Good Freeware Hardware testing Utilities?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Pacific Dragon, Jan 5, 2005.

  1. Currently I'm trying to troubleshoot a work mate's computer. Apparently
    he started having trouble with the system from the day that he brought
    it and For the last few days, he's been getting me to go to his house to
    have a look at various issues. The latest problem he now has is that
    when he goes to shuts down or reboot, he gets Blue Screen of Death that
    doesn't say much about the error except 0x0000007 (0x0000000, 0x0000000,
    0x0000000, 0x0000000), no modules were stated in the BSOD. Also if he
    claims that if he tries to do a system restore, he also gets a BSOD.

    Too be honest, I'm getting tired of this as it's eating into my Annual
    break. Personally I think his XP pro install is butchered and it's time
    to start a fresh by wiping everything and reinstalling windows XP.
    Suspect it all started when one of his sons tried to apply a crack to a
    game.

    Before I wipe his system clean and reinstall everything for him, I wish
    to test that the hardware is in the clear.
    Does anyone know of any good freeware utilities to actually give a good
    smoke test of the system, in order to verify that the hardware
    components aren't faulty, is stable and that it is all in good working
    order? In particular to test his ATI Radeon 9600 Video card (he's been
    complaining that his son's games keep crashing to the desktop),
    Motherboard, CPU, etc. Currently all I know about is Memtest86 for
    testing the RAM modules. I will continue to google around, but if
    anyone has suggestion as to which ones are good, It would be much
    appreciated.

    Thanks.
    Pacific Dragon, Jan 5, 2005

  2. Pacific Dragon

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Pacific Dragon <> wrote in news:341umaF45seluU1
    @individual.net:

    > I will continue to google around, but if
    > anyone has suggestion as to which ones are good, It would be much
    > appreciated.

    The hard drive will come with it's own diagnostic from the manufacturer's
    web site.
    Installing an OS is a decent work out. Try an XP repair first. Slipstream
    SP2 onto the repair CD and have at her.
    There is a Linux OS dedicated to gaming and overclocking called
    Overclockix, you could try that.
    http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=overclockix
    Maybe just pulling the drive and scanning for viruses in a known clean
    machine will find something.
    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jan 5, 2005

  3. On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 23:47:24 +1300, Pacific Dragon <>
    wrote:

    >Currently I'm trying to troubleshoot a work mate's computer. Apparently
    >he started having trouble with the system from the day that he brought
    >it and For the last few days, he's been getting me to go to his house to
    >have a look at various issues. The latest problem he now has is that
    >when he goes to shuts down or reboot, he gets Blue Screen of Death that
    >doesn't say much about the error except 0x0000007 (0x0000000, 0x0000000,
    >0x0000000, 0x0000000), no modules were stated in the BSOD. Also if he
    >claims that if he tries to do a system restore, he also gets a BSOD.
    >
    >Too be honest, I'm getting tired of this as it's eating into my Annual
    >break. Personally I think his XP pro install is butchered and it's time
    >to start a fresh by wiping everything and reinstalling windows XP.
    >Suspect it all started when one of his sons tried to apply a crack to a
    >game.
    >
    >Before I wipe his system clean and reinstall everything for him, I wish
    >to test that the hardware is in the clear.
    >Does anyone know of any good freeware utilities to actually give a good
    >smoke test of the system, in order to verify that the hardware
    >components aren't faulty, is stable and that it is all in good working
    >order? In particular to test his ATI Radeon 9600 Video card (he's been
    >complaining that his son's games keep crashing to the desktop),
    >Motherboard, CPU, etc. Currently all I know about is Memtest86 for
    >testing the RAM modules. I will continue to google around, but if
    >anyone has suggestion as to which ones are good, It would be much
    >appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks.

    Yes and the Crack had a Virus in it..

    Use P2P..

    These few come to mind, Microscope, PC Certify , PC Clinic, Quicktec,
    PC-Doctor are all commercial, I do not know of any free ones except for a Ram
    tester that is from a commercial firm but free for home use..
    http://www.simmtester.com/

    Just a thought this Russian web site has some test software that is free.

    http://www.digit-life.com/

    All these listed run under DOS..

    So I hope your PC has a Floppy.
    BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au, Jan 5, 2005
  4. Pacific Dragon

    Mercury Guest

    STOP 0x00000007 is detailed here:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/w2kmsgs/1123.asp

    If this is a new system and the owner has not fiddled inside the box, take
    it back. If they have downloaded spyware / virus / installed trash then
    educate them, get a firewall / install XP SP2 & AV with a fresh install.
    etc.

    Memrory testing:

    http://www.memtest86.com/

    Try Prime95 for CPU / system core testing.
    Try repeated booting for overall testing.

    Mercury, Jan 5, 2005
  5. On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 23:47:24 +1300, Pacific Dragon wrote:

    > Currently I'm trying to troubleshoot a work mate's computer. Apparently
    > he started having trouble with the system from the day that he brought
    > it and For the last few days, he's been getting me to go to his house to
    > have a look at various issues. The latest problem he now has is that
    > when he goes to shuts down or reboot, he gets Blue Screen of Death that
    > doesn't say much about the error except 0x0000007 (0x0000000, 0x0000000,
    > 0x0000000, 0x0000000), no modules were stated in the BSOD. Also if he
    > claims that if he tries to do a system restore, he also gets a BSOD.
    >
    > Too be honest, I'm getting tired of this as it's eating into my Annual
    > break. Personally I think his XP pro install is butchered and it's time
    > to start a fresh by wiping everything and reinstalling windows XP.
    > Suspect it all started when one of his sons tried to apply a crack to a
    > game.
    >
    > Before I wipe his system clean and reinstall everything for him, I wish
    > to test that the hardware is in the clear.
    > Does anyone know of any good freeware utilities to actually give a good
    > smoke test of the system, in order to verify that the hardware
    > components aren't faulty, is stable and that it is all in good working
    > order? In particular to test his ATI Radeon 9600 Video card (he's been
    > complaining that his son's games keep crashing to the desktop),
    > Motherboard, CPU, etc. Currently all I know about is Memtest86 for
    > testing the RAM modules. I will continue to google around, but if
    > anyone has suggestion as to which ones are good, It would be much
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.

    I always have a copy of this boot cd handy - many tools on it.

    http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/

    Check your memory for bad bits and the hard drive for bad sectors.
    Have a good look to see that the PC is cooling correctly. Check the fans
    are actually working, for example.

    Game crashes are typically due to out of date drivers, overheating issues
    or possibly spyware crap.

    Have a check for spyware/viruses with Hijack This
    http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html

    Of course if have some nasty virus you probably should reinstall from
    scratch as it may have installed a backdoor.

    Quite frankly, reinstalling Windows XP would be the last resort as you end
    up with the "Oh but it wasn't like that originally complaints"
    wogers nemesis, Jan 5, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    says...
    > Thanks for all your suggestions, If anyone else has any possible
    > suggestion, please post them.

    Sisoft Sandra
    aida32

    both good sysinfo tools.

    Incidentally, somebody suggested XP service pack2: my comp was running
    fine until I installed fsking XP Service Pack 2 - now most of my games
    crash, and I have even started to get bsod today:
    page_fault_in_non_paged_area -- this is after already uninstalling SP2
    AND doing a repair install of XP w. SP1. <sigh> either my hardware is
    throwing a wobbly, or SP2 has laid a dragon's egg into my registry that
    wasn't fixed by uninstalling it. I tend to believe the latter.

    -Peter
    Peter Huebner, Jan 6, 2005
  7. Pacific Dragon

    Mercury Guest

    I would err on the side of hardware or device drivers - graphics, network,
    or possibly ram.
    Do you have any other details? Take a look in the event log... any drivers
    mentioned?

    Mercury, Jan 6, 2005