Good ADSL modem/router ?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Zipper, Oct 28, 2006.

  1. Zipper

    Zipper Guest

    I have been using a billion ADSL router which is operating in "half
    bridge" mode which is connected to an old pc running smoothwall.

    Very recently I have moved to faster plan (FS/FS).

    My billion modem is getting a speed of about 2300/860 as the line speed.
    The uplink is good but the downspeed, well it could be a lot better, I
    am a fair distance from the nearest exchange so just unlucky.

    Anyway I happened to try a dlink 504g modem and that managed to get the
    line speed up to 2,600 downstream but had a slightly slower uplink..

    I was quite surprised at the difference between the two modems and was
    wondering if there are any other modems out there that could make even
    more difference?

    Anyone have any experience in this? and can recommend a modem that I
    guess is very good quality and can get the most out of a line?

    One that can deal with a lot of traffic also, then i can do away with
    smoothwall and just use the adsl router for everything..

    Any advise is appreciated.

    Thanks

    Zipper, Oct 28, 2006

  2. Zipper

    Zipper Guest

    Zipper wrote:
    > I have been using a billion ADSL router which is operating in "half
    > bridge" mode which is connected to an old pc running smoothwall.
    >
    > Very recently I have moved to faster plan (FS/FS).
    >
    > My billion modem is getting a speed of about 2300/860 as the line speed.
    > The uplink is good but the downspeed, well it could be a lot better, I
    > am a fair distance from the nearest exchange so just unlucky.
    >
    > Anyway I happened to try a dlink 504g modem and that managed to get the
    > line speed up to 2,600 downstream but had a slightly slower uplink..
    >
    > I was quite surprised at the difference between the two modems and was
    > wondering if there are any other modems out there that could make even
    > more difference?
    >
    > Anyone have any experience in this? and can recommend a modem that I
    > guess is very good quality and can get the most out of a line?
    >
    > One that can deal with a lot of traffic also, then i can do away with
    > smoothwall and just use the adsl router for everything..
    >
    > Any advise is appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

    Sorry correction there, when I tried the dlink modem the speed went up
    to 2900 :)

    Zipper, Oct 28, 2006

  3. Zipper

    whome Guest

    "Zipper" <> wrote in message
    >I have been using a billion ADSL router which is operating in "half bridge"
    >mode which is connected to an old pc running smoothwall.
    >
    > Very recently I have moved to faster plan (FS/FS).
    >
    > My billion modem is getting a speed of about 2300/860 as the line speed.
    > The uplink is good but the downspeed, well it could be a lot better, I am
    > a fair distance from the nearest exchange so just unlucky.
    >
    > Anyway I happened to try a dlink 504g modem and that managed to get the
    > line speed up to 2,600 downstream but had a slightly slower uplink..
    >
    > I was quite surprised at the difference between the two modems and was
    > wondering if there are any other modems out there that could make even
    > more difference?
    >
    > Anyone have any experience in this? and can recommend a modem that I guess
    > is very good quality and can get the most out of a line?
    >
    > One that can deal with a lot of traffic also, then i can do away with
    > smoothwall and just use the adsl router for everything..
    >
    > Any advise is appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

    I upgraded from a Dick smiths DSE adsl modem to a dlink adsl modem and the
    speed went from 2mbps up to the specced 3.5mbps (although, only via the
    jetstreamgames website, international sites are usually much slower).

    whome, Oct 28, 2006
  4. Zipper

    Blue Guest

    On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 13:57:39 +1300, Zipper wrote:

    > My billion modem is getting a speed of about 2300/860 as the line speed.
    > The uplink is good but the downspeed, well it could be a lot better, I
    > am a fair distance from the nearest exchange so just unlucky.
    >
    > Anyway I happened to try a dlink 504g modem and that managed to get the
    > line speed up to 2,600 downstream but had a slightly slower uplink..
    >
    > I was quite surprised at the difference between the two modems and was
    > wondering if there are any other modems out there that could make even
    > more difference?

    As would the time you tested them would do. What evidence do you have that
    either modem was not passin all that it received?

    2300 vs 2600 is equal in the real world, well nothing to write to the
    newsgroup about. ;-)

    Blue, Oct 28, 2006
  5. Zipper

    Zipper Guest

    Blue wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 13:57:39 +1300, Zipper wrote:
    >
    >> My billion modem is getting a speed of about 2300/860 as the line speed.
    >> The uplink is good but the downspeed, well it could be a lot better, I
    >> am a fair distance from the nearest exchange so just unlucky.
    >>
    >> Anyway I happened to try a dlink 504g modem and that managed to get the
    >> line speed up to 2,600 downstream but had a slightly slower uplink..
    >>
    >> I was quite surprised at the difference between the two modems and was
    >> wondering if there are any other modems out there that could make even
    >> more difference?

    > As would the time you tested them would do. What evidence do you have that
    > either modem was not passin all that it received?
    >
    > 2300 vs 2600 is equal in the real world, well nothing to write to the
    > newsgroup about. ;-)

    2900 vs 2300 and the adsl speed pages confirmed it
    Its an extra 70 Kbytes a second, quite a significant improvement really
    and you didnt answer my question, i was asking if there are other modems
    that are likely to do even better

    Zipper, Oct 28, 2006
  6. In article <4542acde$>, says...

    > Anyone have any experience in this? and can recommend a modem that I
    > guess is very good quality and can get the most out of a line?
    >
    > One that can deal with a lot of traffic also, then i can do away with
    > smoothwall and just use the adsl router for everything..
    >
    > Any advise is appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

    As per usual, USRobotics have a very good rep in this respect e.g. tenacity as
    well as being able to negotiate the best possible connect speed. If/when my
    3com ever packs up, I shall get one of those - realistically there's probably
    little between them I guess since 3com bought out USR so I expect they used the
    know-how they bought.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Oct 28, 2006
  7. On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 02:56:57 +1300, Peter Huebner
    <> wrote:

    >In article <4542acde$>, says...
    >>
    >> Anyone have any experience in this? and can recommend a modem that I
    >> guess is very good quality and can get the most out of a line?
    >>
    >> One that can deal with a lot of traffic also, then i can do away with
    >> smoothwall and just use the adsl router for everything..
    >>
    >> Any advise is appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >As per usual, USRobotics have a very good rep in this respect e.g. tenacity as
    >well as being able to negotiate the best possible connect speed. If/when my
    >3com ever packs up, I shall get one of those - realistically there's probably
    >little between them I guess since 3com bought out USR so I expect they used the
    >know-how they bought.
    >
    >-P.

    3Com purchased US Robotics almost 10 years ago (1997). I doubt there
    was a lot of ADSL technology around back then :)

    Jason Clinton, Oct 28, 2006
  8. Zipper

    Enkidu Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <4542acde$>, says...
    >> Anyone have any experience in this? and can recommend a modem that
    >> I guess is very good quality and can get the most out of a line?
    >>
    >> One that can deal with a lot of traffic also, then i can do away
    >> with smoothwall and just use the adsl router for everything..

    > As per usual, USRobotics have a very good rep in this respect e.g.
    > tenacity as well as being able to negotiate the best possible connect
    > speed.

    I tried a USR ADSL modem after having had a USR dialup modem for many
    years and loving it. MY first ADSL modem was an M11 which was good if
    slow. My second was a Generation I DSL504 which was rock solid. Then I
    got a USR (forgot the model).

    What a shock! I had to reset the USR modem two to three times a day, so
    I sent it back. It was reused elsewhere and reportedly was rock solid. I
    got a DSL G604T and it has been rock steady on my line.

    On the face of it, there is something about my line that the USR modem
    did not like. Reportedly it was fine on another line. It's unlikely that
    the USR was marginal, and it is unlikely that the line is marginal since
    all the other ADSL modems worked fine. It's a mystery.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 29, 2006
  9. Zipper <> wrote:

    > I have been using a billion ADSL router which is operating in "half
    > bridge" mode which is connected to an old pc running smoothwall.
    >
    > Very recently I have moved to faster plan (FS/FS).
    >
    > My billion modem is getting a speed of about 2300/860 as the line speed.
    > The uplink is good but the downspeed, well it could be a lot better, I
    > am a fair distance from the nearest exchange so just unlucky.
    >
    > Anyway I happened to try a dlink 504g modem and that managed to get the
    > line speed up to 2,600 downstream but had a slightly slower uplink..
    >
    > I was quite surprised at the difference between the two modems and was
    > wondering if there are any other modems out there that could make even
    > more difference?
    >
    > Anyone have any experience in this? and can recommend a modem that I
    > guess is very good quality and can get the most out of a line?
    >
    > One that can deal with a lot of traffic also, then i can do away with
    > smoothwall and just use the adsl router for everything..
    >
    > Any advise is appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

    I like my ZyXEL P660H a lot. It also comes as the P660HW which has
    802.11g WiFi as well. It has worked flawlessly since installed early
    this year and is not hard to configure via it's web-based UI. I couldn't
    be happier with it and the other ZyXEL gear I bought.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 29, 2006
  10. Zipper

    Richard Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

    > I like my ZyXEL P660H a lot. It also comes as the P660HW which has
    > 802.11g WiFi as well. It has worked flawlessly since installed early
    > this year and is not hard to configure via it's web-based UI. I couldn't
    > be happier with it and the other ZyXEL gear I bought.

    I am always cautious when I simply hear "flawless" used to describe
    consumer networking gear, as I have never had a router thru here which I
    would come anywhere near close to calling flawless.

    Have you ever had to powercycle the router to get it to resume a
    connection. Have you ever lost access to the http server on the router.
    Does it reconnect the PPP session when it drops promptly?

    Richard, Oct 29, 2006
  11. Zipper

    David Guest

    Zipper wrote:
    > Any advise is appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

    (Had to snip cos aoie is gay)

    I had the DSE modem router, it struggled to achieve 2000kbits, now I
    have the Linksys 504 (with wireless and 2 VOIP phone ports) and it
    achieves a downstream speed of 7040kbps. I'm very happy with it, only
    downside is that it gets quite hot, suggesting it uses (wastes) a fair
    amount of electricity.

    David, Oct 30, 2006
  12. Zipper

    Enkidu Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >
    >> I like my ZyXEL P660H a lot. It also comes as the P660HW which has
    >> 802.11g WiFi as well. It has worked flawlessly since installed early
    >> this year and is not hard to configure via it's web-based UI. I couldn't
    >> be happier with it and the other ZyXEL gear I bought.

    > I am always cautious when I simply hear "flawless" used to describe
    > consumer networking gear, as I have never had a router thru here which I
    > would come anywhere near close to calling flawless.
    >
    > Have you ever had to powercycle the router to get it to resume a
    > connection. Have you ever lost access to the http server on the router.
    > Does it reconnect the PPP session when it drops promptly?

    All the routers I've had (with the exception of the USR, which I don't
    blame on the USR per se) have been rock solid. Never had to power cycle
    them, never lost access to the server on the router (except the M11,
    which I don't remember having one), and I've never noticed a break in
    the ppp session. My routers are all on 24x7.

    I'd suspect your line, and not the modems.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 30, 2006
  13. Richard <> wrote:

    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >
    > > I like my ZyXEL P660H a lot. It also comes as the P660HW which has
    > > 802.11g WiFi as well. It has worked flawlessly since installed early
    > > this year and is not hard to configure via it's web-based UI. I couldn't
    > > be happier with it and the other ZyXEL gear I bought.

    > I am always cautious when I simply hear "flawless" used to describe
    > consumer networking gear, as I have never had a router thru here which I
    > would come anywhere near close to calling flawless.
    >
    > Have you ever had to powercycle the router to get it to resume a
    > connection. Have you ever lost access to the http server on the router.
    > Does it reconnect the PPP session when it drops promptly?

    I've never had to power cycle my ZyXEL P660H to get it to reconnect.
    I've never not been able to access the router's web-based config page.
    It also reconnects if my ISP drops my connection every time. The only
    downside I've noticed about the ZyXEL P660H compared to my old
    Speedtouch 510v4 (LOVED those! They were the very DEFINITION of rock
    solid, but sadly do not auto-restart after a power cut without some
    moderately serious hardware hacking) is it takes a longer time to
    restart and reconnect, but that isn't a very big issue, as it's almost
    never power cycled.

    All in all I highly recommend the P660. However - if you don't mind no
    auto-restart or are handy with a soldering iron - get an old Speedtouch
    510v4. They're dirt cheap on the secondhand market nowadays and really
    very powerful for such old kit.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Oct 30, 2006
  14. T'was the Mon, 30 Oct 2006 21:47:10 +1300 when I remembered
    (Jamie Kahn Genet) saying something like
    this:

    >All in all I highly recommend the P660. However - if you don't mind no
    >auto-restart or are handy with a soldering iron - get an old Speedtouch
    >510v4. They're dirt cheap on the secondhand market nowadays and really
    >very powerful for such old kit.

    I go the other way. I've found my P660HW to be average at best,
    especially the web interface and port forwarding abilities. And the
    firmware upgrade ZyXEL recommended on their website crippled the
    machine. I had a Billion router prior to that, and that was simply
    awesome.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Oct 30, 2006
  15. Zipper

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Mon, 30 Oct 2006 21:47:10 +1300 when I remembered
    > (Jamie Kahn Genet) saying something like
    > this:
    >
    >> All in all I highly recommend the P660. However - if you don't mind no
    >> auto-restart or are handy with a soldering iron - get an old Speedtouch
    >> 510v4. They're dirt cheap on the secondhand market nowadays and really
    >> very powerful for such old kit.

    > I go the other way. I've found my P660HW to be average at best,
    > especially the web interface and port forwarding abilities. And the
    > firmware upgrade ZyXEL recommended on their website crippled the
    > machine. I had a Billion router prior to that, and that was simply
    > awesome.

    All (LOL) aside My little dynalink rta1320 seems to to the job quight well.

    I cant comment on speed! have not had anything to compare it to but it
    is faster than works connection, and faster than the sm200d card.

    Connectivity well I have not had to reboot it for it to connect I have
    had the thing for 3 to 4 months!

    Do I trust it's capability's? No! it is 1/2 bridged so to speak! using
    ipcop as the firewall, No issues with p2p, ect ect.

    The only issue I have is if it looses it's connection and reconnects,
    about every 2~4 days the red interface disconnects on my ipcop box and
    some times I have to manually reconnect the red interface.

    as for lag and other bad things I have not really been the big bad
    boogie monster yet.

    Robert Cooze, Oct 30, 2006
  16. Zipper

    Richard Guest

    Robert Cooze wrote:

    > All (LOL) aside My little dynalink rta1320 seems to to the job quight well.

    Thats funny, the flatmate is using one of these, and without fail once a
    week the net will start to lag and then die, the PPP light is out and
    the web interface doesnt respond, or if it does its so slow that its
    near useless, and it still wont reconnect. Powercycle solves it. Line
    stats were good last time we had them checked by someone at telecom,
    very few errors over several hours despite the long distance and
    corresponding low sync speeds.

    Friend had one, same thing happened to him, 3 times in one week found
    the connection dead, he never even got a call back from dynalinks
    useless support team despite leaving 2 messages so took it back.

    Richard, Oct 31, 2006
  17. Zipper

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Robert Cooze wrote:
    >
    >> All (LOL) aside My little dynalink rta1320 seems to to the job quight
    >> well.

    > Thats funny, the flatmate is using one of these, and without fail once a
    > week the net will start to lag and then die, the PPP light is out and
    > the web interface doesnt respond, or if it does its so slow that its
    > near useless, and it still wont reconnect. Powercycle solves it. Line
    > stats were good last time we had them checked by someone at telecom,
    > very few errors over several hours despite the long distance and
    > corresponding low sync speeds.
    >
    > Friend had one, same thing happened to him, 3 times in one week found
    > the connection dead, he never even got a call back from dynalinks
    > useless support team despite leaving 2 messages so took it back.

    Perhaps I was lucky or I was so prepared for the worst experience that
    it never happened.

    Robert Cooze, Oct 31, 2006
  18. Zipper

    Lonney Guest

    I have a Zyxel 660HW (ADSL2+/4LAN/802.11g)

    The *ONLY* problem I have ever had with it was WPA didn't work
    properly and would drop the wifi connection when it rotated the keys, a
    firmware update (was one revision behind) fixed this _AND_ caused no
    other problems, and added some new features. I have found it to be
    extremely stable and wifi range great - covers our 2 level 5 bedroom
    house no problems.

    Port forwarding works fine! I have various ports forwarded through
    mine. So I don't know what your problem is. You do the port forward
    in the NAT section. Then add a rule to the firewall. These routers have
    what I would call a REAL rule based firewall in them (that is ICSA
    certified too), unlike those rubbish dlink's and what have you.

    I will admit that the web interface could be better, but it functions
    perfectly fine. The telnet interface is quite good as well. Zyxel adsl
    routers are from a company that builds telco gear, so I guess they
    assume you know what you are doing!

    :)

    Lonney, Oct 31, 2006
  19. T'was the 31 Oct 2006 09:41:52 -0800 when I remembered "Lonney"
    <> saying something like this:

    >The *ONLY* problem I have ever had with it was WPA didn't work
    >properly and would drop the wifi connection when it rotated the keys, a
    >firmware update (was one revision behind) fixed this _AND_ caused no
    >other problems, and added some new features. I have found it to be
    >extremely stable and wifi range great - covers our 2 level 5 bedroom
    >house no problems.

    The v10 firmware revision? Mine shipped with the v9 revision, upgraded
    to v10 and it killed the machine pretty much. Managed to find a v11
    revision which is what I'm currently on and working OK with.

    >Port forwarding works fine! I have various ports forwarded through
    >mine. So I don't know what your problem is. You do the port forward
    >in the NAT section. Then add a rule to the firewall. These routers have
    >what I would call a REAL rule based firewall in them (that is ICSA
    >certified too), unlike those rubbish dlink's and what have you.

    My biggest bugbear (and perhaps the reason why I switch back to the
    Billion router and just use the P660HW as a switch) is if I set up a
    web server on one of my machines on port 80, and then access that
    through my external IP address, the P660HW thinks I'm referring to
    itself not the web server. This means I need to use the internal IP
    address to access the web server, which doesn't work if a website is
    configured to only accept requests from the one domain name (resolving
    to the external IP address). This is an internal problem only, if I
    access my external IP address from any other internet connection, I
    get forwarded to the appropriate machine.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Oct 31, 2006
  20. Zipper

    Richard Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > My biggest bugbear (and perhaps the reason why I switch back to the
    > Billion router and just use the P660HW as a switch) is if I set up a
    > web server on one of my machines on port 80, and then access that
    > through my external IP address, the P660HW thinks I'm referring to
    > itself not the web server. This means I need to use the internal IP
    > address to access the web server, which doesn't work if a website is
    > configured to only accept requests from the one domain name (resolving
    > to the external IP address). This is an internal problem only, if I
    > access my external IP address from any other internet connection, I
    > get forwarded to the appropriate machine.

    Loopback is poorly supported on most routers, because you cant do nat in
    the normal way, since that would mean that the internal server tries to
    reply directly to the server that initiated the connection, which will
    be all like "WTF" because it sent it to the router.

    Some routers do it quite well but its something that rarely needs to be
    done. You can work around it by setting your external IP up on the
    webserver on a dummy adaptor and setting up a static route for that
    single address to the webservers private lan IP address, this is what I
    have seen a few places do that have needed game servers behind nat which
    are unhappy if the payload IP doesnt match what it thinks it should do.

    Richard, Nov 1, 2006