Gone With The Wind: Outstanding Warner Packaging.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by One-Shot Scot, Nov 10, 2004.

  1. I know that there are many on this newsgroup who feel that _Gone With
    The Wind_ is an overlong, corny Civil War soap opera. While this may be
    true, the movie has a certain addictive quality that is impossible to
    dismiss. In any event, the latest 2-disk movie DVD version of _Gone With
    The Wind_ looks and sounds better than it ever has on home video. The
    Wal-Mart price for this $40 list price set was $24.48, and this is the
    best price that I have seen.

    My post does not concern the movie, but rather, its packaging. Warner
    has managed to produce 4 flawless DVDs and then place them into a
    gatefold package with no discernable scratches or fingerprints. In
    addition to this, all of the disks perform flawlessly and there is
    absolutely no vibration when they are in the player. Universal has
    accomplished the same feat with its multi-disc packages, including its
    Monster series.

    On the other hand, Disney is still having problems with its
    multiple-disk packaging. Scratched disks and broken boxes and dented
    tins are well known Disney problems:

    It is common knowledge that there is no quality control as far as the
    packaging of Disney double-disk sets is concerned. The irony here is
    that Disney is making a big deal out of the packaging of its tin can
    "Treasures" series, yet this DVD series is plagued with scratched disks,
    broken boxes and dented tins. In my opinion, the tin cans are nothing
    more than a marketing gimmick and the tin cans are a storage nuisance.

    My latest problems with the Walt Disney Treasures involved
    _Tomorrowland_ and _On The Front Lines_:

    Tomorrowland #1: Dented tin, fingerprints and scratches on disk #1,
    broken lock-tab on the top front part of the box.

    Tomorrowland #2: Fingerprints and scratches on disk #1 and creased
    and scuffed "Treasures" booklet.

    By combining the best parts of two Tomorrowland sets, I was able to
    create an acceptable set. The scratches on the better disk #1 are
    concentrated close enough to the outer edge of the disk that they are
    probably out of the data area.

    On The Front Lines #1: Fingerprints and scratches on disk #1, as
    well as a hazy imprint of the silk-screened image of the disk which
    was beneath it in the stack. Scratches on disk #2 and broken
    lock-tabs on the top front and back parts of the box. This package
    had no redeemable parts, so I exchanged it for a new package.

    On The Front Lines #2: A hazy imprint of the silk-screened image of
    the disk which was beneath it in the stack. I reluctantly kept this
    set.

    With non-existent quality control at Disney, I purchase Disney
    double-disk sets only from local retailers who will allow me to combine
    the undamaged parts of two or more sets.

    Here are the details of the two "Certificate of Authenticity" inserts
    from the sets that I kept:

    Tomorrowland: 089,800 / 105,000

    On The Front Lines: 085,652 / 250,000

    I didn't write down the numbers from the rejected sets, but they came
    out of the same initial shipment.

    Has anyone else been victimized by the poor quality of Disney
    double-disk sets? Why not call Buena Vista and tell them that you don't
    appreciate their shoddy product?

    1-800-723-4763 (US)

    1-888-877-2843 (Canada)

    One-Shot Scot, Nov 10, 2004

  2. One-Shot Scot

    Mac Breck Guest

    "One-Shot Scot" <> wrote in message
    > I know that there are many on this newsgroup who feel that

    _Gone With
    > The Wind_ is an overlong, corny Civil War soap opera.

    While this may be
    > true, the movie has a certain addictive quality that is

    impossible to
    > dismiss. In any event, the latest 2-disk movie DVD version

    of _Gone With
    > The Wind_ looks and sounds better than it ever has on home

    video. The
    > Wal-Mart price for this $40 list price set was $24.48, and

    this is the
    > best price that I have seen.
    >
    > My post does not concern the movie, but rather, its

    packaging. Warner
    > has managed to produce 4 flawless DVDs and then place them

    into a
    > gatefold package with no discernable scratches or

    fingerprints. In
    > addition to this, all of the disks perform flawlessly and

    there is
    > absolutely no vibration when they are in the player.

    If only they could manage this with their Babylon 5 Season
    Set and Movie Collection packaging. <rolleyes> So far, out
    of my six sets, they're 0 for 6 on being securely fastened
    to their hubs and without scratches when the shrinkwrap was
    removed.

    --
    Mac Breck (KoshN) - from the desktop PC

    Mac Breck, Nov 11, 2004