    2003 AD.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Dec 8, 2009

  2. thingy

    Carnations Guest

    On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 23:10:06 -0800, thingy wrote:

    > Is there such a thing?
    >
    > I have some old 2000 books but want to study up a bit on the newer 2003
    > AD.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Would reading the documentation on Samba 4 be of any assistance? When released it's supposed to
    be a drop-in replacement for Microsoft's Active Directory.

    Carnations, Dec 8, 2009

  3. thingy

    Enkidu Guest

    Carnations wrote:
    > On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 23:10:06 -0800, thingy wrote:
    >
    >> Is there such a thing?
    >>
    >> I have some old 2000 books but want to study up a bit on the newer
    >> 2003 AD.
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    > Would reading the documentation on Samba 4 be of any assistance? When
    > released it's supposed to be a drop-in replacement for Microsoft's
    > Active Directory.

    That's hilarious! What the 'real world' situation is (as opposed to the
    weird twisted Lennier view of the situation) is described in this quote
    - "In short, you can join a WinNT, Win2000, WinXP or Win2003 member
    server to a Samba4 domain, and it will behave much as it does in AD,
    including Kerberos domain logins where applicable".

    http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4

    The aim of the Samba 4 project is not to "provide a drop-in replacement
    for Active Directory". It is "to implement an Active Directory
    compatible Domain Controller".

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Dec 8, 2009
  4. thingy

    AD. Guest

    On Dec 8, 9:06 pm, Carnations <> wrote:
    > Would reading the documentation on Samba 4 be of any assistance? When released it's supposed to
    > be a drop-in replacement for Microsoft's Active Directory.

    Hehe - Would you also recommend studying MS Office by reading the Open
    Office docs?

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Dec 8, 2009
  5. thingy

    AD. Guest

    On Dec 8, 8:10 pm, thingy <> wrote:
    > Is there such a thing?
    >
    > I have some old 2000 books but want to study up a bit on the newer
    > 2003 AD.

    How in-depth do you want?

    From somewhat hazy memory, superficially there wasn't a huge
    difference. The UIs didn't change a whole lot, although they added
    better group policy inspection stuff.

    The differences were mainly around making things smoother and more
    flexible by removing some limitations 2000 had - eg around renaming
    and moving previously fixed things like domains.

    If you are after *nix interoperability stuff, 2003 R2 bundled the NIS
    LDAP schema extensions, so you didn't have to download SFU any more.
    And the schema changed to be RFC2307 compliant rather than the non
    standard SFU one.

    But no, I don't know of any good online books sorry :)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Dec 8, 2009
  6. thingy

    Squiggle Guest

    thingy threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    > Is there such a thing?
    >
    > I have some old 2000 books but want to study up a bit on the newer
    > 2003 AD.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Anything wrong with starting at "Core Concepts of Active Directory
    Domain Services"
    @ <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa772157(VS.85).aspx> ?

    Squiggle, Dec 8, 2009
  7. thingy

    Carnations Guest

    On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 02:43:50 -0800, AD. wrote:

    > On Dec 8, 9:06 pm, Carnations <> wrote:
    >> Would reading the documentation on Samba 4 be of any assistance? When
    >> released it's supposed to be a drop-in replacement for Microsoft's
    >> Active Directory.

    > Hehe - Would you also recommend studying MS Office by reading the Open
    > Office docs?

    No.

    I was only thinking about the conceptual stuff should should be completely identical as both are
    implementing the identical protocols.

    Carnations, Dec 8, 2009
  8. thingy

    Carnations Guest

    On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 23:00:31 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    > The aim of the Samba 4 project is not to "provide a drop-in replacement
    > for Active Directory". It is "to implement an Active Directory
    > compatible Domain Controller".

    Yes - exactly so - active-directory compatible. That means a DC doing the identical stuff - performing
    identically.

    Carnations, Dec 8, 2009
  9. thingy

    Enkidu Guest

    Carnations wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 23:00:31 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> The aim of the Samba 4 project is not to "provide a drop-in
    >> replacement for Active Directory". It is "to implement an Active
    >> Directory compatible Domain Controller".

    > Yes - exactly so - active-directory compatible. That means a DC doing
    > the identical stuff - performing identically.

    I'm not going to get drawn into a long-running Lennier scrambled ramble.
    Suffice it to say you are wrong (as always). Implementing an AD
    compatible DC is a long way from providing a full AD replacement
    capability.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Dec 8, 2009
  10. thingy

    AD. Guest

    On Dec 9, 1:08 am, Carnations <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 02:43:50 -0800, AD. wrote:
    > > Hehe - Would you also recommend studying MS Office by reading the Open
    > > Office docs?

    > No.
    >
    > I was only thinking about the conceptual stuff should should be completely identical as both are
    > implementing the identical protocols.

    Hahaha - nice one!

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Dec 8, 2009
  11. In message <d20f1986-
    >, thingy wrote:

    > Is there such a thing?
    >
    > I have some old 2000 books but want to study up a bit on the newer
    > 2003 AD.

    So Marvel have a sequel to their “2000 AD†comics, then?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 8, 2009
  12. thingy

    John Little Guest

    > > I have some old 2000 books but want to study up a bit on the newer
    > > 2003 AD.

    > So Marvel have a sequel to their “2000 AD” comics, then?

    Wash your mouth out, the galaxy's greatest comic does not come from
    Marvel. I'd watch out for Rigellian hotshots.

    John Little, Dec 9, 2009
  13. thingy

    thingy Guest

    On Dec 9, 11:56 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <d20f1986-
    >
    > >, thingy wrote:
    > > Is there such a thing?

    > > I have some old 2000 books but want to study up a bit on the newer
    > > 2003 AD.

    > So Marvel have a sequel to their “2000 AD” comics, then?

    2000AD isnt Marvel....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Dec 9, 2009
  14. thingy

    Carnations Guest

    On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 09:44:06 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    >> Yes - exactly so - active-directory compatible. That means a DC doing
    >> the identical stuff - performing identically.
    >>

    > I'm not going to get drawn into a long-running Lennier scrambled ramble.
    > Suffice it to say you are wrong (as always). Implementing an AD
    > compatible DC is a long way from providing a full AD replacement
    > capability.

    If you can get non-Microsoft domain controllers controlling an Active Directory domain in a manner that
    is fully compatible in all respects including trust relationships with Microsoft's own implementation of
    Active Directory how is that not providing a full AD replacement capability?

    I'm curious to know why you think that should not be the case given the stated aims of the Samba
    project:

    http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/FAQ

    Cheers

    Carnations, Dec 10, 2009
  15. thingy

    Biggles Guest

    On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 06:00:37 +0000, Carnations wrote:

    > On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 09:44:06 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
    >

    > I'm curious to know why you think that should not be the case given the
    > stated aims of the Samba project:
    >
    > http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/FAQ
    >

    > Cheers

    I feel sorry for you cliff ...

    BiggleZZZ

    Biggles, Dec 10, 2009
  16. thingy

    EMB Guest

    Carnations wrote:

    > I'm curious to know why you think that should not be the case given the stated aims of the Samba
    > project:

    An aim and the reality are normally two totally different things.

    EMB, Dec 10, 2009
  17. thingy

    Carnations Guest

    On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 22:27:12 +1300, EMB wrote:

    > Carnations wrote:
    >
    >> I'm curious to know why you think that should not be the case given the
    >> stated aims of the Samba project:

    > An aim and the reality are normally two totally different things.

    I would suggest that an aim, and the PRESENT reality may be two different things.

    It appears to me that the Samba project is actively working on Samba 4, and that they have a published
    list of very specific things they need to accomplish. That says to me that they fully know their roadmap
    and fully intend to achieve it.

    Also, they have access to all of Microsoft's documentation and access to the technical team within
    Microsoft that is maintaining AD (altho' they are doing clean-room development still).

    Carnations, Dec 10, 2009
  18. In message <82888087-83d5-453b-
    >, AD. wrote:

    > Hehe - Would you also recommend studying MS Office by reading the Open
    > Office docs?

    Yeah, why not? Stick to the features that work with both, and you can’t go
    wrong. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 12, 2009