Google alternatives???

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 29, 2004.

  1. S Roby wrote:
    > I/m getting p8ssed at google searches giving mainly
    > links to online retailers.

    > What are the recommened alternatives that nz.comp'ers are using???

    I use google... but I refine my searches somewhat... check out some of
    the google hacks sites, ways to refine searches etc, there are a heap of
    ways to do things like that.

    ummm, msn's beta search is looking promising.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 29, 2004

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 29, 2004

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Dave Taylor Guest

    le (S Roby) wrote in news:UZpAd.3415$mo2.175407
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > I/m getting p8ssed at google searches giving mainly
    > links to online retailers.
    >
    > What are the recommened alternatives that nz.comp'ers are using???

    I use the jux2 plugin for firefox. I have also used vivisimo.
    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Dec 29, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Dave Taylor, Dec 29, 2004
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    S Roby Guest

    S Roby, Dec 29, 2004
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    impossible Guest

    >S Roby wrote:
    >> I/m getting p8ssed at google searches giving mainly
    >> links to online retailers.

    >> What are the recommened alternatives that nz.comp'ers are using???

    > I use google... but I refine my searches somewhat... check out some of the
    > google hacks sites, ways to refine searches etc, there are a heap of ways
    > to do things like that.

    To customize your search terms, have a look here (very helpful):

    http://www.google.com/help/refinesearch.html

    For example, by cleverly using the (+) and (-) operators, you can filter
    most anything.

    Also, I suggest you consider regularly using Google's "advanced search" page
    here...

    http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en

    ....which lets you standardize on certain options.
    impossible, Dec 29, 2004
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    impossible Guest

    impossible, Dec 29, 2004
  8. On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 05:02:37 GMT, le (S Roby) wrote:

    >I/m getting p8ssed at google searches giving mainly
    >links to online retailers.
    >
    >What are the recommened alternatives that nz.comp'ers are using???

    Try http://www.altavista.com/

    They were the leader before Google

    Or you could also try Copernic as search shell.

    http://www.copernic.com/
    Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 29, 2004

    Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 29, 2004
  10. On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 05:02:37 GMT, le (S Roby) wrote:

    >I/m getting p8ssed at google searches giving mainly
    >links to online retailers.
    >
    >What are the recommened alternatives that nz.comp'ers are using???

    I think Google has gotten worse lately. Although it is still the main
    search engine I use. Often other search engines will have pages that
    aren't even in Google's index.

    Some good ones are

    Teoma http://www.teoma.com/
    Alltheweb http://www.alltheweb.com/
    Yahoo http://search.yahoo.com/

    And Altavista http://www.altavista.com/ can come in useful at times.

    Note that Alltheweb and Altavista are both ultimately owned by Yahoo,
    but seem to offer different results than the Yahoo search.

    Search.com is a useful meta-search engine from cnet that combines the
    results of some of the popular search engines.

    --
    cw
    Charlie Watkins, Dec 30, 2004

    Charlie Watkins, Dec 30, 2004
  12. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    steve Guest

    S Roby wrote:

    > I/m getting p8ssed at google searches giving mainly
    > links to online retailers.

    Really? This hasn't been happening to me......Guess it depends on what you
    search for and how.....
    steve, Dec 30, 2004
  13. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    steve Guest

    steve, Dec 30, 2004
  14. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    JB Guest

    Re: Google alternatives??? (Humour)

    Hi

    To turn things around a bit try this one. It's a mirror site for Google

    http://www.alltooflat.com/geeky/elgoog/

    Cheers

    JB

    JB, Jan 4, 2005