    1. Advertising

  2. Imhotep

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 20:14:56 GMT, Imhotep <> wrote:

    <snip>

    A bad example of a message with no content, and the
    DCMA is irrelevent outside the USA

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Aug 11, 2005

  3. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    ?

    > and the
    > DCMA is irrelevent outside the USA

    Think again. They are pushing laws outside of the US...don't you read
    anything? Instead of posting stupid comments try something new. READ
    SOMETHING. Then you might actually possess enough knowledge to actually
    have and intelligent conversation....

    Imhotep, Aug 11, 2005
  4. Imhotep

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 22:10:25 GMT, Imhotep <> wrote:

    >Jim Watt wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 20:14:56 GMT, Imhotep <> wrote:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> A bad example of a message with no content,

    >?
    >
    >> and the
    >> DCMA is irrelevent outside the USA

    >Think again. They are pushing laws outside of the US.

    Push all you want, they still don't apply.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Aug 12, 2005
  5. Imhotep

    Unruh Guest

    Jim Watt <_way> writes:

    >On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 20:14:56 GMT, Imhotep <> wrote:

    ><snip>

    >A bad example of a message with no content, and the
    >DCMA is irrelevent outside the USA

    Since you snipped the content, yes. I do agree that simply posting a url
    without telling people what is in it and why they should read it is very
    bad internet ettiquette.
    And yes, sometimes discussions go on that are parochial. Sometimes they are
    parochial to Europe, sometimes the USA, occasionally even Canada.

    Unruh, Aug 12, 2005
  6. Imhotep

    Unruh Guest

    Jim Watt <_way> writes:

    >On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 22:10:25 GMT, Imhotep <> wrote:

    >>Jim Watt wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 20:14:56 GMT, Imhotep <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> A bad example of a message with no content,

    >>?
    >>
    >>> and the
    >>> DCMA is irrelevent outside the USA

    >>Think again. They are pushing laws outside of the US.

    >Push all you want, they still don't apply.

    Which was why a Russian programmer, who wrote his software in Russia, was
    arrested when he visited the USA for violating the DMCA, and spent a few
    weeks in jail.

    Unruh, Aug 12, 2005
  7. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Unruh wrote:

    > Jim Watt <_way> writes:

    >>>?

    >>>Think again. They are pushing laws outside of the US.

    >>Push all you want, they still don't apply.

    > Which was why a Russian programmer, who wrote his software in Russia, was
    > arrested when he visited the USA for violating the DMCA, and spent a few
    > weeks in jail.

    Really, they are pushing the laws overseas. In Canada, EU, everywhere. I
    think it is naive to say "It is only in the US, we do not have to worry".
    The point is this is a group that has very deep pockets and will use their
    resources to push their agenda....

    Imhotep

    Imhotep, Aug 12, 2005
  8. Imhotep

    Jim Watt Guest

    On 12 Aug 2005 16:12:24 GMT, Unruh <> wrote:

    >Jim Watt <_way> writes:

    >>>?

    >>>Think again. They are pushing laws outside of the US.

    >>Push all you want, they still don't apply.

    >Which was why a Russian programmer, who wrote his software in Russia, was
    >arrested when he visited the USA for violating the DMCA, and spent a few
    >weeks in jail.

    I wan't planning a visit this year as it would require a new
    passport. According to the US embassy website, next year
    will require yet another new 'biometric' passport the design
    of which has not been finalsied as yet.

    I believe the Russian (who cracked Adobe pdf protection)
    was released as there was no legal basis to persecute him;
    he came to talk about copy protection at a conference.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Aug 12, 2005
  9. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Unruh wrote:

    > Jim Watt <_way> writes:
    >
    >>On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 20:14:56 GMT, Imhotep <> wrote:

    >><snip>

    >>A bad example of a message with no content, and the
    >>DCMA is irrelevent outside the USA

    > Since you snipped the content, yes. I do agree that simply posting a url
    > without telling people what is in it and why they should read it is very
    > bad internet ettiquette.
    > And yes, sometimes discussions go on that are parochial. Sometimes they
    > are parochial to Europe, sometimes the USA, occasionally even Canada.

    ....sometimes I do post a link without much verbage. However, I describe it
    well in the subject. I have before typed some text and included the link
    but, I found that sometimes people would post a comment WITHOUT even
    reading the article. I found this most insulting. Not only did they comment
    without reading it but, I wasted time talking about the article with
    someone who did not even read it. So now, I include a nice description in
    the subject...

    Imhotep, Aug 12, 2005
  10. Imhotep

    Jim Watt Guest

    orOn 12 Aug 2005 16:10:24 GMT, Unruh <>
    wrote:

    >Jim Watt <_way> writes:
    >
    >>On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 20:14:56 GMT, Imhotep <> wrote:

    >><snip>

    >>A bad example of a message with no content, and the
    >>DCMA is irrelevent outside the USA

    >Since you snipped the content, yes. I do agree that simply posting a url
    >without telling people what is in it and why they should read it is very
    >bad internet ettiquette.
    >And yes, sometimes discussions go on that are parochial. Sometimes they are
    >parochial to Europe, sometimes the USA, occasionally even Canada.

    Content? there was none, just a URL However I agree
    with you and when I do that include an excerpt to indicate
    what the reference is about so people can judge if its
    pertinent.

    There is, incidentally a new set of laws based on an EU
    directive covering copyright and the protection of intellectual
    property.

    Not sure about the UK version, which is probably online
    but the local version runs to some 768 pages, longer
    than the DMCA but actually contains a lot of sense
    and protection for everyone.

    The issue of the US trying to extend its laws extraterritorially
    is one that will become important in relation to gambling etc on
    the net.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Aug 12, 2005
  11. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:

    > orOn 12 Aug 2005 16:10:24 GMT, Unruh <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Jim Watt <_way> writes:
    >>
    >>>On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 20:14:56 GMT, Imhotep <> wrote:

    >>><snip>

    >>>A bad example of a message with no content, and the
    >>>DCMA is irrelevent outside the USA

    >>Since you snipped the content, yes. I do agree that simply posting a url
    >>without telling people what is in it and why they should read it is very
    >>bad internet ettiquette.
    >>And yes, sometimes discussions go on that are parochial. Sometimes they
    >>are parochial to Europe, sometimes the USA, occasionally even Canada.

    > Content? there was none, just a URL However I agree
    > with you and when I do that include an excerpt to indicate
    > what the reference is about so people can judge if its
    > pertinent.
    >
    > There is, incidentally a new set of laws based on an EU
    > directive covering copyright and the protection of intellectual
    > property.
    >
    > Not sure about the UK version, which is probably online
    > but the local version runs to some 768 pages, longer
    > than the DMCA but actually contains a lot of sense
    > and protection for everyone.
    >
    > The issue of the US trying to extend its laws extraterritorially
    > is one that will become important in relation to gambling etc on
    > the net.
    >

    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com