    IT gear here in NZ?

    It's about time some pressure was applied to retailers to offer more
    competitive deals like those on offer in the US.

    Mark., Jun 10, 2005

  2. Mark. wrote:
    > Is there a NZ equivalent to http://dealnews.com/ or http://slickdeals.net/ where one can find discount codes or coupons for better deals on
    > IT gear here in NZ?
    >
    > It's about time some pressure was applied to retailers to offer more
    > competitive deals like those on offer in the US.

    I very much doubt anyone who is technically competent enough to make it
    here actually pays retail prices for their IT gear. Large retailers with
    huge markups can offer discounts, but the reality is most IT gear sold
    here has bugger-all profit for the people selling it to you. Margins for
    online stores are only around 4%.

    NZ gets less selection, buys in lower volume, and the market is
    dominated by a small group of distributors.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jun 10, 2005

  3. Mark.

    Chris Hope Guest

    Chris Hope, Jun 10, 2005
  4. Mark.

    Tony Guest

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:51:41 +1200, "Mark."
    <> wrote:

    >Is there a NZ equivalent to http://dealnews.com/ or http://slickdeals.net/ where one can find discount codes or coupons for better deals on
    >IT gear here in NZ?
    >
    >It's about time some pressure was applied to retailers to offer more
    >competitive deals like those on offer in the US.

    Yes but we are a Small country, Sheep do not Buy IT gear.

    Plus NZ can't deal direct with the manufactures as the volumes are to low.

    Tony, Jun 10, 2005
  5. Mark.

    H.O.G Guest

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:51:41 +1200, "Mark."
    <> spoke these fine
    words:

    >Is there a NZ equivalent to http://dealnews.com/ or http://slickdeals.net/ where one can find discount codes or coupons for better deals on
    >IT gear here in NZ?
    >
    >It's about time some pressure was applied to retailers to offer more
    >competitive deals like those on offer in the US.

    You do realise that most retailers would be paying you to take it away
    if they offered much more of a discount?

    Half of the online ones are already - they just don't realise it.

    It's about time some pressure was applied to consumers to realise that
    if they buy cheap, they get shit.

    H.O.G, Jun 10, 2005
  6. Mark.

    Impossible Guest

    "H.O.G" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:51:41 +1200, "Mark."
    > <> spoke these fine
    > words:
    >
    >>Is there a NZ equivalent to http://dealnews.com/ or
    >>http://slickdeals.net/ where one can find discount codes or coupons
    >>for better deals on
    >>IT gear here in NZ?
    >>
    >>It's about time some pressure was applied to retailers to offer more
    >>competitive deals like those on offer in the US.

    The problem is really with the manufacturers. You'd think there would
    be a single global market in computer gear with a globally competive
    price fixed by supply and demand. This would be the case if online
    sales and distribution channels worked better. Instead what we have
    are geographically segmented markets in which wholesale and retail
    distributors are given certain natural monopolies to fix prices at a
    level that will return premiums to the manufacturers as well as small
    (or not so small) profits to the various middlemen.

    > You do realise that most retailers would be paying you to take it
    > away
    > if they offered much more of a discount?
    >

    > Half of the online ones are already - they just don't realise it.

    Think of the "volume discount" available to US distributors as the
    global market price -- the baseline. Prices offered then to
    distributors elsewhere -- Europe, NZ, wherever -- will be scaled
    upwards from that baseline according to a formula that is as much
    strategic as it is mathematical: manufacturers fetch higher prices for
    their goods from NZ distributors, and NZ distributors pass them along
    to consumers, because they can get away with it in a non-competitive
    environment. Simple as that. One of the cleverer bits to the scheme is
    the invention of new model numbers for products distributed outside
    the US, which makes it very difficult for consumers to actually know
    what they're paying more for.

    > It's about time some pressure was applied to consumers to realise
    > that
    > if they buy cheap, they get shit.

    Retailers apply that pressure all the time. Truth is, as anyone who
    browses the net can see for themselves, it's not the case.

    Impossible, Jun 10, 2005
  7. Mark.

    Scooter Guest

    On , , Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:51:41 +1200, Good price deals in NZ?,
    "Mark." <> wrote:

    >Is there a NZ equivalent to http://dealnews.com/ or http://slickdeals.net/ where one can find discount codes or coupons for better deals on
    >IT gear here in NZ?
    >
    >It's about time some pressure was applied to retailers to offer more
    >competitive deals like those on offer in the US.

    If you can buy as much as the retailers in the US do I am sure
    they will give you the same kind of discounts.

    --
    Opinions expressed are only my own. The above
    post may or may not contain one or more of the

    Scooter, Jun 13, 2005
  8. Mark.

    Impossible Guest

    "Scooter" <> wrote in message
    > On , , Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:51:41 +1200, Good price deals in NZ?,
    > "Mark." <> wrote:
    >
    >>Is there a NZ equivalent to http://dealnews.com/ or
    >>http://slickdeals.net/ where one can find discount codes or coupons
    >>for better deals on
    >>IT gear here in NZ?
    >>
    >>It's about time some pressure was applied to retailers to offer more
    >>competitive deals like those on offer in the US.

    > If you can buy as much as the retailers in the US do I am sure
    > they will give you the same kind of discounts.

    Distributors get volume discounts and other deals all the time. The
    issue is whether they pass the savings along to consumers. In NZ,
    where retail competition is limited, there is much less incentive for
    anyone to do so.

    Impossible, Jun 13, 2005
  9. Mark.

    Scooter Guest

    On , , Mon, 13 Jun 2005 10:05:46 -0400, Re: Good price deals in
    NZ?, "Impossible" <> wrote:

    >"Scooter" <> wrote in message
    >> On , , Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:51:41 +1200, Good price deals in NZ?,
    >> "Mark." <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is there a NZ equivalent to http://dealnews.com/ or
    >>>http://slickdeals.net/ where one can find discount codes or coupons
    >>>for better deals on
    >>>IT gear here in NZ?
    >>>
    >>>It's about time some pressure was applied to retailers to offer more
    >>>competitive deals like those on offer in the US.

    >> If you can buy as much as the retailers in the US do I am sure
    >> they will give you the same kind of discounts.
    >>

    >Distributors get volume discounts and other deals all the time.

    But nothing like the discounts available to the purchasers in the
    USA. For example the difference between purchasing say 10 and
    10,000.

    Scooter, Jun 18, 2005