    settings to change on ROXIO. Also, should it be converted to MPEG,
    AVI, ETC? I want the best possible quality to transfer to DVD.

    Thanks!

    kesmon, Oct 26, 2004

  2. kesmon

    Mike Fields Guest

    Not sure exactly what you mean by "capture" -- the transfer
    of DV from camera to computer via 1394 (firewire)) is
    (usually ;-) ) a lossless process -- digital data only goes
    across the interface. I use Scenalyzer to capture / split my
    DV into segments http://www.scenalyzer.com and it works
    great, but many programs will import the data from the camera
    via the firewire. There should be no signal degradation -- if
    anything is lost, it is usually in the form of dropped frames which
    are very noticeable in a jumpy picture. Editing the DV avi file
    on your computer is a different matter and does affect the quality.
    There are a number of editors out there Vegas is good, Sony
    Screenblast is good, Ulead Media Studio Pro is good there are
    others in various price ranges with various features - search for
    video editors (and look through the back threads in rec.video.desktop)
    for good information.

    mikey

    Mike Fields, Oct 27, 2004

  3. "kesmon" wrote ...
    > What is a good capture software for home movies (DV via 1394)?
    > I have used Roxio, but the quality seems OK at best. There are
    > very few settings to change on ROXIO.

    Dunno why there would be *any* settings. "Capture" of DV via
    Firewire is really just a one-for-one transfer of the bitstream from
    the camcorder to a disk file. Should be completely neutral to
    "quality". Remember we're talking digital here.

    > Also, should it be converted to MPEG, AVI, ETC? I want the
    > best possible quality to transfer to DVD.

    Hard to answer without knowing what the rest of your system
    is. For example, what are you using to author and burn DVDs?

    Richard Crowley, Oct 27, 2004
  4. kesmon

    Steve K. Guest

    iMovie