    Thanks.
    --
    JB

    John B, Jul 13, 2004

  2. John B

    Jackson Guest

    "John B" <> wrote in message
    news:ekFIc.7804$...
    > I have a Nvidia Geforce MX400 32MB card. Want to upgrade for better game
    > performance.
    >
    > My machine has 512MB ram, and is a TBird 900mhz with KT7 board.
    >
    > What would be the best vid card to upgrade to in the $200-$250 range?

    Something
    > to handle Far Cry, NFSU, etc.
    >
    > Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

    Dont bother with a 900mhz CPU, your wasting your time. Your not going to be
    able to play those games unless you like watching a slideshow, that is if
    the games will let you run them at all.

    Jackson.

    Jackson, Jul 13, 2004

  3. Jackson wrote:
    > Something
    >>to handle Far Cry, NFSU, etc.
    >>Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

    > Dont bother with a 900mhz CPU, your wasting your time. Your not going to be
    > able to play those games unless you like watching a slideshow, that is if
    > the games will let you run them at all.

    Aside from being somewhat wrong(not completely), NFSU will run fine on a
    Geforce TI4200 on that CPU, I know, I tried it last week. Just stick to
    resolutions below 1280x1024 and you'll be fine.

    If you grab a slightly faster CPU too(like say 1800+) then you can flick
    2xAA and some of the other settings too, and it looks pretty.

    As you can no longer get these cards, I suggest something around the
    9600 range.

    see here.
    http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_16.html#g40
    Radeon 9600 Pro 256Mb $219.38

    Something around this level will be fine.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 13, 2004
  4. John B

    John B Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Jackson wrote:
    >> Something
    >>> to handle Far Cry, NFSU, etc.
    >>> Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

    >> Dont bother with a 900mhz CPU, your wasting your time. Your not
    >> going to be able to play those games unless you like watching a
    >> slideshow, that is if the games will let you run them at all.

    > Aside from being somewhat wrong(not completely), NFSU will run fine
    > on a Geforce TI4200 on that CPU, I know, I tried it last week. Just
    > stick to resolutions below 1280x1024 and you'll be fine.

    Actually, NFSU works quite satisfactory on my PC. And at 1024x?. Reasonable
    frame rates and graphics are not bad at all. Far Cry struggles a bit.

    > If you grab a slightly faster CPU too(like say 1800+) then you can
    > flick 2xAA and some of the other settings too, and it looks pretty.

    Will the KT7 run an 1.8 CPU?

    > As you can no longer get these cards, I suggest something around the
    > 9600 range.

    > see here.
    > http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_16.html#g40
    > Radeon 9600 Pro 256Mb $219.38

    DSE has the 9600pro for $238 I think. Will I notice a reasonable improvement in
    game play?

    > Something around this level will be fine.

    Thanks for the input. Mucho appreciated.

    --
    John B

    John B, Jul 13, 2004
  5. John B wrote:
    > Actually, NFSU works quite satisfactory on my PC. And at 1024x?. Reasonable
    > frame rates and graphics are not bad at all. Far Cry struggles a bit.

    I havent played far cry on my machine so cant comment... although

    >>If you grab a slightly faster CPU too(like say 1800+) then you can
    >>flick 2xAA and some of the other settings too, and it looks pretty.

    > Will the KT7 run an 1.8 CPU?

    Just dl'ing the manual now... slow link that one...
    Doesnt seem to, seems to be limited to 1250MHz
    unless you want to move things out of spec, which although it may work,
    is not ideal.
    there few bios updates for that board too.
    yek... sd ram :)

    > DSE has the 9600pro for $238 I think. Will I notice a reasonable improvement in
    > game play?

    probably not.
    other than the bits where it may have slowed down a bit, it shouldn't
    slow down as much.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 13, 2004
  6. John B

    Jackson Guest

    > > DSE has the 9600pro for $238 I think. Will I notice a reasonable
    improvement in
    > > game play?

    > probably not.
    > other than the bits where it may have slowed down a bit, it shouldn't
    > slow down as much.

    Opps, you've got his hopes up now, can't bring him down to reality so
    quickly. Although you seem to think farcry will rock on his new rig I think
    he's going to be rather disappointed. I also doubt your stellar performance
    claims in NFSU on such a slow CPU. Although it may work im sure its like a
    slideshow on anything but 600x480 at 16.

    He would be much better to spend his money on a new CPU, ram and MB and
    update the crappy card later.

    Jackson.

    Jackson, Jul 13, 2004
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> Will the KT7 run an 1.8 CPU?

    > Just dl'ing the manual now... slow link that one...
    > Doesnt seem to, seems to be limited to 1250MHz
    > unless you want to move things out of spec, which although it may work,
    > is not ideal.

    I can't tell if it officially supports 133MHz bus or not. so you may be
    able to put a CPU faster than 1800+ in it.

    The reason for the confusion on my part is this.
    "The KT7/KT7-RAID uses the VIA Apollo KT133 chipset to make the
    evolutionary move from PC 100 to PC 133, increasing the system and
    memory buses from 100MHz to 133MHz"
    but further down only says the following.
    "KT7/KT7-RAID provides highly flexibility(sic) to users building AMD
    Socket A Athlon and Duron level systems. It provides the option of
    100MHz/100MHz or 100MHz/133MHz CPU and memory bus combinations..."

    I believe you must have the KT7A to have 133MHz bus supported.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 13, 2004
  8. Jackson wrote:
    >>probably not.
    >>other than the bits where it may have slowed down a bit, it shouldn't
    >>slow down as much.

    > Opps, you've got his hopes up now, can't bring him down to reality so
    > quickly.

    ummm "other than the bits where it may have slowed down a bit, it
    shouldn't slow down as much." is hardly raising hopes to giddying
    heights. :)

    > Although you seem to think farcry will rock on his new rig I think
    > he's going to be rather disappointed. I also doubt your stellar performance
    > claims in NFSU on such a slow CPU. Although it may work im sure its like a
    > slideshow on anything but 600x480 at 16.

    Far cry I havent played, and so said that I couldn't comment.(posts time
    stamp is 12:28)

    > He would be much better to spend his money on a new CPU, ram and MB and
    > update the crappy card later.

    matter of choice, but I have only seen one game CPU limited recently,
    well, untill you chuck huge resolutions at it.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 13, 2004
  9. John B

    Mr Bond Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 12:05:29 +1200, "John B" <>
    wrote:

    >Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> Jackson wrote:
    >>> Something

    >>> Dont bother with a 900mhz CPU, your wasting your time. Your not
    >>> going to be able to play those games unless you like watching a
    >>> slideshow, that is if the games will let you run them at all.

    >> Aside from being somewhat wrong(not completely), NFSU will run fine
    >> on a Geforce TI4200 on that CPU, I know, I tried it last week. Just
    >> stick to resolutions below 1280x1024 and you'll be fine.

    >Actually, NFSU works quite satisfactory on my PC. And at 1024x?. Reasonable
    >frame rates and graphics are not bad at all. Far Cry struggles a bit.
    >
    >> If you grab a slightly faster CPU too(like say 1800+) then you can
    >> flick 2xAA and some of the other settings too, and it looks pretty.

    >Will the KT7 run an 1.8 CPU?
    >
    >> As you can no longer get these cards, I suggest something around the
    >> 9600 range.

    >> see here.
    >> http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_16.html#g40
    >> Radeon 9600 Pro 256Mb $219.38

    >DSE has the 9600pro for $238 I think. Will I notice a reasonable improvement in
    >game play?
    >
    >> Something around this level will be fine.

    >Thanks for the input. Mucho appreciated.

    Hi,

    My box is a 2500XP and a gig of DDR. I had a Geforce 2 MX400 until
    recently, upgraded to a 9600xt (better than a pro).
    www.pricespy.co.nz has the 9600xt at $264.38.

    I was playing NFSU on the MX400, but my reasoning for upgrading was
    because I had to play at pretty low settings. I think I had it on
    800*600 but it was more than a month ago. The upgrade to the 9600xt
    for this game was an insane difference. A lot more than BF1942 and
    UT2003 (the only other games I played at the time, brought a few more
    now :)). Colours were the biggest difference, but I think it is
    almost a completely different game. Better than what it looks like on
    Xbox.

    Far cry I can play at 1024*768 with medium settings, but I've bumped
    it back to 800*600 with slightly higher settings. Plays nicely.
    Haven't bothered trying this with my MX400, I don't think it would run
    at all. Load times are pretty slow as it is (although I'm not smart
    enough to know if the graphics card effects this or not). I'd imagine
    a 900 TBird would prove frustrating in this regard.

    Mr Bond, Jul 13, 2004
  10. On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:40:50 +1200, "John B" <> wrote:

    >I have a Nvidia Geforce MX400 32MB card. Want to upgrade for better game
    >performance.
    >
    >My machine has 512MB ram, and is a TBird 900mhz with KT7 board.
    >
    >What would be the best vid card to upgrade to in the $200-$250 range? Something
    >to handle Far Cry, NFSU, etc.
    >
    >Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks.

    You are looking at a $350-400 card and you PC is far to slow for these games,
    so forget it..

    The GHOST of WOGER., Jul 13, 2004