Good Photos / Super-Zoom Advice??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by NIALLBRUCE, Nov 13, 2004.

  1. NIALLBRUCE

    NIALLBRUCE Guest

    My first digital camera was a Kodak DC260. It's a great camera but it was only
    1.5MP so I upgraded to a Canon s40 2 years ago. Again, it's a great camera but
    fails in 2 areas:
    1. The photos are often out of focus.
    2. It only has a 3X zoom

    I've done a lot of reading on digital cameras over the years but have never
    really understood the SLR league.
    a) Am I right in thinking that SLR cameras have better software / faster
    autofocus technology so that the images are less likely to be blurry? I have
    had some very disappointing results from my current Canon. In particular, when
    shooting indoors, the camera has to use a low shutter speed. Does the larger
    lens on SLR cameras alleviate this problem (by letting in more light)?

    b) I regularly read www.steves-digicams.com website. Over the years, I've
    noticed a few cameras (not SLRs) which claim to have over 10X zoom lenses.
    These sound great until I read the technical specifications. The exposure times
    are often poor and they don't seem to offer the picture quality found using
    SLRs. Are they really inferior? If so, is it possible to get an SLR with such a
    great zoom. I don't really know where to look for SLR lenses but my research
    indicates that such a lens would cost almost as much as the camera. Is this
    correct?

    What should I do? I'm looking to buy a new camera in the next couple of months.
    I'm very tempted by the latest SLR offerings (esp. by Pentax) but will probably
    wait for the next generation of cameras next year.
    Should I look for an SLR or a "super-zoom"?? I don't think that I'll need to
    swap lenses (don't have any to swap at the moment!!) and probably won't take
    photography to that level within the near future.

    I've been trying to find this 'perfect' camera for several years now. I'd
    therefore be extremely grateful for all comments and advice!!

    Thanks in advance!!
    Niall Bruce

    NIALLBRUCE, Nov 13, 2004

  2. NIALLBRUCE

    Aerticus Guest

    Hiya

    If you want a technically accurate in every detail shot - maybe it helps to
    focus in on studio quality cameras.

    For me - I need something versatile with reasonable tolerance levels that
    will capture moments no matter how badly.

    It is content & aesthetics I am after rather than technically acurate
    renditions of reality

    Aerticus

    Aerticus, Nov 13, 2004

  3. NIALLBRUCE

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Niall,

    Sorry to hear you are having trouble with blurry pictures. It may well be
    possible that the blurry pictures are due to picture taking technique and
    the features and settings of the camera. In different modes and or settings
    depth of field may change or focus features may change (you are too close or
    far). As a test, review the settings on your camera and understand what
    each setting can do and then use accordingly.

    To test for sharpness and correct focus, etc., check the settings on the
    camera to be sure you are using according to the features. Set the camera
    on a solid support, and use the timer feature. Is the subject you want to
    photograph clear and sharp. If not, be sure the lens is free of dirt or
    finger grease etc. with a clear lens and the camera still on the support,
    try again. Stand in the frame while inside the flash range and see if you
    can get a good picture that way.

    If this does not help, check the camera to see if you reset it to its
    default settings, as if it were just being used the first time. Sometimes,
    depending on model, the settings you use in one situation may continue to be
    in effect in another. Try again and see if the images are improved.

    If this does not help, it may be that the camera needs a review to be sure
    things are in correct working order. At the same time, you may also want to
    review your picture taking techniques. I can share some with you if you
    like. I will be more than happy to review some of your images if you want
    to send as well.

    Talk to you soon, Niall,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company