Good book for learning photography with digital cam ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by swebb99, Jun 2, 2007.

  1. swebb99

    swebb99 Guest

    Hi,

    I take a fair few photo's when I go walking and I have a good book on
    Photoshop CS2 to allow me to adjust the pics a little. Its struck me
    however that I nearly always use the camera in one of its standard
    modes. I'd like to be about to use its manual settings so I can make
    the pics a little more interesting and have more control.

    So I'm looking for a good book that explains the basics so that I can
    control my Canon A640 with confidence. I've seen a few but they mostly
    spend their time talking about how you can mess around the pics later.
    I want something the explains how to get them right first time round
    and describes the physics of whats going on, if you know what I mean.
    Also if it goes into how to frame, light shots that would be useful.

    Thanks

    Steve

    swebb99, Jun 2, 2007

  2. swebb99

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    swebb99 <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I take a fair few photo's when I go walking and I have a good book on
    > Photoshop CS2 to allow me to adjust the pics a little. Its struck me
    > however that I nearly always use the camera in one of its standard
    > modes. I'd like to be about to use its manual settings so I can make
    > the pics a little more interesting and have more control.
    >
    > So I'm looking for a good book that explains the basics so that I can
    > control my Canon A640 with confidence. I've seen a few but they mostly
    > spend their time talking about how you can mess around the pics later.
    > I want something the explains how to get them right first time round
    > and describes the physics of whats going on, if you know what I mean.
    > Also if it goes into how to frame, light shots that would be useful.

    Read the manual that came with the camera and check any decent public
    library or book store for books on basic digital photography.

    Shawn Hirn, Jun 3, 2007

  3. swebb99

    swebb99 Guest

    On 3 Jun, 11:39, Shawn Hirn <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >
    > swebb99 <> wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > I take a fair few photo's when I go walking and I have a good book on
    > > Photoshop CS2 to allow me to adjust the pics a little. Its struck me
    > > however that I nearly always use the camera in one of its standard
    > > modes. I'd like to be about to use its manual settings so I can make
    > > the pics a little more interesting and have more control.

    > > So I'm looking for a good book that explains the basics so that I can
    > > control my Canon A640 with confidence. I've seen a few but they mostly
    > > spend their time talking about how you can mess around the pics later.
    > > I want something the explains how to get them right first time round
    > > and describes the physics of whats going on, if you know what I mean.
    > > Also if it goes into how to frame, light shots that would be useful.

    > Read the manual that came with the camera and check any decent public
    > library or book store for books on basic digital photography.

    thanks,

    the manual with the cam is so bad its pointless. However I have bought
    the following book and it seems very good

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Langfords-S...9626241?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1180951281&sr=1-2

    swebb99, Jun 4, 2007
  4. swebb99

    Neil Guest

    > > > So I'm looking for a good book that explains the basics so that I can
    > > > control my Canon A640 with confidence. I've seen a few but they mostly
    > > > spend their time talking about how you can mess around the pics later.
    > > > I want something the explains how to get them right first time round
    > > > and describes the physics of whats going on, if you know what I mean.
    > > > Also if it goes into how to frame, light shots that would be useful.

    A free site you might check out for quick study of the basics:

    http://www.bestphotolessons.com

    Neil, Jun 21, 2007