    I look forward to seeing new forums for topics from 0.akita.inu to
    zzz.3 bursting into life on the Vodafone website.

    Cheers, Rhino

    Rhino, Jun 5, 2011

  2. Rhino

    dave Guest

    On 06/06/11 00:13, Rhino wrote:
    > Vodafone has decided to shut down the NNTP server.
    >
    > According to their PR spin, we can all discuss things on the Vodafone
    > Forum web pages!!!
    >
    > It would appears that nobody has told VF that Usenet has over 110,000
    > newsgroups, according to my paid service Supernews.
    >
    > I look forward to seeing new forums for topics from 0.akita.inu to
    > zzz.3 bursting into life on the Vodafone website.
    >
    > Cheers, Rhino

    Shhhh ...
    They seem to have forgotten they said the 4th
    Dave D

    dave, Jun 5, 2011

  3. Rhino <> writes:

    > Vodafone has decided to shut down the NNTP server.
    >
    > According to their PR spin, we can all discuss things on the Vodafone
    > Forum web pages!!!
    >
    > It would appears that nobody has told VF that Usenet has over 110,000
    > newsgroups, according to my paid service Supernews.

    Speaking of which, are there any New Zealand Usenet servers for those of
    us whose ISPs don't provide Usenet access? I was able to find a few
    public Usenet servers (ended up going with <http://www.aioe.org/>), but
    none in New Zealand.

    Regards,
    Aidan Gauland

    Aidan Gauland, Jun 5, 2011
  4. Rhino

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 00:13:38 +1200, in message <>
    Rhino wrote:

    > It would appears that nobody has told VF that Usenet has over 110,000
    > newsgroups, according to my paid service Supernews.
    >
    > I look forward to seeing new forums for topics from 0.akita.inu to
    > zzz.3 bursting into life on the Vodafone website.

    Supernews may well have over 110,000 newsgroups, but there are not
    over 110,000 newsgroups bursting with life on Supernews.

    Looking just at nz.* groups, Supernews has around 43 nz.* newsgroups [1].
    Of the 43

    26 are dead
    5 are wastelands of spam and effectively dead
    7 are barely limping along with a couple of posts a year
    5 are actually active.

    _____________
    [1] FOOTNOTE:
    Some pedant may jump in and say there are not 43 non-bogus groups
    in the nz.* hierarchy. That might be correct, but Rhino's figure
    of 110,000 includes bogus groups.

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Jun 5, 2011
  5. On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 08:49:10 +1200, Aidan Gauland
    <> wrote:

    >Rhino <> writes:
    >
    >> Vodafone has decided to shut down the NNTP server.
    >>
    >> According to their PR spin, we can all discuss things on the Vodafone
    >> Forum web pages!!!
    >>
    >> It would appears that nobody has told VF that Usenet has over 110,000
    >> newsgroups, according to my paid service Supernews.

    >Speaking of which, are there any New Zealand Usenet servers for those of
    >us whose ISPs don't provide Usenet access? I was able to find a few
    >public Usenet servers (ended up going with <http://www.aioe.org/>), but
    >none in New Zealand.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Aidan Gauland

    There are no free one but Actrix does have a feed.

    external-september is the one most used here.

    Frank Williams, Jun 6, 2011