    Member Business Sources - Beaverton Oregon
    Ethical, Resourceful Professionals at Your Service Since 1992
    www.BusinessSources.net
    Nottoman, Nov 26, 2003

  2. Nottoman

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <K7Xwb.5092$>,
    says...
    > Noticing that my card reader could be a little faster as I'm using a 256MB
    > Compact Flash card. Saw on B&H some USB 2.O card readers. Any experience
    > with them and is the speed noticeable?
    > Thanks

    I just went from a USB 1.0 reader to a Sandisk USB 2.0 reader myself.
    With the old reader, I was transferring at around .80 meg per second.
    With the 2.0 reader, it's about 2.2-2.5 meg per second. Yes it is much
    faster but the speed is limited by the speed of your CF card. I am using
    Viking 256 meg cards which aren't slow but not particularly fast either.

    --
    __________________________________
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Nov 26, 2003

  3. Nottoman

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Nottoman wrote:

    > Noticing that my card reader could be a little faster as I'm using a 256MB
    > Compact Flash card. Saw on B&H some USB 2.O card readers. Any experience
    > with them and is the speed noticeable?
    > Thanks

    That depends mostly on the card. I have three cards and a USB 2.0
    reader (which runs at full 2.0 speed). Two of the cards don't go any
    faster than they did on the old reader, the other one is more than twice
    as fast.
    Ron Hunter, Nov 26, 2003
  4. Nottoman

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Nottoman"

    >Noticing that my card reader could be a little faster as I'm using a 256MB
    >Compact Flash card. Saw on B&H some USB 2.O card readers. Any experience
    >with them and is the speed noticeable?

    Assuming you have a USB 2 port, you should see a big speed increase. The
    theoretical improvement is 40x, from 12 Mbs to 480 Mbs, but the actual
    improvement is likely to be less than 5x faster. I have two card readers, USB
    1 and USB 2, and it takes about 18 minutes to transfer around 900 MB from a
    Lexar car with USB 1 and about 3:30 with the USB 2 card.

    If your computer doesn't have a USB 2 port the new card won't do you any good
    though.

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Nov 26, 2003
  5. Nottoman

    Bill Kiene Guest

    Thanks for all the excellent info guys.....................I just keep
    reading and learning
    --
    Bill Kiene

    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Sacramento, CA
    www.kiene.com

    Bill Kiene, Nov 26, 2003
  6. Nottoman

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Bill Kiene wrote:
    > Thanks for all the excellent info guys.....................I just keep
    > reading and learning

    I am using a PQI reader that handles 6 different type cards. So far, it
    has been flawless. It even warned me that I didn't have a USB 2.0 high
    speed driver installed on my system.
    Ron Hunter, Nov 26, 2003
  7. Nottoman

    DHB Guest

    Something for all to think about if they are considering moving up to a
    faster USB 2.0 card reader:

    Consider buying a multi-card reader regardless of what type of memory
    "your" camera takes. The advantages may not present themselves right away
    but the small additional cost may soon allow you to benefit in 1 of 2 ways:

    <1> If you or anybody in your household buys a new digital camera or
    upgrades, your new reader will be able to read it regardless of what type of
    memory card it might use.

    <2> If family/friends drop-over (holidays & etc.) they are increasingly
    likely to have a digital camera & it may have a different type of flash
    memory card than yours does. Would it not be nice to be able to easily
    exchange pictures right then & there thanks to your multi-card reader?

    Here's a link to a review of Lexar's new multi-card USB 2.0 reader:

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/lexar_mcr-usb2.html

    Just my 2 cents worth, looking ahead!

    Respectfully, DHB

    DHB, Nov 27, 2003
  8. "Bill Hilton" <> wrote:

    > If your computer doesn't have a USB 2 port the new card won't do you any good
    > though.

    Not unless he either adds a USB2 card to his current computer, buys a
    new computer at some point and still has the USB2 reader, or uses
    someone else's computer with USB2 ports. I would go for the USB2
    reader anyway, unless the price difference is a big deal. :)
    --
    Judson McClendon (remove zero)
    Sun Valley Systems http://sunvaley.com
    Judson McClendon, Nov 27, 2003
  9. "Nottoman" <> wrote:
    > Noticing that my card reader could be a little faster as I'm using a 256MB
    > Compact Flash card. Saw on B&H some USB 2.O card readers. Any experience
    > with them and is the speed noticeable?

    Any time you buy a card reader, try to make sure it DOES NOT require
    you to install drivers to use it with your computer. Every time you install
    another piece of software, you create more chances for a computer
    glitch. Device drivers tend to be more prone to problems than most
    types of 'useful' software (games are the worst). Windows doesn't need
    any help in being flaky. :)
    Judson McClendon, Nov 27, 2003
  10. Nottoman

    LHBanchik Guest

    I use a Belkin 2.0 card reader and it works just fine. Plus it's very small
    and thin, about 2x4x.3 inches and reads all the formats except the new xD
    cards. BTW, if you have windows XP then you shouldn't need to install drivers
    for any well made card. The support is built into the OS (The belkin one does
    give you the option of installing a driver which adds pix to the 'my computer
    interface so you know which virtual drive is reading which type of card, nice
    but unnecessary).

    Lil
    Mr. Cole's Axiom: The sum of the intelligence of the planet is a constant.
    The population is increasing.
    LHBanchik, Nov 28, 2003
  11. Nottoman

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Nottoman wrote:

    > Noticing that my card reader could be a little faster as I'm using a
    > 256MB Compact Flash card. Saw on B&H some USB 2.O card
    > readers. Any experience with them and is the speed noticeable?
    > Thanks

    I'm using a PNY USB 2.0 multi-format (CF, SC, SD etc.)
    reader and it's *a lot* faster than the E-Film USB 1.1 I used
    to have. Got it from Best Buy on sale for something like
    $30.
    Paolo Pizzi, Nov 30, 2003
  12. Nottoman

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:

    > If your computer doesn't have a USB 2 port the new
    > card won't do you any good though.

    Well, in that case you could still buy a USB 2.0 card,
    which only costs $20 or so.
    Paolo Pizzi, Nov 30, 2003