    good browser (not IE) I can use on this old laptop?

    Thanks in advance, Brad

    be sure there is no active key logger (spyware) in your PC.

    Brad, Jan 17, 2006

  2. Brad

    Notan Guest

    Brad wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an older laptop with Windows 95, 16MB of ram,
    > 120Mhz cpu with Netscape 4.61. Unfortunately, I can't
    > visit some web sites using that browser so I am forced
    > to use IE (5.5) which I don't like using due to it's
    > vulnerabilities to attacks. I tried Netscape 7.1, but
    > it "runs" too slow on this old computer. I tried Netscape
    > 4.79 but is no better than 4.61 when it comes to
    > visiting those same web sites. Do you know a
    > good browser (not IE) I can use on this old laptop?

    Two that come to mind, and don't utilize IE's engine, are:

    Firefox (http://www.getfirefox.com) and

    Opera (http://www.opera.com).

    Notan

    Notan, Jan 17, 2006

  3. Brad

    pioruns Guest

    Notan wrote:

    > Two that come to mind, and don't utilize IE's engine, are:

    > Firefox (http://www.getfirefox.com) and

    > Opera (http://www.opera.com).

    if you are going to use Firefox, please set following options in
    about:config, to reduce memory usage
    browser.cache.memory.capacity --> 65536 (in kB, default) reduce to 0 or
    little larger
    browser.cache.disk.capacity --> 76800 (in kB, default) reduce to 0

    --
    Regards, *Pioruns*

    pioruns, Jan 17, 2006
  4. Brad

    Ron Lopshire Guest

    Brad wrote:

    > I have an older laptop with Windows 95, 16MB of ram,
    > 120Mhz cpu with Netscape 4.61. Unfortunately, I can't
    > visit some web sites using that browser so I am forced
    > to use IE (5.5) which I don't like using due to it's
    > vulnerabilities to attacks. I tried Netscape 7.1, but
    > it "runs" too slow on this old computer. I tried Netscape
    > 4.79 but is no better than 4.61 when it comes to
    > visiting those same web sites. Do you know a
    > good browser (not IE) I can use on this old laptop?

    Brad,

    C&P: K-Meleon is an extremely fast, customizable, lightweight web
    browser for the win32 (Windows) platform based on the Gecko layout
    engine (the rendering engine of Mozilla). K-Meleon is free, open
    source software released under the GNU General Public License.

    (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/)

    Ron :)

    Ron Lopshire, Jan 18, 2006
  5. Brad

    Winged Guest

    Brad wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an older laptop with Windows 95, 16MB of ram,
    > 120Mhz cpu with Netscape 4.61. Unfortunately, I can't
    > visit some web sites using that browser so I am forced
    > to use IE (5.5) which I don't like using due to it's
    > vulnerabilities to attacks. I tried Netscape 7.1, but
    > it "runs" too slow on this old computer. I tried Netscape
    > 4.79 but is no better than 4.61 when it comes to
    > visiting those same web sites. Do you know a
    > good browser (not IE) I can use on this old laptop?
    >
    > Thanks in advance, Brad
    >
    > Before you type your password, credit card number, etc.,
    > be sure there is no active key logger (spyware) in your PC.

    I would probably recommend the current version of Opera as I believe it
    will run in Win 95 and has fairly lightweight system footprint. It will
    avoid some of the pitfalls and exploits of IE. If you can live with the
    one unpatched vulnerability (not critical: Opera Image Control Status
    Bar Spoofing Weakness).

    I suspect this might be your best solution considering your OS an hardware.

    Vulnerability issue can be read about at:
    http://secunia.com/product/4932/

    Lynx "might" be a solution as it is also lightweight but no pretty
    pictures...depends on your requirement.

    Winged

    Winged, Jan 19, 2006
  6. Brad

    Winged Guest

    pioruns wrote:
    > Notan wrote:
    >

    >>Two that come to mind, and don't utilize IE's engine, are:

    >>Firefox (http://www.getfirefox.com) and

    >>Opera (http://www.opera.com).

    > if you are going to use Firefox, please set following options in
    > about:config, to reduce memory usage
    > browser.cache.memory.capacity --> 65536 (in kB, default) reduce to 0 or
    > little larger
    > browser.cache.disk.capacity --> 76800 (in kB, default) reduce to 0

    I don't believe firefox will run on a 95 box irrespective of memory
    change. IAW firefox minimum system specifications I would be a bit
    leery of attempting to make in run.

    According to Mozilla specifications:

    http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/system-requirements.html

    It won't run in less than 64K RAM. I doubt the other specifications of
    this users laptop would meet other minimum requirements as well.

    I am a Firefox supporter, but Firefox is a crippled dog on slow systems.

    I have an old laptop of the Win95 generation but I trashed 95 and went
    to a linux build, which it worked much better than I expected.

    I still think Opera might be his best choice considering his environment.

    Winged

    Winged, Jan 19, 2006