  1. Ideally I'd like 1 GB and very high-speed connection. I just need plain old
    FTP access for put/get and users to view my simple html galleries. I can't
    host my own physical server any more - I got to be mobile.

    Dave R knows who, Mar 15, 2005

  2. Dave R knows who

    Scott W Guest

    I use lunarpages.com, so far I have been pretty happy with them.

    For 1 GB they are way less then $50/month however.

    Scott

    Scott W, Mar 15, 2005

  3. Dave R knows who

    Joe Makowiec Guest

    On Tue 15 Mar 2005 06:38:21p, Dave R knows who wrote in
    rec.photo.digital:

    > Ideally I'd like 1 GB and very high-speed connection. I just need
    > plain old FTP access for put/get and users to view my simple html
    > galleries. I can't host my own physical server any more - I got to be
    > mobile.

    Actually, if you look around a bit, good hosting can be had for around US
    $25/month. I just checked the hosting company I use, and 1G of storage and
    30G of transfer is $27; it includes PHP/MySQL, Apache server on (I think)
    Red Hat. (http://olm.net/ - no connection other than as a satisfied
    customer.) In checking a couple of other sites, that 1G disk space
    requirement might be a bit hard to meet. 1 & 1 (http://1and1.com/) starts
    with 1G at US$5/month and tosses in the domain name; I haven't used them.

    You might want to poke around at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/ and see
    what the folks there have to say.

    Joe Makowiec, Mar 16, 2005
  4. "Dave R knows who" <> writes:

    > Ideally I'd like 1 GB and very high-speed connection. I just need plain old
    > FTP access for put/get and users to view my simple html galleries. I can't
    > host my own physical server any more - I got to be mobile.

    I pay $9.95/month for 1 GB of storage, 30 GB/month of transfer bandwidth at
    webmasters.com. I use ftp to upload the site from my Linux system. I've had 2
    interruptions in service in the 2 years of use. I don't know what their
    speed at connecting to the internet is.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Mar 16, 2005
  5. Dave R knows who

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 00:09:13 GMT, in rec.photo.digital Joe Makowiec
    <> wrote:
    >Actually, if you look around a bit, good hosting can be had for around US
    >$25/month. I just checked the hosting company I use, and 1G of storage and
    >30G of transfer is $27; it includes PHP/MySQL, Apache server on (I think)
    >Red Hat. (http://olm.net/ - no connection other than as a satisfied
    >customer.) In checking a couple of other sites, that 1G disk space
    >requirement might be a bit hard to meet. 1 & 1 (http://1and1.com/) starts
    >with 1G at US$5/month and tosses in the domain name; I haven't used them.

    FWIW, I've been with 1and1 (4.95/month) for not quite year and have had
    little problem. If you need PHP or custom CGI you'll need the 9:95/month
    package.
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

    Ed Ruf, Mar 16, 2005
  6. Dave R knows who

    SeaShel Guest

    Dave R knows who wrote:
    > Ideally I'd like 1 GB and very high-speed connection. I just need
    > plain old FTP access for put/get and users to view my simple html
    > galleries. I can't host my own physical server any more - I got to be
    > mobile.

    Smugmug.com is $35/year for unlimited size/space for photos, $50/year gets
    you video upload ability. Is this the type of site you are looking for?

    ---
    Michelle
    (SeaShel)

    free the fish to reply

    SeaShel, Mar 16, 2005
  7. "Dave R knows who" <> writes:

    > Ideally I'd like 1 GB and very high-speed connection. I just need
    > plain old FTP access for put/get and users to view my simple html
    > galleries. I can't host my own physical server any more - I got to
    > be mobile.

    You're *way* overpricing it.

    You can get a dreamhost.com account for $7.95 a month right now
    (St. Patrick's day special; regular price on ly $9.95 though) that
    includes 2.4GB storage and 120GB monthly bandwidth and a free domain
    name registration and mysql databases and perl cgi and php and daily
    backups and so forth. If you've got HTML already, just upload it
    (ftp; or sftp over ssh if you prefer) and the images and you're in
    business.

    See what I mean about rather overpricing it? I'm not claiming they're
    the cheapest around. But they're darned cheap *and* they seem to have
    good tech support (email only at the cheaper packages like this) and
    good reliability. I'm hosting two paying client sites there
    currently.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Mar 16, 2005
  8. Dave R knows who

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <-meissners.org>,
    Michael Meissner <> wrote:
    >"Dave R knows who" <> writes:
    >
    >> Ideally I'd like 1 GB and very high-speed connection. I just need plain old
    >> FTP access for put/get and users to view my simple html galleries. I can't
    >> host my own physical server any more - I got to be mobile.

    >I pay $9.95/month for 1 GB of storage, 30 GB/month of transfer bandwidth at
    >webmasters.com. I use ftp to upload the site from my Linux system. I've had 2
    >interruptions in service in the 2 years of use. I don't know what their
    >speed at connecting to the internet is.
    >
    >--
    >Michael Meissner
    >email:
    >http://www.the-meissners.org

    godaddy.com is a great domain name registrar and they have a shopping cart
    approach to web hosting and email. I think you can get what you want
    for about $4/month plus $9/for the domain name.

    I've registered several domain names and bought a basic web hosting
    service which I have not moved into, yet. Service has been very good.

    --

    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    Al Dykes, Mar 16, 2005
  9. Dave R knows who

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <NlKZd.10945$>, Dave R knows who
    says...
    > Ideally I'd like 1 GB and very high-speed connection. I just need plain old
    > FTP access for put/get and users to view my simple html galleries. I can't
    > host my own physical server any more - I got to be mobile.

    Try www.all-inkl.com (the company which hosts my site). Take two
    500MB/50GB packages for a total of 1000MB of storage and 100GB of
    traffic. PHP, MySql and Perl is included.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from China, Myanmar, Brunei,
    Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Germany, Austria,
    Prague, Budapest, Singapore and Portugal

    Alfred Molon, Mar 16, 2005