Good place to get replacment battery?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by sally, Sep 2, 2009.

  1. sally

    sally Guest

    I want to get a spare battery for my Casio compact camera. Where can I
    get a half-decent NP-20 battery at a reasonable price?

    For example, Play.com does an Inov8 replacement battery for £8.99 inc
    delivery. 7dayshop sells a replacement battery for £4.49 delivered.

    Are these good value or are they just cheap batteries that have much less
    capacity than the original?

    play.com NP-20:
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/nxodn8

    7dayshop.com NP-20:
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/n8d753
    sally, Sep 2, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. sally <> was inspired to say
    >I want to get a spare battery for my Casio compact camera. Where can I
    >get a half-decent NP-20 battery at a reasonable price?
    >
    >For example, Play.com does an Inov8 replacement battery for £8.99 inc
    >delivery. 7dayshop sells a replacement battery for £4.49 delivered.
    >
    >Are these good value or are they just cheap batteries that have much less
    >capacity than the original?
    >
    >play.com NP-20:
    >http://preview.tinyurl.com/nxodn8
    >
    >7dayshop.com NP-20:
    >http://preview.tinyurl.com/n8d753


    Although I aven't bought an NP-20 (I did have a dud by Hahnel from
    elsewhere) from them, other batteries I've bought from 7dayshop are
    lasting as well as the OEMs.

    Mike

    --
    Michael J Davis

    Now with added pictures on http://www.flickr.com/photos/watchman

    <><
    The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.
    Dorethea Lange
    <><
    Michael J Davis, Sep 2, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. sally

    Geoff Berrow Guest

    On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 11:43:36 +0100, sally <> wrote:

    >Are these good value or are they just cheap batteries that have much less
    >capacity than the original?



    Fercryinoutloud, for a fiver, it's practically disposable.

    We use a cheap replacement in our Canon Ixus and can't tell any
    difference from the original.
    --
    Geoff Berrow
    It's only Usenet, no one dies.
    My opinions, not the committee's, mine.
    Put thecat out to email
    Geoff Berrow, Sep 2, 2009
    #3
  4. sally

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    Michael J Davis <> wrote:

    > sally <> was inspired to say
    > >I want to get a spare battery for my Casio compact camera. Where can I
    > >get a half-decent NP-20 battery at a reasonable price?
    > >
    > >For example, Play.com does an Inov8 replacement battery for £8.99 inc
    > >delivery. 7dayshop sells a replacement battery for £4.49 delivered.
    > >
    > >Are these good value or are they just cheap batteries that have much less
    > >capacity than the original?
    > >
    > >play.com NP-20:
    > >http://preview.tinyurl.com/nxodn8
    > >
    > >7dayshop.com NP-20:
    > >http://preview.tinyurl.com/n8d753

    >
    > Although I aven't bought an NP-20 (I did have a dud by Hahnel from
    > elsewhere) from them, other batteries I've bought from 7dayshop are
    > lasting as well as the OEMs.


    Likewise, I usually use 7dayshop, and have cheapies for both my Mju500
    and E520, and I can't tell which battery I used each time, they all work
    as well as each other.

    --
    Andy Hewitt
    <http://web.me.com/andrewhewitt1/>
    Andy Hewitt, Sep 2, 2009
    #4
  5. sally wrote:
    > I want to get a spare battery for my Casio compact camera. Where can
    > I get a half-decent NP-20 battery at a reasonable price?
    >
    > For example, Play.com does an Inov8 replacement battery for £8.99 inc
    > delivery. 7dayshop sells a replacement battery for £4.49 delivered.
    >
    > Are these good value or are they just cheap batteries that have much
    > less capacity than the original?
    >
    > play.com NP-20:
    > http://preview.tinyurl.com/nxodn8
    >
    > 7dayshop.com NP-20:
    > http://preview.tinyurl.com/n8d753


    Here's another one:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.27950

    $4.59 ~ £2.85


    --
    Kristian Kjerstad
    Kristian Kjerstad, Sep 2, 2009
    #5
  6. "Andy Hewitt" <> wrote in message
    news:1j5f1b2.uyott31upnij9N%...
    > Michael J Davis <> wrote:
    >
    >> sally <> was inspired to say
    >> >I want to get a spare battery for my Casio compact camera. Where can
    >> >I
    >> >get a half-decent NP-20 battery at a reasonable price?
    >> >
    >> >For example, Play.com does an Inov8 replacement battery for £8.99 inc
    >> >delivery. 7dayshop sells a replacement battery for £4.49 delivered.
    >> >
    >> >Are these good value or are they just cheap batteries that have much
    >> >less
    >> >capacity than the original?
    >> >
    >> >play.com NP-20:
    >> >http://preview.tinyurl.com/nxodn8
    >> >
    >> >7dayshop.com NP-20:
    >> >http://preview.tinyurl.com/n8d753

    >>
    >> Although I aven't bought an NP-20 (I did have a dud by Hahnel from
    >> elsewhere) from them, other batteries I've bought from 7dayshop are
    >> lasting as well as the OEMs.

    >
    > Likewise, I usually use 7dayshop, and have cheapies for both my Mju500
    > and E520, and I can't tell which battery I used each time, they all work
    > as well as each other.


    Same here with Nikon and Panasonic equivalent Li-ion batteries.

    David
    David J Taylor, Sep 2, 2009
    #6
  7. sally

    Mike Guest

    Andy Hewitt wrote:
    > Michael J Davis <> wrote:
    >
    >> sally <> was inspired to say
    >>> I want to get a spare battery for my Casio compact camera. Where can I
    >>> get a half-decent NP-20 battery at a reasonable price?
    >>>
    >>> For example, Play.com does an Inov8 replacement battery for £8.99 inc
    >>> delivery. 7dayshop sells a replacement battery for £4.49 delivered.
    >>>
    >>> Are these good value or are they just cheap batteries that have much less
    >>> capacity than the original?
    >>>
    >>> play.com NP-20:
    >>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/nxodn8
    >>>
    >>> 7dayshop.com NP-20:
    >>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/n8d753

    >> Although I aven't bought an NP-20 (I did have a dud by Hahnel from
    >> elsewhere) from them, other batteries I've bought from 7dayshop are
    >> lasting as well as the OEMs.

    >
    > Likewise, I usually use 7dayshop, and have cheapies for both my Mju500
    > and E520, and I can't tell which battery I used each time, they all work
    > as well as each other.
    >


    I order lots of bit's and bobs from 7day shop inc batteries, memory,
    replacement caps and small cases. Delivery to the UK is normally less
    than 5 working days and their own brand stuff is good quality.

    Mike
    Mike, Sep 2, 2009
    #7
  8. sally

    Mike Guest

    spacecadet wrote:
    > Kristian Kjerstad wrote:
    >> sally wrote:
    >>> I want to get a spare battery for my Casio compact camera. Where can
    >>> I get a half-decent NP-20 battery at a reasonable price?
    >>>
    >>> For example, Play.com does an Inov8 replacement battery for £8.99 inc
    >>> delivery. 7dayshop sells a replacement battery for £4.49 delivered.
    >>>
    >>> Are these good value or are they just cheap batteries that have much
    >>> less capacity than the original?
    >>>
    >>> play.com NP-20:
    >>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/nxodn8
    >>>
    >>> 7dayshop.com NP-20:
    >>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/n8d753

    >>
    >> Here's another one:
    >> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.27950
    >>
    >> $4.59 ~ £2.85
    >>
    >>

    > The problem with Ebay is Chinese fakes even if they say 'UK despatch'.
    > Check the feedback


    Even feedback isn't reliable - most people leave it after briefly
    checking the item, it's only after use people realise the battery isn't
    as good as it should be.

    that said I bought a battery from Hong Kong - not advertised as genuine,
    it's not as good as the Sony original but after nearly a year of use I'd
    rate it as 80-90% of the original Sony in terms of capacity. It even
    holds the charged unused unlike a lot of cheap alternatives

    Not bad for £10 vs almost £40 for the sony.
    Mike, Sep 3, 2009
    #8
  9. sally

    Huge Guest

    On 2009-09-03, spacecadet <> wrote:
    > Kristian Kjerstad wrote:
    >> sally wrote:
    >>> I want to get a spare battery for my Casio compact camera. Where can
    >>> I get a half-decent NP-20 battery at a reasonable price?
    >>>
    >>> For example, Play.com does an Inov8 replacement battery for £8.99 inc
    >>> delivery. 7dayshop sells a replacement battery for £4.49 delivered.
    >>>
    >>> Are these good value or are they just cheap batteries that have much
    >>> less capacity than the original?
    >>>
    >>> play.com NP-20:
    >>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/nxodn8
    >>>
    >>> 7dayshop.com NP-20:
    >>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/n8d753

    >>
    >> Here's another one:
    >> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.27950
    >>
    >> $4.59 ~ £2.85
    >>
    >>

    > The problem with Ebay is Chinese fakes even if they say 'UK despatch'.


    Too damn true.

    > Check the feedback


    I bought a 32Gb USB stick on eBay recently which turned out to be a fake,
    even though it was UK despatched from someone with high feedback. In his
    defence, I got my money back.

    As for batteries, I've had good service from; www.battery-house.co.uk



    --
    "Atheists pay taxes too."
    http://hyperangry.blogspot.com/
    [email me, if you must, at huge {at} huge (dot) org <dot> uk]
    Huge, Sep 3, 2009
    #9
  10. sally <> wrote:
    >Are these good value or are they just cheap batteries that have much less
    >capacity than the original?


    The capacity of a battery is a key part of its specification and is
    explicitely listed (e.g. mAh: 630mAh). Therefore the capacity of
    different batteries is trivial to compare unless we are talking about
    fraudulent statements.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Sep 3, 2009
    #10
  11. sally

    Mike Guest

    Jürgen Exner wrote:
    > sally <> wrote:
    >> Are these good value or are they just cheap batteries that have much less
    >> capacity than the original?

    >
    > The capacity of a battery is a key part of its specification and is
    > explicitely listed (e.g. mAh: 630mAh). Therefore the capacity of
    > different batteries is trivial to compare unless we are talking about
    > fraudulent statements.
    >
    > jue


    The cheap knockoffs on ebay rarely live upto the billed capacity.

    Mike
    Mike, Sep 3, 2009
    #11

  12. > Kristian Kjerstad wrote
    >> Here's another one:
    >> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.27950
    >>
    >> $4.59 ~ £2.85


    >spacecadet wrote:
    > The problem with Ebay is Chinese fakes even if they say 'UK despatch'.
    > Check the feedback


    Dealextreme isn't Ebay...

    And about fakes: A battery meant to look like a original Casio battery is a
    fake. How can a battery that clearly says it's not an original be a fake?
    ("Casio NP-20 Compatible", and "For Casio" and no Casio logo should ring a
    bell)

    --
    Kristian Kjerstad
    Kristian Kjerstad, Sep 3, 2009
    #12
  13. In rec.photo.digital Mike <> wrote:
    > J?rgen Exner wrote:
    >> sally <> wrote:
    >>> Are these good value or are they just cheap batteries that have much less
    >>> capacity than the original?

    >>
    >> The capacity of a battery is a key part of its specification and is
    >> explicitely listed (e.g. mAh: 630mAh). Therefore the capacity of
    >> different batteries is trivial to compare unless we are talking about
    >> fraudulent statements.
    >>
    >> jue


    > The cheap knockoffs on ebay rarely live upto the billed capacity.


    That's also true of many of the expensive originals!

    I bought cheap ebay batteries for my phone. They were a third of the
    price, and accurately advertised as having 50% more capacity. I also
    got another set, much bigger, which came with an enlarged backplate to
    accommodate the size. They corresponded to nothing the maker sold, and
    gave me 4 times the capacity. They lasted a delightful month on a
    single charge! No need to take a charger on holiday!

    Incidentally the cheap Ebay knockoffs for my last camera advertised
    themselves as having 10% more capacity, and they certainly lasted at
    least as long as the maker's original.

    --
    Chris Malcolm
    Chris Malcolm, Sep 3, 2009
    #13
  14. sally

    Mike Guest

    Chris Malcolm wrote:
    > In rec.photo.digital Mike <> wrote:
    >> J?rgen Exner wrote:
    >>> sally <> wrote:
    >>>> Are these good value or are they just cheap batteries that have much less
    >>>> capacity than the original?
    >>> The capacity of a battery is a key part of its specification and is
    >>> explicitely listed (e.g. mAh: 630mAh). Therefore the capacity of
    >>> different batteries is trivial to compare unless we are talking about
    >>> fraudulent statements.
    >>>
    >>> jue

    >
    >> The cheap knockoffs on ebay rarely live upto the billed capacity.

    >
    > That's also true of many of the expensive originals!
    >
    > I bought cheap ebay batteries for my phone. They were a third of the
    > price, and accurately advertised as having 50% more capacity. I also
    > got another set, much bigger, which came with an enlarged backplate to
    > accommodate the size. They corresponded to nothing the maker sold, and
    > gave me 4 times the capacity. They lasted a delightful month on a
    > single charge! No need to take a charger on holiday!
    >
    > Incidentally the cheap Ebay knockoffs for my last camera advertised
    > themselves as having 10% more capacity, and they certainly lasted at
    > least as long as the maker's original.


    Like I said; rarely! With no way of accurately measuring the capacity I
    assume the original (sony or whatever) battery capacity is correct.

    I've bought batteries for PDA, several different types of phone and
    cameras from eBay. All advertised the same or higher capacity, only a
    couple actually lived up to that promise based on day to day use. TBH I
    expect that and provided the performance is not abysmal I accept it as a
    cost saving measure.

    I have been pleasantly surprised with the NP-FM500H I got off eBay which
    seems to hold pretty close to the original. I tend to swap them over as
    I charge and even after a month in my bag it still delivers similar
    performance to the Sony original.

    Mike
    Mike, Sep 3, 2009
    #14
  15. sally

    SMS Guest

    Chris Malcolm wrote:
    > In rec.photo.digital Mike <> wrote:
    >> J?rgen Exner wrote:


    >> The cheap knockoffs on ebay rarely live upto the billed capacity.

    >
    > That's also true of many of the expensive originals!


    You have to watch out for old stock, especially for batteries that
    aren't all that popular. Last week I received a "genuine" Motorola
    battery for my phone, that was manufactured in 2006. A three year old
    Li-Ion battery is about at end of life. An after-market battery for an
    older device may actually be better.

    The problem with after-market camera batteries is rarely an issue with
    the actual cells inside the pack. It's more of an issue with tolerances
    of the pack (I've seen after-market batteries that were a tad larger and
    would not fit into the camera) or whether or not they properly
    implemented protective circuitry.

    I'd stay away from eBay, and in the U.S. buy from sterlingtek.com.
    SMS, Sep 4, 2009
    #15
  16. On Wed, 2 Sep 2009, Geoff Berrow wrote:

    > On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 11:43:36 +0100, sally <> wrote:
    >
    >> Are these good value or are they just cheap batteries that have much less
    >> capacity than the original?

    >
    >
    > Fercryinoutloud, for a fiver, it's practically disposable.
    >
    > We use a cheap replacement in our Canon Ixus and can't tell any
    > difference from the original.
    >


    I use cheap bateries in my Nikon D80 and Fuji F31. I haven't noticed a
    difference from the originals.

    Another vote for 7 days shop
    http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_3&products_id=74424
    The £4.49 includes postage.

    Another supplier I have used is Battery Logic
    http://www.batterylogic.co.uk/digital/casio-np-20-replacement-battery.htm
    But more expensive at £11.99 post free.


    --
    Alan

    ( If replying by mail, please note that all "sardines" are canned.
    However, unless this a very old message, a "tuna" will swim right
    through. )
    Alan Clifford, Sep 6, 2009
    #16
  17. SMS <> wrote:

    > You have to watch out for old stock, especially for batteries that
    > aren't all that popular. Last week I received a "genuine" Motorola
    > battery for my phone, that was manufactured in 2006. A three year old
    > Li-Ion battery is about at end of life.


    That would depend a lot on storage conditions, too.

    But even under bad storage conditions (room temperature, fully
    charged) my LiIons seem to hold up very well for being bought 4
    to 5 years ago. Maybe I am lucky when it comes to that.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Sep 7, 2009
    #17
  18. Wolfgang Weisselberg <> wrote:
    > SMS <> wrote:


    >> You have to watch out for old stock, especially for batteries that
    >> aren't all that popular. Last week I received a "genuine" Motorola
    >> battery for my phone, that was manufactured in 2006. A three year old
    >> Li-Ion battery is about at end of life.


    > That would depend a lot on storage conditions, too.


    > But even under bad storage conditions (room temperature, fully
    > charged) my LiIons seem to hold up very well for being bought 4
    > to 5 years ago. Maybe I am lucky when it comes to that.


    I'm using a pair of six year old Li-ion in batteries quite happily. It's
    possible they're now only up to 50% of their original capacity, but I
    won't bother replacing them until they stop being up to lasting long
    enough for a long day's work.

    --
    Chris Malcolm
    Chris Malcolm, Sep 8, 2009
    #18
  19. On Sep 2, 6:43 pm, sally <> wrote:
    > I want to get a spare battery for my Casio compact camera.  Where can I
    > get a half-decent NP-20 battery at a reasonable price?
    >
    > For example, Play.com does an Inov8 replacement battery for £8.99 inc
    > delivery. 7dayshop sells a replacement battery for £4.49 delivered.
    >
    > Are these good value or are they just cheap batteries that have much less
    > capacity than the original?
    >
    > play.com NP-20:  http://preview.tinyurl.com/nxodn8
    >
    > 7dayshop.com NP-20:  http://preview.tinyurl.com/n8d753


    I bought a NP-20 battery in disount-battery doc org store. It is very
    good.
    angelina Smith, Sep 9, 2009
    #19
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Conor

    Re: replacment for OE

    Conor, Aug 25, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    396
    Conor
    Aug 25, 2003
  2. Gordon Burgess-Parker

    Re: replacment for OE

    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Aug 25, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    414
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Aug 25, 2003
  3. Ty

    Intel Pro Set software replacment?

    Ty, Jan 17, 2007, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    494
  4. Canon EOS 1000 replacment

    , Apr 9, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    355
    Bill Funk
    Apr 9, 2006
  5. Howard Huntley
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    381
    the_Muttster
    Apr 25, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page