    Is Michael Jackson guilty? What's the best song Greatful Dead song?
    , etc, etc.

    Who needs it.

    Michael P Gabriel, Apr 13, 2004

  2. Michael P Gabriel

    Andrew Guest

    On 13 Apr 2004 06:54:54 -0700, (Michael P Gabriel)
    wrote:

    >I got on to photo.digital and the first 7 posts had nothing to do with
    >photography, but had everything to do with lonely people whose on;y
    >contact is the outside world through Google, with stupid sophomoric
    >subjects.

    I only subscribed to the group a week ago and as I use a decent
    newsreader, I quickly killfiled all the idiots and now find it to be a
    very useful group.

    Using google to regularly read Usenet is by far the worst way of doing
    it.
    please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.

    Andrew, Apr 13, 2004

  3. Michael P Gabriel

    Ken Burns Guest

    "Michael P Gabriel" <> wrote in message
    > I got on to photo.digital and the first 7 posts had nothing to do with
    > photography, but had everything to do with lonely people whose on;y
    > contact is the outside world through Google, with stupid sophomoric
    > subjects.
    >
    > If someone can killfile these imbeciles it might be worth trying
    > again sometime later.
    >

    > Is Michael Jackson guilty? What's the best song Greatful Dead song?
    > , etc, etc.
    >
    > Who needs it.

    This problem plagues almost all Usenet newsgroups since most of them are
    unmonitored. You have to do the killfiling yourself or with filtering
    software.

    Ken Burns, Apr 13, 2004
  4. Michael P Gabriel

    Charlie Self Guest

    Michael Gabreil states:

    >I got on to photo.digital and the first 7 posts had nothing to do with
    >photography, but had everything to do with lonely people whose on;y
    >contact is the outside world through Google, with stupid sophomoric
    >subjects.
    >
    > If someone can killfile these imbeciles it might be worth trying
    >again sometime later.

    It's kind of a do-it-yourself project. No one can do it for you.

    Charlie Self
    "If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our
    institutions, great is our sin." Charles Darwin

    Charlie Self, Apr 13, 2004
  5. Michael P Gabriel

    Dan J. S. Guest

    > I got on to photo.digital and the first 7 posts had nothing to do with
    > photography, but had everything to do with lonely people whose on;y
    > contact is the outside world through Google, with stupid sophomoric
    > subjects.
    >
    > If someone can killfile these imbeciles it might be worth trying
    > again sometime later.
    >

    > Is Michael Jackson guilty? What's the best song Greatful Dead song?
    > , etc, etc.
    >
    > Who needs it.

    When you join a club, and the topic shifts to something not related to the
    club, would you quit it? If so, it means you are inflexible and are not
    charismatic person, and no one would miss you anyway.

    Dan J. S., Apr 13, 2004
  6. Michael P Gabriel

    George Kerby Guest

    On 4/13/04 8:54 AM, in article
    , "Michael P Gabriel"
    <> wrote:

    > I got on to photo.digital and the first 7 posts had nothing to do with
    > photography, but had everything to do with lonely people whose on;y
    > contact is the outside world through Google, with stupid sophomoric
    > subjects.
    >
    > If someone can killfile these imbeciles it might be worth trying
    > again sometime later.
    >

    > Is Michael Jackson guilty? What's the best song Greatful Dead song?
    > , etc, etc.
    >
    > Who needs it.

    Don't take it so hard.

    There is a lot in the world besides this Funhouse. Live it...

    George Kerby, Apr 13, 2004
  7. Michael P Gabriel

    mark_digital Guest

    :I got on to photo.digital and the first 7 posts had nothing to do with
    :photography, but had everything to do with lonely people whose only
    :contact is the outside world through Google, with stupid sophomoric
    :subjects.

    :If someone can killfile these imbeciles it might be worth trying
    :again sometime later.

    :Is Michael Jackson guilty? What's the best song Greatful Dead song?
    :etc, etc.

    :Who needs it.
    --------
    Your reaction is similiar to a person taking a tour inside a factory
    and becoming upset when they hear talk that isn't business related.
    If you come here with no clear intent and just want to browse,
    your eyes will catch everything.
    mark_

    mark_digital, Apr 13, 2004
  8. "Dan J. S." <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Michael P Gabriel" <> wrote in message
    > > I got on to photo.digital and the first 7 posts had nothing to do with
    > > photography, but had everything to do with lonely people whose on;y
    > > contact is the outside world through Google, with stupid sophomoric
    > > subjects.
    > >
    > > If someone can killfile these imbeciles it might be worth trying
    > > again sometime later.
    > >

    > > Is Michael Jackson guilty? What's the best song Greatful Dead song?
    > > , etc, etc.
    > >
    > > Who needs it.

    > When you join a club, and the topic shifts to something not related to the
    > club, would you quit it? If so, it means you are inflexible and are not
    > charismatic person, and no one would miss you anyway.

    Thanks for those nice words, Dan!

    Michael P Gabriel, Apr 13, 2004
  9. Michael P Gabriel

    Dan J. S. Guest

    > > "Michael P Gabriel" <> wrote in message
    > > > I got on to photo.digital and the first 7 posts had nothing to do with
    > > > photography, but had everything to do with lonely people whose on;y
    > > > contact is the outside world through Google, with stupid sophomoric
    > > > subjects.
    > > >
    > > > If someone can killfile these imbeciles it might be worth trying
    > > > again sometime later.
    > > >

    > > > Is Michael Jackson guilty? What's the best song Greatful Dead song?
    > > > , etc, etc.
    > > >
    > > > Who needs it.

    > > When you join a club, and the topic shifts to something not related to

    the
    > > club, would you quit it? If so, it means you are inflexible and are not
    > > charismatic person, and no one would miss you anyway.

    > Thanks for those nice words, Dan!

    I am just BSing anyway... You are probably a nice person...

    Dan

    Dan J. S., Apr 13, 2004
  10. Michael P Gabriel

    Alan Browne Guest

    Michael P Gabriel wrote:
    > I got on to photo.digital and the first 7 posts had nothing to do with
    > photography, but had everything to do with lonely people whose on;y
    > contact is the outside world through Google, with stupid sophomoric
    > subjects.
    >
    > If someone can killfile these imbeciles it might be worth trying
    > again sometime later.

    Best defence is a good offence. Stick around. Read what interests you,
    ignore what doesn't. Be a positive contributor. Use filters if that
    helps. One thing that makes this NG a sweet target for the troll(s) is
    the imense popularity and capabilites of digital cameras and so many
    people who want to discuss them.... so many personality types and NG
    'newbies', etc.

    Ignore the trolls, setup filters (google for a very effective means of
    filtering that ignores x-posted posts).

    They really can't take that. Attention is their food and oxygen. They
    are very easy to starve.

    _____________________
    /| /| | |
    ||__|| | Please do not |
    / O O\__ | feed the |
    / \ | Trolls |
    / \ \|_____________________|
    / _ \ \ ||
    / |\____\ \ ||
    / | | | |\____/ ||
    / \|_|_|/ | _||
    / / \ |____| ||
    / | | | --|
    | | | |____ --|
    * _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
    *-- _--\ _ \ | ||
    / _ \\ | / `'
    * / \_ /- | | |
    * ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

    Alan Browne, Apr 13, 2004
  11. Michael P Gabriel

    Steve Young Guest

    > > Michael P Gabriel wrote:
    > > I got on to photo.digital and the first 7 posts had nothing to do with
    > > photography, but had everything to do with lonely people whose on;y
    > > contact is the outside world through Google, with stupid sophomoric
    > > subjects.

    > > If someone can killfile these imbeciles it might be worth trying
    > > again sometime later.

    Usenet is full of this crap these days, I think it must be part of the fun,
    though I've never quite gotten used to it. It does offend many newbies and
    cause them to scatter. :(

    "Alan Browne" <> wrote
    > Best defence is a good offence. Stick around. Read what
    > interests you,
    > ignore what doesn't. Be a positive contributor. Use filters if that
    > helps. One thing that makes this NG a sweet target for the troll(s) is
    > the imense popularity and capabilites of digital cameras and so many
    > people who want to discuss them.... so many personality types and NG
    > 'newbies', etc.

    > Ignore the trolls, setup filters (google for a very effective means of
    > filtering that ignores x-posted posts).

    Not so on the crossposts, don't you remeber getting caught not to long ago?
    (flaming in some groups you don't normally read?)

    > They really can't take that. Attention is their food and oxygen. They
    > are very easy to starve.

    why hasn't 6 months starved them?

    can you say "mission" ? that's how it reads to me

    Like the Anni style photo reviews posted by Jim ?
    though he seems a bit more crude than Anni's silver tongue
    (I see you were accused of tapping the archive again;)

    --
    A newbie's first Usenet encounter occurs without a prophylactic

    Steve Young, Apr 14, 2004
  12. On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 04:58:41 GMT, "Steve Young"
    <> wrote:

    >> > Michael P Gabriel wrote:
    >> > I got on to photo.digital and the first 7 posts had nothing to do with
    >> > photography, but had everything to do with lonely people whose on;y
    >> > contact is the outside world through Google, with stupid sophomoric
    >> > subjects.

    >> > If someone can killfile these imbeciles it might be worth trying
    >> > again sometime later.

    >Usenet is full of this crap these days, I think it must be part of the fun,
    >though I've never quite gotten used to it. It does offend many newbies and
    >cause them to scatter. :(

    And it's a whole lot better than the barren, moderated groups.
    They still let political posts through there too.
    I found that very disappointing.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Apr 14, 2004
  13. Michael P Gabriel

    Andrew Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Usenet is full of this crap these days,

    Yeah, and web forums are just the fonts of all knowledge in comparison
    aren't they.
    please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.

    Andrew, Apr 14, 2004
  14. Michael P Gabriel

    Emma Knaps Guest

    (Michael P Gabriel) wrote:

    > I got on to photo.digital and the first 7 posts had nothing to do with
    > photography, but had everything to do with lonely people whose on;y
    > contact is the outside world through Google, with stupid sophomoric
    > subjects.

    A couple of years ago Usenet was a very nice place where a lot of
    usefull information could be found and serious discussion was in
    fact possible.

    Then the floodgates opened (WebTV, AOL, etc.) and thousands of
    idiots suddenly had access to the internet. It didn't take long for
    them to figure out that it was more fun to post rubbish to newsgroups
    than to just some minor chatboard on the WWW. So now there's an ever
    growing problem of sick fucks spoiling the pleasant Usenet experience.

    Unfortunately, there's not much you can do. Ignoring them seems to
    be the best thing to do. Which is especially hard for n00bs who
    let their buttons be pushed by the tr0lls all the time.

    I'm all for mandatory IQ tests or a minimum education-level before
    giving someone access to the internet </cynism>

    Emma Knaps, Apr 14, 2004
  15. Michael P Gabriel

    Charlie Self Guest

    Emma Knaps writes:

    >A couple of years ago Usenet was a very nice place where a lot of
    >usefull information could be found and serious discussion was in
    >fact possible.
    >
    >Then the floodgates opened (WebTV, AOL, etc.) and thousands of
    >idiots suddenly had access to the internet.

    Odd. Every single bit of the offensive trash I've seen comes from someplace
    other than AOL or Web TV. A great deal of it seems to require knowledge or
    equipment that is beyond Web TV, or what I know of it, and most of it is beyond
    the technical competence of most AOL members.

    But, hey, what the hell. Blame whomever you wish. It relieves your feelings.

    Charlie Self, Apr 14, 2004
  16. Michael P Gabriel

    zbzbzb Guest

    >>A couple of years ago Usenet was a very nice place where a lot of
    >>usefull information could be found and serious discussion was in
    >>fact possible.
    >>
    >>Then the floodgates opened (WebTV, AOL, etc.) and thousands of
    >>idiots suddenly had access to the internet.

    >Odd. Every single bit of the offensive trash I've seen comes from someplace
    >other than AOL or Web TV. A great deal of it seems to require knowledge or
    >equipment that is beyond Web TV, or what I know of it, and most of it is
    >beyond
    >the technical competence of most AOL members.

    Well, the AOL newsreader doesn't allow cross posting for one thing. It also
    doesn't allow the posting of binary files, although it will allow them being
    downloaded and will display images. It is a basic newsreader that works well
    but doesn't have alot of what really can be considered fluff.

    >But, hey, what the hell. Blame whomever you wish. It relieves your feelings.
    >

    >Charlie Self

    Unfortunately AOL users are always an easy target since they are the largest
    target.

    zbzbzb, Apr 14, 2004
  17. Michael P Gabriel

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <>,
    Emma Knaps <> wrote:
    > (Michael P Gabriel) wrote:
    >
    >> I got on to photo.digital and the first 7 posts had nothing to do with
    >> photography, but had everything to do with lonely people whose on;y
    >> contact is the outside world through Google, with stupid sophomoric
    >> subjects.

    >A couple of years ago Usenet was a very nice place where a lot of
    >usefull information could be found and serious discussion was in
    >fact possible.

    A *couple* of years ago? The Eternal September started in 1993 - over a
    decade ago now.

    Hmm, I'm feeling old now.

    Chris Brown, Apr 14, 2004
  18. Michael P Gabriel

    Don Stauffer Guest

    A better newsreader wouldn't help me. The problem for me is my ISP has
    a slow news server, and I only have a dialup connection. It takes
    forever to download subject lines. Using a killfile, I still need to
    download that list. So I am also considering leaving rpd. It just
    wastes too much time downloading subject lines.

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, Apr 14, 2004
  19. Michael P Gabriel

    Andrew Guest

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 08:29:10 -0500, Don Stauffer
    <> wrote:

    >A better newsreader wouldn't help me. The problem for me is my ISP has
    >a slow news server, and I only have a dialup connection.

    Use another news server then, there are several free or cheap
    alternatives.
    please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.

    Andrew, Apr 14, 2004
  20. Michael P Gabriel

    Steve Young Guest

    > > "Steve Young" <> wrote:

    > >Usenet is full of this crap these days,

    > "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote
    > Yeah, and web forums are just the fonts of all knowledge in comparison
    > aren't they.

    It's beginning to look like it, the evidence is clear, with the successes of
    the Alfred Molons, harvesting Usenet to build large web based forums, people
    are fleeing Usenet.

    Why should a person have to endure the smut to collect the dwindling nuggets
    of knowledge? why does Usenet have to be this way? driving away the new
    participants. It's like business chasing away new customers, only to attract
    deadbeats. All so a miscreant can holler fire in a crowded theater? this is
    stoopid, stoopid, stoopid!

    Usenet is not able to attract and keep new blood, so it is dying on the vine

    Folks, enjoy the smut and flaming, because,
    by refusing to compete or clean up the mess, Usenet will get what's left.
    It is in fact headed to being a den of iniquity.

    Steve Young

    --
    A newbie's first Usenet encounter occurs without a prophylactic

    Steve Young, Apr 14, 2004