    compact flash instead. Excellent and thankyou.

    Won't hold my breath over the £100 though.

    BTW very happy with the camera.
    Bill, Feb 2, 2006

  2. Bill

    Prometheus Guest

    In article <43e25ebd$>, Bill
    <> writes
    >Purchased a Canon 20D just before Xmas partly attracted by £100 cashback
    >offer. Applied for cashback mid Jan by Recorded Delivery to the 'Irish Canon
    >address' with proof of reciept from the Post Office confirmed as 16 January.
    >I yesterday recieved a mail from Canon telling me my application was
    >recieved 1st February (quite untrue ) with apologies as there will be
    >considerable delay in refunding my £100. Wonder why they would want to delay
    >my cashback eh! Not Happy.
    >
    >Conversely there was also an offer of a free 256mb sandisk. Applied on line
    >some 5 days ago. Acknowledged the following day and I actually recieved it
    >today!! Very good. However there was a letter enclosed with the disk
    >apologising that they had run out of 256 and had to give me a 512 sandisk
    >compact flash instead. Excellent and thankyou.
    >
    >Won't hold my breath over the £100 though.

    I'd keep waiting, it took over a month for mine to come through. I
    suspect that the agency they use to process them only handles batches at
    a time and does other work (non-Canon) between times. The memory card,
    which comes from Canon was quite quick, unfortunately they had not run
    out of 256MB; still it is a useful reserve if I fill or have a problem
    with my 2GB.
    --
    Ian G8ILZ
    Prometheus, Feb 2, 2006

  3. Bill

    Eatmorepies Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    > Purchased a Canon 20D just before Xmas partly attracted by £100 cashback
    > offer. Applied for cashback mid Jan by Recorded Delivery to the 'Irish
    > Canon address' with proof of reciept from the Post Office confirmed as 16
    > January. I yesterday recieved a mail from Canon telling me my application
    > was recieved 1st February (quite untrue ) with apologies as there will be
    > considerable delay in refunding my £100. Wonder why they would want to
    > delay my cashback eh! Not Happy.
    >
    > Conversely there was also an offer of a free 256mb sandisk. Applied on
    > line some 5 days ago. Acknowledged the following day and I actually
    > recieved it today!! Very good. However there was a letter enclosed with
    > the disk apologising that they had run out of 256 and had to give me a 512
    > sandisk compact flash instead. Excellent and thankyou.
    >
    > Won't hold my breath over the £100 though.

    I like Canon products and hate their cash back service.

    I bought a 350D and got vouchers with it.

    I wrote and asked if Channel Island suppliers counted. I was told yes - in
    writing. I bought a 1.4x converter from 7Dayshop. When I tried to claim
    cashback my bar codes were wrong - it's a Canadian converter apparently. I
    explained it worked perfectly well on my British camera - but no cashback.

    I bought a 580EX and have sent off my voucher, proof of purchase - from a
    shop in Bristol; and have heard nothing in 3 weeks.

    In time I will want a full frame camera. It will probably be Canon because
    of my investment in their lenses - but not if there is a cashback deal.

    We have one of the only two mass market digital SLR companies shooting
    itself in the foot because of poor service.

    John
    Eatmorepies, Feb 2, 2006
  4. Bill

    Guest

    > In time I will want a full frame camera. It will probably be Canon because
    > of my investment in their lenses - but not if there is a cashback deal.
    >
    > We have one of the only two mass market digital SLR companies shooting
    > itself in the foot because of poor service.

    Welcome to the wonderful world of "mail in rebates".

    I moved from the UK to the States 8 years ago and have suffered at the
    hands of retail establishments offering pricing based on rebates.
    Usually involving you hacking up the packaging, including original
    receipts (not a photocopy) and other bizarre items.

    >From experience my way of dealing with them is:

    1) Photocopy everything you send first
    2) Expect to wait for 6 months to get it
    3) Never think of the rebate price as the price you have paid, then
    when (if) it ever shows up it's a nice bonus.

    Dave
    , Feb 2, 2006
  5. Bill

    Guest

    > In time I will want a full frame camera. It will probably be Canon because
    > of my investment in their lenses - but not if there is a cashback deal.
    >
    > We have one of the only two mass market digital SLR companies shooting
    > itself in the foot because of poor service.

    Welcome to the wonderful world of "mail in rebates".

    I moved from the UK to the States 8 years ago and have suffered at the
    hands of retail establishments offering pricing based on rebates.
    Usually involving you hacking up the packaging, including original
    receipts (not a photocopy) and other bizarre items.

    >From experience my way of dealing with them is:

    1) Photocopy everything you send first
    2) Expect to wait for 6 months to get it
    3) Never think of the rebate price as the price you have paid, then
    when (if) it ever shows up it's a nice bonus.

    Dave
    , Feb 2, 2006
  6. Bill

    Dontcha Guest

    <> wrote in message

    >> In time I will want a full frame camera. It will probably be Canon
    >> because
    >> of my investment in their lenses - but not if there is a cashback deal.
    >>
    >> We have one of the only two mass market digital SLR companies shooting
    >> itself in the foot because of poor service.
    >>

    > Welcome to the wonderful world of "mail in rebates".
    >
    > I moved from the UK to the States 8 years ago and have suffered at the
    > hands of retail establishments offering pricing based on rebates.
    > Usually involving you hacking up the packaging, including original
    > receipts (not a photocopy) and other bizarre items.

    I didn't want to hack my boxes to bits for the barcodes with the Canon
    cashback, so phoned and asked if they would accept a photocopy. They were
    fine with this.
    Dontcha, Feb 2, 2006
  7. Bill

    Helen Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message

    > Conversely there was also an offer of a free 256mb sandisk. Applied on

    line
    > some 5 days ago. Acknowledged the following day and I actually recieved it
    > today!! Very good. However there was a letter enclosed with the disk
    > apologising that they had run out of 256 and had to give me a 512 sandisk
    > compact flash instead. Excellent and thankyou.

    Yep, we registered three 5Ds online, got three heartfelt apologies for there
    being no 256's available, and then received three 512's.
    What a bummer, I so wanted 256's.
    Helen, Feb 2, 2006
  8. Bill

    Roddytoo Guest

    I received the £100 after a while, followed by the 512 card, both of which
    were most welcome.

    Roddytoo, Feb 2, 2006
  9. Bill

    Dave Cohen Guest

    "Roddytoo" <> wrote in message
    >I received the £100 after a while, followed by the 512 card, both of which
    >were most welcome.
    >
    > "Bill" <> wrote in message
    >> Purchased a Canon 20D just before Xmas partly attracted by £100 cashback
    >> offer. Applied for cashback mid Jan by Recorded Delivery to the 'Irish
    >> Canon address' with proof of reciept from the Post Office confirmed as 16
    >> January. I yesterday recieved a mail from Canon telling me my application
    >> was recieved 1st February (quite untrue ) with apologies as there will
    >> be considerable delay in refunding my £100. Wonder why they would want to
    >> delay my cashback eh! Not Happy.
    >>
    >> Conversely there was also an offer of a free 256mb sandisk. Applied on
    >> line some 5 days ago. Acknowledged the following day and I actually
    >> recieved it today!! Very good. However there was a letter enclosed with
    >> the disk apologising that they had run out of 256 and had to give me a
    >> 512 sandisk compact flash instead. Excellent and thankyou.
    >>
    >> Won't hold my breath over the £100 though.
    >>
    >> BTW very happy with the camera.

    I've sent in many rebate offers (none from canon). I've always received the
    rebate, never without quite a wait, the wait goes with the territory, they
    make out that way. OTH, I've actually got a couple of items completely free
    of charge (after the wait). An exception to the above is Staples in US. The
    application is done on-line and rebate is reasonably fast, forget just how
    fast.
    Given a choice I'd rather skip rebated items, but for the example given by
    op, the money is worth the wait.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Feb 2, 2006
  10. "Bill" <> wrote in message
    > Purchased a Canon 20D just before Xmas partly attracted by £100 cashback
    > offer. Applied for cashback mid Jan by Recorded Delivery to the 'Irish
    > Canon address' with proof of reciept from the Post Office confirmed as 16
    > January. I yesterday recieved a mail from Canon telling me my application
    > was recieved 1st February (quite untrue ) with apologies as there will be
    > considerable delay in refunding my £100. Wonder why they would want to
    > delay my cashback eh! Not Happy.
    >
    > Conversely there was also an offer of a free 256mb sandisk. Applied on
    > line some 5 days ago. Acknowledged the following day and I actually
    > recieved it today!! Very good. However there was a letter enclosed with
    > the disk apologising that they had run out of 256 and had to give me a 512
    > sandisk compact flash instead. Excellent and thankyou.
    >
    > Won't hold my breath over the £100 though.
    >
    > BTW very happy with the camera.

    I got lots of various rebates from Canon while buying their equipment.
    Maybe five. I bet you get it.

    William Saens, Feb 3, 2006
  11. Bill

    ant Guest

    wrote:

    > Welcome to the wonderful world of "mail in rebates".

    I hate those. I've seen how they work in the USA. Reckon it's a version of
    bait and switch.
    If I have to use that to get a good deal, I'll move on to the next deal,
    there's always one somewhere. They are just a cynical joke so they can
    advertise a price, hoping they won't have to honour it.

    --
    ant
    ant, Feb 3, 2006
  12. Bill

    Skip M Guest

    "ant" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Welcome to the wonderful world of "mail in rebates".

    > I hate those. I've seen how they work in the USA. Reckon it's a version of
    > bait and switch.
    > If I have to use that to get a good deal, I'll move on to the next deal,
    > there's always one somewhere. They are just a cynical joke so they can
    > advertise a price, hoping they won't have to honour it.
    >

    > --
    > ant

    And the states love them, since they collect sales tax, where applicable, on
    the entire amount, not on the amount after rebate, as opposed to collecting
    a smaller amount on a sale price.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Feb 3, 2006
  13. Bill

    SMS Guest

    ant wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Welcome to the wonderful world of "mail in rebates".

    > I hate those. I've seen how they work in the USA. Reckon it's a version of
    > bait and switch.
    > If I have to use that to get a good deal, I'll move on to the next deal,
    > there's always one somewhere. They are just a cynical joke so they can
    > advertise a price, hoping they won't have to honour it.

    One of the major reasons for rebates is actually to prevent returns.
    Once you cut the UPC out and send in the rebate, you can't return the
    product. I was surprised when a Logitech rebate asked only for a copy of
    the UPC.
    SMS, Feb 3, 2006
  14. In article <43e25ebd$>, Bill
    <> writes
    >Purchased a Canon 20D just before Xmas partly attracted by £100 cashback
    >offer. Applied for cashback mid Jan by Recorded Delivery to the 'Irish Canon
    >address' with proof of reciept from the Post Office confirmed as 16 January.
    >I yesterday recieved a mail from Canon telling me my application was
    >recieved 1st February (quite untrue ) with apologies as there will be
    >considerable delay in refunding my £100. Wonder why they would want to delay
    >my cashback eh! Not Happy.
    >
    >Conversely there was also an offer of a free 256mb sandisk. Applied on line
    >some 5 days ago. Acknowledged the following day and I actually recieved it
    >today!! Very good. However there was a letter enclosed with the disk
    >apologising that they had run out of 256 and had to give me a 512 sandisk
    >compact flash instead. Excellent and thankyou.

    Yes, I got the 512Mb Sandisk card a few weeks ago as well, and then
    yesterday received a nice cheque for my flash and lenses. This was for
    a purchase made in the middle of December last year, and was further
    delayed because I had to get them to send me the vouchers, which were
    missing from the 5D box. I sent them off with the other data in early
    Jan, so I don't think you will have long to wait now.

    I ma sure they only do this because a lot of people don't bother or
    forget to send the details off. In my case, if it wasn't for a sticker
    on the side of the box stating that vouchers should have been enclosed
    then I wouldn't even have known about the deal. If anyone from Canon
    reads these forums then I expect they will be removing that information
    from their packaging in future. ;-)
    --
    Kennedy
    Kennedy McEwen, Feb 3, 2006
  15. In article <>, Helen
    <> writes

    >Yep, we registered three 5Ds online, got three heartfelt apologies for there
    >being no 256's available, and then received three 512's.
    >What a bummer, I so wanted 256's.

    The "Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause." line amused me. ;-)
    --
    Kennedy
    Kennedy McEwen, Feb 3, 2006
  16. Bill

    Rich Guest

    On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 05:32:11 -0800, "Skip M" <>
    wrote:

    >"ant" <> wrote in message
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Welcome to the wonderful world of "mail in rebates".

    >> I hate those. I've seen how they work in the USA. Reckon it's a version of
    >> bait and switch.
    >> If I have to use that to get a good deal, I'll move on to the next deal,
    >> there's always one somewhere. They are just a cynical joke so they can
    >> advertise a price, hoping they won't have to honour it.
    >>

    >> --
    >> ant
    >>

    >And the states love them, since they collect sales tax, where applicable, on
    >the entire amount, not on the amount after rebate, as opposed to collecting
    >a smaller amount on a sale price.

    People redeem rebates at a rate of between 3-5% at most.
    But they attract a greater percentage of buyers.
    Manufacturers love them for this reason.
    Rich, Feb 3, 2006
  17. Bill

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Skip M <> wrote:
    >"ant" <> wrote in message
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Welcome to the wonderful world of "mail in rebates".

    >> I hate those. I've seen how they work in the USA. Reckon it's a version of
    >> bait and switch.
    >> If I have to use that to get a good deal, I'll move on to the next deal,
    >> there's always one somewhere. They are just a cynical joke so they can
    >> advertise a price, hoping they won't have to honour it.
    >>

    >> --
    >> ant
    >>

    >And the states love them, since they collect sales tax, where applicable, on
    >the entire amount, not on the amount after rebate, as opposed to collecting
    >a smaller amount on a sale price.

    I've always treated it as legal fraud. If they want to have
    a sale they well know how to have one.

    Since I'm sure they know what percentage of their customers
    actually get the rebates and since they know what it costs
    them to hire the fulfillment firm to deal with the rebates,
    one assumes that they could work out a sale price that would
    not cost them any more money than the rebates do and yet be
    up front with their customers (as well as saving them tax
    money.)

    That they don't do this tells us something...

    ---- Paul J. Gans
    Paul J Gans, Feb 5, 2006
  18. Bill

    Skip M Guest

    "Paul J Gans" <> wrote in message
    > Skip M <> wrote:
    >>"ant" <> wrote in message

    >>> I hate those. I've seen how they work in the USA. Reckon it's a version
    >>> of
    >>> bait and switch.
    >>> If I have to use that to get a good deal, I'll move on to the next deal,
    >>> there's always one somewhere. They are just a cynical joke so they can
    >>> advertise a price, hoping they won't have to honour it.
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> ant
    >>>

    >>And the states love them, since they collect sales tax, where applicable,
    >>on
    >>the entire amount, not on the amount after rebate, as opposed to
    >>collecting
    >>a smaller amount on a sale price.

    > I've always treated it as legal fraud. If they want to have
    > a sale they well know how to have one.
    >
    > Since I'm sure they know what percentage of their customers
    > actually get the rebates and since they know what it costs
    > them to hire the fulfillment firm to deal with the rebates,
    > one assumes that they could work out a sale price that would
    > not cost them any more money than the rebates do and yet be
    > up front with their customers (as well as saving them tax
    > money.)
    >
    > That they don't do this tells us something...
    >
    > ---- Paul J. Gans

    Indeed. Not to mention the interest your money earns in their account while
    you wait for them to send it back to you. Not unlike the IRS...

    Skip M, Feb 5, 2006
  19. In article <ds436g$j66$>, Paul J Gans
    <> writes
    >Skip M <> wrote:
    >>"ant" <> wrote in message

    >>> I hate those. I've seen how they work in the USA. Reckon it's a version of
    >>> bait and switch.
    >>> If I have to use that to get a good deal, I'll move on to the next deal,
    >>> there's always one somewhere. They are just a cynical joke so they can
    >>> advertise a price, hoping they won't have to honour it.
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> ant
    >>>

    >>And the states love them, since they collect sales tax, where applicable, on
    >>the entire amount, not on the amount after rebate, as opposed to collecting
    >>a smaller amount on a sale price.

    >I've always treated it as legal fraud. If they want to have
    >a sale they well know how to have one.
    >
    >Since I'm sure they know what percentage of their customers
    >actually get the rebates and since they know what it costs
    >them to hire the fulfillment firm to deal with the rebates,
    >one assumes that they could work out a sale price that would
    >not cost them any more money than the rebates do and yet be
    >up front with their customers (as well as saving them tax
    >money.)
    >
    >That they don't do this tells us something...

    From the other point of view though, the authorised distributors are
    faced with grey imports which appear to be cheaper than their parts
    because they have no official warranty cover. Using these rebates the
    authorised distributor can offer folk that are looking for the best
    price (and will therefore be likely to buy grey) a more competitive
    price without hitting their overall business significantly.

    Not saying I approve of this practice, but there is more than one way to
    look at it.
    --
    Kennedy
    Kennedy McEwen, Feb 5, 2006
  20. Bill

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 05:44:45 -0800, "Skip M" <>
    wrote:

    >Indeed. Not to mention the interest your money earns in their account while
    >you wait for them to send it back to you. Not unlike the IRS...

    That doesn't make sense to me. A camera is sold to a retailer at,
    let's say, $100. The camera sale is subject to, let's say, a $10
    rebate. The camera maker pockets the $100, and later pays out the $10
    when the rebate is redeemed, but the camera maker is not holding this
    $10 in an interest-bearing account. The camera maker is offering a
    conditional discount of $10 to the end purchaser. The amount paid the
    end purchaser is a cost of goods sold. It actually costs the camera
    maker more than $10 since the redemption service charges them a fee.

    The camera maker is not discounting the entire model production since
    the camera maker knows that only a certain number of rebate
    applications will be redeemed, but it's a genuine discount for the end
    users that complete the rebate process correctly.

    The system allows the camera maker to offer a discounted price to the
    end purchaser without negatively affecting the retailer's profit
    margin. It also allows them to generate interest in a model due to
    the potential discount.

    The primary reason a manufacturer offers a rebate program is that it
    allows them to declare a "sale price" that is available through all
    retailers. The retailer cannot decline to participate. The retailer
    does not have a reason not to participate because the retailer's
    profit margin is unaffected by the discount. Certainly the
    manufacturer is aware that not all buyers will take advantage of the
    rebate, but all buyers *can*.

    I don't particularly like rebate programs, but I don't think they
    should be criticized erroneously.

    --

    Tony Cooper
    Orlando, FL