    Anyway - does anyone know of any good US online sites that will ship to the
    UK ? Best price I've seen so far is NewEgg at $989 with kit lens, however
    they don't do any international shipments.

    adm, Dec 10, 2003

  2. adm

    Trev Guest

    "adm" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I am looking to buy a Canon Digital Rebel mail order from the US for
    > shipment to the UK. The price in the US is obvioulsy much lower due to

    the
    > strength of the British Pound vs the Dollar right now.
    >
    > (Current Dollar/£ is 1.74. This camera kit is £800 in the UK which

    equals
    > $1392 ! Basically, a 30% price advantage in the US)
    >
    > Anyway - does anyone know of any good US online sites that will ship

    to the
    > UK ? Best price I've seen so far is NewEgg at $989 with kit lens,

    however
    > they don't do any international shipments.

    Dont forget to add shipping duty and handling for the duty plus vat on
    top and in case it goes wrong shipping back to Good ol US of A

    Trev, Dec 10, 2003

  3. adm

    KS Guest

    > I am looking to buy a Canon Digital Rebel mail order from the US for
    > shipment to the UK. The price in the US is obvioulsy much lower due
    > to the strength of the British Pound vs the Dollar right now.

    I was looking at a similar concept, for buying something and shipping it to
    New Zealand.

    The shop I found, and others at work have used, was

    www.bhphotovideo.com

    in New York. They replied to emails and questions quite quickly. I had asked
    about them in this newsgroup a while ago, and didn't hear any terrible
    comments.

    But I didn't end up using them in the end, instead I purchased a 2nd hand
    DiMAGE7i via a forum at PBase, and saved even more money ! Cost me NZ$850
    delivered, with a shop list price of new at $2,200.

    KS, Dec 10, 2003
  4. On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:39:23 +0000, adm wrote:

    > Dear all,
    >
    > I am looking to buy a Canon Digital Rebel mail order from the US for
    > shipment to the UK. The price in the US is obvioulsy much lower due to the
    > strength of the British Pound vs the Dollar right now.
    >
    > (Current Dollar/£ is 1.74. This camera kit is £800 in the UK which
    > equals $1392 ! Basically, a 30% price advantage in the US)

    Your credit card company probably won't give you $1.74, and when it enters
    the UK, it's likely that customs will slap you with 17.5% VAT + whatever
    the appropriate rate of duty is on cameras. I'd expect to see you lose 25%
    of that 30% price advantage before you see the camera. Prices in the US
    look much lower than the UK, but they're always quoted without sales tax,
    and if you compare them to UK prices ex VAT, they're suddenly a lot closer.

    > Anyway - does anyone know of any good US online sites that will ship to
    > the UK ? Best price I've seen so far is NewEgg at $989 with kit lens,
    > however they don't do any international shipments.

    B&H or Adorama do, I'm sure.

    Mike.

    Mike Brodbelt, Dec 11, 2003
  5. adm

    zbzbzb Guest

    >Your credit card company probably won't give you $1.74, and when it enters
    >the UK, it's likely that customs will slap you with 17.5% VAT + whatever
    >the appropriate rate of duty is on cameras. I'd expect to see you lose 25%
    >of that 30% price advantage before you see the camera. Prices in the US
    >look much lower than the UK, but they're always quoted without sales tax,
    >and if you compare them to UK prices ex VAT, they're suddenly a lot closer.

    You do realize that he would not be charged the sales tax from the particular
    American state, right? Even if I ordered from B&H or Adorama from here in
    California I wouldn't be charged New York sales tax, or any tax for that
    matter.

    zbzbzb, Dec 11, 2003
  6. adm

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    zbzbzb wrote:

    > You do realize that he would not be charged the sales tax from the
    > particular American state, right? Even if I ordered from B&H or
    > Adorama from here in California I wouldn't be charged New York sales
    > tax, or any tax for that matter.

    California, wow, that's a surprise.
    Looks like YOU are the one who should pack up and
    go to a place where people like you (ultra right-wing
    nuts) are far more common. But then again, I'm not a
    fascist like you and you can stay in my state as long as
    you want... :)

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 11, 2003
  7. adm

    Lansbury Guest

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:39:23 -0000, "adm" <> wrote:

    >Dear all,
    >
    >I am looking to buy a Canon Digital Rebel mail order from the US for
    >shipment to the UK. The price in the US is obvioulsy much lower due to the
    >strength of the British Pound vs the Dollar right now.
    >
    >(Current Dollar/£ is 1.74. This camera kit is £800 in the UK which equals
    >$1392 ! Basically, a 30% price advantage in the US)
    >
    >Anyway - does anyone know of any good US online sites that will ship to the
    >UK ? Best price I've seen so far is NewEgg at $989 with kit lens, however
    >they don't do any international shipments.

    It only works out cheaper if you are actually over there and bring it
    back yourself. I got mine from B&H in New York, very good service and a
    very reputable company.

    --
    Lansbury
    www.uk-air.net

    Lansbury, Dec 11, 2003
  8. adm

    Gadget Guest

    On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
    >when it enters the UK, it's likely that customs will slap you with
    >17.5% VAT + whatever the appropriate rate of duty is on cameras.

    Just going off at tangent a bit, but would VAT apply to a privately
    bought second hand camera off eBay from the States sent to the UK? I'm
    assuming it wouldn't.
    But you know what they say about
    assumption being the brother of all ****-ups!

    --
    Gadget
    to email me direct use;

    Gadget, Dec 11, 2003
  9. adm

    adm Guest

    "Mike Brodbelt" <mike@_nospam_coruscant.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:39:23 +0000, adm wrote:
    >
    > > Dear all,
    > >
    > > I am looking to buy a Canon Digital Rebel mail order from the US for
    > > shipment to the UK. The price in the US is obvioulsy much lower due to

    the
    > > strength of the British Pound vs the Dollar right now.
    > >
    > > (Current Dollar/£ is 1.74. This camera kit is £800 in the UK which
    > > equals $1392 ! Basically, a 30% price advantage in the US)

    > Your credit card company probably won't give you $1.74, and when it enters
    > the UK, it's likely that customs will slap you with 17.5% VAT + whatever
    > the appropriate rate of duty is on cameras. I'd expect to see you lose 25%
    > of that 30% price advantage before you see the camera. Prices in the US
    > look much lower than the UK, but they're always quoted without sales tax,
    > and if you compare them to UK prices ex VAT, they're suddenly a lot

    closer.

    Well - I've imported a lot of stuff from the US to the UK and have only ever
    once been hit with duty and VAT. It basically depends on how the exporter
    labels the package. I normally ask them to use "gift" or "samples - no
    commercial value" which seems to work well.

    As for the exchange rate, you tend to get the best deals with CCs as they
    normally give you the spot rate onthe day of the transaction. However - I
    have a US dollar bank account anyway and would ideally pay via wire transfer
    from that.

    > > Anyway - does anyone know of any good US online sites that will ship to
    > > the UK ? Best price I've seen so far is NewEgg at $989 with kit lens,
    > > however they don't do any international shipments.

    > B&H or Adorama do, I'm sure.

    I've just found out that I will be visiting the US during the 2nd week of
    January next year - so I may well just wait until then, despite the fact
    that I'd like this camera as a christmas present for myself....

    adm, Dec 11, 2003
  10. adm

    adm Guest

    "Lansbury" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:39:23 -0000, "adm" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Dear all,
    > >
    > >I am looking to buy a Canon Digital Rebel mail order from the US for
    > >shipment to the UK. The price in the US is obvioulsy much lower due to

    the
    > >strength of the British Pound vs the Dollar right now.
    > >
    > >(Current Dollar/£ is 1.74. This camera kit is £800 in the UK which equals
    > >$1392 ! Basically, a 30% price advantage in the US)
    > >
    > >Anyway - does anyone know of any good US online sites that will ship to

    the
    > >UK ? Best price I've seen so far is NewEgg at $989 with kit lens, however
    > >they don't do any international shipments.

    > It only works out cheaper if you are actually over there and bring it
    > back yourself. I got mine from B&H in New York, very good service and a
    > very reputable company.

    It all depends on whether you pay duty and VAT or not - see earlier post.

    I was in Singapore last month and actually should have bought the camera
    then - equivalent to around $750 US with lens and 512M CF.

    But - I will be in the US in January and may just wait until then.

    adm, Dec 11, 2003
  11. adm

    zbzbzb Guest

    >> You do realize that he would not be charged the sales tax from the
    >> particular American state, right? Even if I ordered from B&H or
    >> Adorama from here in California I wouldn't be charged New York sales
    >> tax, or any tax for that matter.

    >California, wow, that's a surprise.
    >Looks like YOU are the one who should pack up and
    >go to a place where people like you (ultra right-wing
    >nuts) are far more common. But then again, I'm not a
    >fascist like you and you can stay in my state as long as
    >you want... :)

    Oh great, now I have a news groupee stalker.

    zbzbzb, Dec 11, 2003
  12. adm

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    zbzbzb wrote:
    >>> You do realize that he would not be charged the sales tax from the
    >>> particular American state, right? Even if I ordered from B&H or
    >>> Adorama from here in California I wouldn't be charged New York sales
    >>> tax, or any tax for that matter.

    >> California, wow, that's a surprise.
    >> Looks like YOU are the one who should pack up and
    >> go to a place where people like you (ultra right-wing
    >> nuts) are far more common. But then again, I'm not a
    >> fascist like you and you can stay in my state as long as
    >> you want... :)
    >>

    > Oh great, now I have a news groupee stalker.

    Just returning the favor, my dear double standard user...

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 11, 2003
  13. adm

    zbzbzb Guest

    >> Oh great, now I have a news groupee stalker.

    >Just returning the favor, my dear double standard user...

    Oh really? And when did I follow you from a discussion we were having on one
    subject to answer you in another??? You can get the last word as you are
    getting too creepy my friend.

    zbzbzb, Dec 11, 2003
  14. On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 07:39:19 +0000, zbzbzb wrote:

    >>Your credit card company probably won't give you $1.74, and when it
    >>enters the UK, it's likely that customs will slap you with 17.5% VAT +
    >>whatever the appropriate rate of duty is on cameras. I'd expect to see
    >>you lose 25% of that 30% price advantage before you see the camera.
    >>Prices in the US look much lower than the UK, but they're always quoted
    >>without sales tax, and if you compare them to UK prices ex VAT, they're
    >>suddenly a lot closer.

    > You do realize that he would not be charged the sales tax from the
    > particular American state, right? Even if I ordered from B&H or Adorama
    > from here in California I wouldn't be charged New York sales tax, or any
    > tax for that matter.

    Sure, but sales tax in New York is only about 8%, which is modest compared
    to UK VAT at 17.5%. I was just saying that the quoted US price (i.e. ex
    sales tax) and the ex VAT UK price often aren't that far apart. The saving
    people make by getting stuff from the US is mostly down to tax rate
    differences, and technically you have to pay customs charges on anything
    you import into the UK. If the vendor will label it as gift, and mark down
    the value you may get away with it, but many won't - you're effectively
    asking them to commit fraud on a customs declaration after all.

    Even if you buy something on holiday in the US, if the value is above
    145 gbp you're liable for duty/VAT on it when you bring it back. Most of
    the savings to be made from getting stuff from the US actually comes down
    to how effective people are at VAT evasion, which, while it may save you
    money, isn't the same as prices actually being cheaper.....

    Mike.

    Mike Brodbelt, Dec 11, 2003
  15. adm

    zbzbzb Guest

    >Sure, but sales tax in New York is only about 8%, which is modest compared
    >to UK VAT at 17.5%. I was just saying that the quoted US price (i.e. ex
    >sales tax) and the ex VAT UK price often aren't that far apart.

    I don't know as I'm always hearing there is usually a considerable difference.
    Guess it depends where you shop.

    zbzbzb, Dec 11, 2003
  16. > Even if you buy something on holiday in the US, if the value is above
    > 145 gbp you're liable for duty/VAT on it when you bring it back. Most of
    > the savings to be made from getting stuff from the US actually comes

    down
    > to how effective people are at VAT evasion, which, while it may save you
    > money, isn't the same as prices actually being cheaper.....

    ... and evasion leads to confiscation of the goods or worse ...

    David
    (not speaking from personal experience!)

    David J Taylor, Dec 11, 2003
  17. adm

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    zbzbzb wrote:
    >>> Oh great, now I have a news groupee stalker.

    >> Just returning the favor, my dear double standard user...
    >>

    > Oh really? And when did I follow you from a discussion we were having
    > on one subject to answer you in another??? You can get the last word
    > as you are getting too creepy my friend.

    Creepy? You mean as in someone who tells you to leave your own
    country just because he hates your ideas and "funny" name?

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 11, 2003
  18. adm

    Guest

    If you manage to escape paying import duty/vat the first time it comes
    in to the country, then you must also think of evading it the second
    time.....then the third......

    In, say, two years time you could be pulled aside on your way back
    from your european holiday, and have the serial number of the camera
    checked, revealing that it was bought in the USA. The customs officer
    would then request you to produce evidence that duty and tax has been
    paid. But if you never intend to take it back outside the UK, then it
    won't be a problem.

    MJ

    , Dec 12, 2003
  19. adm

    zbzbzb Guest

    >Creepy? You mean as in someone who tells you to leave your own
    >country just because he hates your ideas

    Nope, I said that hates my country. As usual you like to make things up.

    >and "funny" name?

    You shouldn't think so badly of your own name.

    zbzbzb, Dec 12, 2003
  20. adm

    zbzbzb Guest

    >If you manage to escape paying import duty/vat the first time it comes
    >in to the country, then you must also think of evading it the second
    >time.....then the third......
    >
    >In, say, two years time you could be pulled aside on your way back
    >from your european holiday, and have the serial number of the camera
    >checked, revealing that it was bought in the USA. The customs officer
    >would then request you to produce evidence that duty and tax has been
    >paid. But if you never intend to take it back outside the UK, then it
    >won't be a problem.
    >
    >MJ

    You could always say it was given to you as a gift and that it was non
    functioning and basically worthless. You could say you found it. Many simple
    ways around such a very unlikely scenario.

    zbzbzb, Dec 12, 2003