Goodbye, Netscape.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Ralph Fox, Jul 16, 2003.

  1. Ralph Fox

    Ralph Fox Guest

    Ralph Fox, Jul 16, 2003

  2. Ralph Fox

    Who is this Guest

    In article <bo7Ra.5184$>,
    Steve <> wrote:

    > Ralph Fox allegedly said:
    >

    > > http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=3422
    > >

    > > | ... AOL has cut or will cut the remaining team working on Mozilla
    > > | in a mass firing and are dismantling what was left of Netscape
    > > | (they've even pulled the logos off the buildings).

    > Also worth distinguishing between Netscape and Mozilla.
    >
    > Mozilla is open source and development continues.

    So is safari for the macintosh and it performs a dman sight better

    Who is this, Jul 16, 2003

  3. In article <>,
    -echo.invalid says...

    > http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=3422

    The question beggars asking: w.t.f. did AOL ever bother buying Netscape?
    This seems somewhat reminiscent of Corporate Raiderdom. Or just plain
    stupidity.

    Having said that I must admit that I stopped using Netscape some months
    after Netscape 7 came out, with its compulsory 'activation' that wouldn't
    work thorugh firewalls, had to be re-activated on every damn reinstall,
    'active installers' that wouldn't work through the firewall, blah blah
    blah: out-mickeying Mickeysoft by installing all kinds of bells and
    whistles and chrome I didn't want even when told not to in a custom
    install.
    I got just plain sick of it and went over to using Mozilla and Opera in
    turns. (still do)

    Even so, I hate to see any, I mean ANY competitor to Mickeysoft go down
    shipwrecked. And Netscape had ever so much more mana than the other
    contenders.

    my 2 cent's worth -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jul 16, 2003
  4. Ralph Fox

    Who is this Guest

    In article <k8bRa.5253$>,
    Steve <> wrote:

    > Who is this allegedly said:
    >
    > >> Mozilla is open source and development continues.

    > > So is safari for the macintosh and it performs a dman sight better

    > Galeon is probably the Linux equivalent.

    based on the khtml engine ?

    Who is this, Jul 16, 2003
  5. Ralph Fox

    Who is this Guest

    In article <>,
    Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    > Even so, I hate to see any, I mean ANY competitor to Mickeysoft go down
    > shipwrecked. And Netscape had ever so much more mana than the other
    > contenders.
    >
    > my 2 cent's worth -P.

    I stop using netscape years ago when it would not print about 30-40% of
    the web pages I wanted to print. I switched to IE but have been using
    safari ever since it came out.

    Who is this, Jul 16, 2003
  6. Ralph Fox

    k y l e Guest

    "Ralph Fox" <-echo.invalid> wrote in
    message news:...

    > http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=3422
    >

    > | ... AOL has cut or will cut the remaining team working on Mozilla
    > | in a mass firing and are dismantling what was left of Netscape
    > | (they've even pulled the logos off the buildings).

    Used it once in the early days, and again recently when IE6 was well and
    truly The King. I'm not gonna miss it. Good riddance.

    k y l e, Jul 16, 2003
  7. Ralph Fox

    Jay Guest

    Julian Visch wrote:

    > Steve wrote:
    >
    >> Ralph Fox allegedly said:
    >>

    >>>http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=3422

    >> Also worth distinguishing between Netscape and Mozilla.
    >>
    >> Mozilla is open source and development continues.

    > I use both Mozilla and Konqueror, hopefully we won't get more idiots
    > having IE only sites.
    > Have tried IE and it is a piece of garbage doesn't even work well on its
    > own OS, on other OSs it is a dog.

    Just edit you own agent id in ~/.mozilla/xxxx/yyyyy/user.js

    Something like this works well for every site I know of:

    user_pref("general.useragent.override", "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE
    5.01; Windows 98;)");

    The only catch is that you must use /5.0 if you want Java plugin to work.

    Jay, Jul 17, 2003
  8. Ralph Fox

    Steve Guest

    Jay allegedly said:

    > Steve wrote:

    >>> So is safari for the macintosh and it performs a dman sight better

    >> Galeon is probably the Linux equivalent.
    >>

    > No it isn't.
    > Galeon uses the Mozilla engine.

    I meant in terms of performance.

    WIT said Safari performed a damn sight better.

    --
    Steve

    Steve, Jul 17, 2003
  9. Ralph Fox

    Steve Guest

    Julian Visch allegedly said:

    > I use both Mozilla and Konqueror, hopefully we won't get more idiots
    > having IE only sites.

    I usually sent a very short note to the webmaster asking them to support
    alternatives and expressing my regret that I wasn't able to properly see
    what they were offering. If it is a commerical site, I name their
    competitors (if they support Mozilla better - and they usually do).

    Few sites are IE only.

    --
    Steve

    Steve, Jul 17, 2003
  10. Ralph Fox

    Steve Guest

    Jay allegedly said:

    > Just edit you own agent id in ~/.mozilla/xxxx/yyyyy/user.js
    >
    > Something like this works well for every site I know of:
    >
    > user_pref("general.useragent.override", "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE
    > 5.01; Windows 98;)");
    >
    > The only catch is that you must use /5.0 if you want Java plugin to work.

    The problem is they then think a Mozilla user is an IE user.

    --
    Steve

    Steve, Jul 17, 2003
  11. Ralph Fox

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:06:57 +1200, k y l e wrote:

    > Used it once in the early days, and again recently when IE6 was well and
    > truly The King. I'm not gonna miss it. Good riddance.

    Look in the *early* days MSIE was not even a consideration by Bill Gates.
    Netscape reigned above the then rest. If it dies it was a fore runner of
    the blandness that was/does follow.

    Gordon, Jul 17, 2003
  12. Ralph Fox

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 08:58:46 +1200, Peter <>
    wrote:

    >this quote is from Jay of Thu, 17 Jul 2003 20:25 :
    >>
    >> If people want to believe that everyone is using IE - so what?
    >> Doesn't/shouldn't make any difference to anything.

    >It shouldn't make any difference, but in reality - it does.
    >
    >For one thing, dim witted web designers will take this supposedly high % of
    >IE users as reassurance that they should continue to design pages for IE
    >and not to proper standards.
    >
    >Secondly, most people follow the pack rather than think for themselves.
    >After all, 50% of them are of less than average intelligence. This "follow
    >the pack" syndrome seems even stronger in business purchases and decisions.
    >
    >Ideally, people should make a decision on which browser to use based on
    >rational assessment of objective criteria. But reality is somewhat
    >different.

    Actually, 50% of people are less than the median of the distribution
    of intelligence.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 19, 2003
  13. Ralph Fox

    Jay Guest

    Lennier wrote:

    > On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 11:14:54 +1200, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> Actually, 50% of people are less than the median of the distribution of
    >> intelligence.

    > The median is one method of assessing what is average.

    No, only the average or mean does that.
    The media is the middle value. It does not assess the average.

    > So also is the mean.

    The mean is a synonym for average.

    > You probably already know this...

    More than you might think.

    Jay, Jul 19, 2003
  14. Ralph Fox

    Eagle Eye Guest

    "Jay" <> wrote in message

    > >> No, only the average or mean does that. The media is the middle value.
    > >> It does not assess the average.

    > > Please note the difference between "The average" and "average".
    > >

    > The average *is* the average!

    ....and this is a good example of getting off-topic!!

    Eagle Eye, Jul 19, 2003
  15. Ralph Fox

    Jay Guest

    Eagle Eye wrote:

    > "Jay" <> wrote in message

    >> > Please note the difference between "The average" and "average".
    >> >

    >> The average *is* the average!
    >>

    > ...and this is a good example of getting off-topic!!

    cat kettle black

    Jay, Jul 19, 2003
  16. Ralph Fox

    anton Guest

    Peter <> wrote in

    > this quote is from Jay of Thu, 17 Jul 2003 20:25 :
    >>
    >> If people want to believe that everyone is using IE - so what?
    >> Doesn't/shouldn't make any difference to anything.

    > It shouldn't make any difference, but in reality - it does.
    >
    > For one thing, dim witted web designers will take this supposedly high
    > % of IE users as reassurance that they should continue to design pages
    > for IE and not to proper standards.

    Here's a thought: if you want an internet resource to look the same in
    all browsers, exactly the same, and to work in as many browsers as
    possible, use flash.

    "98.4% of Web users can experience Macromedia Flash content without
    having to download and install a player."
    (http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/survey/)

    Well, its a bit less for flash 6 , but its not too shabby.

    59% are using IE 6, and 34% are using IE5
    (http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2003/May/browser.php) - 93% of the
    market, and those figures will always be biased towards newer browsers as
    people with older broswers don't surf as as much, so are
    underrepresented.

    With flash you don't have to worry about javascript being turned off (13%
    according to thecounter.com), and a well designed flash site (check out
    www.macromedia.com) is fast to download and full of juicy interactive
    goodness. Hell, the next version is going to handle SOAP natively - it
    already handles XML and you can talk to your video camera and microphone
    to do video conferencing just with flash already.

    I know there are flash haters out there, and I was one myself, but I tend
    to find a little education about the .swf format and its possibilites
    usually wins over all but the most crusty BOFHs.

    aa

    anton, Jul 19, 2003
  17. On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 09:13:35 +0000, anton wrote:

    > Here's a thought: if you want an internet resource to look the same in
    > all browsers, exactly the same, and to work in as many browsers as
    > possible, use flash.

    I see you want litigation for discrimination against blind users.

    > "98.4% of Web users can experience Macromedia Flash content without
    > having to download and install a player."
    > (http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/survey/)

    Uh huh. And I'm Pope Pious X too.

    This machine doesn't do Flash and I like it that way.

    The REAL answer is: If you want an internet resource to look the same in
    all browsers and to work in as many browsers as possible, use the W3C
    validator to ensuire your code is standards compliant.

    > Well, its a bit less for flash 6 , but its not too shabby.

    Use of flash is usually compensation for being an incompetent web page
    author. Eye candy is extra, not the core.

    > 59% are using IE 6, and 34% are using IE5
    > (http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2003/May/browser.php)

    Never mind that many browsers spoof responses of those 2, to avoid
    incompetent dickheads using broswer type resposnes to redirect them off to
    pages exorting them to download the latest MS trojan horse.

    > With flash you don't have to worry about javascript being turned off (13%
    > according to thecounter.com), and a well designed flash site (check out
    > www.macromedia.com) is fast to download and full of juicy interactive
    > goodness.

    You've never run flash on a p166. I'm using one of those right now. You've
    also never tried to use flash on a PDA such as my (work) Ipaq 3970 with PC
    card back, GPS and wireless cards.

    > I know there are flash haters out there, and I was one myself, but I tend
    > to find a little education about the .swf format and its possibilites
    > usually wins over all but the most crusty BOFHs.

    Grow up. Use of flash exclusively is a fast way of losing business - and
    the client you write the pages for will never realise it, because the
    people who go elsewhere will never bother to tell him.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jul 19, 2003
  18. Ralph Fox

    Mark Harris Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:14:00 +1200, pbs
    <> wrote:

    [an excellent post snipped - go look it up]

    Wooohoooo! Memories. Thanks for that. I had that Andreessen post
    archived for a long time until a disk crash. Nice to see it again. and
    thanks for the links.

    cheers

    mark

    --
    "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
    - George Santanaya

    Mark Harris, Jul 20, 2003
  19. On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:14:00 +1200, pbs
    <> wrote

    >MS was faced with the next generation of PCs running UNIX so he bought
    >the source code ripped off ideas

    You are being stupid, if he bought the source code he didn't "rip
    off ideas", if he had taken the ideas without paying for them that
    would be ripping off.

    Captain Beaky, Jul 21, 2003
  20. Ralph Fox

    pbs Guest

    Captain Beaky wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:14:00 +1200, pbs
    > <> wrote
    >

    >>MS was faced with the next generation of PCs running UNIX so he bought
    >>the source code ripped off ideas

    > You are being stupid, if he bought the source code he didn't "rip
    > off ideas", if he had taken the ideas without paying for them that
    > would be ripping off.

    I'll rephrase:

    Microsoft was so impressed by UNIX that they decided to incoporate some
    of the ideas used in UNIX into QDOS^H^H^H^H their own operating system.

    http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa033099.htm

    However given the following quote I suspect that Bill Gates would use
    my original wording :)

    "No, Steve, I think its more like we both have a rich neighbor named
    Xerox, and you broke in to steal the TV set, and you found out I'd been
    there first, and you said. 'Hey that's no fair! I wanted to steal the TV
    set!' - Bill Gates' response after Steve Jobs accused Microsoft of
    borrowing the GUI (Graphical User Interface) from Apple for Windows 1.0*

    http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa043099.htm

    pbs, Jul 22, 2003