    Albert Nurick | Nurick + Associates - Web Design
    www.nurick.com | Web Applications - Hosting

    Albert Nurick, Apr 6, 2006

  2. Albert Nurick

    Guest

    Albert Nurick wrote:
    > I've got a friend looking for a compact digicam, and here are her
    > requirements:
    >
    > - Reasonably small
    > - Under $500. Around $300 is even better
    > - Good image qualtiy
    > - Good movie mode, no arbitrary limits on length
    > - Good low-light performance
    > - Optical stabilization would be nice
    >
    > Suggestions?

    The Canon S2-IS or S3-IS seem to fit the bill; you won't find good low
    light performance in a small digital camera, except perhaps for the
    Fuji F10/F11. I've never tried these cameras though, so I can't really
    say from personal experience. Check at dpreview.com or
    steves-digicams.com for more info from users.

    , Apr 6, 2006

  3. wrote:

    > Albert Nurick wrote:
    > > I've got a friend looking for a compact digicam, and here are her
    > > requirements:
    > >
    > > - Reasonably small
    > > - Under $500. Around $300 is even better
    > > - Good image qualtiy
    > > - Good movie mode, no arbitrary limits on length
    > > - Good low-light performance
    > > - Optical stabilization would be nice
    > >
    > > Suggestions?

    > The Canon S2-IS or S3-IS seem to fit the bill; you won't find good low
    > light performance in a small digital camera, except perhaps for the
    > Fuji F10/F11. I've never tried these cameras though, so I can't really
    > say from personal experience. Check at dpreview.com or
    > steves-digicams.com for more info from users.

    I've been searching. Those Canons are nice, but a bit big for what she
    wants. My Sony DSC-F828 would be dandy, if it were only pocketable.
    LOL.

    Fuji F11 is a consideration, but I've not seen its movie mode; photos
    are lovely, though.

    Sony has a similar one (T9, IIRC) but I'm trying to find image and
    movie samples.

    Albert Nurick, Apr 6, 2006
  4. David J Taylor, Apr 6, 2006
  5. Albert Nurick

    Guest

    Yeah, the canons are larger than a typical pocket camera, but they're
    similar in size to the 35mm point-n-shoots that were popular in the
    80's and 90's. There's a sample movie from the F10 at
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fuji/finepix_f10-review/ about 3/4 of
    the way down the page. I'd assume that the F10's movie mode will be at
    best average; the Canons have received several mentions of their great
    video quality. They also use CF cards; a lot cheaper per megabyte than
    xD cards. Remember that video takes a lot of storage - about 1 GB per 8
    minutes at high quality. If video mode is really that much of a
    concern, tell your friend to get a separate miniDV camcorder - there's
    no comparison when it comes to video quality and the tapes are about $4
    each. You could get the F10 for ~$275 and a miniDV for ~$225 - and
    still come in at your $500 budget.

    , Apr 6, 2006
  6. In article <>,
    "Albert Nurick" <> wrote:

    > I've got a friend looking for a compact digicam, and here are her
    > requirements:
    >
    > - Reasonably small
    > - Under $500. Around $300 is even better
    > - Good image qualtiy
    > - Good movie mode, no arbitrary limits on length
    > - Good low-light performance
    > - Optical stabilization would be nice
    >
    > Suggestions?

    I doubt you can have it all.

    The Fuji F10/11/30 are your best bet for decent low-light performance in
    a compact camera. The Casio Z750 has a very good movie mode. No OIS in
    either of them. (Do NOT get the Casio Z850; its movie mode has a problem
    that causes jaggy lines; last I heard nobody knows if it can or will be
    fixed in firmware).

    Warning: some cameras don't refocus while taking a movie, which is
    pretty lame. Worth checking before buying.

    Also, very few compact cameras allow you to zoom while taking a movie.
    This isn't so surprising, just something to keep in mind.

    -- Russell

    Russell E. Owen, Apr 6, 2006
  7. Albert Nurick

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Albert Nurick" <> writes:
    > I've got a friend looking for a compact digicam, and here are her
    > requirements:
    > - Good movie mode, no arbitrary limits on length
    > - Good low-light performance
    > - Optical stabilization would be nice
    >
    > Suggestions?

    If your friend wants a video camera, s/he should buy exactly that.

    Paul Rubin, Apr 6, 2006