    Is there a good multi-region DVD player for sale anywhere?
    Google/froogle doesn't seem to pull up anything....

    TIA!
    NYC XYZ, Jan 28, 2005

  2. NYC XYZ

    Jim Hollis Guest

    Both Radio Shack and Best Buy have been selling Cyberhome CH-300

    Jim Hollis, Jan 28, 2005

  3. NYC XYZ

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <>,
    NYC XYZ <> wrote:
    >Hello, All:
    >
    >Is there a good multi-region DVD player for sale anywhere?
    >Google/froogle doesn't seem to pull up anything....

    Philips 642 at Wal-Mart, $70.

    Not "good" but better than the low-end stuff from Cyberhome, etc.
    Mike S., Jan 28, 2005
  4. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Interestingly, one fella on amazon.com thought that, with PAL discs at
    least, the Cyberhome offered better video quality!

    Thanks for the ref, though...but apparently the Philips 642 doesn't do
    DTS...is there a multi-region player which does DTS? And via laser
    TOSlink, too, preferrably.

    Thanks!
    NYC XYZ, Jan 28, 2005
  5. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Thanks for the ref! Unfortunately, amazon.com user reviews note the
    short life expectancy for this machine.

    Is there a multi-region player which does laser TOSlink DTS, too?

    No one seems very interested in multi-region players anymore...I seem
    to recall it being a perennial favorite topic on AVD years ago.... =)
    NYC XYZ, Jan 28, 2005
  6. NYC XYZ

    aicyL Guest

    "NYC XYZ" <> wrote in message

    > Thanks for the ref! Unfortunately, amazon.com user reviews note the
    > short life expectancy for this machine.
    >
    > Is there a multi-region player which does laser TOSlink DTS, too?
    >
    > No one seems very interested in multi-region players anymore...I seem
    > to recall it being a perennial favorite topic on AVD years ago.... =)

    If anamorphic PAL isn't a concern to you I have a region-free Panasonic
    RP-82 for sale.

    If yes, then I'd recommend either the Momitsu DVD-V880DX:

    https://www2.setssl.com/~hivizone/dvdplayer/v880/v880dx.htm

    And the Oppo OPDV-971H:

    http://www.extremephono.com/Oppo_DV971.htm

    Fine print for the Oppo:
    Please note: Unlike Momitsu V880N, OPDV-971H does not support DVI-I, i.e.
    cannot use any DVI to VGA adapter, it does not support 480P, 720P or 1080i
    via the component connection.
    aicyL, Jan 28, 2005
  7. NYC XYZ

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <>,
    NYC XYZ <> wrote:

    >Interestingly, one fella on amazon.com thought that, with PAL discs at
    >least, the Cyberhome offered better video quality!
    >
    >Thanks for the ref, though...but apparently the Philips 642 doesn't do
    >DTS...is there a multi-region player which does DTS? And via laser
    >TOSlink, too, preferrably.

    Buy a modified Pioneer DV578A. Does PAL/NTSC (including proper anamorphic
    conversion), DTS, SACD, DVD-A, and has TOSLink output.
    Mike S., Jan 28, 2005
  8. NYC XYZ

    Tama Mativa Guest

    you keep changing the specs your looking for

    Tama Mativa, Jan 28, 2005
  9. NYC XYZ

    DVDfanatico Guest

    I own the Cyberhome CH-DVD320 and it works well with PAL or NTSC DVD's. It's
    inexpensive too. I owned the 300 and returned it because it had some problems
    with the menu of a German PAL disc. I think the 320 is the better model.

    DVDfanatico
    www.KnightLanguages.com
    The Foreign Language Supersite

    DVDfanatico, Jan 29, 2005
  10. NYC XYZ

    Joe Blow Guest

    Mike S. wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > NYC XYZ <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hello, All:
    >>
    >>Is there a good multi-region DVD player for sale anywhere?
    >>Google/froogle doesn't seem to pull up anything....

    > Philips 642 at Wal-Mart, $70.
    >

    > Not "good" but better than the low-end stuff from Cyberhome, etc.

    Mike -- I have considered buying this Philips player. It seemed
    to get decent reviews on Amazon. For the price range, at least,
    what's your beef with it?

    JB
    Joe Blow, Jan 29, 2005
  11. On 28 Jan 2005 13:04:13 -0800, "NYC XYZ" <>
    wrote:

    >Interestingly, one fella on amazon.com thought that, with PAL discs at
    >least, the Cyberhome offered better video quality!
    >
    >Thanks for the ref, though...but apparently the Philips 642 doesn't do
    >DTS...is there a multi-region player which does DTS? And via laser
    >TOSlink, too, preferrably.
    >

    >Thanks!

    I would suggest that you purchase a properly modified quality player
    such as the JVC-XV-N510. I have had no problems of any sort, after two
    years, with my model purchased from Zone Free DVD. Recommended.

    http://www.zonefreedvd.com/codefreedvd/xvn510b.html

    Charles
    nzvideos.org
    Charles Eggen, Jan 29, 2005
  12. NYC XYZ

    Marv Soloff Guest

    Check the Philips line of players.

    Regards,

    Marv

    Marv Soloff, Jan 29, 2005
  13. In article <>,
    NYC XYZ <> wrote:
    >Hello, All:
    >
    >Is there a good multi-region DVD player for sale anywhere?
    >Google/froogle doesn't seem to pull up anything....

    I got a Philips 642 at K-Mart a couple of months ago and it
    transcodes my Pal Region 4 disks better than my old Philips 724

    You just have to set it multi-region from the remote as shown on
    one of the hack sites.

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion, Jan 30, 2005
  14. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Thanks for the refs! But oooh, so pricey! Shipping alone is US$65.50
    for the Skyworth! Of course, it's overseas, and 3-day insured, but
    still....

    I just might have to do it, though. Thanks again!
    NYC XYZ, Jan 31, 2005
  15. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Sorry, not meaning to...just remembering things late! =)

    I guess my specs really are just 1) region-free, 2) optical audio, 3)
    S-Video, 4) ~$100-200, 5) reliability (3-yr. life at least). I don't
    need no pro-scan, .mp3, etc.

    Thanks again!
    NYC XYZ, Jan 31, 2005
  16. NYC XYZ

    Justin Guest

    What about a good multi disc multi region player? Are there any out
    there that are worth it?
    Justin, Jan 31, 2005
  17. NYC XYZ

    Biz Guest

    If you need 3 years out of it, wouldnt you be just as well off buying 3 or 4
    of the cheap $50 Cyberhome machines(still meets your $200 budget)

    Biz, Jan 31, 2005
  18. NYC XYZ

    Rick Guest

    How come nobody mentioned Daewoo? I got my Daewoo progress scan DVD player
    from Costco and used the remote control to change it to Multi-Region.

    Rick, Jan 31, 2005
  19. NYC XYZ

    kaboom Guest

    On 28 Jan 2005 09:52:00 -0800, "NYC XYZ" <>
    wrote:

    >Hello, All:
    >
    >Is there a good multi-region DVD player for sale anywhere?
    >Google/froogle doesn't seem to pull up anything....

    **There's also the Magnavox MDV458. I got it for $40 (onsale) at
    Circuit City. It did a gorgeous job of converting some Swedish
    all-zone music DVDs that I borrowed from a friend. Looked and sounded
    great. However, I have not tested a disc that was coded R2 though I
    did use the remote to change the region to 0. You can check out the
    World Gift Center. They have all sorts of DVD/VHS all-region players
    and PAL to NTSC converters there.

    http://www.220giftcenter.com/

    I don't know if this URL will work but hometheaterhifi has awesome
    Benchmark tests of different DVD players that you might be interested
    in.

    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=119

    kaboomie
    kaboom, Jan 31, 2005
  20. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    LOL -- actually, I'm afraid I've just never had a DVD player last 3
    perfect yrs. on me yet! Always some issue or other...Zenith, JVC,
    Panny -- 'cept my Hyundai ("yes, Hyundai" [!]), which was fine but got
    stolen. =(

    So now that I'm in the market for a player again, I figured why not
    region-free and all.

    BTW, I guess I don't need DTS support from the player after all...seems
    like my audio receiver has built-in DTS decoding....
    NYC XYZ, Feb 1, 2005