Good LCD needed

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by DeMoN LaG, Jan 30, 2004.

  1. DeMoN LaG

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    The image quality of my 19" CRT is not what it used to be. I mean, I got
    it a few years ago for a steal of a price (like $149), so I got my use out
    of it. But I'd like to save some desk space and get a nice picture from a
    new LCD. I'm looking in the 17" to 18" range, and I'd like to stay under
    $400 if possible.

    Along the other requirements, I tend to play games so I would desire a good
    (sub 30ms) response time would be nice. Also, most of the LCDs I've been
    seeing still use a regular VGA connector, and I'd hopefully like to be able
    to convert to using a DVI connector with this new LCD.

    Basically, what have you seen that you like and what would you recommend?

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 30, 2004

  2. DeMoN LaG

    Thor Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > The image quality of my 19" CRT is not what it used to be. I mean, I got
    > it a few years ago for a steal of a price (like $149), so I got my use out
    > of it. But I'd like to save some desk space and get a nice picture from a
    > new LCD. I'm looking in the 17" to 18" range, and I'd like to stay under
    > $400 if possible.
    >
    > Along the other requirements, I tend to play games so I would desire a

    good
    > (sub 30ms) response time would be nice. Also, most of the LCDs I've been
    > seeing still use a regular VGA connector, and I'd hopefully like to be

    able
    > to convert to using a DVI connector with this new LCD.

    I've seen VGA and DVI outputs and frankly, I couldn't tell much difference
    in the picture quality. Now, since DVI is digital, you would probably retain
    better quality with longer cable runs (pure speculation, I don't know what
    DVI's cable length limits are), but other than that possibility, I don't see
    the big deal yet with DVI. The picture was slightly brighter, and that was
    about it. Whatever you do, get a monitor with a good full 3 year warranty.
    It can be a bitch if those backlights go out. :)

    Thor, Jan 30, 2004

  3. DeMoN LaG

    Todd Howard Guest

    Check the price of the Samsung 191 T......it was close to $1000 CAN here
    about 5 months ago, but may have dropped and is probably one of the best out
    there for your buck.....The Dell 19" ones are just rebranded 191 T's
    also.....
    TH

    Todd Howard, Jan 31, 2004
  4. DeMoN LaG

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Todd Howard" <> wrote in

    > Check the price of the Samsung 191 T......it was close to $1000 CAN
    > here about 5 months ago, but may have dropped and is probably one of
    > the best out there for your buck.....The Dell 19" ones are just
    > rebranded 191 T's also.....

    That doesn't sound bad, but it is about $700 for one of those, I'm looking
    at around $400 for a price.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 31, 2004
  5. DeMoN LaG

    Hoffman Guest

    Unless you can find a used or refurbished monitor, I don't know where you'll
    find a good 18" lcd at that price, especially with a DVI input. Also for
    games you should have a sub 20ms response time. The Benq FP 767 is a 17"
    with 16ms response, good picture quality and a good warranty. You should be
    able to find it for a bit more that $400.00. I doubt you will be happy with
    anything cheaper.
    Larry

    Hoffman, Jan 31, 2004