    Anyone advise on what is a good free newsgroup provider these days?
    Previous one - news.svr.pol.co.uk recently decided to stop providing.
    John.

    John Brown, Feb 15, 2007

  2. John Brown

    Guest

    , Feb 15, 2007

  3. In news:,
    <> typed:
    > "John Brown" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone advise on what is a good free newsgroup provider these days?
    >> Previous one - news.svr.pol.co.uk recently decided to stop providing.
    >> John.

    > This has been answered many times here http://tinyurl.com/3yvgxl
    >
    > Myself and others use http://news.individual.net/ it's not free but
    > around $13 US a year it's close, it's a text only feed, no binaries.

    It's very good. There are several others that charge a small setup fee, and
    are free after that. The completely free ones can be good, but they tend to
    be run by small oufits. They come and they go - have a look at
    alt.free.newsservers.

    Oksana Gutteridge, Feb 15, 2007
  4. On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 08:13:40 -0000, "John Brown" <>
    wrote:

    >Anyone advise on what is a good free newsgroup provider these days?
    >Previous one - news.svr.pol.co.uk recently decided to stop providing.
    >John.

    A good free one for text groups is Datemas Internet News Server
    news.datemas.de. http://news.datemas.de/

    You need to email them an email address and password which they will
    confirm and allow you to login with the details you have provided.
    --

    John

    John Morrison, Feb 15, 2007
  5. John Brown

    Mike Easter Guest

    John Morrison wrote:
    > "John Brown"

    >> Anyone advise on what is a good free newsgroup provider these days?

    > A good free one for text groups is Datemas Internet News Server
    > news.datemas.de. http://news.datemas.de/
    >
    > You need to email them an email address and password which they will
    > confirm and allow you to login with the details you have provided.

    http://news.datemas.de/ Look here for announcements
    <snip>
    2007-02-15 18:34h: Tomorrow 16th Feb. from 09:00h to 12:00h UTC (GMT)
    2007-02-16 the news server will be offline. We move news.datemas.de to
    another server with more disk space. The server's IP will change. The
    hostname for readers/posters will remain "news.datemas.de". The hostname
    for nntp-servers with whom we exchange will change, see peering.

    2007-02-08: 17:40h: Registration of new users is temporarily suspended
    until we can distiguish them from those, whom we cancelled because of
    t.heir abuse. We do not register new users until further notice.
    </snip>

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Feb 15, 2007
  6. John Brown

    Mike Easter Guest

    Oksana Gutteridge wrote:

    >> "John Brown"
    >>
    >>> Anyone advise on what is a good free newsgroup provider these days?

    >> Myself and others use http://news.individual.net/ it's not free but
    >> around $13 US a year it's close, it's a text only feed, no binaries.

    > It's very good. There are several others that charge a small setup
    > fee, and are free after that. The completely free ones can be good,
    > but they tend to be run by small oufits. They come and they go - have
    > a look at alt.free.newsservers.

    Individual is a very good newsserver, but at $13/y there are many others
    which are cheaper. Besides those which are free or nearly free, some
    commercial newsservers sell non-expiring blocks.

    For text only, it would be much cheaper to buy a non-expiring block than
    to pay individual $13/y.

    The last I checked around, depending upon what size block you wanted,
    the providers octanews, usenet-news, and astraweb all had a more
    economical deal than individual. The advantage to the nonexpiring
    commercial NSP is that you can also access a binary group if you wanted
    to.

    Some blocks are as cheap as $2, which is a better deal than what
    teranews calls free.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Feb 15, 2007
  7. On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 12:34:46 -0800, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:

    >John Morrison wrote:
    >> "John Brown"

    >>> Anyone advise on what is a good free newsgroup provider these days?

    >> A good free one for text groups is Datemas Internet News Server
    >> news.datemas.de. http://news.datemas.de/
    >>
    >> You need to email them an email address and password which they will
    >> confirm and allow you to login with the details you have provided.

    >http://news.datemas.de/ Look here for announcements
    ><snip>
    >2007-02-15 18:34h: Tomorrow 16th Feb. from 09:00h to 12:00h UTC (GMT)
    >2007-02-16 the news server will be offline. We move news.datemas.de to
    >another server with more disk space. The server's IP will change. The
    >hostname for readers/posters will remain "news.datemas.de". The hostname
    >for nntp-servers with whom we exchange will change, see peering.
    >
    >2007-02-08: 17:40h: Registration of new users is temporarily suspended
    >until we can distiguish them from those, whom we cancelled because of
    >t.heir abuse. We do not register new users until further notice.
    ></snip>

    Sorry I wasn't aware that they had temporarily suspended registration.
    --

    John

    John Morrison, Feb 16, 2007
  8. On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 08:13:40 -0000
    "John Brown" <> wrote:

    > Anyone advise on what is a good free newsgroup provider these days?
    > Previous one - news.svr.pol.co.uk recently decided to stop providing.
    > John.

    aioe.org
    motzarella.org must register
    teranews.com 3 dollar registration fee

    --

    Brian (not wanting to be a messiah): "You are all individuals..."
    Crowd (in unison): "We are all individuals..."

    http://www.spampoison.com
    http://www.lecb.ncifcrf.gov/~toms/spam/trap.html

    noalternative, Feb 16, 2007
  9. John Brown

    Mike Easter Guest

    John Morrison wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> Registration of new users is temporarily
    >> suspended

    > Sorry I wasn't aware that they had temporarily suspended registration.

    Quite a number of the newsservers I presently use I hooked up with
    during the time they were accessible for registration, but they aren't
    currently open..

    In this case, datemas hasn't been closed very long, but some others that
    opened for a while have been closed for a very long time. Maybe datemas
    will stay closed too.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Feb 16, 2007