    you like it?

    And advice?

    , Oct 5, 2004

  2. Jerry G. Guest

    In some of the models, the Canon printers are lower in cost for their
    cartridges. But, they are subject to having nozzle blockage problems if
    the ink dries out between the cartridge and the nozzle. Then the nozzles
    have to be replaced. I have had nozzle problems in various types of
    printers, which brought me back to the HP again. When replacing the
    cartridge in the HP printer, you are getting a new nozzle with the
    replacement, which adds to the reliability of the printer.

    As for the all in one printers, I found them to be less economical in
    the long run. If one section fails you are left with a multifunctional
    printer where part of it is defective. When buying a new one, you are
    almost paying the same price as separates with more complicated drivers,
    and sometimes less performance, if you look at it over the long run.

    My preference is for the separate devices. I found the most economical
    way to operate is to have an inkjet printer for the colour photo and
    catalogue work, a laser printer for the general B&W print work, and a
    scanner for the scanner. With a good faxing software, the computer makes
    an excellent fax machine with all of this.

    As for the laser printer, on an $80 cartridge I have been able to
    squeeze out about 2500 to 3000 prints. My inkjet printer can never do
    anything like that on a cartridge that costs nearly the same amount.
    With the inkjet printer, I am lucky if I can get about 300 prints with a
    single expensive cartridge.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    <> wrote in message
    I have one of those HP multifunction
    printer/scanner/copier units at home. It works well
    enough for my uses but the dang ink cartridge cost a
    fortune!

    Since I never print in color I was wondering if anyone
    has a laser based printer/copier/scaner unit and how
    you like it?

    And advice?

    Jerry G., Oct 5, 2004

  3. Guest

    >As for the laser printer, on an $80 cartridge I have been able to
    >squeeze out about 2500 to 3000 prints. My inkjet printer can never do
    >anything like that on a cartridge that costs nearly the same amount.
    >With the inkjet printer, I am lucky if I can get about 300 prints with a
    >single expensive cartridge.

    Same here

    Like I said I SELDOM print anything in color. Hence the idea of just
    getting a B&W laser for home use.

    , Oct 5, 2004
  4. Dan Evans Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in message

    > As for the laser printer, on an $80 cartridge I have been able to
    > squeeze out about 2500 to 3000 prints.

    Yep, laser is definitely the best for daily printing - our cartidges cost
    nearly 300 euros, but are good for 14000 pages (Optra R+ and R's) or 60
    Euros for the Laserjet 4SI (don't know the page count on that one - it only
    really gets used for duplex printing).

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Oct 6, 2004
  5. Toolman Tim Guest

    >| >As for the laser printer, on an $80 cartridge I have been able to
    >| >squeeze out about 2500 to 3000 prints. My inkjet printer can never
    >| >do anything like that on a cartridge that costs nearly the same
    >| >amount. With the inkjet printer, I am lucky if I can get about 300
    >| >prints with a single expensive cartridge.
    >|
    >| Same here
    >|
    >| Like I said I SELDOM print anything in color. Hence the idea of
    >| just getting a B&W laser for home use.

    I too keep both - the color only when I need it, the 8 year old laser still
    gets the main work load. I've been quite happy with the HP 1300 laser at
    work - long life on the cartridge. If I had to replace the old beater at
    home, I'd probably think seriously about getting the HP for myself.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Oct 6, 2004
  6. Guest

    >Yep, laser is definitely the best for daily printing

    So laser is STILL the most cost effective way to go
    over ink jet then?

    I wanna make sure of this b4 buying something

    Again....Im looking at a home laser printer..... NOT a
    commercial one

    , Oct 6, 2004
  7. Dan Evans Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > >Yep, laser is definitely the best for daily printing

    > So laser is STILL the most cost effective way to go
    > over ink jet then?
    >
    > I wanna make sure of this b4 buying something
    >
    > Again....Im looking at a home laser printer..... NOT a
    > commercial one

    You'd have to compare how many pages per cartridge you'd get for each Inkjet
    printer you're considering, then compare it to a laser. A laser is more
    expensive to buy initially, but - for us at least - is much cheaper to run.

    We've got 2 of these (and a third that broke, was fixed, and is now a spare
    backup), URL may have wrapped
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16189&item=6712050816&rd=1

    I got ours for rather more than that, but I have seen the model "R" as low
    as $50 on ebay.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Oct 6, 2004
  8. Special Ed Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > >Yep, laser is definitely the best for daily printing

    > So laser is STILL the most cost effective way to go
    > over ink jet then?
    >
    > I wanna make sure of this b4 buying something
    >
    > Again....Im looking at a home laser printer..... NOT a
    > commercial one

    PC Magazine does a printer roundup/review a few times a year that includes
    price per page for consumables. Check their website.

    Edw.

    Special Ed, Oct 6, 2004