    Thanks!

    -Chris
    , Aug 26, 2005

  2. frederick Guest

    wrote:
    > Well, I'm continuing to read and research as part of my decision to
    > move up from a P&S digital to dSLR. I'm now looking at the Nikon D50.
    > Would this lens:
    >
    > Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED IF AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens
    >
    > be a good "general purpose" lens for this camera? The goal is to have
    > usable macro as well as portrait. Telephoto is not as important to me.
    >
    > Here's a link to Amazon, where I found it: http://tinyurl.com/beejg
    >
    > If not this lens, is there another I should be looking at? Macro and
    > portrait are key for me, as well as decent low light performance.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > -Chris

    The only thing about the 18-70 that may disappoint is that the close
    focus distance is only about 38cm / 15 inches.
    I do macro, and have a 105mm macro lens, but also I have experimented
    with the 18-70 with one extension tube, 13mm length.
    That takes the focusing distance at 70mm from about 38cm through to just
    under 1:1 ratio. The results are not bad at all.
    A problem may be that it is difficult to buy just one tube, as they
    usually come in sets of three with about 13mm the smallest. The longer
    tubes are not of much practical use with the 18-70, and neither is the
    13mm with the 18-70 zoomed out less than about 50mm. Tubes are
    available with the electronic contacts, which are needed if metering is
    going to work. Despite using this combination several times with a D70,
    I assumed that the AF would not work. Today I forgot to switch AF off,
    and it works even though the extension tubes say very clearly on the box
    "Manual Focus Only" (it doesn't work very well unless the light is
    good). When they made the extension tubes perhaps they didn't think
    about "fly by wire" AF-S lenses. I think that one extension tube of
    13mm may be more use/better than diopter adapters with this lens. It
    has a large front element and filter ring, and good quality adapters
    will be about as expensive as extension tubes. Perhaps more relevent is
    that lighting for macro is often tricky - most dedicated macro lenses
    have front elements that are recessed in to the front of the lens,
    almost like a built-in lenshood. When I was playing with the 18-70 and
    extension tube today outdoors, it was difficult to eliminate flare from
    the sun reflected in windows etc. Adding up to three layers of extra
    glass by way of close-up adapters will make this problem worse.
    So, that is in my opinion a good cheap solution. The 18-70 is a
    terrific lens for almost all I do. I have a macro lens which is for
    sure better (sharper, less distortion, easier to use, longer focal
    length), but it was quite expensive (A Nikkor 105mm AF macro lens will
    cost nearly as much as the D50), and the 18-70 with a tube does nearly
    as good a job in many cases. For portraits, the 18-70 is good, but a
    wider aperture fixed focal length 50mm f1.4, or the inexpensive f1.8 may
    offer some advantage, but perhaps you would need to be quite serious
    about things to consider it worthwhile. There is one advantage that the
    D70s may have over the D50 for macro work - a DOF preview button. DOF
    is very shallow, and shooting macro is when I most use this feature, as
    it can be very hard to guess the effect of aperture on how background
    objects will be rendered.
    frederick, Aug 26, 2005

  3. GTO Guest

    The 18-70 AF-S zoom is a good lens. Not very good, but good. It's autofocus
    is not too precise, so with wide open aperture at 50 to 70mm focal length,
    the AF-S of this lens tends to back focus. I think it has a bit of a lag
    when it locks in focus that tends to overshoot the target. It's very cheaply
    made. The lens hood is junk. I have already lost it once and had to get a
    replacement for $10. But for a D50, it will be good enough.

    The 50mm f1.8D AF is one of Nikon's best optical performer. It's also build
    like a piece of junk made out of plastic. But it sells dirt cheap ($99). Its
    optical performance is excellent and its AF works well.

    The 70-300 f4-5.6D AF ED zoom is a good lens. Again its build like Nikon
    wants it to self-destruct in no time to ensure that we always have to buy
    new lenses. The AF is sluggish. But on a D70, between 70 to 200mm I get good
    results.

    The 105mm micro Nikkor f2.8D AF is a very good lens. It's actually a very
    useful lens, which is also build well. It focus from infinity to 1:1 and is
    well worth the $600 (US dollars!).

    The 80-200mm f2.8D AF is a very good lens. It's heavy and an overkill for a
    D50. But it's sharp and has a good AF. Even for a D70, it's a little bit too
    heavy. But hey, we're all waiting for the D200 ;-)

    How about Sigma and Tamron lenses? Well, find out for yourself.

    Gregor

    GTO, Aug 26, 2005
  4. Guest

    > I do macro, and have a 105mm macro lens, but also I have experimented
    >with the 18-70 with one extension tube, 13mm length.
    >That takes the focusing distance at 70mm from about 38cm through to just
    >under 1:1 ratio. The results are not bad at all.

    Ah...very nice...thanks for this suggestion. I was thinking more about
    it, and wondering: if I have the 18-70 lens, and I wanted to (let's
    say) hit a 1:1 image size, then wouldn't I put an 18mm or longer
    extension on? I thought that if I have the lens turned to the 18mm end
    of its range, then an 18mm extension would "hit" 1:1 exactly?

    -Chris
    , Aug 26, 2005
  5. Bob B. Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Well, I'm continuing to read and research as part of my decision to
    > move up from a P&S digital to dSLR. I'm now looking at the Nikon D50.
    > Would this lens:
    >
    > Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED IF AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens
    >
    > be a good "general purpose" lens for this camera? The goal is to have
    > usable macro as well as portrait. Telephoto is not as important to me.
    >
    > Here's a link to Amazon, where I found it: http://tinyurl.com/beejg
    >
    > If not this lens, is there another I should be looking at? Macro and
    > portrait are key for me, as well as decent low light performance.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > -Chris

    A good place to get information about lenses is the forums at
    dpreview.com. There is lots of detailed talk about lenses, and lots of
    example pictures taken with various lenses.

    A candidate for a "general purpose lens" that was recently discussed
    there is the Nikon 28-200. Not the best possible lens, but good bang for
    the buck.

    Bob B.
    Bob B., Aug 26, 2005
  6. Deedee Tee Guest

    On 26 Aug 2005 07:51:05 -0700, wrote:

    >> I do macro, and have a 105mm macro lens, but also I have experimented
    >>with the 18-70 with one extension tube, 13mm length.
    >>That takes the focusing distance at 70mm from about 38cm through to just
    >>under 1:1 ratio. The results are not bad at all.

    >Ah...very nice...thanks for this suggestion. I was thinking more about
    >it, and wondering: if I have the 18-70 lens, and I wanted to (let's
    >say) hit a 1:1 image size, then wouldn't I put an 18mm or longer
    >extension on? I thought that if I have the lens turned to the 18mm end
    >of its range, then an 18mm extension would "hit" 1:1 exactly?
    >
    >-Chris

    That might not work at all in practice. It would make the effective FL
    of the combined lenses about 9mm, so to put the subject in focus you
    might need to place it _inside_ the lens. A 70mm with another 70mm on
    top is more reasonable. However, I would start first with an extension
    ring between camera body and lens, unless you already have an extra
    lens to mount reversed on the 10-70. An extension ring is cheaper, and
    introduces a smaller amount of aberration than an add-on lens. If you
    need to do a lot of macro, nothing beats a macro lens, of course.
    Deedee Tee, Aug 26, 2005
  7. lacunae Guest

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 18:26:08 -0700, furtherside wrote:

    > Well, I'm continuing to read and research as part of my decision to
    > move up from a P&S digital to dSLR. I'm now looking at the Nikon D50.
    > Would this lens:
    >
    > Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED IF AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens
    >
    > be a good "general purpose" lens for this camera? The goal is to have
    > usable macro as well as portrait. Telephoto is not as important to me.

    I've found this to be a good general purpose lens for my D70, and it is
    the lens that I usually leave attached to the camera. Its not as long as
    the old 28-200 (tamron) I used to leave attached to my 6006, but its
    lighter, faster, and focuses quicklier. (Also, the 28mm on the D70 is not
    at all wide angle, which is a killer indoors)

    Anyways, if you're looking at purchasing the D50 body and adding this
    lens, I'd suggest getting the D70 kit which comes with this lens. With
    the $100 rebate on the D70 kit (not the D70s), you could get the D70kit
    for about the same price (or less) than the D50 body + this lens.
    lacunae, Aug 26, 2005
  8. frederick Guest

    GTO wrote:
    > The 18-70 AF-S zoom is a good lens. Not very good, but good. It's autofocus
    > is not too precise, so with wide open aperture at 50 to 70mm focal length,
    > the AF-S of this lens tends to back focus. I think it has a bit of a lag
    > when it locks in focus that tends to overshoot the target. It's very cheaply
    > made. The lens hood is junk. I have already lost it once and had to get a
    > replacement for $10. But for a D50, it will be good enough.

    If that's what you experience, then I suggest that you get your
    camera/lens checked/calibrated as it is faulty. An example shot from
    mine fully wide at 70mm is at:
    http://www.geocities.com/angels2000photos/pixels.jpg
    My 18-70 is absolutely pin sharp with pixel level acutance at full wide
    aperture. The lens has some faults, noticeable vignetting fully wide,
    and a non-linear zoom action. It is also by today's standards for
    consumer lenses extremely well made and fast focusing.
    I have no idea how you could lose a lens hood. Mine requires a
    significant twisting action to either lock it in position or unlock it.
    It would be almost as hard to accidentally fall off as the flipping
    lens. However, I don't like that type of hood on a "normal" focal
    length zoom, as it restricts access to a circular polariser.

    > The 50mm f1.8D AF is one of Nikon's best optical performer. It's also build
    > like a piece of junk made out of plastic. But it sells dirt cheap ($99). Its
    > optical performance is excellent and its AF works well.
    >
    > The 70-300 f4-5.6D AF ED zoom is a good lens. Again its build like Nikon
    > wants it to self-destruct in no time to ensure that we always have to buy
    > new lenses. The AF is sluggish. But on a D70, between 70 to 200mm I get good
    > results.
    >

    > The 105mm micro Nikkor f2.8D AF is a very good lens. It's actually a very
    > useful lens, which is also build well. It focus from infinity to 1:1 and is
    > well worth the $600 (US dollars!).

    A Tamron 90mm or Sigma 105mm will provide at least as good optical
    performance (better according to photodo.com MTF test data) as the
    Nikkor at about half the price. Build quality arguments and focus
    action quibbles about aftermarket lenses should be mainly ignored.
    Unlike Canon's offerings, the Nikkor does not offer AF-S, which is about
    the only thing that would entice me to pay the extra $$$, as the Tamron
    and Sigma are well made. I'm not saying that the Nikkor is a bad lens,
    just that two aftermarket manufacturers have produced very worthy
    alteratives at great prices.

    frederick, Aug 26, 2005
  9. GTO Guest

    > If that's what you experience, then I suggest that you get your
    > camera/lens checked/calibrated as it is faulty.

    It's the lens. I already checked it. It's not the camera as proposed by so
    many. I mounted the D70 on top of an optical bench with a fixed focal length
    to ensure that its AF works. The D70 is reasonable well behaved. But I am
    not sure if we are talking about the same lens since with the 18-70mm lenses
    I have seen, the lens hood always seems to fall off rather easily. BTW, did
    you use f4 for your test image? If you used a high f-stop, no wonder your
    kit lens can produce sharp images.

    Gregor
    GTO, Aug 27, 2005
  10. frederick Guest

    GTO wrote:
    >>If that's what you experience, then I suggest that you get your
    >>camera/lens checked/calibrated as it is faulty.

    > It's the lens. I already checked it. It's not the camera as proposed by so
    > many. I mounted the D70 on top of an optical bench with a fixed focal length
    > to ensure that its AF works. The D70 is reasonable well behaved. But I am
    > not sure if we are talking about the same lens since with the 18-70mm lenses
    > I have seen, the lens hood always seems to fall off rather easily. BTW, did
    > you use f4 for your test image? If you used a high f-stop, no wonder your
    > kit lens can produce sharp images.
    >
    > Gregor

    I used full wide at 70 - so f4.5. The sharpness I see seems fairly
    consistently with reports from others. A few weeks ago another poster
    and I discussed this lens, and he posted some samples taken with the
    18-70 on a D2x that were terrible. Perhaps there are some with
    problems. Apart from the vignetting, the one I have is as close to
    perfect that you could hope for from any zoom, let alone a relatively
    inexpensive one. The vignetting is not just at the 18mm end as reported
    in some reviews. It is also at the 70mm end when shooting wide, and is
    not because of depth of filter rings.
    The "petal" shaped lens hood rotates and "snap" locks in position. It
    needs a bit of force, and an equal force to remove it, so it's not
    likely to fall off in my opinion. Mine came with a D70 purchased about
    3 months ago. Perhaps they changed the hood since early ones?
    frederick, Aug 27, 2005
  11. Guest

    lacunae wrote:
    > On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 18:26:08 -0700, furtherside wrote:
    >
    > > Well, I'm continuing to read and research as part of my decision to
    > > move up from a P&S digital to dSLR. I'm now looking at the Nikon D50.
    > > Would this lens:
    > >
    > > Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED IF AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens
    > >
    > > be a good "general purpose" lens for this camera? The goal is to have
    > > usable macro as well as portrait. Telephoto is not as important to me.

    > I've found this to be a good general purpose lens for my D70, and it is
    > the lens that I usually leave attached to the camera. Its not as long as
    > the old 28-200 (tamron) I used to leave attached to my 6006, but its
    > lighter, faster, and focuses quicklier. (Also, the 28mm on the D70 is not
    > at all wide angle, which is a killer indoors)
    >
    > Anyways, if you're looking at purchasing the D50 body and adding this
    > lens, I'd suggest getting the D70 kit which comes with this lens. With
    > the $100 rebate on the D70 kit (not the D70s), you could get the D70kit
    > for about the same price (or less) than the D50 body + this lens.

    Thanks...Do you consider the 18-70 lens to be enough of a wide angle
    for indoor "family portrait" photos? I already tortured myself on the
    D50 versus D70 decision...I made the call to stick with the D50...just
    from a sanity point of view I cannot allow myself to revisit that
    particular decision. It's onward to the lens dilemma, now! :)

    -Chris
    , Aug 27, 2005
  12. frederick Guest

    wrote:
    > lacunae wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 18:26:08 -0700, furtherside wrote:
    >>

    >>>Well, I'm continuing to read and research as part of my decision to
    >>>move up from a P&S digital to dSLR. I'm now looking at the Nikon D50.
    >>>Would this lens:
    >>>
    >>>Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED IF AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens
    >>>
    >>>be a good "general purpose" lens for this camera? The goal is to have
    >>>usable macro as well as portrait. Telephoto is not as important to me.

    >>I've found this to be a good general purpose lens for my D70, and it is
    >>the lens that I usually leave attached to the camera. Its not as long as
    >>the old 28-200 (tamron) I used to leave attached to my 6006, but its
    >>lighter, faster, and focuses quicklier. (Also, the 28mm on the D70 is not
    >>at all wide angle, which is a killer indoors)
    >>
    >>Anyways, if you're looking at purchasing the D50 body and adding this
    >>lens, I'd suggest getting the D70 kit which comes with this lens. With
    >>the $100 rebate on the D70 kit (not the D70s), you could get the D70kit
    >>for about the same price (or less) than the D50 body + this lens.

    > Thanks...Do you consider the 18-70 lens to be enough of a wide angle
    > for indoor "family portrait" photos? I already tortured myself on the
    > D50 versus D70 decision...I made the call to stick with the D50...just
    > from a sanity point of view I cannot allow myself to revisit that
    > particular decision. It's onward to the lens dilemma, now! :)
    >
    > -Chris

    At 18mm it is plenty wide enough for normal group portrait type
    situations. Equivalent to about 28mm on a 35mm. Wider than this is
    getting in to "extra wide" territory, which is expensive and probably
    unsuitable for "normal" group portraits because of the distortion /
    stretching effect at the edges of the frame.
    frederick, Aug 28, 2005
  13. Kevin Guest

    wrote:
    > Thanks...Do you consider the 18-70 lens to be enough of a wide angle
    > for indoor "family portrait" photos? I already tortured myself on the
    > D50 versus D70 decision...I made the call to stick with the D50...just
    > from a sanity point of view I cannot allow myself to revisit that
    > particular decision. It's onward to the lens dilemma, now! :)

    I did the same, and ended up buying a D70 (not D70s) with the 18-70 kit
    lens; I was lucky, and got the D70 kit for the same price as the D50 kit
    (with its 18-55 kit lens) would have cost me.
    Kevin, Aug 28, 2005
  14. lacunae Guest

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 08:17:47 -0700, furtherside wrote:

    > lacunae wrote:
    >> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 18:26:08 -0700, furtherside wrote:
    >>
    >> > Well, I'm continuing to read and research as part of my decision to
    >> > move up from a P&S digital to dSLR. I'm now looking at the Nikon D50.
    >> > Would this lens:
    >> >
    >> > Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED IF AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens
    >> >
    >> > be a good "general purpose" lens for this camera? The goal is to have
    >> > usable macro as well as portrait. Telephoto is not as important to me.

    >> I've found this to be a good general purpose lens for my D70, and it is
    >> the lens that I usually leave attached to the camera. Its not as long as
    >> the old 28-200 (tamron) I used to leave attached to my 6006, but its
    >> lighter, faster, and focuses quicklier. (Also, the 28mm on the D70 is not
    >> at all wide angle, which is a killer indoors)
    >>
    >> Anyways, if you're looking at purchasing the D50 body and adding this
    >> lens, I'd suggest getting the D70 kit which comes with this lens. With
    >> the $100 rebate on the D70 kit (not the D70s), you could get the D70kit
    >> for about the same price (or less) than the D50 body + this lens.

    > Thanks...Do you consider the 18-70 lens to be enough of a wide angle
    > for indoor "family portrait" photos? I already tortured myself on the
    > D50 versus D70 decision...I made the call to stick with the D50...just
    > from a sanity point of view I cannot allow myself to revisit that
    > particular decision. It's onward to the lens dilemma, now! :)
    >
    > -Chris

    The 18mm has been good (similar to the 28mm on my film body).
    Plenty wide enough for indoor group shots. (for portaits I find myself out
    in the middle of the range mostly)

    If you're really going to purchase this lens (and you haven't already
    purchased the D50), I would strongly suggest purchasing the D70 kit.
    You'll end up with a more fully-featured camera without spending more
    money (maybe even saving a few bucks). There shouldn't really be any
    dilemma or torture when the situation is better camera, same $$$.
    lacunae, Aug 29, 2005
  15. Guest

    lacunae wrote:
    > On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 08:17:47 -0700, furtherside wrote:
    >

    > > lacunae wrote:

    > >> I've found this to be a good general purpose lens for my D70, and it is
    > >> the lens that I usually leave attached to the camera. Its not as long as
    > >> the old 28-200 (tamron) I used to leave attached to my 6006, but its
    > >> lighter, faster, and focuses quicklier. (Also, the 28mm on the D70 is not
    > >> at all wide angle, which is a killer indoors)
    > >>
    > >> Anyways, if you're looking at purchasing the D50 body and adding this
    > >> lens, I'd suggest getting the D70 kit which comes with this lens. With
    > >> the $100 rebate on the D70 kit (not the D70s), you could get the D70kit
    > >> for about the same price (or less) than the D50 body + this lens.

    > > Thanks...Do you consider the 18-70 lens to be enough of a wide angle
    > > for indoor "family portrait" photos? I already tortured myself on the
    > > D50 versus D70 decision...I made the call to stick with the D50...just
    > > from a sanity point of view I cannot allow myself to revisit that
    > > particular decision. It's onward to the lens dilemma, now! :)
    > >
    > > -Chris

    > The 18mm has been good (similar to the 28mm on my film body).
    > Plenty wide enough for indoor group shots. (for portaits I find myself out
    > in the middle of the range mostly)
    >
    > If you're really going to purchase this lens (and you haven't already
    > purchased the D50), I would strongly suggest purchasing the D70 kit.
    > You'll end up with a more fully-featured camera without spending more
    > money (maybe even saving a few bucks). There shouldn't really be any
    > dilemma or torture when the situation is better camera, same $$$.

    Yes, I thought about this...but I convinced myself that the D50 is
    better for me than the D70. Reasons:

    - one year newer technology
    - better image results, lower noise, as reported by dpreview.com
    - faster USB 2.0 interface versus slow USB 1.1 on the D70

    True, the D70 has a couple of features over the D50 (the most
    compelling, IMO, is DOF preview) -- but not enough to convince me.

    I'm actually kind of suprised that Nikon didn't forgo the D70s and just
    call the D50 the D70s. The differentiation between the D50/D70/D70s
    (as far as I can tell) is pretty slim.

    On the lens decision, based on my nightly readings I've come up with
    this suite of glass as what I believe to be a nice starter set for a
    new D50 (or D70) owner:

    wide angle: Tokina 12-24/4.0
    indoor low light / general purpose: Nikon 50mm/1.8
    macro/portrait: Tamron 90mm/2.8
    general purpose/portrait/mild zoom: Nikon 35-70mm/2.8

    These collectively aren't cheap (but they aren't expensive compared to
    some lenses).

    -Chris
    , Aug 31, 2005
  16. lacunae Guest

    On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 06:57:32 -0700, furtherside wrote:

    > lacunae wrote:
    >> If you're really going to purchase this lens (and you haven't already
    >> purchased the D50), I would strongly suggest purchasing the D70 kit.
    >> You'll end up with a more fully-featured camera without spending more
    >> money (maybe even saving a few bucks). There shouldn't really be any
    >> dilemma or torture when the situation is better camera, same $$$.

    > Yes, I thought about this...but I convinced myself that the D50 is
    > better for me than the D70. Reasons:
    >
    > - one year newer technology
    > - better image results, lower noise, as reported by dpreview.com
    > - faster USB 2.0 interface versus slow USB 1.1 on the D70

    Actually they are both USB2.0, tho the D50 supports USB2.0-high speed mode
    while the D70 only does USB2.0 "full-speed" (means what you

    Truthfully, I don't think I've even tested the USB cable yet. So much
    more convenient and faster to use either the PC-card CF adapter or a USB
    card reader.

    > True, the D70 has a couple of features over the D50 (the most
    > compelling, IMO, is DOF preview) -- but not enough to convince me.
    >
    > I'm actually kind of suprised that Nikon didn't forgo the D70s and just
    > call the D50 the D70s. The differentiation between the D50/D70/D70s (as
    > far as I can tell) is pretty slim.

    Actually I waited until the D50 was out before choosing the D70 (fortunate
    timing actually as I didn't "need" the camera until july), so that I could
    compare them in person in a camera shop. I think what really finalized my
    decision was the feel of the two cameras in my hand (the D70 felt/fit
    better than the slightly smaller D50) and the front (secondary) dial which
    makes it easier to quickly change certain settings (aperture is the most
    frequent for me). The switchable viewfinder gridlines and backlit top lcd
    are things I use frequently as well (i leave the gridlines on all the
    time). Commander mode on the built-in flash is also kinda nice (tho it
    would be a lot nicer if it could contribute light to the exposure while
    commanding the other flashes).

    Anyways, thats just me, and if the D50 feels/fits you better, great.
    They removed or de-emphasized a number of features from the D70 in order
    to target a slightly different market (ppl moving up from auto-everything
    point&shoots?) and price point, so I'm not at all surprised that they
    came out with both the D70s and the D50. Its a good thing anyways,
    more choices means more people can find something that fits their needs
    and budget.

    lacunae, Aug 31, 2005