    (don't want to have to change lenses) and might consider selling the
    28-75mm if the zoom works out well.

    thanks.

    RnR, Jan 2, 2007

  2. RnR

    Eatmorepies Guest

    <RnR> wrote in message news:...
    >I may take a cruise vacation (bahamas) and like to use a good all
    > around (short preferable in length) zoom lense (28-??). Basically
    > want to zoom in and out for vacation pics on the ship and land. I
    > don't want top of the line stuff but middle quality I think will be
    > fine and not too heavy of a lense (camera is already a bit heavy). I
    > have one lense for all around now, Tamron 28-75mm but would like more
    > zoom for the trip. Otherwise I like this Tamron lense and wouldn't
    > mind a similar quality. I just want one lense to use for the trip
    > (don't want to have to change lenses) and might consider selling the
    > 28-75mm if the zoom works out well.
    >
    > thanks.

    I always suggest L series lenses in answer to this sort of question. You
    have bought a very good camera body and you will not be using it at its best
    if you fit mediocre lenses. Look at the 24-104mm f4 L IS. You will only buy
    it once yet you will possibly replace the camera body every 3 years or so.

    If you insist on an economy lens look at the 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 II USM. It's
    a quarter the cost of the L lens and very much lighter and smaller. It's no
    where near as good but if you've never used L you'll probably think it's
    quite a good lens.

    John

    Eatmorepies, Jan 2, 2007

  3. >> I don't want top of the line stuff but middle quality I think will be
    >> fine and not too heavy of a lense (camera is already a bit heavy). I
    >> have one lense for all around now, Tamron 28-75mm but would like more
    >> zoom for the trip.

    > I always suggest L series lenses in answer to this sort of question. You
    > have bought a very good camera body and you will not be using it at its best
    > if you fit mediocre lenses. Look at the 24-104mm f4 L IS. You will only buy
    > it once yet you will possibly replace the camera body every 3 years or so.

    I agree with you completely, but the OP specifically said he didn't want
    top of the line and not too a heavy lens.

    > If you insist on an economy lens look at the 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 II USM. It's
    > a quarter the cost of the L lens and very much lighter and smaller. It's no
    > where near as good but if you've never used L you'll probably think it's
    > quite a good lens.

    There's also a 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 version with IS. It's a bit more
    expensive but might suit the requirement for more reach a bit better.

    --
    Derek Fountain on the web at http://www.derekfountain.org/

    Derek Fountain, Jan 2, 2007
  4. RnR wrote:
    > I may take a cruise vacation (bahamas) and like to use a good all
    > around (short preferable in length) zoom lense (28-??). Basically
    > want to zoom in and out for vacation pics on the ship and land. I
    > don't want top of the line stuff but middle quality I think will be
    > fine and not too heavy of a lense (camera is already a bit heavy). I
    > have one lense for all around now, Tamron 28-75mm but would like more
    > zoom for the trip. Otherwise I like this Tamron lense and wouldn't
    > mind a similar quality. I just want one lense to use for the trip
    > (don't want to have to change lenses) and might consider selling the
    > 28-75mm if the zoom works out well.
    >
    > thanks.

    It is really difficult to choose a lens for someone, unless I have seen
    their work. However I will make a few observations.

    The "kit" lens 18-55 zoom is a great general use travel lens. It is
    super light and small. It covers moderate wide angle to slight telephoto.
    The quality is good, but not great. The price is great.

    I carry the above and the 10-22 extra wide zoom for most of my vacation
    type work. I also have a 75-200 for use when I need something longer as
    well as a 500, but the only time I have carried either on a vacation type
    trip was when I was expecting to do some "nature" work involving animals.

    In my experience most general users (You will find that most of those
    who answer questions here are not general users, but are advanced amateurs
    or professionals.) greatly underestimate the value of wide angle and greatly
    over estimate the value of telephoto.

    Many years ago I sold camera equipment. I can't tell you how many times
    I had customers tell me they needed a telephoto lens because they were going
    to be taking photos of mountains, or how disappointed they were with the
    results of using telephotos when taking photos of mountains. Mountains are
    far away, but you need a wide angle as the are very big!

    Indoor or even outdoor photos of building often demand wide angle as
    does taking photos of groups of people in confined spaces.

    In short, consider the advantages of wide angle.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit

    Joseph Meehan, Jan 2, 2007
  5. RnR

    U-Know-Who Guest

    "Joseph Meehan" <> wrote in message
    > RnR wrote:
    >> I may take a cruise vacation (bahamas) and like to use a good all
    >> around (short preferable in length) zoom lense (28-??). Basically
    >> want to zoom in and out for vacation pics on the ship and land. I
    >> don't want top of the line stuff but middle quality I think will be
    >> fine and not too heavy of a lense (camera is already a bit heavy). I
    >> have one lense for all around now, Tamron 28-75mm but would like more
    >> zoom for the trip. Otherwise I like this Tamron lense and wouldn't
    >> mind a similar quality. I just want one lense to use for the trip
    >> (don't want to have to change lenses) and might consider selling the
    >> 28-75mm if the zoom works out well.
    >>
    >> thanks.

    > It is really difficult to choose a lens for someone, unless I have seen
    > their work. However I will make a few observations.
    >
    > The "kit" lens 18-55 zoom is a great general use travel lens. It is
    > super light and small. It covers moderate wide angle to slight telephoto.
    > The quality is good, but not great. The price is great.
    >
    > I carry the above and the 10-22 extra wide zoom for most of my
    > vacation type work. I also have a 75-200 for use when I need something
    > longer as well as a 500, but the only time I have carried either on a
    > vacation type trip was when I was expecting to do some "nature" work
    > involving animals.
    >
    > In my experience most general users (You will find that most of those
    > who answer questions here are not general users, but are advanced amateurs
    > or professionals.) greatly underestimate the value of wide angle and
    > greatly over estimate the value of telephoto.
    >
    > Many years ago I sold camera equipment. I can't tell you how many
    > times I had customers tell me they needed a telephoto lens because they
    > were going to be taking photos of mountains, or how disappointed they were
    > with the results of using telephotos when taking photos of mountains.
    > Mountains are far away, but you need a wide angle as the are very big!
    >
    > Indoor or even outdoor photos of building often demand wide angle as
    > does taking photos of groups of people in confined spaces.
    >
    > In short, consider the advantages of wide angle.

    Amen. I recently traded a Canon 17-40 f/4L for a Tokina 12-24 f/4 AT-X Pro
    DX. The crop factor on the 350-400D proved too much, so I opted for the
    Tokina which now actually gives me 18mm at the widest end. I have to say, I
    like the Tokina better in all aspects, even though it has no red stripe. :)

    http://www.usenet.com

    U-Know-Who, Jan 2, 2007
  6. RnR

    King Sardon Guest

    Re: Good all around zoom lens for Canon EOS 20d

    On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 01:17:32 -0600, RnR wrote:

    >I may take a cruise vacation (bahamas) and like to use a good all
    >around (short preferable in length) zoom lense (28-??). Basically
    >want to zoom in and out for vacation pics on the ship and land. I
    >don't want top of the line stuff but middle quality I think will be
    >fine and not too heavy of a lense (camera is already a bit heavy). I
    >have one lense for all around now, Tamron 28-75mm but would like more
    >zoom for the trip. Otherwise I like this Tamron lense and wouldn't
    >mind a similar quality. I just want one lense to use for the trip
    >(don't want to have to change lenses) and might consider selling the
    >28-75mm if the zoom works out well.

    The kit lenses (18-55mm and 17-85mm) would be excellent choices for
    the type of photography you describe. The 18-55 is a fine lens and is
    very light in weight. It is often criticized in this NG because folks
    here are very fussy and there are sharper lenses, but those lenses are
    much heavier and more expensive.

    The 17-85mm also is not top of the line and is not very sharp at the
    corners, but has image stabilization (compensating for mild camera
    motion) and has a wider zoom range, which is very useful if you are
    going to have just one lens. You will get a lot of good pictures with
    this lens and it is fun to use.

    A zoom range of 28-75mm is not that great for the 20D because the wide
    end is not very wide. Many people find they need around 17-18mm for
    interior shots such as you might want to take on the ship.

    It's lens, not lense.

    KS

    King Sardon, Jan 2, 2007
  7. RnR

    tomm42 Guest

    tomm42, Jan 2, 2007
  8. RnR

    tomm42 Guest

    On Jan 2, 2:17 am, RnR wrote:
    > I may take a cruise vacation (bahamas) and like to use a good all
    > around (short preferable in length) zoom lense (28-??). Basically
    > want to zoom in and out for vacation pics on the ship and land. I
    > don't want top of the line stuff but middle quality I think will be
    > fine and not too heavy of a lense (camera is already a bit heavy). I
    > have one lense for all around now, Tamron 28-75mm but would like more
    > zoom for the trip. Otherwise I like this Tamron lense and wouldn't
    > mind a similar quality. I just want one lense to use for the trip
    > (don't want to have to change lenses) and might consider selling the
    > 28-75mm if the zoom works out well.
    >
    > thanks

    If you need more tele, the Canon 70-210 f4L is just a wonderful lens,
    the latest with IS would be better but not essential if $ are a
    concern. It has been around long enough that used ones are readily
    available. Check KEH.com.
    If you need wide look at the 17-40 Canon (again available used), for
    even wider the 10-22 Canon, 12-24 Tokina or the 10-20 Sigma, the Canon
    being the best. probably not available used. The Tamron you have is a
    great walk around lens wouldn't sell it unless it is not performing for
    you. Having a wide, the Tamron and the 70-210 would be a great kit and
    not to heavy, I'm used to medium, large format, and motorized 35s. So
    even my D200 seem light ( I used a friends Canon with a 17-40, and
    70-210 for a few months before buying the D200. Wish Nikon had a lens
    as good and light as the 70-210 f4L.

    Tom

    tomm42, Jan 2, 2007
  9. RnR wrote:
    > I may take a cruise vacation (bahamas) and like to use a good all
    > around (short preferable in length) zoom lense (28-??). Basically
    > want to zoom in and out for vacation pics on the ship and land. I
    > don't want top of the line stuff but middle quality I think will be
    > fine and not too heavy of a lense (camera is already a bit heavy). I
    > have one lense for all around now, Tamron 28-75mm but would like more
    > zoom for the trip. Otherwise I like this Tamron lense and wouldn't
    > mind a similar quality. I just want one lense to use for the trip
    > (don't want to have to change lenses) and might consider selling the
    > 28-75mm if the zoom works out well.

    I have used a Sigma 18-200mm for about 1.5 years on a Canon 300D and
    find it to be a fantastic all around performer. It produces outstanding
    photos for my wife and I. It is light weight, small, well built, has
    zoom a lock, quick and accurate focus and can be had for a very
    reasonable price. Here are a few shots I have taken in various shooting
    conditions all through its zoom range:

    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/Misc Shots/IMG_5975.jpg
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/Misc Shots/CRW_7106a.jpg
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/People/CRW_7000a.jpg
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/People/CRW_6841a.jpg
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/People/CRW_6933a.jpg
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/WWII Memorial/WWIIMemorial8.jpg
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c290/MikeJ9116/Pets/CRW_6703a.jpg

    I wouldn't hesitate to go on a vacation with this as my only lens. It
    will cover about any shooting situation you encounter.

    Michael Johnson, PE, Jan 2, 2007
  10. RnR wrote:
    > I may take a cruise vacation (bahamas) and like to use a good all
    > around (short preferable in length) zoom lense (28-??). Basically
    > want to zoom in and out for vacation pics on the ship and land. I
    > don't want top of the line stuff but middle quality I think will be
    > fine and not too heavy of a lense (camera is already a bit heavy). I
    > have one lense for all around now, Tamron 28-75mm but would like more
    > zoom for the trip. Otherwise I like this Tamron lense and wouldn't
    > mind a similar quality. I just want one lense to use for the trip
    > (don't want to have to change lenses) and might consider selling the
    > 28-75mm if the zoom works out well.
    >
    > thanks.

    If you like the Tamron Lens, then you might consider the Tamron

    AF18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II

    It is fairly short for such a wide range of focal lengths and it only
    weighs 14 oz's. I used one and a Tamron Photography workshop and it
    was good. Everything that we shot was outdoors at a game preserve.

    You probably already know this information, but I will go ahead and
    include it in this post. The CCD sensor on the 20D has a multiplication
    factor of 1.6x. So the above lens is equivalent to a 29-320mm for a
    film camera or a full-frame DSLR.

    I an looking for a lens myself, but I am wanting the lowest F-Stop I can
    get at a reasonable price. I was not able to test the above lens in a
    indoor low-light situation, so I passed on it.

    Michael Calverley, Jan 2, 2007
  11. Given that the OP already has the Tammy 28-75 f/2.8 which is an absolutely
    superb piece of glass - as close to an "L" optically as makes no difference,
    and I speak from experience here having had both it and the 24-70L - any of
    the variable aperture 28-1xx suggestions are likely to be something of a
    letdown in terms of picture quality. And boy, are they slow...

    My suggestion: Keep your 28-75. It's as good as it gets within that focal
    range, even the 24-70 L isn't a whole lot better (heft, yes; USM, yes;
    ergonomics, yes; red-ring macho factor, yes; optics, no). If you need more
    tele, buy a 70-200 f/4L, that one too is as good as it gets without the
    price and heft of its f/2.8 cousins. Hey, what's the point of having a DSLR
    if you aren't going to swap lenses, after all? Take a look at one of the
    brand new third-party 50-150 mm class f/2.8s too, they may be interesting.
    Canon also has a cheap variable aperture 80-200 which is rumoured to be
    surprisingly good.

    Alternatively, go for a 24-105 f/4 L. It's expensive but the only solution I
    can think of that would be worthwhile as a straight replacement of your
    Tamron, you gain IS and a bit more range but lose an aperture stop; image
    quality should be comparable .

    Ståle Sannerud, Jan 3, 2007
  12. > If you need more tele, the Canon 70-210 f4L is just a wonderful lens,
    > the latest with IS would be better but not essential if $ are a
    > concern. It has been around long enough that used ones are readily
    > available. Check KEH.com.

    You mean the 70-200 f/4 of course, just so nobody gets confused :)

    Ståle Sannerud, Jan 3, 2007
  13. RnR

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 22:29:09 GMT, Michael Calverley
    <> wrote:

    >You probably already know this information, but I will go ahead and
    >include it in this post. The CCD sensor on the 20D has a multiplication
    >factor of 1.6x. So the above lens is equivalent to a 29-320mm for a
    >film camera or a full-frame DSLR.

    I'm sure you meant to say CMOS instead of CCD. :)

    --
    Democrat John Edwards stood in the
    hurricane-ravaged ninth ward of

    Bill Funk, Jan 3, 2007