Good Signal but no internet when not b/c SSID

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Chris Cowles, Jan 1, 2005.

  1. Chris Cowles

    Chris Cowles Guest

    Ken Wright wrote:
    > No argument there - This was simply something that was bugging me because I
    > couldn't figure out why.

    If SP2 finds a broadcasting SSID it won't connect to a non-broadcasting
    SSID. I just learned that over the weekend after upgrading my kids'
    Win2K Pro computer to a Win XP Pro computer. XPP found my neighbor's
    linksys WAP (broadcasting with all defaults) and wouldn't connect to the
    WAP it had been successfully connected to before, my own.

    Chris Cowles
    Gainesville, FL
    Chris Cowles, Jan 1, 2005

  2. Chris Cowles

    Ken Wright Guest

    Buffalo Air Station 125 on a desktop - Desktop is Win XP SP2. Laptop
    (Win2K) has a Buffalo 125 Cardbus in it and works fine, connecting
    automatically when booted up. I have WPA-AES enabled and all works fine. I
    then tried switching off broadcasting the SSID and suddenly I can longer
    connect to the internet on the laptop. I use an existing profile to connect
    to the AP which as far as I can see is successful because I get a good
    signal strength (Better than normal in fact), but just can't connect to the
    web. Trouble is that I get a message that says Access Point not found, but
    how can I be getting a good signal if no AP is found? As soon as I
    re-enable broadcasting I can see the network from the laptop, can reconnect
    and immediately see it renew the IP address, and can also then connect to
    the web.

    I know that not broadcasting the SSID doesn't really do anything for
    security and so can simply re-enable it, but it's bugging me as to why it
    should do this.

    Any thoughts anyone???

    Regards
    Ken...................
    Ken Wright, Jan 2, 2005

  3. Chris Cowles

    mikeFNB Guest

    it's a known problem with some pc's after sp2.
    there wasa thread with a pointer to a knowledge base last week

    mike

    mikeFNB, Jan 2, 2005
  4. Chris Cowles

    Sooner Al Guest

    There is no good reason to not broadcast the SSID anyway. It is not a valid security measure..

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    Sooner Al, Jan 2, 2005
  5. Chris Cowles

    Ken Wright Guest

    No argument there - This was simply something that was bugging me because I
    couldn't figure out why.

    Regards
    Ken............................ MVP Excel

    "Sooner Al" <> wrote in message
    > There is no good reason to not broadcast the SSID anyway. It is not a

    valid security measure..

    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...

    rights...

    Ken Wright, Jan 2, 2005
  6. Chris Cowles

    Ken Wright Guest

    Cheers Mike, I'll have a trawl.

    Regards
    Ken........................... MVP Excel

    Ken Wright, Jan 2, 2005
  7. Chris Cowles

    Ken Wright Guest

    Hi Chris, I'd come across that one but there are are no other broadcasting
    SSIDs in range at the moment. Different story if I go wandering up the
    street with my laptop :)

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

    It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :)

    Ken Wright, Jan 3, 2005