Good zoom-lens for Nikon?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sandman, Jun 9, 2011.

  1. Sandman

    me Guest

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 23:49:04 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >options for the job. Walking around town, or at car shows usually the
    >11-16mm. In the field or at the race track (my local track is Laguna
    >Seca at Monterey) the 70-300mm VR, and that does a fair enough job.
    >< http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/_DNC5046Cfw.jpg >
    >< http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/_DNC4995Cfw.jpg >
    >< http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/_DNC4619ECfw.jpg >

    Sadly the split with Steve Earle appears to have fractured and diluted
    what used to be the MHAR. I've taken time every few years to meet up
    with SoCal friends and do the pilgrimage up the coast to the MHAR for
    the weekend, followed last time with a trip to Lassen. I'm not sure
    either Earle's new event at Sonoma which just pasted or what remains
    at Laguna in Aug merit the trip any longer.

    That sad it was with sadness I hears of Sir Stirling Moss' retirement
    from vintage racing this week. I have found memories of my first MHAR
    back in the 80's with Alfa as the marquee and laps in circa 1910 one
    -off factory Monzas driven by Moss, Fangio and Hill. Fangio in the
    dust through the corkscrew trying to pass was the deciding factor for
    all the visits to follow through the years.

    me, Jun 11, 2011

  2. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    On 6/11/2011 2:30 PM, David J Taylor wrote:
    >> Welcome to Brucie's kill file. there a lot of us here. I have a strong
    >> suspicion that he just uses his "kill file" as an excuse for not
    >> answering. I have seen him repeating, almost verbatim, things I and
    >> others in the kill file have said.
    >> To the extent he may have knowledge, he certainly doesn't impart it
    >> with anything but pontifications.
    >>

    > I shall enjoy being in his kill-file! I will try and avoid the
    > temptation to make remarks which I know he will not read (perhaps)! It's
    > his loss, after all.

    Anytime anyone cuts somebody else off, they lose knowledge. The behavior
    is juvenile.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Jun 12, 2011

  3. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    In article <4df2a93f$0$2445$>,
    "Jeff R." <> wrote:

    > "PeterN" <> wrote in message
    > > On 6/10/2011 2:48 AM, Sandman wrote:

    > > The 24-120 should fit your bill, but it is f4. One of my friends has one
    > > and he is happy with it.

    > I have it, and I'm distinctly *not* happy with it. Actually, I *had* it.
    > Gave it away years ago.
    > Way too soft and slow at all focal lengths.
    >
    > Far be it for me to cite Ken Rockwell as an authoratitive source, but he
    > does get to play with lots of Nikon lenses. The 24-120 makes #3 of his
    > worst 10 ever
    > http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/10-worst.htm
    > and he outlines many good reasons for not liking it (all of which, BTW, I
    > happen to agree with)
    > http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/24120vr.htm
    >
    > A great idea (9+ on paper) but a dog in the hand.

    As others have pointed out, the lens you are in reference to is the
    old 24-120/f3.5-5.6 that has been replaced with a new 24-120/f4.

    It's actually linked to from that last link:

    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/24-120mm.htm

    "The new Nikon 24-120mm f/4 VR is a great lens. It is worlds
    sharper than its predecessor, the fuzzy 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S
    VR (2003-2010)."

    --
    Sandman[.net]

    Sandman, Jun 13, 2011
  4. Re: How many lenses do you carry at once?

    On Jun 13, 1:43 pm, "David J Taylor" <david-
    > wrote:
    > "David Dyer-Bennet" <> wrote in message

    > []
    >
    > > My usual minimum is one on the camera plus two more.

    > > If I'm taking the D700 kit, I ALWAYS take the 24-70/2.8 and the
    > > 70-200/2.8.
    > > Then, depending on what I'm doing (and it gets worse fast if I'm doing
    > > range of things), I'll add the Sigma 120-400/5.6, the Nikkor 85/1.8,
    > > the
    > > Sigma 105/2.8 macro, the Sigma 12-24 (full-frame).

    > > Sometimes I'll add a few of the low-use lenses I've got, too.

    > I used to take more - now I take less, and spend less time changing
    > lenses!  Your kit is undoubtedly heavier than mine.

    If I take both long zooms, I try REALLY hard not to carry them both
    around at once -- leave one in the car, go back to change, or
    something. I'm not getting any happier about being a pack mule
    as I age, and the D700 is much heavier than any film body I
    owned, and I've built up more lenses than I used to own all at once.

    Also, my two-body sojourn in crop-sensor SLR land spoiled me;
    I no longer find 200mm an acceptable long-end to my lens
    collection, even indoors. I should probably try harder to make
    do with the 70-200 and the TC14E, rather than going all the way to
    the 120-400. But the last several places I used the 120-400, I
    was out at 400 fairly often. If I had the money and the assistant
    to carry it, the 200-400/4 would be tempting (having neither, I
    have to sit on any interest) since it's a stop faster at the long
    end and should be optically considerably better (it's a $5k
    pro-grade lens, and my Sigma 120-400/5.6 was less than 1/5
    of that).

    Or I should get the Olympus 100-300/5.6 for my E-PL2, 600mm-e,
    and give up on shooting long focal lengths with my D700.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 13, 2011
  5. Sandman

    Bob Dobbs Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    >I used to take more - now I take less, and spend less time changing
    >lenses! Your kit is undoubtedly heavier than mine.

    As I'm no longer dependent on working activities for existence,
    I get along great without a bulky bag of kit at all,
    just a ZLR superzoom, extra flash chip, and I'm good to go.
    --

    http://bit.ly/g2PCII

    Bob Dobbs, Jun 13, 2011
  6. Sandman

    Wally Guest

    Re: How many lenses do you carry at once?

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 09:56:11 -0700 (PDT), David Dyer-Bennet
    <> wrote:

    >On Jun 11, 1:27 am, "David J Taylor" <david-
    >> wrote:
    >
    >> How many lenses do you carry with you at any one time?  My usual maximum
    >> is the lens on the camera plus one other.

    >My usual minimum is one on the camera plus two more.
    >
    >If I'm taking the D700 kit, I ALWAYS take the 24-70/2.8 and the
    >70-200/2.8.
    >Then, depending on what I'm doing (and it gets worse fast if I'm doing
    >range of things), I'll add the Sigma 120-400/5.6, the Nikkor 85/1.8,
    >the
    >Sigma 105/2.8 macro, the Sigma 12-24 (full-frame).
    >
    >Sometimes I'll add a few of the low-use lenses I've got, too.

    More and more I use just the lens on the camera. When shooting
    dragonflies and birds, it's the 100-400mm all day... and when shooting
    my baby grandson, it's the 17-55mm f2.8. When roaming strange cities,
    I use the very lightweight XSi with the 18-55mm.

    I'm contemplating buying the Canon 7D with the 15-85mm lens. Now THAT
    would be the outfit to take when exploring, from a technical point of
    view. But it would be more than twice the weight. :(

    Wally

    Wally, Jun 14, 2011
  7. Re: How many lenses do you carry at once?

    "David Dyer-Bennet" <> wrote in message
    []
    > If I take both long zooms, I try REALLY hard not to carry them both
    > around at once -- leave one in the car, go back to change, or
    > something. I'm not getting any happier about being a pack mule
    > as I age, and the D700 is much heavier than any film body I
    > owned, and I've built up more lenses than I used to own all at once.

    Even though I sold all my film gear when I had been digital for a while, I
    /still/ feel I'm collecting more lenses than I need. Doubtless the
    vendors are delighted! For me, lightness is critical, although not to the
    extent of going 4/3 or viewfinderless.

    > Also, my two-body sojourn in crop-sensor SLR land spoiled me;
    > I no longer find 200mm an acceptable long-end to my lens
    > collection, even indoors. I should probably try harder to make
    > do with the 70-200 and the TC14E, rather than going all the way to
    > the 120-400. But the last several places I used the 120-400, I
    > was out at 400 fairly often. If I had the money and the assistant
    > to carry it, the 200-400/4 would be tempting (having neither, I
    > have to sit on any interest) since it's a stop faster at the long
    > end and should be optically considerably better (it's a $5k
    > pro-grade lens, and my Sigma 120-400/5.6 was less than 1/5
    > of that).

    I used a free program to plot a histogram of the focal lengths I use, and
    I found I was often either at the widest wide-angle or the extreme
    telephoto end on my kit. Hence now getting the 10-24mm Tamron wide-angle
    (which is quite lightweight if not optically perfect). With my crop-frame
    camera 300mm is /just/ long enough for my interests (which don't include
    birding).

    > Or I should get the Olympus 100-300/5.6 for my E-PL2, 600mm-e,
    > and give up on shooting long focal lengths with my D700.

    Sounds a sensible choice to me - Olympus has a good reputation for lens
    quality, and you might find yourself taking that around more often.
    (Isn't it enjoyable, spending someone else's money <G>).

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 14, 2011
  8. Re: How many lenses do you carry at once?

    "Bob Dobbs" <> wrote in message
    > David J Taylor wrote:
    >>I used to take more - now I take less, and spend less time changing
    >>lenses! Your kit is undoubtedly heavier than mine.

    > As I'm no longer dependent on working activities for existence,
    > I get along great without a bulky bag of kit at all,
    > just a ZLR superzoom, extra flash chip, and I'm good to go.

    That's what I used to have, Bob (e.g. Nikon 5700, Panasonic FZ5, Panasonic
    TZ3), but I found that for taking pictures indoors the high-ISO
    performance of those cameras wasn't good enough, and I missed the SLR
    viewfinder and fast response times. Now I can use ISO 3200 without
    worrying, and get a lens range of (35mm equivalent) 15-300mm in just a
    couple of lenses. Again for indoors, the 15mm wide-angle is very helpful.
    Completely agree about taking the minimum.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 14, 2011
  9. Re: How many lenses do you carry at once?

    > I used a free program to plot a histogram of the focal lengths I use
    []

    Forgot the URL http://www.cpr.demon.nl/prog_plotf.html

    Now called Exposure Plot.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 14, 2011
  10. Sandman

    Bob Dobbs Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    >Completely agree about taking the minimum.

    Could be that the less concerned someone is with
    lugging the burden of gear, the more able to spot
    photo opportunities within the range of their ZLR
    --

    http://bit.ly/g2PCII

    Bob Dobbs, Jun 14, 2011
  11. Re: How many lenses do you carry at once?

    "Bob Dobbs" <> wrote in message
    []
    > Could be that the less concerned someone is with
    > lugging the burden of gear, the more able to spot
    > photo opportunities within the range of their ZLR

    Been there and done that, Bob, and found the ZLR too limiting for the
    circumstances in which I take photos. ZLRs are good in good light, and
    the resolution was usually good enough for me. Very pleased now with a
    DSLR and the 18-200mm (27-300mm equivalent) lens.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 14, 2011
  12. Sandman

    sid Guest

    Wally wrote:

    > I'm contemplating buying the Canon 7D with the 15-85mm lens.

    Dunno about the camera as I use a 50D but the less is an excellent choice.

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284

    sid, Jun 14, 2011
  13. Sandman

    John Turco Guest

    Bruce wrote:

    > > "David J Taylor" <> wrote:

    <edited for brevity>

    > > Why do you not want to discuss what effect higher ISO might have on the
    > > choice of zoom lenses, especially as you appear to have good insider
    > > knowledge of what cameras Nikon may be about to introduce? Instead you
    > > resort to personal criticism and thereby lose credibility.

    > The issue I raised was that, long after it was clear that the OP owned
    > an FX body, you were off on a tangent discussing an upgrade from DX to
    > FX. When I called you out on that, you moved the goal posts once more
    > and started discussing something else! You might think that is
    > entertaining, but it is merely tiresome. You are clearly incapable of
    > sticking to the topic at hand, so any further discussion is pointless.
    > I put you in my kill file for this very reason some time ago. Having
    > reviewed my kill file decisions over the last few days, as I do
    > periodically, in your case it was definitely the right call.
    >
    > Are you by any chance related to Mxsmanic (Anthony Atkielski)?
    >
    > Ctrl-K (again!)

    Do you mean, in the same way that "Bruce" and "Tony Polson" are
    related?

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jun 30, 2011
  14. Sandman

    John Turco Guest

    Savageduck wrote:

    > > On 2011-06-12 19:21:06 -0700, Eric Stevens <> said:
    > >
    > >> On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 17:38:42 -0700, Savageduck wrote:

    <edited for brevity>

    > >> I could certainly state that I am of a similar vintage to some of those
    > >> vehicles, and actually saw some of those Coopers, BRMs, Lotuses, The
    > >> DBR4, the Maserati 4CLT-50 , and Ferrari 246 running in their prime.
    > >> I can't say the same for the Alfa Tipo A, or that 1930's Maserati I
    > >> can't quite place or date.

    > > The Alfa is a 1935 P3B, one of the few fitted with Dubonnet
    > > (knee-action) independent front suspension. Its an ex-factory
    > > GP car with a 3.8 litre engine.

    > Ah! Part of the original Scuderia Ferrari. The front end of that Tipo
    > B P3 (1932-35) was quite different to the 1932 Tipo A, I should have
    > noticed since there was a $3.5Mil sample at Laguna Seca last year.
    > < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/_DNC4634w2.jpg >
    >
    > > I'm gratified you recognised the DBR4. Most people don't even
    > > know it existed.

    > I have been a track urchin all my life.

    <edited>

    Personally, I'm far from a "track urchin," but...this is a
    pair of excerpts, from a flatbed scan I'd made, in May of
    2000:

    "Here's fact No. 102 for the Chamber of Commerce booster
    booklet: In addition to leading in pig lead and butter
    production, Omaha is the is the home of a race car
    'production line.'"

    "Tycoons of Omaha's race car industry are Louis (foreground)
    and Joe Turco, who assemble midget and big cars in the
    garage of their home at 504 pierce street."

    <edited>

    "The brothers have been building racers here since 1928,
    after spending two years as race car builders for the
    Dreyer company in Indianapolis. Louis specializes in
    midget cars, has built, assembled or worked on some of
    the fastest on the midwest circuit. Joe handles the
    big car racers the brothers now own, returned last week
    from Detroit and vicinity."

    It was a small article (with a B&W photo), in the "Omaha
    World-Herald" newspaper, which had been cut out. No date
    is visible; it must have been printed, during the late
    1930's/early 1940's era.

    That all happened quite a bit, before my time. They were
    my father (Joe) and uncle (Louis), respectively -- and
    "tycoons" was a bit of an exaggeration, naturally. Both
    were inducted (posthumously) into the Nebraska Racing
    Hall Of Fame, in October 2004.

    [Coincidentally, Tony Cooper's hometown is Indianapolis,
    and you'd mentioned "Coopers" race cars, above.]

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jun 30, 2011