    either...

    Thanks,
    James

    James Russell, Jan 4, 2004

  2. James Russell

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "James Russell" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Can anyone recommend any good DVD player software I could find online?
    >
    > Currently using Xing, but it doesn't seem to perform well.
    > Obviously after something that allows multiple regions...
    >
    > I can't remember why now but the generic windows one wasn't any good
    > either...
    >
    > Thanks,
    > James

    Have you tried the MS Media Player? Depending what version you have and
    what you system is like.
    One player. Just check the file types for "DVD".
    Another player to try is InterActual Player 2.0 - which is free with some
    DVD movies, and can easily be found on the Net. You might just need a
    decent codec. If you've tried WinDVD then you'll have the codec.
    DVD Genie should handle any region problems.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jan 4, 2004

  3. James Russell

    Lebowski Guest

    > Can anyone recommend any good DVD player software I could find online?
    >
    > Currently using Xing, but it doesn't seem to perform well.
    > Obviously after something that allows multiple regions...
    >
    > I can't remember why now but the generic windows one wasn't any good
    > either...
    >
    > Thanks,
    > James

    Get Power DVD and use DVD Genie in conjunction with it to break down the
    region protection. DVD Genie doesn't seem to work with Windows Media Player
    region-crackingwise, that may be why you weren't that amused with what WMP
    had to offer (also lack of viewing features / options). But yeah, Power DVD
    with DVD Genie does the trick brilliantly. I guess you've already cracked
    the firmware on your DVD drive to unlock all regions..

    Lebowski, Jan 4, 2004
  4. James Russell

    steve Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 18:17:40 +1300, James Russell wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend any good DVD player software I could find online?
    >
    > Currently using Xing, but it doesn't seem to perform well.
    > Obviously after something that allows multiple regions...
    >
    > I can't remember why now but the generic windows one wasn't any good
    > either...

    If you find it hard on Windows, try Xine on Linux.

    It pays no attention whatever to region codes.....and works very well.

    I was just watching "Blade Runner: The Director's Cut" on it a few minutes
    ago.

    steve, Jan 4, 2004
  5. James Russell

    Lennier Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 23:40:27 +1300, steve wrote:

    > If you find it hard on Windows, try Xine on Linux.
    >
    > It pays no attention whatever to region codes.....and works very well.
    >
    > I was just watching "Blade Runner: The Director's Cut" on it a few minutes
    > ago.

    how well does it handle multi-channel surround sound?

    Lennier

    Lennier, Jan 4, 2004
  6. James Russell

    steve Guest

    Lennier allegedly said:

    > On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 23:40:27 +1300, steve wrote:
    >
    >> If you find it hard on Windows, try Xine on Linux.
    >>
    >> It pays no attention whatever to region codes.....and works very well.
    >>
    >> I was just watching "Blade Runner: The Director's Cut" on it a few
    >> minutes ago.

    > how well does it handle multi-channel surround sound?
    >
    > Lennier

    On Xine, dolby 5.1 is supported.....and the rest is up to ALSA or OSS and
    your sound card. The SB Live support is excellent.

    For dolby on linux with DVDs check this out:

    http://dvd.sourceforge.net/xine-howto/en_GB/html/howto-4.html

    I prefer ALSA....which definitely supports it.

    steve, Jan 6, 2004
  7. James Russell

    Lennier Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 20:46:23 +1300, steve wrote:

    >> how well does it handle multi-channel surround sound?

    > On Xine, dolby 5.1 is supported.....and the rest is up to ALSA or OSS and
    > your sound card. The SB Live support is excellent.
    >
    > For dolby on linux with DVDs check this out:
    >
    > http://dvd.sourceforge.net/xine-howto/en_GB/html/howto-4.html
    >
    > I prefer ALSA....which definitely supports it.

    Thanks for the link and the info - appreciated.

    Lennier

    Lennier, Jan 6, 2004
  8. Lennier wrote:
    > On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 20:46:23 +1300, steve wrote:
    >

    >>>how well does it handle multi-channel surround sound?

    >>On Xine, dolby 5.1 is supported.....and the rest is up to ALSA or OSS and
    >>your sound card. The SB Live support is excellent.
    >>
    >>For dolby on linux with DVDs check this out:
    >>
    >>http://dvd.sourceforge.net/xine-howto/en_GB/html/howto-4.html
    >>
    >>I prefer ALSA....which definitely supports it.

    > Thanks for the link and the info - appreciated.
    >
    > Lennier

    Xine + ALSA also does DTS aka AC5 very nicely through my SBLive 5.1.
    It just did it, no head scratching reqd.

    Graeme

    Graeme Woollett, Jan 7, 2004
  9. James Russell

    pete Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 23:57:50 +1300, Lennier wrote:

    > On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 20:46:23 +1300, steve wrote:
    >
    >>> how well does it handle multi-channel surround sound?

    >> On Xine, dolby 5.1 is supported.....and the rest is up to ALSA or OSS and
    >> your sound card. The SB Live support is excellent.
    >>
    >> For dolby on linux with DVDs check this out:
    >>
    >> http://dvd.sourceforge.net/xine-howto/en_GB/html/howto-4.html
    >>
    >> I prefer ALSA....which definitely supports it.

    > Thanks for the link and the info - appreciated.
    >
    > Lennier

    Hey Len, what newsreader are you posting with? Someone here (possibly
    yourself) recommended 40titude Dialog, so I'm trying that. It's pretty
    neat, and whenever one of your posts is read, there is a little picture in
    the top right of the article panel. How do you do that?

    pete, Jan 7, 2004
  10. James Russell

    bambam Guest

    pete <> wrote in

    > Hey Len, what newsreader are you posting with? Someone here
    > (possibly yourself) recommended 40titude Dialog, so I'm trying
    > that. It's pretty neat, and whenever one of your posts is read,
    > there is a little picture in the top right of the article panel.
    > How do you do that?

    I'm not Len, but I might be able to help anyway.
    It's an X-Face, which is a black and white image 48*48 pixels in
    size.
    First you need to select an image that you like, resize it, convert
    it to black and white, then run it through an online converter-

    http://www.dairiki.org/xface/

    Or use a converter program on your HDD-

    http://www.xs4all.nl/~walterln/winface/

    Either of these ways will give you a string of text that you put into
    the headers of your post, have a look at my headers for X-Face, then
    newsreaders that support this feature will display them. :)

    --
    I plan on living forever. So far, so good.

    bambam, Jan 7, 2004
  11. James Russell

    Lennier Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 20:35:02 +1300, pete wrote:

    > Hey Len, what newsreader are you posting with? Someone here (possibly
    > yourself) recommended 40titude Dialog, so I'm trying that. It's pretty
    > neat, and whenever one of your posts is read, there is a little picture in
    > the top right of the article panel. How do you do that?

    I am using Pan (on Linux) as my NG reader.

    The picture is called an X-face.

    Do a google search on X-face to find the website...

    Lennier

    Lennier, Jan 7, 2004