    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 14, 2004

  2. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > I know it hasn't been released yet, but it gives a good idea as to what
    > it will include... some of the updates are very welcome.
    >
    > http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=article&dId=602
    >
    > Pop-up blocking
    > Firewall stops outgoing connections too
    > You can disable portions or all of Active-X
    > A feature called "Accidental Download installation blocking" which
    > sounds like a porn dialer blocker type thing.
    > and a few more.

    or for the correct linkage... go here.
    http://www.ipkonfig.com/Articles/WinXPSP2_Info/

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 14, 2004

  3. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:23:32 +1300, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Firewall stops outgoing connections too

    if you need that, then you must be expecting to have trojans and spyware
    all through your computer
    -[Myth]-, Jan 14, 2004
  4. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    Mutlley Guest

    "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:

    >T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> I know it hasn't been released yet, but it gives a good idea as to what
    >> it will include... some of the updates are very welcome.
    >>
    >> http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=article&dId=602
    >>
    >> Pop-up blocking
    >> Firewall stops outgoing connections too
    >> You can disable portions or all of Active-X
    >> A feature called "Accidental Download installation blocking" which
    >> sounds like a porn dialer blocker type thing.
    >> and a few more.
    >>

    >or for the correct linkage... go here.
    >http://www.ipkonfig.com/Articles/WinXPSP2_Info/

    From the site.

    "After installing SP2 Windows will ask if you would like to set your
    computer to automatically search out critical updates for your version
    of Windows (commonly Windows XP series). If you choose 'no', it will
    of course ask again a final time, as it is highly recommended."

    Another reviewer said the options were "Yes" and "Later". There was
    no obvious "No" answer. So I guess all the plebs who install this SP
    will click on "Yes" and Billy boy will have access to their PC to do
    what he likes..
    Mutlley, Jan 14, 2004
  5. -[Myth]- wrote:
    >>Firewall stops outgoing connections too

    > if you need that, then you must be expecting to have trojans and spyware
    > all through your computer

    yeah I know, but it should be good for users who haven't been beaten
    with the clue stick yet.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 14, 2004
  6. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    Lebowski Guest

    "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    > I know it hasn't been released yet, but it gives a good idea as to what
    > it will include... some of the updates are very welcome.
    >
    > http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=article&dId=602
    >
    > Pop-up blocking
    > Firewall stops outgoing connections too
    > You can disable portions or all of Active-X
    > A feature called "Accidental Download installation blocking" which
    > sounds like a porn dialer blocker type thing.
    > and a few more.
    >
    > --

    idiot-proofing?
    Lebowski, Jan 14, 2004
  7. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    C Petrin Guest

    "Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    > From the site.
    >
    > "After installing SP2 Windows will ask if you would like to set your
    > computer to automatically search out critical updates for your version
    > of Windows (commonly Windows XP series). If you choose 'no', it will
    > of course ask again a final time, as it is highly recommended."
    >
    > Another reviewer said the options were "Yes" and "Later". There was
    > no obvious "No" answer. So I guess all the plebs who install this SP
    > will click on "Yes" and Billy boy will have access to their PC to do
    > what he likes..

    Another fine contribution from the League of the Extraordinarily
    Paranoid. Would you get a grip please?! You'd be the first to complain
    if Microsoft *didn't* make critical updates easily accessible, and now
    you complain when they *do*. It's an option -- take it or leave.
    Personally I think it's great -- not anything new BTW, this service has
    been available for at least a year, but then an expert like you already
    knew that, right?
    C Petrin, Jan 14, 2004
  8. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    Enkidu Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:47:01 +1300, "-[Myth]-"
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:23:32 +1300, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> Firewall stops outgoing connections too

    >if you need that, then you must be expecting to have trojans and spyware
    >all through your computer

    Just one is enough.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    --

    Christmas comes but once a year, thank the gods. I don't think
    that I could cope with twice.
    Enkidu, Jan 14, 2004
  9. Lebowski wrote:
    > idiot-proofing?

    either way, I think it will be welcome

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 14, 2004
  10. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    The Hobbit Guest

    > I know it hasn't been released yet, but it gives a good idea as to what
    > it will include... some of the updates are very welcome.
    >
    > http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=article&dId=602
    >
    > Pop-up blocking
    > You can disable portions or all of Active-X

    It sounds like they're going to put through the IE changes in SP2 that Eolas
    are suing them for.
    http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/2247661

    Does anyone know how the W3C were/are/did get on - they were planning to
    challenge the patent and get it revoked at one stage weren't they?
    http://boston.internet.com/news/article.php/3102651

    I'd be suprised if it's behaviour turned on by default (or if it's not a
    'don't tell me again' kind of thing (ah la the p3p privacy policy stuff)
    The Hobbit, Jan 14, 2004
  11. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <oLgNb.11942$>,
    lid says...

    > "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    > > I know it hasn't been released yet, but it gives a good idea as to what
    > > it will include... some of the updates are very welcome.
    > >
    > > http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=article&dId=602
    > >
    > > Pop-up blocking
    > > You can disable portions or all of Active-X

    > It sounds like they're going to put through the IE changes in SP2 that Eolas
    > are suing them for.
    > http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/2247661
    >
    > Does anyone know how the W3C were/are/did get on - they were planning to
    > challenge the patent and get it revoked at one stage weren't they?
    > http://boston.internet.com/news/article.php/3102651

    Case is still in the courts, whatever the W3C want they have to wait like
    everyone else

    Mainlander, Jan 16, 2004
  12. Get it from the horses mouth

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...d7-b791-40b6-8364-685b84158c78&DisplayLang=en

    Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
    This document focuses on the changes in Windows XP Service Pack 2 and its
    implications for developers. Examples and details are provided for several
    of the technologies that are experiencing the biggest changes. Future
    versions of this document will cover all new and changed technologies.

    Overview
    In Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2, Microsoft is introducing a set of
    security technologies that will help to improve the ability of Windows
    XP-based computers to withstand malicious attacks from viruses and worms.
    The technologies include network protection, memory protection, safer e-mail
    handling, more secure browsing, and improved computer maintenance.

    Together, these security technologies will help to make it more difficult to
    attack Windows XP, even if the latest updates are not applied. These
    security technologies together are particularly useful in mitigation against
    worms and viruses.
    This document specifically focuses on the changes between earlier versions
    of Windows XP and Windows XP Service Pack 2 and reflects Microsoft's early
    thinking about Service Pack 2 and its implications for developers. Examples
    Nathan Mercer, Jan 17, 2004
  13. "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    >> It sounds like they're going to put through the IE changes in SP2 that
    >> Eolas
    >> are suing them for.
    >> http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/2247661
    >>
    >> Does anyone know how the W3C were/are/did get on - they were planning to
    >> challenge the patent and get it revoked at one stage weren't they?
    >> http://boston.internet.com/news/article.php/3102651

    > Case is still in the courts, whatever the W3C want they have to wait like
    > everyone else

    There is some more info on the this weeks court proceedings here. Case is
    far from over yet

    Nathan Mercer, Jan 17, 2004
  14. "Nathan Mercer" <nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz> wrote in message
    > Get it from the horses mouth
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...d7-b791-40b6-8364-685b84158c78&DisplayLang=en
    >
    > Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
    > This document focuses on the changes in Windows XP Service Pack 2 and its
    > implications for developers. Examples and details are provided for several
    > of the technologies that are experiencing the biggest changes. Future
    > versions of this document will cover all new and changed technologies.

    In addition Microsoft is trying to better understand our customer concerns
    with the new Windows XP Service Pack 2 firewall. If you can spare a few
    minutes, I would love to get your thoughts on whether you plan to deploy the
    Windows XP Service Pack 2 firewall in your organization.

    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=89600357670&c=fd1

    Feel free to check out the deployment guide if you want to get a better
    understanding of the features and capabilities of the new SP2 firewall.

    Deploying Internet Connection Firewall Settings for Microsoft® Windows® XP
    with Service Pack 2

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...e1-61fa-447a-bdcd-499f73a637d1&DisplayLang=en
    Nathan Mercer, Jan 18, 2004
  15. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Thanks for the link to the deployment guide, I like the sound of the new
    features. Not having to specify port ranges by specifying an application
    is a great feature IMHO. Sounds like the good stuff in other major
    vendors' firewalls in being incorporated into ICF2. I don't need DLL
    calling protection, so not seeing it mentioned is no bother to me.
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jan 18, 2004
  16. T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

    The Hobbit Guest

    "Nathan Mercer" <nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz> wrote in message

    <Snip>

    > There is some more info on the this weeks court proceedings here. Case is
    > far from over yet

    Cheersor that Nathan - just getting understandably twitchy as, if the
    changes go in as they are currently looking in the Beta then we'll need to
    make some major changes to the coding of our sites to maintain the
    functionality - if we can avoid this then all the better :)
    The Hobbit, Jan 18, 2004