    Thoughts?

    TIA,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 6, 2006

  2. Jamie Kahn Genet

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > Having noted the pro digital camera thread, I thought I'd ask what's
    > recommended for lowend users? I need a camera that will take nice, clean
    > shots for the items I sell on TradeMe and the occasional fun shot.
    > Nothing fancy, just decent quality shots that won't have to be touched
    > up too much, reliable and easy to use.

    I just recently bought a Panasonic LZ-1 and I'm quite impressed. DSE
    have these for less than $400.00 currently, as this model is EOL.

    6x optical zoom, image stabilisation, excellent battery life from 2xAAs,
    takes SD cards. Good display, reasonable menu system, lots of tweakables.

    Big enough to be easy to hold, small enough to fit in your pocket. Not a
    perfect camera by any means, but good value for money.
    -=rjh=-, Apr 6, 2006

  3. "Jamie Kahn Genet" <> wrote in message
    > Having noted the pro digital camera thread, I thought I'd ask what's
    > recommended for lowend users? I need a camera that will take nice, clean
    > shots for the items I sell on TradeMe and the occasional fun shot.
    > Nothing fancy, just decent quality shots that won't have to be touched
    > up too much, reliable and easy to use.
    >
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet
    > --
    > If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

    what is your budget?

    I think , most digital cameras from $300+ are pretty good.

    Check out parallel imported too.
    news.xtra.co.nz, Apr 6, 2006
  4. news.xtra.co.nz <> wrote:

    > "Jamie Kahn Genet" <> wrote in message
    > > Having noted the pro digital camera thread, I thought I'd ask what's
    > > recommended for lowend users? I need a camera that will take nice, clean
    > > shots for the items I sell on TradeMe and the occasional fun shot.
    > > Nothing fancy, just decent quality shots that won't have to be touched
    > > up too much, reliable and easy to use.
    > >
    > > Thoughts?
    > >
    > > TIA,
    > > Jamie Kahn Genet
    > > --
    > > If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

    > what is your budget?
    >
    > I think , most digital cameras from $300+ are pretty good.
    >
    > Check out parallel imported too.

    Well, I was looking to spend less than $300 - more like $200. But if
    push comes to shove, I'd rather shell out a bit more and get a decent,
    reliable camera.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 6, 2006
  5. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > Having noted the pro digital camera thread, I thought I'd ask what's
    > recommended for lowend users? I need a camera that will take nice, clean
    > shots for the items I sell on TradeMe and the occasional fun shot.
    > Nothing fancy, just decent quality shots that won't have to be touched
    > up too much, reliable and easy to use.
    >
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    IMHO

    just about any small X3 optical Zoom camera should do the job. I have
    made more money from a 2migpixal camera in its last 2 months than I did
    with my film camera. I have a liking for the fuji line up, but like the
    canon models too. look for macro see if you can try the camera out in
    the shop have a look at the output on a computer and make your own mind
    up.

    Robert Cooze, Apr 6, 2006
  6. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Allistar Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

    > Having noted the pro digital camera thread, I thought I'd ask what's
    > recommended for lowend users? I need a camera that will take nice, clean
    > shots for the items I sell on TradeMe and the occasional fun shot.
    > Nothing fancy, just decent quality shots that won't have to be touched
    > up too much, reliable and easy to use.
    >
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    It may not be considered entry level, but I recently purchased a Canon
    Powershot A620, which is an excellent camera that takes very good pics.
    It's 7.1 megapixel with 4x optical zoom. Only drawback is the standard 32Mb
    card will only hold 15 pics at high res.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Apr 6, 2006
  7. In article <1hde8nc.977bqk1f02phdN%>,
    (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:

    > Having noted the pro digital camera thread, I thought I'd ask what's
    > recommended for lowend users? I need a camera that will take nice, clean
    > shots for the items I sell on TradeMe and the occasional fun shot.
    > Nothing fancy, just decent quality shots that won't have to be touched
    > up too much, reliable and easy to use.

    Anything over 2MP will be an overkill for TradeMe shots and fun shots
    again can be taken with that size.

    I'd recommend Canon. There are plenty of options, start at DPReview
    <http://www.dpreview.com/> to compare their features. You would be
    buying 2nd hand as anything sold new will be more powerful than you
    need. The A75, 85 or 95 models combine automation with usability with
    useful macro, but you may prefer something with a bigger viewing screen.

    I just had a look at TradeMe Home > Electronics & photography > Digital
    cameras > 3 megapixel, there are 97 listings. That should keep you busy.

    --
    ~Dibley
    Dibley Fanshaw, Apr 6, 2006
  8. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Vista Guest

    "Jamie Kahn Genet" <> wrote in message
    > Having noted the pro digital camera thread, I thought I'd ask what's
    > recommended for lowend users? I need a camera that will take nice, clean
    > shots for the items I sell on TradeMe and the occasional fun shot.
    > Nothing fancy, just decent quality shots that won't have to be touched
    > up too much, reliable and easy to use.
    >
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet
    > --
    > If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

    Don't get a kodak.

    Most of the other main brands are good, depends largely on the memory card
    format you want. I use Compact flash. Canon, Sony, Nikon are all good brands
    Vista, Apr 7, 2006
  9. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 09:49:48 +1200, Dibley Fanshaw wrote:

    > Anything over 2MP will be an overkill for TradeMe shots and fun shots
    > again can be taken with that size.

    Can one still buy a 2MP camera? I have not seen one for some time.
    Gordon, Apr 7, 2006
  10. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 02:03:28 +1200, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

    > Well, I was looking to spend less than $300 - more like $200. But if
    > push comes to shove, I'd rather shell out a bit more and get a decent,
    > reliable camera.

    No, $200 is second hand only. Also keep in mind that you may find that a
    digital camera has you clicking away like you thought was not possible.
    Gordon, Apr 7, 2006
  11. In article <1144385312.990703@ftpsrv1>, says...

    > Don't get a kodak.
    >
    > Most of the other main brands are good, depends largely on the memory card
    > format you want. I use Compact flash. Canon, Sony, Nikon are all good brands

    Nikon tends to be overpriced (Minolta more so) and you may add Olympus to the
    list of recommended digicams.

    Rule of thumb: you get what you pay for. If you buy some 200 dollar no-name-
    brand you're likely to *not* get half way decent point-and-click pictures.
    I've seen gazillions of those when burning WWOOFer's pictures on CD for them.

    Any fool on the other hand, can point my upper mid-range Oly at [whatever],
    press the button and come away with a nice, crisp, in-focus picture. So it
    goes.

    Once, I went to buy a guitar. The guy said: "Beginners Instrument? how can a
    beginner play on an instrument that even a master couldn't play on?". Applies
    to lots of things, in my experience.

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Apr 7, 2006
  12. Jamie Kahn Genet

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > news.xtra.co.nz <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Jamie Kahn Genet" <> wrote in message
    >> > Having noted the pro digital camera thread, I thought I'd ask what's
    >> > recommended for lowend users? I need a camera that will take nice,
    >> > clean
    >> > shots for the items I sell on TradeMe and the occasional fun shot.
    >> > Nothing fancy, just decent quality shots that won't have to be touched
    >> > up too much, reliable and easy to use.
    >> >
    >> > Thoughts?
    >> >
    >> > TIA,
    >> > Jamie Kahn Genet
    >> > --
    >> > If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

    >> what is your budget?
    >>
    >> I think , most digital cameras from $300+ are pretty good.
    >>
    >> Check out parallel imported too.

    > Well, I was looking to spend less than $300 - more like $200. But if
    > push comes to shove, I'd rather shell out a bit more and get a decent,
    > reliable camera.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    The Canon A410 does good shots.
    http://dse.resultspage.com/search.php?sessionid=443629ef053470a4273fc0a87f9906e8&site=&w=canon a410

    You'll see other cameras under $300 that will do the job as well.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Apr 7, 2006
  13. In article <>,
    Gordon <> wrote:

    > Anything over 2MP will be an overkill for TradeMe shots and fun shots
    > > again can be taken with that size.

    > Can one still buy a 2MP camera? I have not seen one for some time.

    Plenty on TradeMe.

    They're OK for 6x4 prints & fine for TradeMe web images. I have to
    downsize my 8MP images considerably before uploading to TM.

    --
    ~Dibley
    Dibley Fanshaw, Apr 7, 2006
  14. In article <>, Allistar <> wrote:

    > It may not be considered entry level, but I recently purchased a Canon
    > Powershot A620, which is an excellent camera that takes very good pics.
    > It's 7.1 megapixel with 4x optical zoom. Only drawback is the standard 32Mb
    > card will only hold 15 pics at high res

    The cards normally provided with cameras are a standing joke. They're
    purely for checking the thing works at all (except if it is capable of
    RAW images which rarely fit into the supplied card.)

    --
    ~Dibley
    Dibley Fanshaw, Apr 7, 2006
  15. On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 19:40:26 +1200, Peter Huebner wrote:

    > Nikon tends to be overpriced (Minolta more so) and you may add Olympus to the
    > list of recommended digicams.

    I had a Konica-Minolta Dimage Z5. Was $650 when I bought it, one of those
    megazoom cameras. I really liked it and found it wasn't very difficult to
    take nice looking pictures. Was a bit noisy, but as long as you stayed at
    the lower ISO settings, was fine. I'd recommended it. Or those Panasonics,
    they're awesome.

    --
    Regards,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Apr 7, 2006
  16. Jamie Kahn Genet

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > news.xtra.co.nz <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Jamie Kahn Genet" <> wrote in message
    >>> Having noted the pro digital camera thread, I thought I'd ask what's
    >>> recommended for lowend users? I need a camera that will take nice, clean
    >>> shots for the items I sell on TradeMe and the occasional fun shot.
    >>> Nothing fancy, just decent quality shots that won't have to be touched
    >>> up too much, reliable and easy to use.
    >>>
    >>> Thoughts?
    >>>
    >>> TIA,
    >>> Jamie Kahn Genet
    >>> --
    >>> If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

    >> what is your budget?
    >>
    >> I think , most digital cameras from $300+ are pretty good.
    >>
    >> Check out parallel imported too.

    > Well, I was looking to spend less than $300 - more like $200. But if
    > push comes to shove, I'd rather shell out a bit more and get a decent,
    > reliable camera.

    I wouldn't worry too much about that - almost everyone I know who has
    bought a digital camera has upgraded it within a year or two anyway. You
    are best to buy something cheap but adequate and just get started.

    I think that what happens, is that people don't really know how they are
    going to use digital photography until they buy their first camera, then
    they re-assess their requirements and upgrade. And of course, meanwhile
    cameras become available with more features and cheaper, which only
    helps the re-assessment process :)

    Digital photography has the potential (for some people, possibly most)
    to be very different from film, so your requirements in a camera may not
    be what you think they are; and also, while most people would buy a film
    camera and use it for a decade or two (I have one here that I've owned
    for more than thirty years) digital cameras probably won't be used for
    anything like that length of time.
    -=rjh=-, Apr 7, 2006
  17. Jamie Kahn Genet

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Dibley Fanshaw" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Allistar <> wrote:
    >
    >> It may not be considered entry level, but I recently purchased a Canon
    >> Powershot A620, which is an excellent camera that takes very good pics.
    >> It's 7.1 megapixel with 4x optical zoom. Only drawback is the standard
    >> 32Mb
    >> card will only hold 15 pics at high res

    > The cards normally provided with cameras are a standing joke. They're
    > purely for checking the thing works at all (except if it is capable of
    > RAW images which rarely fit into the supplied card.)
    >
    > --
    > ~Dibley

    Yes, long gone are the good old days where you could buy a cheap Nikon and
    get 1,000 rolls of film that expire 2 years later with it.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Apr 7, 2006
  18. Jamie Kahn Genet

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >> news.xtra.co.nz <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Jamie Kahn Genet" <> wrote in message

    >>> what is your budget?
    >>>
    >>> I think , most digital cameras from $300+ are pretty good.
    >>>
    >>> Check out parallel imported too.

    >> Well, I was looking to spend less than $300 - more like $200. But if
    >> push comes to shove, I'd rather shell out a bit more and get a decent,
    >> reliable camera.

    > I wouldn't worry too much about that - almost everyone I know who has
    > bought a digital camera has upgraded it within a year or two anyway. You
    > are best to buy something cheap but adequate and just get started.
    >
    > I think that what happens, is that people don't really know how they are
    > going to use digital photography until they buy their first camera, then
    > they re-assess their requirements and upgrade. And of course, meanwhile
    > cameras become available with more features and cheaper, which only helps
    > the re-assessment process :)
    >
    > Digital photography has the potential (for some people, possibly most) to
    > be very different from film, so your requirements in a camera may not be
    > what you think they are; and also, while most people would buy a film
    > camera and use it for a decade or two (I have one here that I've owned for
    > more than thirty years) digital cameras probably won't be used for
    > anything like that length of time.

    People who are serious photographers will have more than one camera.
    The camera that will get used the most is a good small compact that can be
    easily taken anywhere in one's pocket even if it doesn't get used if there's
    nothing worth taking a picture of at the time.

    The digital camera will get more use by anyone who buys one, as they cost
    next to nothing to run once you've got a good card and rechargeable Nimh
    batteries for it. People who buy them take pictures that they normally
    wouldn't because they don't want to waste the limited number of picture that
    there film provides which is an on going cost when it needs replacing.
    There's no running round back forth getting film developed.
    Thanks to digial photography and dropping camera prices more people are
    using them and taking more pictures than ever.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Apr 7, 2006
  19. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Roadkill Guest

    "Jamie Kahn Genet" <> wrote in message
    > Having noted the pro digital camera thread, I thought I'd ask what's
    > recommended for lowend users? I need a camera that will take nice, clean
    > shots for the items I sell on TradeMe and the occasional fun shot.
    > Nothing fancy, just decent quality shots that won't have to be touched
    > up too much, reliable and easy to use.
    >
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet
    > --
    > If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

    I have only a $170 Kodak from the Warehouse, and honestly it is fine.
    A pro. photographer agreed, and told me that most cameras are overpriced and
    over-gimmicked.
    hth
    Roadkill, Apr 8, 2006
  20. Jamie Kahn Genet

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Roadkill" <> wrote in message

    > "Jamie Kahn Genet" <> wrote in message
    >> Having noted the pro digital camera thread, I thought I'd ask what's
    >> recommended for lowend users? I need a camera that will take nice, clean
    >> shots for the items I sell on TradeMe and the occasional fun shot.
    >> Nothing fancy, just decent quality shots that won't have to be touched
    >> up too much, reliable and easy to use.
    >>
    >> Thoughts?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >> Jamie Kahn Genet
    >> --
    >> If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

    > I have only a $170 Kodak from the Warehouse, and honestly it is fine.
    > A pro. photographer agreed, and told me that most cameras are overpriced
    > and over-gimmicked.
    > hth

    As long as it keeps working it should do a good enough job.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Apr 8, 2006