    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, May 13, 2005

  2. MarkH

    CSE Guest

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 01:06:37 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:

    >I have just bought a very good LCD screen - The Philips 190B6.
    >
    >This LCD offers 8ms response time and a perfect panel guarantee that states
    >that Philips will repair or replace any panel that has even a single bright
    >or dark dot defect.
    >
    >I chose Philips primarily due to this guarantee, I hate buying a new toy
    >and being told to accept a fault.
    >
    >I have just set the LCD up and WOW! Now I want to replace my other monitor
    >with an LCD.

    And how many colours does it do, ? as its not a true 16mil, all the Fast LCD's
    have the same problem 262k colours only

    The do pixel switching/dithering to simulate the 16m colours

    CSE, May 13, 2005

  3. MarkH

    Jedmeister Guest

    "MarkH" <> wrote in message
    >I have just bought a very good LCD screen - The Philips 190B6.
    >
    > This LCD offers 8ms response time and a perfect panel guarantee that
    > states
    > that Philips will repair or replace any panel that has even a single
    > bright
    > or dark dot defect.
    >
    > I chose Philips primarily due to this guarantee, I hate buying a new toy
    > and being told to accept a fault.
    >
    > I have just set the LCD up and WOW! Now I want to replace my other
    > monitor
    > with an LCD.
    >

    > --
    > Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    > See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 3-May-05)
    > "There are 10 types of people, those that
    > understand binary and those that don't"

    I checked there are no reviews on the web for this monitor - maybe this is
    an NZ model number.

    Jedmeister, May 13, 2005
  4. MarkH

    CSE Guest

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 18:39:09 +1200, "Jedmeister" <>
    wrote:

    >"MarkH" <> wrote in message
    >>I have just bought a very good LCD screen - The Philips 190B6.
    >>
    >> This LCD offers 8ms response time and a perfect panel guarantee that
    >> states
    >> that Philips will repair or replace any panel that has even a single
    >> bright
    >> or dark dot defect.
    >>
    >> I chose Philips primarily due to this guarantee, I hate buying a new toy
    >> and being told to accept a fault.
    >>
    >> I have just set the LCD up and WOW! Now I want to replace my other
    >> monitor
    >> with an LCD.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    >> See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 3-May-05)
    >> "There are 10 types of people, those that
    >> understand binary and those that don't"
    >>

    >I checked there are no reviews on the web for this monitor - maybe this is
    >an NZ model number.

    All fast pixel switching monitors seem Not to have True 16 Mil Colours, if its
    sates 16.2 then it does not, it should state 16.7

    They use a system called Dithering..

    Tomshardware has some info on this..

    These models can some times suffer from a bad Colour range

    How to Tell if an LCD is 8-Bit or 6-Bit

    http://compreviews.about.com/od/multimedia/a/LCDColor.htm

    ""This is the biggest problem for individuals who are looking at purchasing an
    LCD monitor. Most manufacturers do not list the color depth of their display.
    Even fewer will list the actual per-color depth. If the manufacturer lists the
    color as 16.7 million colors, it should be assumed that the display is 8-bit
    per-color. If the colors are listed as being 16.2 million or 16 million,
    consumers should assume that it uses a 6-bit per-color depth. If no color
    depths is listed, it should be assumed that monitors of 12ms or faster will be
    6-bit and the 20ms and slower panels are 8-bit. "

    CSE, May 13, 2005
  5. MarkH

    Andrew Guest

    CSE wrote:
    > On Fri, 13 May 2005 18:39:09 +1200, "Jedmeister" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"MarkH" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I have just bought a very good LCD screen - The Philips 190B6.
    >>>
    >>>This LCD offers 8ms response time and a perfect panel guarantee that
    >>>states
    >>>that Philips will repair or replace any panel that has even a single
    >>>bright
    >>>or dark dot defect.
    >>>
    >>>I chose Philips primarily due to this guarantee, I hate buying a new toy
    >>>and being told to accept a fault.
    >>>
    >>>I have just set the LCD up and WOW! Now I want to replace my other
    >>>monitor
    >>>with an LCD.
    >>>

    >>>--
    >>>Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    >>>See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 3-May-05)
    >>>"There are 10 types of people, those that
    >>>understand binary and those that don't"
    >>>

    >>I checked there are no reviews on the web for this monitor - maybe this is
    >>an NZ model number.
    >>

    > All fast pixel switching monitors seem Not to have True 16 Mil Colours, if its
    > sates 16.2 then it does not, it should state 16.7
    >

    > They use a system called Dithering..
    >
    > Tomshardware has some info on this..
    >
    > These models can some times suffer from a bad Colour range
    >
    > How to Tell if an LCD is 8-Bit or 6-Bit
    >
    > http://compreviews.about.com/od/multimedia/a/LCDColor.htm
    >
    > ""This is the biggest problem for individuals who are looking at purchasing an
    > LCD monitor. Most manufacturers do not list the color depth of their display.
    > Even fewer will list the actual per-color depth. If the manufacturer lists the
    > color as 16.7 million colors, it should be assumed that the display is 8-bit
    > per-color. If the colors are listed as being 16.2 million or 16 million,
    > consumers should assume that it uses a 6-bit per-color depth. If no color
    > depths is listed, it should be assumed that monitors of 12ms or faster will be
    > 6-bit and the 20ms and slower panels are 8-bit. "

    From that page:

    Does it Really Matter?

    This is very subjective to the actual user and what the computer is used
    for. The amount of color really matters to those that do professional
    work on graphics. For these people, the amount of color that is
    displayed on the screen is very important. The average consumer is not
    going to really need this level of color representation by their
    monitor. As a result, it probably doesn't matter. People using their
    displays for video games or watching video will likely not care about
    the number of colors rendered by the LCD but by the speed at which it
    can be displayed. As a result, it is best to determine your needs and
    base your purchase on those criteria.

    So... Mark, are you using it for professional graphics work? or are you
    an average consumer

    Andrew, May 13, 2005
  6. MarkH

    Chris Hope Guest

    MarkH wrote:

    > I have just bought a very good LCD screen - The Philips 190B6.
    >
    > This LCD offers 8ms response time and a perfect panel guarantee that
    > states that Philips will repair or replace any panel that has even a
    > single bright or dark dot defect.
    >
    > I chose Philips primarily due to this guarantee, I hate buying a new
    > toy and being told to accept a fault.
    >
    > I have just set the LCD up and WOW! Now I want to replace my other
    > monitor with an LCD.

    Couple of questions for you:

    1) Have you used it to watch video? Any good?

    2) Have you used it to play games? Any good?

    Chris Hope, May 13, 2005
  7. MarkH

    CSE Guest

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 19:18:37 +1200, Andrew <> wrote:

    >CSE wrote:
    >> On Fri, 13 May 2005 18:39:09 +1200, "Jedmeister" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"MarkH" <> wrote in message

    >>>I checked there are no reviews on the web for this monitor - maybe this is
    >>>an NZ model number.
    >>>

    >> All fast pixel switching monitors seem Not to have True 16 Mil Colours, if its
    >> sates 16.2 then it does not, it should state 16.7
    >>

    >> They use a system called Dithering..
    >>
    >> Tomshardware has some info on this..
    >>
    >> These models can some times suffer from a bad Colour range
    >>
    >> How to Tell if an LCD is 8-Bit or 6-Bit
    >>
    >> http://compreviews.about.com/od/multimedia/a/LCDColor.htm
    >>
    >> ""This is the biggest problem for individuals who are looking at purchasing an
    >> LCD monitor. Most manufacturers do not list the color depth of their display.
    >> Even fewer will list the actual per-color depth. If the manufacturer lists the
    >> color as 16.7 million colors, it should be assumed that the display is 8-bit
    >> per-color. If the colors are listed as being 16.2 million or 16 million,
    >> consumers should assume that it uses a 6-bit per-color depth. If no color
    >> depths is listed, it should be assumed that monitors of 12ms or faster will be
    >> 6-bit and the 20ms and slower panels are 8-bit. "
    >>

    > From that page:
    >
    >Does it Really Matter?

    Yes its be because its a Con..

    CSE, May 13, 2005
  8. MarkH

    MarkH Guest

    Chris Hope <> wrote in news:d61koa$k9f$1
    @lust.ihug.co.nz:

    > MarkH wrote:
    >
    >> I have just bought a very good LCD screen - The Philips 190B6.
    >>
    >> This LCD offers 8ms response time and a perfect panel guarantee that
    >> states that Philips will repair or replace any panel that has even a
    >> single bright or dark dot defect.
    >>
    >> I chose Philips primarily due to this guarantee, I hate buying a new
    >> toy and being told to accept a fault.
    >>
    >> I have just set the LCD up and WOW! Now I want to replace my other
    >> monitor with an LCD.

    > Couple of questions for you:
    >
    > 1) Have you used it to watch video? Any good?

    Yes and Yes.

    > 2) Have you used it to play games? Any good?

    Yes and yes.

    MarkH, May 13, 2005
  9. MarkH

    MarkH Guest

    Andrew <> wrote in

    > CSE wrote:
    >> On Fri, 13 May 2005 18:39:09 +1200, "Jedmeister"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> http://compreviews.about.com/od/multimedia/a/LCDColor.htm
    >>

    > From that page:
    >
    > Does it Really Matter?
    >
    > This is very subjective to the actual user and what the computer is
    > used for. The amount of color really matters to those that do
    > professional work on graphics. For these people, the amount of color
    > that is displayed on the screen is very important. The average
    > consumer is not going to really need this level of color
    > representation by their monitor. As a result, it probably doesn't
    > matter. People using their displays for video games or watching video
    > will likely not care about the number of colors rendered by the LCD
    > but by the speed at which it can be displayed. As a result, it is best
    > to determine your needs and base your purchase on those criteria.
    >
    > So... Mark, are you using it for professional graphics work? or are
    > you an average consumer

    I do some graphics work, but I still have my 19" CRT for that. It'll
    probably be a couple of years before I replace my Hitachi CM771 19" CRT, it
    still works very well.

    MarkH, May 13, 2005
  10. On Fri, 13 May 2005 01:06:37 GMT, MarkH wrote:

    > I have just bought a very good LCD screen - The Philips 190B6.
    >
    > This LCD offers 8ms response time and a perfect panel guarantee that states
    > that Philips will repair or replace any panel that has even a single bright
    > or dark dot defect.
    >
    > I chose Philips primarily due to this guarantee, I hate buying a new toy
    > and being told to accept a fault.
    >
    > I have just set the LCD up and WOW! Now I want to replace my other monitor
    > with an LCD.

    Yeah LCDs have come of age now. I'm not too sure about the colour space
    that LCDs offer (the reds look odd on my Benq) but sharp text makes up for
    it. No problems with games if it is 8ms.

    The Benq offered a week for you to return it if you notice any faults with
    pixels at all, with the traditional "a few bad ones allowed" after that.

    wogers nemesis, May 13, 2005
  11. MarkH

    MarkH Guest

    CSE <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 13 May 2005 19:18:37 +1200, Andrew
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> From that page:
    >>
    >>Does it Really Matter?

    >>This is very subjective to the actual user and what the computer is
    >>used for. The amount of color really matters to those that do
    >>professional work on graphics. For these people, the amount of color
    >>that is displayed on the screen is very important. The average
    >>consumer is not going to really need this level of color
    >>representation by their monitor. As a result, it probably doesn't
    >>matter. People using their displays for video games or watching video
    >>will likely not care about the number of colors rendered by the LCD
    >>but by the speed at which it can be displayed. As a result, it is best
    >>to determine your needs and base your purchase on those criteria.

    > Yes its be because its a Con..

    Roger, that quote that Andrew provided is from the website you quoted. If
    you disagree with what that webpage says then why did you quote them and
    provide the link?

    You seem to be unable to understand all of a website, you only understand
    the parts that you want to.

    As the specs for my new monitor state 16.2M colours, it is quite likely
    that there is dithering involved. But the monitor suits the purposes that
    I bought it for.

    MarkH, May 13, 2005
  12. MarkH

    lee Guest

    BenQ FP937S+
    8ms Response Time
    16.7 Million colours
    http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsI.php?pp_id=FP00009

    is this a goody then?

    lee, May 13, 2005
  13. MarkH

    akiwi Guest

    akiwi, May 13, 2005
  14. MarkH

    CSE Guest

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 08:44:12 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:

    >Andrew <> wrote in
    >
    >> CSE wrote:
    >>> On Fri, 13 May 2005 18:39:09 +1200, "Jedmeister"
    >>> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> http://compreviews.about.com/od/multimedia/a/LCDColor.htm
    >>>

    >> From that page:
    >>
    >> Does it Really Matter?
    >>
    >> This is very subjective to the actual user and what the computer is
    >> used for. The amount of color really matters to those that do
    >> professional work on graphics. For these people, the amount of color
    >> that is displayed on the screen is very important. The average
    >> consumer is not going to really need this level of color
    >> representation by their monitor. As a result, it probably doesn't
    >> matter. People using their displays for video games or watching video
    >> will likely not care about the number of colors rendered by the LCD
    >> but by the speed at which it can be displayed. As a result, it is best
    >> to determine your needs and base your purchase on those criteria.
    >>
    >> So... Mark, are you using it for professional graphics work? or are
    >> you an average consumer

    >I do some graphics work, but I still have my 19" CRT for that. It'll
    >probably be a couple of years before I replace my Hitachi CM771 19" CRT, it
    >still works very well.

    I did see a 19" Black Philips in PBtech Wellington some months ago and I must
    say it looked very nice..

    CSE, May 13, 2005
  15. MarkH

    CSE Guest

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 09:08:28 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:

    >CSE <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Fri, 13 May 2005 19:18:37 +1200, Andrew
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> From that page:
    >>>
    >>>Does it Really Matter?

    >>>This is very subjective to the actual user and what the computer is
    >>>used for. The amount of color really matters to those that do
    >>>professional work on graphics. For these people, the amount of color
    >>>that is displayed on the screen is very important. The average
    >>>consumer is not going to really need this level of color
    >>>representation by their monitor. As a result, it probably doesn't
    >>>matter. People using their displays for video games or watching video
    >>>will likely not care about the number of colors rendered by the LCD
    >>>but by the speed at which it can be displayed. As a result, it is best
    >>>to determine your needs and base your purchase on those criteria.

    >> Yes its be because its a Con..

    >Roger, that quote that Andrew provided is from the website you quoted. If
    >you disagree with what that webpage says then why did you quote them and
    >provide the link?
    >
    >You seem to be unable to understand all of a website, you only understand
    >the parts that you want to.
    >
    >As the specs for my new monitor state 16.2M colours, it is quite likely
    >that there is dithering involved. But the monitor suits the purposes that
    >I bought it for.

    I quoted the Web site and part of the comments, what more did you want, if
    Andrew removed the URL its not my Fault..

    So I don't know what you are on about at all.

    Gee you just can't help any one in this News Group at all.

    CSE, May 13, 2005
  16. MarkH

    CSE Guest

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 21:31:11 +1200, lee <> wrote:

    >BenQ FP937S+
    >8ms Response Time
    >16.7 Million colours
    >http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsI.php?pp_id=FP00009
    >
    >is this a goody then?

    It might be, but I would never ever buy a BenQ product..

    CSE, May 13, 2005
  17. MarkH

    Richard Guest

    wogers nemesis wrote:

    > Yeah LCDs have come of age now. I'm not too sure about the colour space
    > that LCDs offer (the reds look odd on my Benq) but sharp text makes up for
    > it. No problems with games if it is 8ms.
    >
    > The Benq offered a week for you to return it if you notice any faults with
    > pixels at all, with the traditional "a few bad ones allowed" after that.

    I find the visable pixel structure to be really annoying, and the red fringe on
    the left and blue on the right that only having 3 physical pixels per real pixel
    will do. To me it looks like a badly alligned CRT with a stocking over it.

    However, running a high res panel at a lower res, like a 1600x1200 at 1024x768
    and being a distance from it is in my opinion is a better image, since the
    coloured fringes are gone.

    Richard, May 13, 2005
  18. MarkH

    akiwi Guest

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 21:54:12 +1200, akiwi <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 13 May 2005 21:31:11 +1200, lee <> wrote:
    >
    >>BenQ FP937S+
    >>8ms Response Time
    >>16.7 Million colours
    >>http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsI.php?pp_id=FP00009
    >>
    >>is this a goody then?
    >>

    >Not necessarily. Not so good for movies according to Tom's and as
    >with Tom's review of the FP937S without the "+", it's described as
    >cheesy and fragile. Good for gamers but there's better choices for
    >"office work" or movie watching.
    >
    >http://www1.graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050215/lcd-06.html

    It's odd that BenQ describe this as having 16.7 million colours and a
    "movie mode" but Tom's list 16.2 million colours and don't mention
    movie mode.
    http://www.benq.com.au/HomeShowProduct.asp?Prodid=372

    akiwi, May 13, 2005
  19. MarkH

    MarkH Guest

    CSE <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 13 May 2005 09:08:28 GMT, MarkH <> wrote:
    >
    >>CSE <> wrote in

    >>> Yes its be because its a Con..

    >>Roger, that quote that Andrew provided is from the website you quoted.
    >> If you disagree with what that webpage says then why did you quote
    >>them and provide the link?
    >>
    >>You seem to be unable to understand all of a website, you only
    >>understand the parts that you want to.
    >>
    >>As the specs for my new monitor state 16.2M colours, it is quite
    >>likely that there is dithering involved. But the monitor suits the
    >>purposes that I bought it for.

    > I quoted the Web site and part of the comments, what more did you
    > want, if Andrew removed the URL its not my Fault..

    You copied a paragraph from that site, Andrew copied another paragraph.
    If you post a URL it is a bit rich to rubbish what is on that site.

    > So I don't know what you are on about at all.

    I suspect that is a problem you often have.

    > Gee you just can't help any one in this News Group at all.

    When did you try to help?

    From the site you cited I got 2 points:
    1. The fast LCD monitors dither colours
    2. Unless doing graphics work where it is important to have as wide a
    gamut as possible, it doesn’t really matter.

    For typing this, the LCD seems fine.

    The LCD is also fine for:
    Playing games
    Watching Videos
    Creating invoices in MYOB
    Burning CDs and DVDs
    Using Office apps
    Browsing the web
    Using E-Mail
    etc.

    The only app on my PC that the LCD is less than ideal for is Photoshop.
    But the LCD is still usable, though I will do the precise colour
    matching work with my CRT.

    MarkH, May 13, 2005
  20. MarkH

    MarkH Guest

    CSE <> wrote in

    > I did see a 19" Black Philips in PBtech Wellington some months ago
    > and I must say it looked very nice..

    Mine would be the same, but it is the new model with the 8ms.

    BTW
    I paid about $100 more for the better model with DVI and perfect panel
    guarantee. With the cheaper model less than five bright pixels is not
    classified as a fault. Mine will be fixed if it has even one bright or
    dark pixel.

    MarkH, May 13, 2005