Good infrared/near infrared camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Gisle Hannemyr, Jul 24, 2004.

  1. I have been experimenting with a Canon Powershot G5 with a Hoya R72
    filter for "creative" (as opposed to "scientific") IR photography.
    ( Example: http://folk.uio.no/gisle/photo/ir.html )

    The Canon G5 is IR sensitive, but not very much. Typical
    exposure times in bright sunlight is 1 second at f/2.0. I am
    not happy with the results. The long exposure time makes the
    images noisy and less than sharp. It also means that a tripod
    is mandatory.

    I am therefore thinking about getting a second (cheap) camera to
    be used for IR photography. I understand that "older" digital
    cameras, such as Canon Powershot G1 and Nikon Coolpix 775 had
    poorer "hot mirror" IR blocking filters than more recent
    models - so my plan is to get a second-hand 2 or 3 Mpx camera to
    be used mainly for shooting IR.

    I hope to find a camera that is sensitive enough to IR (or near IR) to
    allow me to stop down to f/5.6 or f/8 and shoot at 1/60 second or less
    in bright sunlight with a Hoya R72 or Wratten 88A filter in place.

    The problem: Does such a camera exist?

    I know Sony DSC-f707 and DSC-f717 (with the "nightshot" mode) are
    suitable - but these are 5 Mpx cameras and quite expensive second
    hand, and I don't like the way Sony has crippled nightshot mode.

    I am looking for alternatives to the Sonys. Are there any of the
    previous generation 2 and 3 Mpx P&S that bad enough IR blocking filter
    to allow them to be used at (say) f/5.6 and 1/60 sec. with an IR-pass
    filter in place?
    Gisle Hannemyr, Jul 24, 2004

  2. Gisle Hannemyr

    phillean Guest

    have a look at this site for information that may help you, there is a lot
    going on in this field
    http://dpfwiw.com/ir.htm

    phil

    phillean, Jul 24, 2004

  3. Gisle Hannemyr

    phillean Guest

    this one is a bit newer and has more links

    http://www.robwilliams.ca/Articles/Digital_Infrared.htm

    phil

    phillean, Jul 24, 2004
  4. Gisle Hannemyr <> writes:

    > I have been experimenting with a Canon Powershot G5 with a Hoya R72
    > filter for "creative" (as opposed to "scientific") IR photography.
    > ( Example: http://folk.uio.no/gisle/photo/ir.html )
    >
    > The Canon G5 is IR sensitive, but not very much. Typical
    > exposure times in bright sunlight is 1 second at f/2.0. I am
    > not happy with the results. The long exposure time makes the
    > images noisy and less than sharp. It also means that a tripod
    > is mandatory.
    >
    > I am therefore thinking about getting a second (cheap) camera to
    > be used for IR photography. I understand that "older" digital
    > cameras, such as Canon Powershot G1 and Nikon Coolpix 775 had
    > poorer "hot mirror" IR blocking filters than more recent
    > models - so my plan is to get a second-hand 2 or 3 Mpx camera to
    > be used mainly for shooting IR.
    >
    > I hope to find a camera that is sensitive enough to IR (or near IR) to
    > allow me to stop down to f/5.6 or f/8 and shoot at 1/60 second or less
    > in bright sunlight with a Hoya R72 or Wratten 88A filter in place.

    Try to find a used Olympus C-2100UZ, which quite a few people like the IR
    photos they take, and because it has image stabalization, it means you can skip
    the tripod in some cases. Note, this is second hand, I haven't tried an IR
    filter on my C-2100UZ, just seen other people's work.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Jul 24, 2004