Good freeware photo caption program for Windows PC

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Donna, Jun 5, 2006.

  1. Donna

    Donna Guest

    What is a good freeware program for captioning on the Windows PC?

    It seems about weekly I email to my extended family resized, dated, &
    individually captioned digital photographs of the grandchildren.

    Today, I manually resize each photograph with the freeware Irfanview
    (www.irfanview.com). Then I manually date and caption each photo with the
    freeware WinXP Microsoft Paint (after translating to German using a free
    translation website).

    I'm looking for a more efficent freeware resize, date, & caption process.

    Googling, I found & tested these three freeware resizers
    a. Photo Resizer v1.60
    http://www.sharewareriver.com/product.php?id=22446
    b. A32 Resizer v1.1a
    http://www.at32.com/doc/bjbrserv.htm
    c. JPEG Resizer v2.1
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/jresizer.html

    And even a Windows Explorer shell extension which also does captions:
    Photo Gadget Pro http://www.xemico.com/photogadget

    But, I still need the freeware image captioning program.

    Preferably, this freeware caption program would both caption and add EXIF
    or COMMENT data the same as the caption.

    Do you know of a good freeware date/caption/EXIF program for WinXP?

    Donna, Jun 5, 2006

  2. Donna

    Mary Fisher Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 06:49:15 GMT, Donna wrote:
    > Do you know of a good freeware date/caption/EXIF program for WinXP?

    To clarify, I'm looking for a reasonably functional caption program (ie the
    best we can find that is still freeware).

    For example, both IrfanView and MS Paint can do captions, but both
    Irfanview and Paint suffer from having to choose the size of the text box
    before you even write your caption, forcing you to resize or change fonts
    constantly to fit properly.

    Lview Pro, on the other hand, does captioning almost perfectly in that it
    will at least resize the text box as needed and, unlike Irfanview, you can
    see what the caption will look like as you type - but Lview Pro is not
    freeware.

    Besides, Lview Pro doesn't add the caption to the EXIF or COMMENT data of
    the JPEG digital photograph.

    So, even after extensive googling, I would like to ask the experts.....
    Do you know if a freeware caption program exists that
    a. Display captions on the photograph as you type them
    b. Resizes the caption box as needed
    c. Adds the same caption information to the EXIF or COMMENT field

    Mary Fisher, Jun 5, 2006

  3. Mary Fisher wrote:
    > On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 06:49:15 GMT, Donna wrote:
    >
    >>Do you know of a good freeware date/caption/EXIF program for WinXP?

    > To clarify, I'm looking for a reasonably functional caption program (ie the
    > best we can find that is still freeware).
    >
    > For example, both IrfanView and MS Paint can do captions, but both
    > Irfanview and Paint suffer from having to choose the size of the text box
    > before you even write your caption, forcing you to resize or change fonts
    > constantly to fit properly.
    >
    > Lview Pro, on the other hand, does captioning almost perfectly in that it
    > will at least resize the text box as needed and, unlike Irfanview, you can
    > see what the caption will look like as you type - but Lview Pro is not
    > freeware.
    >
    > Besides, Lview Pro doesn't add the caption to the EXIF or COMMENT data of
    > the JPEG digital photograph.
    >
    > So, even after extensive googling, I would like to ask the experts.....
    > Do you know if a freeware caption program exists that
    > a. Display captions on the photograph as you type them
    > b. Resizes the caption box as needed
    > c. Adds the same caption information to the EXIF or COMMENT field

    Exifer is a full-featured EXIF editor, and will even create EXIF
    areas in files that do not yet have them.

    -michael

    Home page: http://members.aol.com/MJMahon/

    "The wastebasket is our most important design
    tool--and it is seriously underused."

    Michael J. Mahon, Jun 5, 2006
  4. Donna

    Onno Voors Guest

    Donna <> wrote in news:1t40eubl9vrbg.15peb9fhbsci9$.dlg@
    40tude.net:

    > I'm looking for a more efficent freeware resize, date, & caption process.

    With MyAlbum you can resize pictures and put comments ad Exif data on them
    in one go:

    http://pmeindre.free.fr/MyAlbum.html

    It's under the Tools> convert & change size (exact wording may be
    different, as I use a localized version)

    --
    Onno Voors

    Onno Voors, Jun 5, 2006
  5. Donna

    lorento Guest

    lorento, Jun 5, 2006
  6. Donna

    nobody Guest

    I think Xnview will suit your needs. Shift+T for the text box.
    Hit the insert btton to access various IPTC and EXIF info to
    insert. What's nice is that no selection on the original image
    is required. You will have your text and be able to move it
    anywhere you want on your photo.

    http://perso.orange.fr/pierre.g/xnview/enxnview.html

    nobody, Jun 5, 2006
  7. Donna

    Dave Guest

    Mary Fisher wrote:
    > On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 06:49:15 GMT, Donna wrote:
    >
    >>Do you know of a good freeware date/caption/EXIF program for WinXP?

    > To clarify, I'm looking for a reasonably functional caption program (ie the
    > best we can find that is still freeware).
    >
    > For example, both IrfanView and MS Paint can do captions, but both
    > Irfanview and Paint suffer from having to choose the size of the text box
    > before you even write your caption, forcing you to resize or change fonts
    > constantly to fit properly.
    >
    > Lview Pro, on the other hand, does captioning almost perfectly in that it
    > will at least resize the text box as needed and, unlike Irfanview, you can
    > see what the caption will look like as you type - but Lview Pro is not
    > freeware.
    >
    > Besides, Lview Pro doesn't add the caption to the EXIF or COMMENT data of
    > the JPEG digital photograph.
    >
    > So, even after extensive googling, I would like to ask the experts.....
    > Do you know if a freeware caption program exists that
    > a. Display captions on the photograph as you type them
    > b. Resizes the caption box as needed
    > c. Adds the same caption information to the EXIF or COMMENT field

    Irfanview will add the comments in the IPTC data with the plug-in from
    the website.

    Dave

    --
    "...voters are not apathetic; rather, they are too deeply concerned
    with the nation's serious problems to be interested in the

    Dave, Jun 5, 2006
  8. Donna

    Richard Guest

    I am looking for just such an item that would plugin to Photoshop CS2.

    I hate using their File Info.

    Any suggestions?

    TIA.

    Richard.

    Richard, Jun 6, 2006
  9. Donna

    Dave Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > I am looking for just such an item that would plugin to Photoshop CS2.
    >
    > I hate using their File Info.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > Richard.
    >
    > On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 06:49:15 GMT, Donna <> wrote:
    >

    >>What is a good freeware program for captioning on the Windows PC?
    >>
    >>It seems about weekly I email to my extended family resized, dated, &
    >>individually captioned digital photographs of the grandchildren.
    >>
    >>Today, I manually resize each photograph with the freeware Irfanview
    >>(www.irfanview.com). Then I manually date and caption each photo with the
    >>freeware WinXP Microsoft Paint (after translating to German using a free
    >>translation website).
    >>
    >>I'm looking for a more efficent freeware resize, date, & caption process.
    >>
    >>Googling, I found & tested these three freeware resizers
    >>a. Photo Resizer v1.60
    >> http://www.sharewareriver.com/product.php?id=22446
    >>b. A32 Resizer v1.1a
    >> http://www.at32.com/doc/bjbrserv.htm
    >>c. JPEG Resizer v2.1
    >> http://www.snapfiles.com/get/jresizer.html
    >>
    >>And even a Windows Explorer shell extension which also does captions:
    >>Photo Gadget Pro http://www.xemico.com/photogadget
    >>
    >>But, I still need the freeware image captioning program.
    >>
    >>Preferably, this freeware caption program would both caption and add EXIF
    >>or COMMENT data the same as the caption.
    >>
    >>Do you know of a good freeware date/caption/EXIF program for WinXP?

    Irfanview can add the comments in the IPTC data with the plug-in from
    the website

    Dave

    Dave, Jun 6, 2006
  10. Donna

    George Guest

    Donna,

    You should try PhotoMeister. It makes slide shows automatically and is
    the perfect companion to a digital camera.

    http://www.photomeister.com

    George

    George, Jun 12, 2006