    Thanks
    Smokeyone

    , Jun 10, 2005

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Has anyone any views on the Olympus c7000. As a newbie to digital I
    > have been advised to stay away from Olympus (although my Olympus OM1 is
    > still going strong) and stick to Canon, Panasonic or Nikon.......

    Don't know, but having an older Olympus that worked great until it died, I
    am wondering why they get bashed now. Mine died well out of warranty and
    gave years of good service. Maybe this brand has gone downhill, or maybe
    bashers are unfairly maligning it. In case you don't know, here is a
    review: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusc7000/

    Charles Schuler, Jun 10, 2005

  3. Pete D Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Has anyone any views on the Olympus c7000. As a newbie to digital I
    > have been advised to stay away from Olympus (although my Olympus OM1 is
    > still going strong) and stick to Canon, Panasonic or Nikon.......
    >
    > Thanks
    > Smokeyone

    What sort of budget do you have and what are you taking photos of?

    Pete D, Jun 10, 2005
  4. Guest

    Thank you both for your replies.

    Is there a compact camera with a high resolution that has the
    equalivent of a 200mm plus lens and the ability to go to over 400asa
    say at 1.8.

    Thanks
    Smokeyone

    , Jun 11, 2005
  5. Alan McGrath Guest

    I can't comment on the Oly c7000, I have an Oly C770 which I bought after I
    got rid of my Canon G6. I have had several Canon digital cameras and have
    always found myself making excuses for unsharp images "out of the camera".
    A week ago I took some candits at a housewarming party, I used my Oly C770.
    A few days later i saw the house owners and gave them some prints I got from
    a "booth machine", they were overjoyed with the quality and made specific
    comments about the sharpness. If you regard yourself as a photographer and
    not a computer operator or a darkroom technician then stay away from Canon,
    it will drive you mad.

    Alan

    Alan McGrath, Jun 11, 2005
  6. Marvin Guest

    wrote:
    > Has anyone any views on the Olympus c7000. As a newbie to digital I
    > have been advised to stay away from Olympus (although my Olympus OM1 is
    > still going strong) and stick to Canon, Panasonic or Nikon.......
    >
    > Thanks
    > Smokeyone

    I've had two Olympus digicams (one was stolen), and my wife has one. We like them. Some
    Oly models have gotten top ratings in mags like PC World.

    I got my wife he Oly as a presenyt, because it handled very much like the Oly film camera
    she was using. It made the switch to digital almost instant for her.

    Marvin, Jun 11, 2005
  7. Stacey Guest

    wrote:

    > Is there a compact camera with a high resolution that has the
    > equalivent of a 200mm plus lens and the ability to go to over 400asa
    > say at 1.8.

    No

    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, Jun 11, 2005
  8. writes:

    > Has anyone any views on the Olympus c7000. As a newbie to digital I
    > have been advised to stay away from Olympus (although my Olympus OM1 is
    > still going strong) and stick to Canon, Panasonic or Nikon.......

    I don't know. I'm on my 4th Olympus camera (D-510Z, C-2100UZ, D-40Z, and now
    E-1), and generally I feel they do generally do quite well. In particular, the
    colors tend to be nice and striking. Like all cameras, there are things they
    do better than others, and thing they do worse at. I haven't used the C-7000
    myself, but I see it was reviewed in dpreview.com:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusc7000/

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: