    Does the new Gone With The Wind package come with the full version of the
    movie, or is it the politically correct hackjob that was released a few years
    ago?

    Del March, Nov 11, 2004

  2. On 11 Nov 2004, Del March wrote:

    > Does the new Gone With The Wind package come with the full version of the
    > movie, or is it the politically correct hackjob that was released a few years
    > ago?

    No, in this version the North shoots first.

    swac

    Stephen Cooke, Nov 11, 2004

  3. Del March

    P Pron Guest

    Del March wrote:
    > Does the new Gone With The Wind package come with the full version of
    > the movie, or is it the politically correct hackjob that was released
    > a few years ago?

    What politically correct hackjob is that?

    paul

    P Pron, Nov 11, 2004
  4. >Del March wrote:
    >> Does the new Gone With The Wind package come with the full version of
    >> the movie, or is it the politically correct hackjob that was released
    >> a few years ago?

    >What politically correct hackjob is that?
    >
    >paul

    The version where the Lithuanians shoots first and the Estonians cum from
    behind and win it in an all out bang up job at Gettysburg!
    Best,

    Mark Allen Zimmerman * Chicago

    MarkZimmerman, Nov 12, 2004
  5. Del March

    Del March Guest

    << What politically correct hackjob is that? >><BR><BR>
    The one where all references to the "n" word were removed.

    Del March, Nov 13, 2004
  6. Del March

    P Pron Guest

    Del March wrote:
    > << What politically correct hackjob is that? >><BR><BR>
    > The one where all references to the "n" word were removed.

    There's a 2-part article at http://www.filmtribune.com/censorship.html which
    says (in part 2) that -

    ".........it must be remembered that without the [Motion Picture Production]
    Code, the word "nigger" would also have been in the 1939 classic, as it was
    Breen who insisted that the word should be left out. Would "Gone With the
    Wind" be a classic now if this pejorative and offensive word had crept in
    the final script?"

    Do you know something different? Or is your claim a myth that hasn't reached
    Snopes.com yet?

    paul

    P Pron, Nov 13, 2004
  7. Del March

    Card53 Guest

    >Del March wrote:
    >> << What politically correct hackjob is that? >>

    >> The one where all references to the "n" word were removed.There's a 2-part

    >article at http://www.filmtribune.com/censorship.html which says (in part 2)
    >that -".........it must be remembered that without the [Motion Picture
    >Production] Code, the word "nigger" would also have been in the 1939 classic,
    >as it was Breen who insisted that the word should be left out. Would "Gone
    >With the Wind" be a classic now if this pejorative and offensive word had
    >crept in the final script?"Do you know something different? Or is your claim
    >a myth that hasn't reached Snopes.com yet?paul

    There's nothing to his claim. The "n" word was never in GWTW and no edited or
    "hackjob" print has ever been issued. The only butchery the film has ever
    undergone was when it was cropped for the 70mm release in 1967. But "cropped"
    is not to be confused with "edited."

    John Larrabee
    Co-founder: Laurel & Hardy Central
    http://laurelandhardycentral.com

    (To respond via e-mail, remove "nixspam")

    Card53, Nov 13, 2004
  8. Del March

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Del March wrote:
    > << What politically correct hackjob is that? >><BR><BR>
    >
    > The one where all references to the "n" word were removed.

    I don't recall a time that that word was ever in the movie.

    Mike Kohary, Nov 15, 2004
  9. Del March

    jayembee Guest

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote:

    >Del March wrote:
    >>> What politically correct hackjob is that?

    >> The one where all references to the "n" word were removed.

    > I don't recall a time that that word was ever in the movie.

    Well, see, there you go! :)

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Nov 15, 2004
  10. "Card53" <> wrote in message

    <<There's nothing to his claim. The "n" word was never in GWTW and no
    edited or "hackjob" print has ever been issued. The only butchery the
    film has ever undergone was when it was cropped for the 70mm release in
    1967. But "cropped" is not to be confused with "edited.">>

    Of course, the "N" word appeared in the book, big time. But, even with a
    segregated South, the movie was still being prepared during 1938-1939, a
    time of impending world war. It would have been difficult to harp on the
    good old Southern days, whose virtues were founded on genocide and
    slavery, when the US would soon be rallying all of its citizens to
    defeat similar governments.

    Hitler was rounding up certain racial groups into concentration camps
    where they were enslaved and then killed. Only 50 years earlier,
    American Indians were still being exterminated or forced to live in
    concentration camps, which were called "reservations." The evil Japanese
    were damned for enslaving the Chinese and Manchurians, yet only 75 years
    earlier, blacks were still working as slaves in the southern American
    states. In the Western United States, Japanese-American citizens would
    soon be rounded up, stripped of their rights and property and placed in
    relocation camps -- "for their own protection."

    It was easy for all non-white Americans to see the irony of their being
    called upon to defeat the racial injustices outside of the US when
    vestiges of these same injustices remained in their own country.
    Therefore, _Gone With The Wind_ had to be cleansed of such things as
    slave auctions, beatings, lynchings and the Ku Klux Klan. Scarlett did
    beat the crap out of Prissy once and the KKK meeting was referred to as
    a "political" meeting. But overall, the movie was totally sanitized and
    it was the suffering of the white Southerners that was emphasized.

    About as close as the movie came to using the 'N" word was when Ashley
    was reminiscing about his good old slave-master days: "Oh, the lazy
    days, the warm, still country twilights, the high, soft Negro laughter
    from the quarters, the golden warmth and security of those days." The
    "golden warmth and security of those days" didn't exist for slaves who
    were worked hard, beaten, forced to live in hovels and often sold
    "down the river", far away from their families.

    The Yankee-loving Scalawag, Rhett Butler, called Prissy "a simple-minded
    darky" as Atlanta was burning and later did a musical number with Dr.
    Meade and Ashley after their escapades on Decatur Road: "All the darkys
    and I sing ...."

    But through it all, the "N" word was never used in the script of _GWTW_.

    One-Shot Scot, Nov 15, 2004
  11. Del March

    AAbrams0264 Guest

    <<
    There's nothing to his claim. The "n" word was never in GWTW >>

    I almost positive that it was in it and was changed (overdubbed with another
    word) at least for the last theatrical release. It was spoken by one of the
    servants when Scarlett returns to Tara during the war and asks the staff to
    help in the fields. The servant says "but we is house n-----s".

    AAbrams0264, Nov 17, 2004
  12. Del March

    Card53 Guest

    ><<
    >There's nothing to his claim. The "n" word was never in GWTW >>
    >
    >I almost positive that it was in it and was changed (overdubbed with another
    >word) at least for the last theatrical release. It was spoken by one of the
    >servants when Scarlett returns to Tara during the war and asks the staff to
    >help in the fields. The servant says "but we is house n-----s".

    Wrong. The line is "We's house workers" and has always been. The black actors
    in the film demanded that the n-word be removed from the script and Selznick
    complied. There was an Internet rumor that Ted Turner had the line redubbed,
    but there's nothing to the rumor.

    Card53, Nov 17, 2004