    know from experience it can cause you a lot of bother if you delete the
    wrong ones.

    ---
    AK, Oct 25, 2003

  2. AK wrote:

    > Each time I come off the internet I have to run Ad-Aware because of
    > spyware. I have must have a hundred cookies or more on file and I don't
    > have a clue what there all for? Some are easy to identify as they will
    > have the name of something I recognise in them, but others give no
    > indication of what there used for. Is there any safe way of identified and
    > deleting them as I know from experience it can cause you a lot of bother
    > if you delete the wrong ones.
    >

    > ---

    1. Please lose the AVG signature. It is broken (it should be only two dashes
    and a space, rather than three dashes), and it is utterly meaningless when
    posting text messages in a text-only NEWSgroup.

    2. The "good" cookies are the ones which a site uses to identify you on
    return visits. If you enter a username and password and ask the site to
    "remember me," that sets a cookie. There are also "session only" cookies
    used by sites which have shopping carts, etc., as a way of keeping track of
    you during a visit. But those cookies should expire as soon as you close
    your browser and not stick around in your cookie file.

    I use Mozilla as my browser, and I have it inform me of every time a site
    wants to set a cookie. You can generally tell pretty easily when to let a
    cookie be set and when not to. (Examples of when not to: the cookie expires
    in ten years, or it has your email address in it.)

    Don't wait until a cookie has been set and then go through and clean them
    out afterward. Catch them as they are offered. Mozilla is not the only
    browser that will do this.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    Gary G. Taylor, Oct 25, 2003

  3. AK

    Shep© Guest

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 22:21:52 +0100, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "AK" <>
    wrote :

    >Each time I come off the internet I have to run Ad-Aware because of
    >spyware. I have must have a hundred cookies or more on file and I don't have
    >a clue what there all for? Some are easy to identify as they will have the
    >name of something I recognise in them, but others give no indication of what
    >there used for. Is there any safe way of identified and deleting them as I
    >know from experience it can cause you a lot of bother if you delete the
    >wrong ones.

    All cookies are temp files and can be cleared.Any page requiring them
    will place them back.You should clean out ALL your Temporary Internet
    Folders on a regular basis and also your Temp folders.
    For win95/98 you can use the free,"Clearbat" for this,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/freeprog.html
    Or use,"Spider" for all O/S,
    http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/freefile/story/0,24330,3408539,00.html

    HTH :)
    Shep©, Oct 25, 2003
  4. AK

    trout Guest

    AK wrote:

    > Each time I come off the internet I have to run Ad-Aware because of
    > spyware. I have must have a hundred cookies or more on file and I
    > don't have a clue what there all for? Some are easy to identify as
    > they will have the name of something I recognise in them, but others
    > give no indication of what there used for. Is there any safe way of
    > identified and deleting them as I know from experience it can cause
    > you a lot of bother if you delete the wrong ones.

    First; I'd also use Spybot Search & Destroy
    <http://security.kolla.de/>
    to make sure you don't have any data-miners.
    I'd also (my opinion) err on the side of safety, and go ahead and
    delete any cookies that were utterly unrecognizable. The ones you truly
    *need* shouldn't be that hard to identify, and I'd rather re-enter
    information on a site or two than have spy-critters.
    Once you have them under control, you should install a
    cookie-management program. There will probably be a few mentioned in the
    thread. I like WinPatrol (free version)
    <http://www.winpatrol.com/winpatrolplus.html>
    which also alerts to other potential problems like program installations
    and items added to the Start Menu.
    --
    "Makes the process more transparent."
    trout, Oct 25, 2003
  5. AK

    TRADESMAN Guest

    AK wrote:
    > Each time I come off the internet I have to run Ad-Aware because of
    > spyware. I have must have a hundred cookies or more on file and I
    > don't have a clue what there all for? Some are easy to identify as
    > they will have the name of something I recognise in them, but others
    > give no indication of what there used for. Is there any safe way of
    > identified and deleting them as I know from experience it can cause
    > you a lot of bother if you delete the wrong ones.
    >

    > ---

    If you launch the Ad - Aware knowledge base, it tells you all you want to
    know about cookies underFAQs.
    It also tells you how to d/l a cookie wall from AnologX.
    It's a great little program giving complete cookie conrol and is very simple
    to configure. It's also free!
    TRADESMAN, Oct 25, 2003
  6. AK

    AK Guest

    How do I remove the Ad-Aware Signature?
    "Gary G. Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > AK wrote:
    >
    > > Each time I come off the internet I have to run Ad-Aware because of
    > > spyware. I have must have a hundred cookies or more on file and I don't
    > > have a clue what there all for? Some are easy to identify as they will
    > > have the name of something I recognise in them, but others give no
    > > indication of what there used for. Is there any safe way of identified

    and
    > > deleting them as I know from experience it can cause you a lot of bother
    > > if you delete the wrong ones.
    > >

    > > ---

    > 1. Please lose the AVG signature. It is broken (it should be only two

    dashes
    > and a space, rather than three dashes), and it is utterly meaningless when
    > posting text messages in a text-only NEWSgroup.
    >
    > 2. The "good" cookies are the ones which a site uses to identify you on
    > return visits. If you enter a username and password and ask the site to
    > "remember me," that sets a cookie. There are also "session only" cookies
    > used by sites which have shopping carts, etc., as a way of keeping track

    of
    > you during a visit. But those cookies should expire as soon as you close
    > your browser and not stick around in your cookie file.
    >
    > I use Mozilla as my browser, and I have it inform me of every time a site
    > wants to set a cookie. You can generally tell pretty easily when to let a
    > cookie be set and when not to. (Examples of when not to: the cookie

    expires
    > in ten years, or it has your email address in it.)
    >
    > Don't wait until a cookie has been set and then go through and clean them
    > out afterward. Catch them as they are offered. Mozilla is not the only
    > browser that will do this.
    >
    > --
    > Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    > gary at donavan dot org / http:// geetee dot donavan dot org
    > "The two most abundant things in the universe
    > are hydrogen and stupidity." --Harlan Ellison

    ---
    AK, Oct 25, 2003
  7. AK

    Sherlock Guest

    Its a good idea to delete all your cookies once a week or so. Lots of
    cookies contain viruses lately.

    Sherlock, Oct 25, 2003
  8. AK

    trout Guest

    AK wrote:

    > How do I remove the Ad-Aware Signature?

    That's the *AVG* signature. Open the Control Center, click on the
    "E-mail Scanner" tab, and uncheck "Certify outgoing messages"
    --
    "Much 'cleaner' posts."
    trout, Oct 25, 2003
  9. AK

    Shep© Guest

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 23:21:06 +0100, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    wrote :

    >Why is my Email address 'Alex Kaye' showing here in this post, even though
    >I Munged it? I think that how it's pronounced?

    I don't use OE but munge it in two places in the news section IIRC.

    Shep©, Oct 25, 2003
  10. AK

    AK Guest

    "Shep©" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 22:21:52 +0100, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    > invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "AK" <>
    > wrote :
    >
    > >Each time I come off the internet I have to run Ad-Aware because of
    > >spyware. I have must have a hundred cookies or more on file and I don't

    have
    > >a clue what there all for? Some are easy to identify as they will have

    the
    > >name of something I recognise in them, but others give no indication of

    what
    > >there used for. Is there any safe way of identified and deleting them as

    > >know from experience it can cause you a lot of bother if you delete the
    > >wrong ones.

    > All cookies are temp files and can be cleared.Any page requiring them
    > will place them back.You should clean out ALL your Temporary Internet
    > Folders on a regular basis and also your Temp folders.
    > For win95/98 you can use the free,"Clearbat" for this,
    > http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/freeprog.html
    > Or use,"Spider" for all O/S,
    > http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/freefile/story/0,24330,3408539,00.html
    >
    > HTH :)

    ---
    AK, Oct 25, 2003
  11. AK

    Darkhorse Guest

    "Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > Its a good idea to delete all your cookies once a week or so. Lots of
    > cookies contain viruses lately.

    Please explain...
    Darkhorse, Oct 25, 2003
  12. AK

    trout Guest

    AK wrote:

    > Why is my Email address 'Alex Kaye' showing here in this post, even
    > though I Munged it? I think that how it's pronounced?

    I was going to ask you the same thing. I see your "Display" name is
    different, also. Do you have more than one news account?
    (Under Tools > Accounts > News; are there more than one listed?)
    I was wondering if you had created more accounts, instead of munging
    the original one....
    --
    "Is it my imagination, or have there been *several* changes?"
    trout, Oct 25, 2003
  13. AK

    Stevo Guest

    AK wrote:
    > Why is my Email address 'Alex Kaye' showing here in this post, even
    > though I Munged it? I think that how it's pronounced?

    Probably because you haven't munged it correctly...

    In the setting for your *news* account, apply your munge to both the e-mail
    and reply address fields.

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)
    Stevo, Oct 25, 2003
  14. AK

    TRADESMAN Guest

    Don't you mean spyware?

    TRADESMAN, Oct 25, 2003
  15. AK

    AK Guest

    My Computer History:
    I am a complete novice when it comes to computer skills and have only made
    changes to my computer because of the help I have been getting from you
    people. I have registered and re-registered with this site so many times
    that I am a bit confused myself. I have at last deleted all the other
    user-names "I think". I have also downloaded and used "Spider" I'm a bit
    worried I did not delete anything that I shouldn't have, because I wont have
    a clue how to fix it. I am afraid I didn't 'tick' to delete the cookies yet
    because I don't have a clue what Spider deleted in the first place, it all
    looked double Dutch to me. Sorry but I haven't the foggiest what some of you
    mean when you give me advice in computer -jargon, but I have, learned more
    in the last few days than in the last few years. Thanks a bunch.

    AK, Oct 26, 2003
  16. AK

    Ralph Mann Guest

    AK said:

    > My Computer History:
    > I am a complete novice when it comes to computer skills and have only made
    > changes to my computer because of the help I have been getting from you
    > people. I have registered and re-registered with this site so many times
    > that I am a bit confused myself. I have at last deleted all the other
    > user-names "I think". I have also downloaded and used "Spider" I'm a bit
    > worried I did not delete anything that I shouldn't have, because I wont have
    > a clue how to fix it. I am afraid I didn't 'tick' to delete the cookies yet
    > because I don't have a clue what Spider deleted in the first place, it all
    > looked double Dutch to me. Sorry but I haven't the foggiest what some of you
    > mean when you give me advice in computer -jargon, but I have, learned more
    > in the last few days than in the last few years. Thanks a bunch.

    Control Panel | Internet Options | General tab | Delete Cookies
    Control Panel | Internet Options | General tab | Delete Files (Include offline
    content)
    Control Panel | Internet Options | Privacy tab | Edit | Remove all
    Control Panel | Internet Options | Privacy tab | Advanced (Tick the box to
    override automatic cookie handling and set First and Third party cookies to
    prompt)

    Then whenever you visit a site that uses cookies, you get the chance to block or
    allow it/them.

    Ralph Mann, Oct 26, 2003
  17. AK

    anthonyberet Guest

    AK wrote:
    > Why is my Email address 'Alex Kaye' showing here in this post, even
    > though I Munged it? I think that how it's pronounced?

    That depends, how *do* you pronounce it? ;)
    bounce.
    Do you use filesharing networks? If so, please visit my online poll:
    http://vote.sparklit.com/web_poll.spark/780772
    anthonyberet
    anthonyberet, Oct 26, 2003
  18. AK

    trout Guest

    Stevo wrote:

    > AK wrote:
    >> Why is my Email address 'Alex Kaye' showing here in this post, even
    >> though I Munged it? I think that how it's pronounced?
    >>

    > Probably because you haven't munged it correctly...
    >
    > In the setting for your *news* account, apply your munge to both the
    > e-mail and reply address fields.

    The odd thing is that he's posted before with a properly-munged
    address.
    See news:L4hmb.856$
    --
    "This is why I was wondering about multiple accounts."
    trout, Oct 26, 2003
  19. AK

    trout Guest

    AK wrote:

    > My Computer History:
    > I am a complete novice when it comes to computer skills and have only
    > made changes to my computer because of the help I have been getting
    > from you people. I have registered and re-registered with this site
    > so many times that I am a bit confused myself. I have at last deleted
    > all the other user-names "I think".

    Well, you've got your 'munge' back. That's the main thing, here.

    I have also downloaded and used
    > "Spider" I'm a bit worried I did not delete anything that I shouldn't
    > have, because I wont have a clue how to fix it. I am afraid I didn't
    > 'tick' to delete the cookies yet because I don't have a clue what
    > Spider deleted in the first place, it all looked double Dutch to me.

    I *believe* that Spider only cleans the history of visited websites.

    > Sorry but I haven't the foggiest what some of you mean when you give
    > me advice in computer -jargon, but I have, learned more in the last
    > few days than in the last few years. Thanks a bunch.

    Ah, well, you're welcome. I think most people will try to keep
    advice as plain as possible, but there may be a tendency to slip into
    jargon, or try to pack too much information into a response.
    If that happens; just stay in the thread (conversation), and don't
    be afraid to say "What the hell does *that* mean", or "What is this
    going to do?".
    --
    "As the saying goes; we were all beginners once."
    trout, Oct 26, 2003
  20. AK

    BJ Guest

    Delete them all.....

    Just remember to write down all your user names and passwords of websites
    you visit.

    BJ, Oct 26, 2003