Goodbye DVD Planet

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by OldNKranky, Oct 19, 2003.

  1. OldNKranky

    OldNKranky Guest

    I have usually ignored the complaints about DVD Planet that I've read on the
    newsgroups because I had not experienced any problems with their service.
    Now I wish I had listened. I e-mailed DVD Planet at the beginning of this
    month so I could cancel a pre-order that I had made. I needed to cancel the
    order because of a financial situation that left me too broke to afford the
    order (the order was for the Indiana Jones box set and the Golden Age of
    Looney Tunes box). Today I received the Indiana Jones box set. When I
    called to complain I was told that their e-mail has been down for two weeks
    and the cancellation conformation I received by e-mail was automated. When
    I asked them how I was going to get to work with no gas money they told me
    that they would send me a return sticker so I wouldn't need to pay postage.
    They refused to refund the money until they received the returned order.
    The return process can take two weeks easy. Monday I'm filing a complaint
    with the State Attorney Generals Office and the Better Business Bureau. I
    realize that the BBB and Attorney General will probably not amount to much,
    but it will cost DVD Planet time, which equals money, to answer the
    complaint. If this costs them enough, maybe they'll fix the e-mail, which
    by the way is still not working, and the streamline the order cancellation
    process.

    OldNKranky, Oct 19, 2003

  2. OldNKranky

    Mac Breck Guest

    "OldNKranky" <> wrote in message
    > I have usually ignored the complaints about DVD Planet that I've read on

    the
    > newsgroups because I had not experienced any problems with their service.
    > Now I wish I had listened. I e-mailed DVD Planet at the beginning of this
    > month so I could cancel a pre-order that I had made. I needed to cancel

    the
    > order because of a financial situation that left me too broke to afford

    the
    > order (the order was for the Indiana Jones box set and the Golden Age of
    > Looney Tunes box). Today I received the Indiana Jones box set. When I
    > called to complain I was told that their e-mail has been down for two

    weeks
    > and the cancellation conformation I received by e-mail was automated.

    When
    > I asked them how I was going to get to work with no gas money they told me
    > that they would send me a return sticker so I wouldn't need to pay

    postage.
    > They refused to refund the money until they received the returned order.
    > The return process can take two weeks easy. Monday I'm filing a complaint
    > with the State Attorney Generals Office and the Better Business Bureau. I
    > realize that the BBB and Attorney General will probably not amount to

    much,
    > but it will cost DVD Planet time, which equals money, to answer the
    > complaint. If this costs them enough, maybe they'll fix the e-mail, which
    > by the way is still not working, and the streamline the order cancellation
    > process.

    Oh brother! If this is actually true, *you* were working too close to the
    edge of your finances. That's not their fault.

    --
    Mac Breck (KoshN) - from the desktop PC
    -------------------------------

    Mac Breck, Oct 19, 2003

  3. OldNKranky

    Scanz Guest

    "OldNKranky" <> wrote in

    > I e-mailed DVD Planet at
    > the beginning of this month so I could cancel a pre-order that I had
    > made. I needed to cancel the order because of a financial situation
    > that left me too broke to afford the order (the order was for the
    > Indiana Jones box set and the Golden Age of Looney Tunes box). Today
    > I received the Indiana Jones box set. When I called to complain I was
    > told that their e-mail has been down for two weeks and the
    > cancellation conformation I received by e-mail was automated. When
    > I asked them how I was going to get to work with no gas money they
    > told me that they would send me a return sticker so I wouldn't need to
    > pay postage. They refused to refund the money until they received the
    > returned order. The return process can take two weeks easy. Monday
    > I'm filing a complaint with the State Attorney Generals Office and the
    > Better Business Bureau. I realize that the BBB and Attorney General
    > will probably not amount to much, but it will cost DVD Planet time,
    > which equals money, to answer the complaint. If this costs them
    > enough, maybe they'll fix the e-mail, which by the way is still not
    > working, and the streamline the order cancellation process.

    Why are you spending $100+ on DVD box sets when you don't have enough
    money to put gas in your car? You obviously never had much expendable
    cash to begin with. I wouldn't expect DVD Planet to be liable for your
    inability to set your own prioritiesno matter what the case.

    Scanz, Oct 19, 2003
  4. OldNKranky

    Scott P Guest

    On 19 Oct 2003 13:33:49 GMT, "Mac Breck" <>
    wrote:

    >"OldNKranky" <> wrote in message
    >> I have usually ignored the complaints about DVD Planet that I've read on

    >the
    >> newsgroups because I had not experienced any problems with their service.
    >> Now I wish I had listened. I e-mailed DVD Planet at the beginning of this
    >> month so I could cancel a pre-order that I had made. I needed to cancel

    >the
    >> order because of a financial situation that left me too broke to afford

    >the
    >> order (the order was for the Indiana Jones box set and the Golden Age of
    >> Looney Tunes box). Today I received the Indiana Jones box set. When I
    >> called to complain I was told that their e-mail has been down for two

    >weeks
    >> and the cancellation conformation I received by e-mail was automated.

    >When
    >> I asked them how I was going to get to work with no gas money they told me
    >> that they would send me a return sticker so I wouldn't need to pay

    >postage.
    >> They refused to refund the money until they received the returned order.
    >> The return process can take two weeks easy. Monday I'm filing a complaint
    >> with the State Attorney Generals Office and the Better Business Bureau. I
    >> realize that the BBB and Attorney General will probably not amount to

    >much,
    >> but it will cost DVD Planet time, which equals money, to answer the
    >> complaint. If this costs them enough, maybe they'll fix the e-mail, which
    >> by the way is still not working, and the streamline the order cancellation
    >> process.

    >Oh brother! If this is actually true, *you* were working too close to the
    >edge of your finances. That's not their fault.

    But it *is* there fault for confirming his cancellation when it was
    not really confirmed. The reason he canceled is completely
    irrelevant, the point is they screwed up and he has every right to
    complain about it.

    Scott

    Scott P, Oct 19, 2003
  5. OldNKranky

    Skid Guest

    "Scott P" <> wrote in message
    > On 19 Oct 2003 13:33:49 GMT, "Mac Breck" <>
    > wrote:
    > But it *is* there fault for confirming his cancellation when it was
    > not really confirmed. The reason he canceled is completely
    > irrelevant, the point is they screwed up and he has every right to
    > complain about it.

    Right to complain? Sure. But if he'd used a credit card to make the online
    purchase, as most of us do, he would only have had to challenge the charge
    and he wouldn't be out a dime. It would all have been straightened out
    before the bill came due.

    Seems like our OP needs a few lessons in managing his personal finances. I
    understand hard times, impulse purchases and unexpected expenses. I don't
    understand people who take unnecessary risks with their hard-earned money.

    Skid, Oct 19, 2003
  6. In article <bmu3rt$t63$0@208.239.203.113>,
    "Mac Breck" <> wrote:

    > "OldNKranky" <> wrote in message
    > > Now I wish I had listened. I e-mailed DVD Planet at the beginning of this
    > > month so I could cancel a pre-order that I had made. I needed to cancel
    > > Looney Tunes box). Today I received the Indiana Jones box set. When I
    > > called to complain I was told that their e-mail has been down for two weeks
    > > and the cancellation conformation I received by e-mail was automated.

    > Oh brother! If this is actually true, *you* were working too close to the
    > edge of your finances. That's not their fault.

    If this is actually true, they sent a confirmation cancellation when no
    cancellation had actually occurred. That is incredibly bad programming.
    Even if it was just a confirmation that the e-mail had been received,
    that still was wrong. If they accept cancellations or orders by e-mail,
    and they are not reading their e-mail, the automatic replies must
    mention it or they are asking for a world of trouble.

    If this is actually true, it's either very bad programming or very bad
    customer service, or both.

    Jerry

    --
    It Isn't Murder If They're Yankees
    http://www.ItIsntMurder.com/

    Jerry Stratton, Oct 20, 2003
  7. OldNKranky

    OldNKranky Guest

    I'm not spending $100+ on DVD sets--that's why I cancelled. The main reason
    I posted this was to warn other DVD Planet customers: DVD Planet's e-mail is
    not working and order cancellation should be made by phone. The post was
    not intended to garner sympathy, rather it was a recitation of facts. I
    wonder how any web base business run for two plus weeks without working
    e-mail? It they are going out of business.

    OldNKranky, Oct 20, 2003
  8. OldNKranky

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Mac Breck" <> wrote in message

    > Oh brother! If this is actually true, *you* were working too close to the
    > edge of your finances. That's not their fault.

    As soon as I read the original poster's post, I *knew* that someone would
    soon "blame the victim" over his finances.

    Guess what? His finances and how responsible or irresponsible he is about
    them is completely irrelevant. That fact is, he pre-ordered a product, then
    decided to cancel said pre-order. He followed their policy on such things,
    and got shafted. He has a valid complaint, no matter what you think about
    the checkbook of someone you don't know.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Oct 22, 2003
  9. OldNKranky

    goxpens

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    More Power to you!

    I hope that it does some good. They were in the wrong so don't worry about this b.s about how it's your fault because of your finance. Considering the fact that Planet Dvd is selling tv shows illegally...(yes it's illegal. No matter what their little loop hole thing says) So it's going to be interesting to see how a judge deals with this.

    I know that it's illegal because in their loophole it says something about selling unreleased material... Well I purchased Perfect Strangers from them, which the first 2 seasons have been released to dvd, so they illegally bootlegged me copies of released material-I hope they get taken down.

    goxpens, Mar 18, 2009