Good books on photography?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Musty, Dec 12, 2004.

  1. Musty

    Musty Guest

    Hi,

    I wanted to buy a book (or books) on the following subjects:

    (I would appreciate any comments/suggestions on these)

    1) Composition:

    So far I am thinking of getting "Photography & the art of Composition" by
    Freeman, Patterson
    There is also "Photographic Composition" by Grill

    Any experience with these books? Any other suggestions.

    2) Technical Techniques (specifically with SLR) - but a book that discussed
    DSLR would even be better. This book would have to deal with technical
    aspects (eg lighting, color, lenses, tricks etc). A deep discussion on
    post-processing would be required.

    3) A good technical book on Adobe photoshop (one that deals with PS 7.0 or
    CS would be best)

    In terms of knowledge, I would consider myself novice. I have really only
    gotten into photography using digital cameras (previous owner of an Oly
    C-5050Z). Currently I have a 20D /w 17-85mm EF-S.

    Thanks
    Musty.

    Musty, Dec 12, 2004

  2. > 2) Technical Techniques (specifically with SLR) - but a book that
    > discussed
    > DSLR would even be better. This book would have to deal with technical
    > aspects (eg lighting, color, lenses, tricks etc). A deep discussion on
    > post-processing would be required.
    >
    > 3) A good technical book on Adobe photoshop (one that deals with PS 7.0 or
    > CS would be best)

    The one by Jim Milburn may fill the bill for both of these, especially the
    latter. It's oriented toward photographers rather than people who want to
    make weird color patterns.

    Michael A. Covington, Dec 12, 2004

  3. Musty

    BigMike631 Guest

    1st book on list - Exposure by Bryon Peterson
    2nd book on list - Learning to see creatively by same
    or
    The photographic eye - Obrien and Sibly (text book type, with q's)

    I like the top one the best for any beginner... You will learn most of
    what you need from it...

    BigMike631, Dec 12, 2004
  4. Musty

    Mike Henley Guest

    I have not seen that "photography & and the art of composition" but if
    it's the same Freeman by whom I have another book, then I wouldn't,
    because his images did not appeal to my understanding of composition at
    all. I did not like his sensibilities (he was evidently fond of those
    silly environmental portraits and did them to an extreme; placing a
    judge in a magnificent court hall or a collector amongst his
    collection, all resulting in images in which the subject appeared very
    small and remote, and achingly nerky, and he was also a fan of
    extensive flash work and paraphenalia, which is a bad thing(TM) if your
    image is badly composed to start with).

    Mike Henley, Dec 12, 2004
  5. Musty

    Tony Guest

    Patterson's book is not about Composition - it is about Zen and pretty much
    a really nice picture book. Grill and Scanlon are ok. Start out at the
    library and look for books on composition in the art section. Most photo
    composition books were written by people who have not studied composition
    (or art at all) and have no idea what they are talking about. Photographers
    tend to be a techy bunch and they figure they'll get around to composition
    after they learn how to do a five light high key set-up or whatever other
    technical goal they have.
    I have a list of composition books that are actually about composition
    at:
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/mani/books/mbookcomp.html
    The one I recommend most is
    Image - Designing Effective Pictures, by Michael Freeman. It is out of print
    but worth hunting down.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Dec 12, 2004
  6. Musty

    Greg Evans Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > The one I recommend most is
    > Image - Designing Effective Pictures, by Michael Freeman. It is out
    > of print but worth hunting down.

    Amazon has a couple of used copies for $77.50. Geez! Is it really worth it
    at that price, or do some of the other titles give one more "bang for the
    buck"?

    Greg Evans, Dec 12, 2004
  7. Musty

    Tony Guest

    That is indeed a lot of money. I guess others have discovered the book. I
    got my copy for 5 bucks at a local store. You might try stores in your area
    too. Most college towns have good used books shops, and the Freeman book was
    used as a text in some schools - all you can lose is a bit of time.
    And/Or -- Try abes, alibris or some other used books search service and
    see if you can locate a better price. Also be sure to check the public
    library or if there is a University with a good library in your town...
    Of the books specifically photography oriented in my list I would say
    that the next two best bets would be the Bill Smith or Clements and
    Rosenfeld titles. Both are out of print but were in print fairly recently so
    they might be available at a good price.
    Another book that is not on my list is the Dover publication on
    composition for artists. I haven't even seen my copy in a decade or more but
    remember it as being pretty good - I think I loaned it to a student and
    never got it back. Dover publications are never out of print and the prices
    are always reasonable.

    Tony, Dec 13, 2004