    I think I'll wait until the 4th or 5th release when they finally share the
    complete package with fans.

    No wonder piracy is so popular :)
    Rob, Feb 21, 2005

  2. Rob

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message
    news:m5rSd.23902$...
    > Not satisfied with the gazillions of dollars they have already made by
    > selling overpriced tv dvd sets, Paramount has just announced they are
    > RE-RELEASING-releasing Season 1 of CSI with a few extra gimmicks. If
    > you
    > want these few extra gimmicks and have already purchased the
    > 'original' CSI
    > Season 1 set, you may as well toss the first one.

    No one is forcing you to buy the new set.
    Joshua Zyber, Feb 21, 2005

  3. On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:00:33 -0600, Rob <> scribbled:
    > Not satisfied with the gazillions of dollars they have already made by
    > selling overpriced tv dvd sets, Paramount has just announced they are
    > RE-RELEASING-releasing Season 1 of CSI with a few extra gimmicks. If you
    > want these few extra gimmicks and have already purchased the 'original' CSI
    > Season 1 set, you may as well toss the first one.

    If the gimmick is widescreen anamorphic transfers of the episodes,
    then I'm perfectly fine with that.

    VJM
    Vincent J. Murphy, Feb 21, 2005
  4. On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:00:33 -0600, "Rob" <>
    wrote:

    >Not satisfied with the gazillions of dollars they have already made by
    >selling overpriced tv dvd sets, Paramount has just announced they are
    >RE-RELEASING-releasing Season 1 of CSI with a few extra gimmicks. If you
    >want these few extra gimmicks and have already purchased the 'original' CSI
    >Season 1 set, you may as well toss the first one.
    >
    >I think I'll wait until the 4th or 5th release when they finally share the
    >complete package with fans.
    >
    >No wonder piracy is so popular :)

    Is there some law that has been passed that says you have to buy the
    damn thing? Or the first one? Compulsory consumerism?

    E. Barry Bruyea, Feb 21, 2005
  5. Rob

    Doonie Guest

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:50:52 -0600, Vincent J. Murphy wrote:

    >On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:00:33 -0600, Rob wrote
    >:
    >> Not satisfied with the gazillions of dollars they have already made by
    >> selling overpriced tv dvd sets, Paramount has just announced they are
    >> RE-RELEASING-releasing Season 1 of CSI with a few extra gimmicks. If you
    >> want these few extra gimmicks and have already purchased the 'original' CSI
    >> Season 1 set, you may as well toss the first one.

    > If the gimmick is widescreen anamorphic transfers of the episodes,
    >then I'm perfectly fine with that.

    This is exactly what I was thinking.
    Doonie, Feb 21, 2005
  6. Rob

    jayembee Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote:

    > Not satisfied with the gazillions of dollars they have already made by
    > selling overpriced tv dvd sets, Paramount has just announced they are
    > RE-RELEASING-releasing Season 1 of CSI with a few extra gimmicks. If you
    > want these few extra gimmicks and have already purchased the 'original' CSI
    > Season 1 set, you may as well toss the first one.

    If one of the "gimmicks" is presenting it in widescreen, then it'll be
    worth it.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Feb 21, 2005
  7. Rob

    Tarkus Guest

    On 2/21/2005 1:18:51 PM, E. Barry Bruyea wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:00:33 -0600, "Rob" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Not satisfied with the gazillions of dollars they have already made by
    >>selling overpriced tv dvd sets, Paramount has just announced they are
    >>RE-RELEASING-releasing Season 1 of CSI with a few extra gimmicks. If you
    >>want these few extra gimmicks and have already purchased the 'original' CSI
    >>Season 1 set, you may as well toss the first one.
    >>
    >>I think I'll wait until the 4th or 5th release when they finally share the
    >>complete package with fans.
    >>
    >>No wonder piracy is so popular :)

    > Is there some law that has been passed that says you have to buy the
    > damn thing? Or the first one? Compulsory consumerism?

    You obviously missed announcement of their new technology that
    automatically disables all old versions when they release a new version,
    forcing the consumer to upgrade.
    --
    "I'll never understand what possessed my mother to put her faith in
    God's hands, rather than her local geneticist."

    Now playing: "Steely Dan - Bad Sneakers"
    Tarkus, Feb 21, 2005
  8. Rob

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <m5rSd.23902$>,
    "Rob" <> wrote:

    > Not satisfied with the gazillions of dollars they have already made by
    > selling overpriced tv dvd sets, Paramount has just announced they are
    > RE-RELEASING-releasing Season 1 of CSI with a few extra gimmicks. If you
    > want these few extra gimmicks and have already purchased the 'original' CSI
    > Season 1 set, you may as well toss the first one.
    >
    > I think I'll wait until the 4th or 5th release when they finally share the
    > complete package with fans.
    >
    > No wonder piracy is so popular :)

    Considering the shoddy job they did on Charmed S1, a double dip on that
    one is almost inevitable as well.

    I've always been a bit miffed by how much Universal gets attacked around
    here while Paramount is relatively left alone. The way they milk
    Trekkies for all their worth is especially vile. Not only have they
    spent the last 3 years taking their sweet time double dipping on every
    Trek movie, but they also have the audacity to charge over a 100
    smackers for all of the Star Trek tv series' box sets.
    Black Locust, Feb 21, 2005
  9. Black Locust <> wrote in

    > Considering the shoddy job they did on Charmed S1, a double dip on
    > that one is almost inevitable as well.
    >
    > I've always been a bit miffed by how much Universal gets attacked
    > around here while Paramount is relatively left alone. The way they
    > milk Trekkies for all their worth is especially vile. Not only have
    > they spent the last 3 years taking their sweet time double dipping on
    > every Trek movie, but they also have the audacity to charge over a 100
    > smackers for all of the Star Trek tv series' box sets.

    I dunno... a whole season of a TV show for $30 or $40? I like a good
    deal as much as anyone, but for 12-30 hours of entertainment, plus extras,
    with no commercials, $100 isn't that unreasonable to me. I commend Fox
    and Sony for releasing such affordable sets, but I don't feel like it's
    something they owe me.

    I do agree on the movie double-dips, though. I'm really glad I didn't buy
    any of those the first time around. I sure was tempted.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com
    Aaron J. Bossig, Feb 22, 2005
  10. Vincent J. Murphy wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:00:33 -0600, Rob <> scribbled:
    >
    >>Not satisfied with the gazillions of dollars they have already made by
    >>selling overpriced tv dvd sets, Paramount has just announced they are
    >>RE-RELEASING-releasing Season 1 of CSI with a few extra gimmicks. If you
    >>want these few extra gimmicks and have already purchased the 'original' CSI
    >>Season 1 set, you may as well toss the first one.

    > If the gimmick is widescreen anamorphic transfers of the episodes,
    > then I'm perfectly fine with that.

    Most reports have it that Paramount thought S1 stuck out by *not* being
    WS like the other sets and wanted to bring it into line--
    Although the main "gimmick" impetus was to director's-cut the "missing"
    full version of the Pilot episode, while they were at it...

    Derek Janssen (who knows WHY Image did "one more version" of Twilight
    Zone, and is happy with his set, thanks)
    Derek Janssen, Feb 22, 2005
  11. Aaron J. Bossig wrote:

    >>I've always been a bit miffed by how much Universal gets attacked
    >>around here while Paramount is relatively left alone. The way they
    >>milk Trekkies for all their worth is especially vile. Not only have
    >>they spent the last 3 years taking their sweet time double dipping on
    >>every Trek movie, but they also have the audacity to charge over a 100
    >>smackers for all of the Star Trek tv series' box sets.

    Yes, they were so much more *cozy* on 40 little bare-bones 2-episode
    disks...
    [See below for explanation of sarcastic quip:]

    > I dunno... a whole season of a TV show for $30 or $40? I like a good
    > deal as much as anyone, but for 12-30 hours of entertainment, plus extras,
    > with no commercials, $100 isn't that unreasonable to me. I commend Fox
    > and Sony for releasing such affordable sets, but I don't feel like it's
    > something they owe me.
    >
    > I do agree on the movie double-dips, though. I'm really glad I didn't buy
    > any of those the first time around. I sure was tempted.

    Me, I look at it as the Disney Factor:
    Ie., it took 'em a couple tries to finally accept that this "DVD" thing
    the Young People were into was going to stay around after all, and they
    thought, well, they'd better quit bluffing...

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Feb 22, 2005
  12. Rob

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Black Locust () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > The way they milk
    > Trekkies for all their worth is especially vile. Not only have they
    > spent the last 3 years taking their sweet time double dipping on every
    > Trek movie, but they also have the audacity to charge over a 100
    > smackers for all of the Star Trek tv series' box sets.

    That's not the real problem. The real problem is that every single Trek
    series so far has been significantly reduced in price after the whole
    series has been released. The season sets of TOS are *far* cheaper than
    the 2-a-disc release

    Meanwhile every series (including TOS) has a "complete series" set with an
    MSRP (and street price) far below the sum of the individual seasons, even
    though the "complete series" costs more to produce (they add another box
    around the individual boxes of each season).

    --
    Jeff Rife | "Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But
    Jeff Rife, Feb 22, 2005
  13. Rob

    Konan Guest

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:00:33 -0600, Rob wrote:

    > Not satisfied with the gazillions of dollars they have already made by
    > selling overpriced tv dvd sets, Paramount has just announced they are
    > RE-RELEASING-releasing Season 1 of CSI with a few extra gimmicks. If you
    > want these few extra gimmicks and have already purchased the 'original'
    > CSI Season 1 set, you may as well toss the first one.
    >
    > I think I'll wait until the 4th or 5th release when they finally share the
    > complete package with fans.
    >
    > No wonder piracy is so popular :)

    What has price got to do with DVDs?

    Konan
    Konan, Feb 22, 2005
  14. Rob

    d a v e Guest

    "Doonie" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:50:52 -0600, Vincent J. Murphy wrote:
    >
    > >On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:00:33 -0600, Rob wrote
    > >:
    > >> Not satisfied with the gazillions of dollars they have already made by
    > >> selling overpriced tv dvd sets, Paramount has just announced they are
    > >> RE-RELEASING-releasing Season 1 of CSI with a few extra gimmicks. If

    you
    > >> want these few extra gimmicks and have already purchased the 'original'

    CSI
    > >> Season 1 set, you may as well toss the first one.

    > > If the gimmick is widescreen anamorphic transfers of the episodes,
    > >then I'm perfectly fine with that.

    > This is exactly what I was thinking.

    wasn't season 1 shot in the 4:3 aspect ratio?
    if so, then your widescreen version will not be in the OAR.

    it would be nice if they could get this version to actually have the
    episode's in order...
    d a v e, Feb 23, 2005
  15. Rob

    Stan Brown Guest

    Stan Brown, Feb 23, 2005
  16. Rob

    jayembee Guest

    "d a v e" <> wrote:

    > wasn't season 1 shot in the 4:3 aspect ratio?

    No, it wasn't.

    > if so, then your widescreen version will not be in the OAR.

    It will be if they release it in widescreen.

    > it would be nice if they could get this version to actually have the
    > episode's in order...

    Depends on what you think the order should be. It's not that easy.
    You can have (1) production order, (2) broadcast order, and (3) the
    creators' intended viewing order. There are some instances in which
    none of those three are the same as any other.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Feb 23, 2005
  17. Rob wrote:
    > Not satisfied with the gazillions of dollars they have already made by
    > selling overpriced tv dvd sets, Paramount has just announced they are
    > RE-RELEASING-releasing Season 1 of CSI with a few extra gimmicks. If
    > you want these few extra gimmicks and have already purchased the
    > 'original' CSI Season 1 set, you may as well toss the first one.

    Where did you hear this? I've yet to see it announced on Digital Bits,
    DVDFile, or any of the other major DVD sites.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little
    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Feb 24, 2005
  18. Rob

    Doonie Guest

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:37:43 -0700, d a v e wrote:

    >Doonie wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:50:52 -0600, Vincent J. Murphy wrote:
    >>
    >> >On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:00:33 -0600, Rob wrote
    >> >:
    >> >
    >> > If the gimmick is widescreen anamorphic transfers of the episodes,
    >> >then I'm perfectly fine with that.

    >> This is exactly what I was thinking.

    >wasn't season 1 shot in the 4:3 aspect ratio?
    >if so, then your widescreen version will not be in the OAR.

    Quotes from a couple of the many reviews freely available on the
    'Net -

    From dvdfile:

    "Alas, in their infinite (lack of) wisdom, CBS has elected to
    release CSI in 4:3 full screen only on DVD, i.e., it isn't Paramount's
    fault that this isn't in widescreen. The show is broadcast weekly on
    CBS in gorgeous 1.78:1 HD, and is probably the best-looking series
    ever to grace a television screen. It's that good. Unfortunately, this
    DVD set doesn't do it justice."

    From MovieMania:

    "Most unfortunately, the episodes on this 6-disc DVD set are not in
    anarmorphic widescreen, in which the show was shot. Yes, you guessed
    it. The episodes are presented in 4:3 fullscreen. The show is
    broadcast weekly in high-def and all you get on this DVD set is a
    fullscreen transfer. What a waste of one of the best-looking series
    ever to grace the television."
    Doonie, Feb 24, 2005
  19. Brian The Demolition Man Little wrote:

    > Rob wrote:
    >
    >>Not satisfied with the gazillions of dollars they have already made by
    >>selling overpriced tv dvd sets, Paramount has just announced they are
    >>RE-RELEASING-releasing Season 1 of CSI with a few extra gimmicks. If
    >>you want these few extra gimmicks and have already purchased the
    >>'original' CSI Season 1 set, you may as well toss the first one.

    > Where did you hear this? I've yet to see it announced on Digital Bits,
    > DVDFile, or any of the other major DVD sites.

    He read a *little* of it on TVShowsonDVD.com (if it's off the front
    page, click News Stories by Series), but not enough of it to put it into
    perspective.

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Feb 24, 2005
  20. Derek Janssen wrote:
    > He read a *little* of it on TVShowsonDVD.com (if it's off the front
    > page, click News Stories by Series), but not enough of it to put it
    > into perspective.

    Thanks Derek, sounds like right now at best its just speculation of
    "what could be" on this release. I'm not a fan of "CSI" but even I
    was shocked when I saw season 1 getting a 4:3 P&S treatment
    fully knowing that its a 16:9 Widescreen show.

    Hopefully if anything that will be fixed on this rumored release.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little
    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Feb 24, 2005