Google and Sun link to create web Star Office

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Waylon Kenning, Oct 4, 2005.

  1. See
    http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.asp?feed=FT&Date=20051004&ID=5165603

    Google and Sun Microsystems link online

    Google and Sun Microsystems announced a partnership on Tuesday that
    will offer Sun's word processing and spreadsheet software online
    through Google's websites and toolbars, creating a formidable rival to
    Microsoft's Office software package.

    The deal will allow users to access Sun's Openoffice files and work on
    projects from any personal computer, the companies said in a statement
    on Tuesday.

    Both companies declined earlier in the day to give details of the deal
    in advance of their formal announcement. However, shares in Sun rose 8
    per cent to $4.54 in afternoon trading.

    Shares in Microsoft fell ahead of the announcement, on fears the
    partnership would create a serious challenge to the software company's
    dominance.

    Copyright 2005 Financial Times
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Oct 4, 2005

  2. Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.asp?feed=FT&Date=20051004&ID=5165603
    > Google and Sun Microsystems announced a partnership on Tuesday that
    > will offer Sun's word processing and spreadsheet software online
    > through Google's websites and toolbars, creating a formidable rival to
    > Microsoft's Office software package.

    > The deal will allow users to access Sun's Openoffice files and work on
    > projects from any personal computer, the companies said in a statement
    > on Tuesday.

    It's funny that this is the only place I have heard this side of it... I
    mean I've seen that Sun will offer the google toolbar with JRT
    downloads, and Staroffice downloads, but nothing about them colaborating
    to do "web star office" or similar.

    Google have also said that they'll help distribute Open Office, but
    havent given any details.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 4, 2005

  3. Exactly the FT article sounds a little wrong. I don't see an
    announcement that StarOffice will be offered online through Google
    (yet)

    "Under the agreement, Sun will include the Google Toolbar as an option
    in its consumer downloads of the Java Runtime Environment on
    http://java.com. In addition, the companies have agreed to explore
    opportunities to promote and enhance Sun technologies, like the Java
    Runtime Environment and the OpenOffice.org productivity suite available
    at http://www.openoffice.org."

    Sun's stock price bubbled up this morning on the rumor, and dropped
    like a stone on the news.

    Om Malik's take was fun: Cheap Publicity Ploy.
    http://gigaom.com/2005/10/04/cheap-publicity-ploy/

    Nathan Mercer, Oct 5, 2005
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.asp?feed=FT&Date=20051004&ID=5165603
    >> Google and Sun Microsystems announced a partnership on Tuesday that
    >> will offer Sun's word processing and spreadsheet software online
    >> through Google's websites and toolbars, creating a formidable rival to
    >> Microsoft's Office software package.
    >> The deal will allow users to access Sun's Openoffice files and work on
    >> projects from any personal computer, the companies said in a statement
    >> on Tuesday.

    > It's funny that this is the only place I have heard this side of it...

    found it elsewhere, but it doesn't seem to have been mentioned in the
    press briefing, so I guess this is just reporters stretching the truth
    to make a good story?

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 5, 2005
  5. Waylon Kenning

    PAM. Guest

    I hadn't counted on other office suites to do this before Microsoft & MS
    Office.

    I can see that a small ($0.02C) charge for using it one time would be very
    beneficial to both user and supplier, throgh the web.
    This way, noone needs an office suite, just a dumb terminal connected to the
    'net to access all the apps held elsewhere, for a very small fee, totalling
    up to $$$$ for the companies spplying the product.

    Sometimes the 'net is so predictable.

    PAM.

    PAM., Oct 5, 2005
  6. At least TheReg call a spade a spade

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/04/sun_goog_pressconf/

    Despite what Google-intoxicated hacks would have you believe, Sun and
    the search engine company have not created a stunning anti-Microsoft
    alliance. They have not teamed to end Office's dominance. They haven't
    done vast amounts of business together. No, Sun and Google have paired
    to promote the Google toolbar as an option when users download Java.
    Tremble not, Redmond.

    Few items generate less excitement than toolbar agendas. These days,
    however, just attaching the Google name to an event apparently makes it
    significant. How significant? Well, investors have pushed Sun's shares
    up from close to $3.80 a share yesterday to $4.22 today just on the
    hint that the company might actually do something noteworthy with a
    certain search giant that loves colored balls.

    Instead, we're left with this.

    "Under the agreement, Sun will include the Google Toolbar as an option
    in its consumer downloads of the Java Runtime Environment on
    http://java.com. In addition, the companies have agreed to explore
    opportunities to promote and enhance Sun technologies, like the Java
    Runtime Environment and the OpenOffice.org productivity suite."

    And the Google toolbar isn't even ready for download. It will appear
    "in weeks if not days", according to Sun's CEO, Scott McNealy.

    "We will let everyone know when to go rush the website," he said,
    during a press conference here at the Computer History Museum. "We will
    beef it up a little."

    The problem, however, is that even Google freaks - the types who would
    be excited if the ad broker started conducting mandatory, aggressive
    anal probes under the Fistoogle brand - won't find much to cheer here.
    They've already got the Google toolbar, and are tooling around like,
    well, you know.

    For its part, Sun already serves up more than 20m downloads of Java per
    month. Will the availability of the Google toolbar - something already
    available from Google - make people want to download Java more?

    No, this deal centers more around the obvious - marketing.

    Nathan Mercer, Oct 5, 2005
  7. Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > The problem, however, is that even Google freaks - the types who would
    > be excited if the ad broker started conducting mandatory, aggressive
    > anal probes under the Fistoogle brand - won't find much to cheer here.
    > They've already got the Google toolbar, and are tooling around like,
    > well, you know.

    heh, nice.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 5, 2005
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >> The problem, however, is that even Google freaks - the types who would
    >> be excited if the ad broker started conducting mandatory, aggressive
    >> anal probes under the Fistoogle brand - won't find much to cheer here.
    >> They've already got the Google toolbar, and are tooling around like,
    >> well, you know.

    > heh, nice.

    sorry, just realised that I snipped the URL from the top there, Nathan
    didn't say that, he just copied and pasted it from theregister.co.uk

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 5, 2005
  9. Waylon Kenning

    Evil Bastard Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > Google and Sun Microsystems announced a partnership on Tuesday that
    > will offer Sun's word processing and spreadsheet software online
    > through Google's websites and toolbars, creating a formidable rival to
    > Microsoft's Office software package.

    Worrying trend if people start moving to web-based applications for
    their everyday document processing. Kiss privacy goodbye.

    Call me a luddite, but there's no way in hell I'd depend on a web-based
    service for sensitive documents, unless at the very least all content
    gets encrypted client-side before storage on the server.

    I think I'll be using old-fashioned desktop-side software for quite some
    time to come.

    If one needs the portability of data between different computers, that's
    what USB flash drives were invented for.

    --
    Cheers
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Oct 5, 2005
  10. Waylon Kenning

    PAM. Guest

    "Evil Bastard" <> wrote in message
    > Worrying trend if people start moving to web-based applications for
    > their everyday document processing. Kiss privacy goodbye.
    >
    > Call me a luddite, but there's no way in hell I'd depend on a web-based
    > service for sensitive documents, unless at the very least all content
    > gets encrypted client-side before storage on the server.
    >
    > I think I'll be using old-fashioned desktop-side software for quite some
    > time to come.
    >
    > If one needs the portability of data between different computers, that's
    > what USB flash drives were invented for.

    Luddite
    :)

    PAM

    PAM., Oct 5, 2005
  11. Waylon Kenning

    thingy Guest

    PAM. wrote:
    > I hadn't counted on other office suites to do this before Microsoft & MS
    > Office.
    >
    > I can see that a small ($0.02C) charge for using it one time would be very
    > beneficial to both user and supplier, throgh the web.
    > This way, noone needs an office suite, just a dumb terminal connected to the
    > 'net to access all the apps held elsewhere, for a very small fee, totalling
    > up to $$$$ for the companies spplying the product.
    >
    > Sometimes the 'net is so predictable.
    >
    > PAM.

    MS and Telecom tried this in NZ a year or two back, the idea seemed to
    be MS charged more to use the online version than the $500 odd it cost
    to buy and telecom screwed you over on the internet charges you ran up
    using it....

    So it never took off.....

    Now there is a surprise....

    Given Open Office is free to download I cannnot quite see the point
    except maybe for people that would use it only a few times a month and
    cant be bothered instlling it...unless you can store your docs at google
    on the 1 gig(?) or whatever they give you....then it becomes useful for
    travellers.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 5, 2005
  12. Waylon Kenning

    PAM. Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > Given Open Office is free to download I cannnot quite see the point
    > except maybe for people that would use it only a few times a month and
    > cant be bothered instlling it...unless you can store your docs at google
    > on the 1 gig(?) or whatever they give you....then it becomes useful for
    > travellers.

    I can see many people just using PC's for chat, email, surf , the odd
    document, phone, music, vid and perhaps something else that comes along.
    Using web based technologies, who really needs a huge HDD...etc if you can
    do it all at MSN/Google/Yahoo and leave your stuff there.
    Most stuff does not require security to the 'n'th degree but some people are
    paranoid and some people want to avoid big brother on prnciple. Most people
    don't care.
    So not just travellers. I'm using web based stuff more and more. Mainly due
    to over formatting my C: drive due to my machine not being very compatible
    with Microsoft OS products.
    I have OO but I've only really used it for converting my CV to .pdf and
    saving of my contacts details in .csv.

    PAM.

    PAM., Oct 5, 2005
  13. Waylon Kenning

    randomiser Guest

    "Waylon Kenning" <> wrote in message
    > See
    > http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.asp?feed=FT&Date=20051004&ID=5165603
    >
    > Google and Sun Microsystems link online
    >
    > Google and Sun Microsystems announced a partnership on Tuesday that
    > will offer Sun's word processing and spreadsheet software online
    > through Google's websites and toolbars, creating a formidable rival to
    > Microsoft's Office software package.
    >
    > The deal will allow users to access Sun's Openoffice files and work on
    > projects from any personal computer, the companies said in a statement
    > on Tuesday.
    >
    > Both companies declined earlier in the day to give details of the deal
    > in advance of their formal announcement. However, shares in Sun rose 8
    > per cent to $4.54 in afternoon trading.
    >
    > Shares in Microsoft fell ahead of the announcement, on fears the
    > partnership would create a serious challenge to the software company's
    > dominance.
    >
    > Copyright 2005 Financial Times
    > --
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Waylon Kenning.

    An important thing that people forget in all of this is that web based apps
    suck if you're not connected to the web. If you look at PC statistics for
    the last few years you'll see that notebook sales are climbing and will
    eventually surpass desktop PC sales in most countries. People buy notebooks
    primarily for portability and, until ubiquitous, high-speed, wireless
    internet access is available I don't see something like an online version of
    an office suite doing any damage to the HDD-based versions we all currently
    use. I read this announcement yesterday and thought it was a non-event. Call
    me a cynic :)

    randomiser, Oct 5, 2005
  14. randomiser wrote:
    > I read this announcement yesterday and thought it was a non-event. Call
    > me a cynic :)

    ditto me on that.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site - redesign in progress

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 5, 2005
  15. Waylon Kenning

    Richard Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > randomiser wrote:
    >
    >> I read this announcement yesterday and thought it was a non-event.
    >> Call me a cynic :)

    > ditto me on that.

    Cynic..

    dont forget that in the rest of the word an all you can eat gprs or evdo plan is
    not only affordable, but promoted, so dont write off web-apps on a laptop so fast

    Richard, Oct 6, 2005
  16. >From http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=26734

    GOOGLE HAS confirmed that it will launch free spreadsheet and
    word-processing software online and take on Microsoft in one of its
    biggest markets.

    Under the deal, Google will allow web users to access Sun's OpenOffice
    from a toolbar.

    The other day, when Sun's Scott McNealy and his former employee now
    Google chief Eric Schmidt met up, Sun was wary about doing that.

    When asked point blank, McNealy said it was something to be
    investigated. However Sun's Australian spokesman Paul O'Connor was a
    little more forthright about the deal which he said was "huge".

    He bubbled that the deal was a wake-up call for Microsoft.

    "At the moment most people are used to having to pay for software
    packages, but at the end of the day, the value is in the content and
    services - not in the software itself," he said.

    Waylon Kenning, Oct 6, 2005
  17. Waylon Kenning

    Bling Bling Guest

    On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 16:34:26 -0700, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > "Under the agreement, Sun will include the Google Toolbar as an option
    > in its consumer downloads of the Java Runtime Environment on
    > http://java.com. In addition, the companies have agreed to explore
    > opportunities to promote and enhance Sun technologies, like the Java
    > Runtime Environment and the OpenOffice.org productivity suite."

    Having just finished listening to the press conference at which Sun &
    Google anounced their partnership, it was clear that Google would indeed
    be helping to promote AND to enhance OpenOffice.org.

    Quote: "It's giving the customer choice".

    Bling Bling

    --
    Pamela Jones: "Linux will continue to grow, and open formats and standards
    will continue to be adopted in part because we don't trust Microsoft."

    Bling Bling, Oct 7, 2005
  18. In article <>,
    "Waylon Kenning" <> wrote:

    >>From http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=26734

    >When asked point blank, McNealy said it was something to be
    >investigated. However Sun's Australian spokesman Paul O'Connor was a
    >little more forthright about the deal which he said was "huge".
    >
    >He bubbled that the deal was a wake-up call for Microsoft.

    Any time Scott "Blowhard" McNealy says anything is a "wake-up call for
    Microsoft", my bullshit detector goes to red with audible alarm.

    He and Larry Ellison (Oracle CEO) are basically big mouths. They would
    both love to be where Bill Gates is, but after 15 years of trying, you
    have to conclude that perhaps they have a little bit less of a clue than
    they think they do...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 11, 2005
  19. In article <kzH0f.16083$>,
    "PAM." <> wrote:

    >Using web based technologies, who really needs a huge HDD...

    Because you already have one. You can't _not_ get a PC with a huge hard
    drive these days.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 11, 2005