    (With the MCDST Cert.)

    Any feedback would be appreciated! :)

    Thanks!

    Ryan, Nov 3, 2006

  2. Ryan,
    It depends on your interests. I do not want you to waste time and money
    on A+, Network+, or MCDST if you are interested in programming or web
    development. Information Technology is a broad field. Let us know what
    interest you have.

    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,
    Network+, i-Net+, CIW Assoc.,
    CIW Certified Instructor

    Michael D. Alligood, Nov 3, 2006

  3. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    Hi, Michael,

    I really am not interested in programming or web development, considering I
    like to work with people one on one.

    The type of work I have been doing for the school district varies, but most
    of it involves hands on involvement in showing the end user how to fix a
    problem, and how to prevent it in the future.

    I set up machines, do software installations / upgrades, troubleshooting, etc.

    Hopefully this helps you in answering my question.

    Thanks!

    Ryan, Nov 3, 2006
  4. "Ryan" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, Michael,
    >
    > I really am not interested in programming or web development, considering

    > like to work with people one on one.
    >
    > The type of work I have been doing for the school district varies, but

    most
    > of it involves hands on involvement in showing the end user how to fix a
    > problem, and how to prevent it in the future.
    >
    > I set up machines, do software installations / upgrades, troubleshooting,

    etc.

    > Hopefully this helps you in answering my question.
    >
    > Thanks!

    In th case, I think MCDST is a good start. Since you already have some
    experience (perhaps a lot, I don't know), you should do fine with some
    studying. After that certification, I would start going after MCSE.

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Roberts, Nov 4, 2006
  5. If I were your mentor, I would start you with the A+ and Network+
    certifications. This will give you the foundation you need to move
    forward. Then move into MCP and MCDST. If you want to perform server
    administration, then achieving your MCSA would be advisable as well. If
    you are interested in designing, securing, and troubleshooting domain /
    enterprises companies, then an MCSE would be advisable. However once you
    enter this realm, unless you are the only guy in the I.T. department,
    you will not be dealing with the end users too much (i.e. setting up
    machines, upgrades, etc.) I know tons of MCSEs that do not know how to
    change out a NIC; much less troubleshoot a desktop PC.

    If you like the end users troubleshooting, desktop environment more than
    the server side of things, that is cool. I enjoy this as well. What I am
    trying to get at is this: Do not waste your time and money on
    certifications if you do not plan on using the knowledge. Knowing about
    Active Directory, Exchange, or SQL will not help you troubleshoot end
    user computers. I want you to get the education you need without you
    thinking you have to get all of these certification to be successful.

    Michael D. Alligood

    Michael D. Alligood, Nov 4, 2006
  6. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    Hello again, Michael,

    Thank you for your feedback. I am going to persue the MCDST first, and then
    move to some other certs.

    I already have the first book for 70-271 by Ms Press. I am going to follow
    the book, etc, and review with the cd that came with the book. Will the
    self-paced training book and the review cd help me pass the exam?

    From what I've read so far in the book I knew already...

    Any suggestions on how to accomplish the exam, studying tips, etc would be
    appreciated. :)

    Ryan

    Ryan, Nov 9, 2006