    Interview with a Vampire, Queen of the Damned, Bram Stoker's Dracula, and John
    Carpenter's Vampires. I've seen a lot of *really* bad ones in the past few
    years. Are there any more out there worth watching?

    Machina3317, Oct 19, 2004

  2. Machina3317

    Owl Jolson Guest

    Christopher Lee's 'Dracula' movies are really worth collecting. He is one
    of the most 'scary' Dracula(s) I've ever seen. Those bloodshot eyes of his
    will make your skin crawl!

    "Machina3317" <> wrote in message
    > Can someone *please* point me in the direction of some good vampire

    movies.

    Owl Jolson, Oct 19, 2004

  3. Machina3317

    Video Flyer Guest

    On 10/19/04 12:57 AM, in article
    , "Machina3317"
    <> wrote:

    > Can someone *please* point me in the direction of some good vampire movies.
    > Out of all the ones I've seen the only ones I like are the Blade movies,
    > Interview with a Vampire, Queen of the Damned, Bram Stoker's Dracula, and John
    > Carpenter's Vampires. I've seen a lot of *really* bad ones in the past few
    > years. Are there any more out there worth watching?

    Check out "Near Dark". Not your father's vampire movie :)

    Neal

    Video Flyer, Oct 19, 2004
  4. Machina3317

    TB Guest

    "Machina3317" wrote:

    > Can someone *please* point me in the direction of some good vampire

    movies.
    > Out of all the ones I've seen the only ones I like are the Blade movies,
    > Interview with a Vampire, Queen of the Damned, Bram Stoker's Dracula, and

    John
    > Carpenter's Vampires. I've seen a lot of *really* bad ones in the past

    few
    > years. Are there any more out there worth watching?

    IMO, the British "Hammer" films period vampire movies are the best of the
    genre. Here's a few of their best films:

    "Horror of Dracula" - Christopher Lee's first and best take on Dracula.
    Easily one of the best vampire/Dracula movies ever made and still holds up
    well 45 years later.

    "Dracula has Risen from the Grave" - The best of the over half dozen sequels
    featuring Lee as Dracula.

    "Brides of Dracula" - Although Dracula isn't actually in the movie, Peter
    Cushing who plays Van Helsing is and this movie is right up there with HoD
    as one of the truly great vampire movies.

    "Vampire Circus" - Hard to find but well worth seeking out, one of Hammer's
    last vampire movies with plenty of wierd and gory stuff.

    Moving away from Hammer films, here's a few others I'd recommend:

    "Dracula (1979)" - This one features Frank Langella as Dracula and is one of
    the better takes on the story although it's not perfect.

    "Lost Boys" and "Fright Night" - Best of the vampire movies that mixes
    modern day vampires with teenagers (and a bit of campiness) to mostly good
    results. Good action, moderate thrills and gore.

    "Near Dark" - Probably my personal favorite of any of the recent vampire
    movies of the last few decades that features modern day vampirism. Great
    cast and acting. The bar fight sequence is a classic of building horror.

    "From Dusk 'Til Dawn" - Judging from the movies you've noted in your post,
    this one is probably the most likely one you'll like best of everything I'm
    listing. Modern day vampires mixed with "Pulp Fiction" sensibilities with
    nonstop violence and action, especially for the last third of the movie.

    "Subspecies 1,2,3,4" - Traditional old time vampies that kind of reminds me
    of a horror comic. Good gore and quite creepy.

    "Fearless Vampire Killers" - Might not be what you're looking for but worth
    noting. Very much like a Hammer period vampire movie but done for (some)
    laughs by Roman Polanski.

    "House of Dark Shadows" - Features modern day vampires from the 60's soap
    opera and some decent gore but moves slowly.

    Hope that helps!

    T.B.

    TB, Oct 19, 2004
  5. UNIST (Machina3317) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Can someone *please* point me in the direction of some good vampire movies.
    > Out of all the ones I've seen the only ones I like are the Blade movies,
    > Interview with a Vampire, Queen of the Damned, Bram Stoker's Dracula, and John
    > Carpenter's Vampires. I've seen a lot of *really* bad ones in the past few
    > years. Are there any more out there worth watching?

    There's always "The Hunger".

    Especially timely, since Catherine Deneuve's birthday is October 22nd
    (though I thought it was the 23rd for some reason).

    Michael

    Michael Black, Oct 19, 2004
  6. Machina3317

    Guest

    From Dusk till Dawn is one of my favs

    , Oct 19, 2004
  7. Machina3317

    Ollie T Guest

    I have always liked Fright Night. Maybe check that one out.

    HDTV games lists and discussions
    http://www.hdtvarcade.com

    Ollie T, Oct 19, 2004
  8. Machina3317

    Noah Jonze Guest

    > Can someone *please* point me in the direction of some good vampire
    > movies.
    > Out of all the ones I've seen the only ones I like are the Blade movies,
    > Interview with a Vampire, Queen of the Damned, Bram Stoker's Dracula, and
    > John
    > Carpenter's Vampires. I've seen a lot of *really* bad ones in the past
    > few
    > years. Are there any more out there worth watching?

    "Nosferatu." Both the silent classic and Werner Herzog's remake. If you see
    the Herzog make sure it's in the original German and not the laughably bad
    dubbed version.

    "Salem's Lot," the TV movie of Stephen King's book was worth a look if
    you're into vampires.

    -------
    "Too many O-B-G-Y-N's aren't able to practice their, their LOVE with women
    all across this country."
    -- George W. Bush, campaign speech, 9/06/04
    -------------------------------
    "You know, I think about Missy Johnson....Her husband PJ got killed. He'd
    been in Afghanistan, went to Iraq.
    You know, it's hard work to try TO LOVE HER as best as I can, knowing full
    well that the decision I made caused her loved one to be in harm's way. "
    -- George W. Bush, first presidential debate, 9/30/2004
    ------------------------------
    "Need some wood?"
    -- George W. Bush, second presidential debate, 10/08/2004

    Noah Jonze, Oct 19, 2004
  9. Michael Black wrote:
    > Machina3317 wrote:

    >> Can someone *please* point me in the direction of some good vampire
    >> movies.

    > There's always "The Hunger".
    >
    > Especially timely, since Catherine Deneuve's birthday is October 22nd
    > (though I thought it was the 23rd for some reason).

    ....and since it only just came out (finally!) on DVD. I'm thrilled: _The
    Hunger_ is pure trash, but it's *entertaining* pure trash, and I love it
    more than I suspect I should.

    I'm also fond of the Frank Langella (1979) _Dracula_, which was just
    re-released on DVD this week. But it's not to all tastes.

    doug

    --
    "...and they said, 'work hard, and die suddenly, 'cos it's fun'..."
    --Robyn Hitchcock

    Douglas Bailey, Oct 19, 2004
  10. Machina3317

    Mac Cool Guest

    Razor Blade Smile

    --
    Mac Cool

    Mac Cool, Oct 20, 2004
  11. "Ollie T" <> wrote in message
    >I have always liked Fright Night. Maybe check that one out.

    Also Fright Night 2, but the DVD quality is horrible.

    I don't think anyone has mentioned The Lost Boys yet.

    Arthur Lipscomb, Oct 20, 2004
  12. check out the 1993 Mexican flick CHRONOS, directed by Guillermo del Toro, the
    guy who went on to do Blade 2 and Hellboy. Creepy and atmospheric, if you don't
    object to subtitles.

    Stroke of Eight, Oct 20, 2004
  13. Machina3317

    vidrare Guest

    Any of the Christopher Lee DRACULA films. Especially HORROR OF DRACULA,
    DRACULA, PRINCE OF DARKNESS, DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE and SCARS OF
    DRACULA.

    vidrare, Oct 20, 2004
  14. Machina3317

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Stroke of Eight wrote:
    > check out the 1993 Mexican flick CHRONOS, directed by Guillermo del
    > Toro, the guy who went on to do Blade 2 and Hellboy. Creepy and
    > atmospheric, if you don't object to subtitles.

    Just a minor correction: it's CRONOS. I agree with your assessment - good
    movie.

    Mike Kohary, Oct 20, 2004
  15. Machina3317

    Machina3317 Guest

    More Vampire Movies (thanks!)

    I just wanted to say "Thank You!" to all of you for your great suggestions. I
    also forgot to add to my list of great vampire movies that I've seen:
    Lost Boys
    Near Dark
    The Hunger (huge Bowie fan...)
    From Dusk Till Dawn
    Shadow of the Vampire

    So thanks to all for reminding me of those. Also, wasn't there a remake of
    Nosferatu with music by Rob Zombie? I remember seeing it when I worked at
    Media Play back on 2000. What's everyone's verdict on Dracula 2000? Anyone
    ever seen Club Vampire (midget vampires! ^_^)

    Machina3317, Oct 21, 2004
  16. Re: More Vampire Movies (thanks!)

    UNIST (Machina3317) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I just wanted to say "Thank You!" to all of you for your great suggestions. I
    > also forgot to add to my list of great vampire movies that I've seen:

    4> Lost Boys
    > Near Dark
    > The Hunger (huge Bowie fan...)
    > From Dusk Till Dawn
    > Shadow of the Vampire
    >
    > So thanks to all for reminding me of those. Also, wasn't there a remake of
    > Nosferatu with music by Rob Zombie? I remember seeing it when I worked at
    > Media Play back on 2000. What's everyone's verdict on Dracula 2000? Anyone
    > ever seen Club Vampire (midget vampires! ^_^)

    Don't forget "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein" where Bela Lugosi
    himself plays Dracula.

    Checking IMDB, I see the pair did quite a few "horror" films.

    Michael

    Michael Black, Oct 21, 2004
  17. Machina3317

    Nic Guest

    On 2004-10-21, Machina3317 <> wrote:
    > I just wanted to say "Thank You!" to all of you for your great suggestions.

    > also forgot to add to my list of great vampire movies that I've seen:
    > Lost Boys
    > Near Dark
    > The Hunger (huge Bowie fan...)
    > From Dusk Till Dawn
    > Shadow of the Vampire
    >
    > So thanks to all for reminding me of those. Also, wasn't there a remake of
    > Nosferatu with music by Rob Zombie? I remember seeing it when I worked at
    > Media Play back on 2000. What's everyone's verdict on Dracula 2000? Anyone
    > ever seen Club Vampire (midget vampires! ^_^)

    I may have missed the post where it was mentioned,
    but in case it wasn't already mentioned -
    "Salem's Lot" starring David Soul (from Starsky and Hutch) is a decent
    flick.
    It was a made for TV movie so ratio is 4:3.

    --

    Nic.

    Nic, Oct 27, 2004