Gone With The Wind: 4-Disk Set 11-9-04.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by One-Shot Scot, Jul 31, 2004.

  1. JULY 30 | The movie that many call one of the greatest of all time will
    never be gone with the wind as long as there are new restoration
    techniques to be employed and new bonus features to be produced.

    Warner Home Video will release the latest and greatest special edition
    of Gone With the Wind on Nov. 9 (prebook Oct. 12; $39.92 SRP/$29.95
    MAP), featuring five hours of old and new documentaries, interviews and
    other bonus features that are all new to DVD in a four-disc set.

    The 65-year-old movie has been through yet another digital restoration,
    this time with Warner's "Ultra-Resolution" technology used on recent
    DVDs of Singin' in the Rain, The Adventures of Robin Hood and Meet Me in
    St. Louis.

    The four-hour movie is presented across two dual-layer discs in order to
    ensure the most favorable compression rate, according to WHV senior VP
    classic catalog George Feltenstein, with sound in the original mono or
    an optional 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtrack.

    Among the bonus features is a 17-minute featurette on the restoration
    process, which will be included on a retailer promotional screener along
    with a promo reel, and the critically acclaimed 1989 two-hour The Making
    of a Legend documentary, which was sold separately from all previous
    VHS, DVD and laserdisc versions of Wind that have been on the market
    since 1985.

    All incarnations of Wind held a high collector's price until the VHS was
    finally repriced in 1999 timed with the first DVD release, which offers
    almost no bonus features.

    About 8.5 million copies of all home video versions of the movie have
    been sold to date.

    The new Gone With the Wind Four Disc Collector's Edition offers hours
    more extras than were included on the 1991 five-disc, nine-sided
    laserdisc release, including a recent rare interview with 88-year-old
    star Olivia de Havilland that is part of a new 45-minute program called
    Melanie Remembers: Olivia de Havilland Recalls Gone With the Wind. Other
    bonus features include a new full-length audio commentary by film
    historian Rudy Behlmer, a 66-minute documentary on Clark Gable and a
    45-minute documentary on Vivien Leigh.

    Warner will support the release with a multimillion-dollar media
    campaign that will reach 75% of adults ages 25 to 54 more than two times
    each and create more than 300 million impressions.

    For the first time, the original three-strip Technicolor negatives have
    been digitally separated and aligned frame-by-frame in a computer and
    scanned at high-resolution. The result, according to Feltenstein, is
    that it does not have the density of having to go through three pieces
    of film, creating even more picture information than was seen in 1939,
    while remaining faithful to an original 1939 Technicolor release print
    that was originally used for corporate reference.

    Also included with each set is a full-color reproduction of the original
    22-page souvenir booklet that was sold during premiere road-show
    engagements from 1939 through 1941.

    Warner recruited Christopher Plummer, who narrated the Making of a
    Legend documentary 15 years ago, to narrate and introduce many of the
    bonus features on the new DVD.

    http://www.videobusiness.com/article.asp?articleID=8352&catType=NEWS
    One-Shot Scot, Jul 31, 2004

  2. One-Shot Scot

    TOM RICCI Guest

    Sounds great to bad there no deleted scenes, guess they been lost, such as
    Bonnie serving her mother Scarlet in bed
    TOM RICCI, Jul 31, 2004

  3. One-Shot Scot

    Galley Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 06:17:14 -0700, "One-Shot Scot" <> spewed
    forth these words of wisdom:

    >JULY 30 | The movie that many call one of the greatest of all time will
    >never be gone with the wind as long as there are new restoration
    >techniques to be employed and new bonus features to be produced.
    >
    >Warner Home Video will release the latest and greatest special edition
    >of Gone With the Wind on Nov. 9 (prebook Oct. 12; $39.92 SRP/$29.95
    >MAP), featuring five hours of old and new documentaries, interviews and
    >other bonus features that are all new to DVD in a four-disc set.

    My ex-wife is gonna "cream her jeans" when she read's this! ;-)

    Galley
    Galley, Aug 1, 2004
  4. On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 06:17:14 -0700, "One-Shot Scot" <>
    wrote:

    >Warner Home Video will release the latest and greatest special edition
    >of Gone With the Wind on Nov. 9 (prebook Oct. 12; $39.92 SRP/$29.95
    >MAP), featuring five hours of old and new documentaries, interviews and
    >other bonus features that are all new to DVD in a four-disc set.

    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Cato The Elder, Aug 1, 2004
  5. "Galley" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 06:17:14 -0700, "One-Shot Scot" <>
    > spewed forth these words of wisdom:
    >
    > >JULY 30 | The movie that many call one of the greatest of all time
    > >will never be gone with the wind as long as there are new
    > >restoration techniques to be employed and new bonus features to
    > >be produced.
    > >
    > >Warner Home Video will release the latest and greatest special
    > >edition of Gone With the Wind on Nov. 9 (prebook Oct. 12; $39.92
    > >SRP/$29.95 MAP), featuring five hours of old and new documentaries,
    > >interviews and other bonus features that are all new to DVD in a
    > >four-disc set.
    > >

    > My ex-wife is gonna "cream her jeans" when she read's this! ;-)

    If she will be upgrading from the first pathetic DVD, she definitely
    will.

    The current DVD version of _GWTW_ has an all-too-sharp, overly enhanced
    picture with very disappointing color, particualrly when compared with
    the last laser disk version.

    This lack of color is particularly apparent in the opening scenes where
    Scarlett is walking along the creek with her father. In the laser disk
    version, the forest and ground are rich with green coloring in the
    leaves and grass. On the DVD, everything which is supposed to be green
    has a washed out brownish red appearance. The same lack of green is
    evident in the scene where Scarlett arrives at the Wilkes' plantation.
    As the carriage pulls up to the door, where the pillars of the house can
    be seen, the ivy covering the house and the hedge in the foreground are
    black and white with a touch of brownish red. On the laser disk, the ivy
    and hedge are green as nature intended.

    The lack of the color green continues to present problems throughout the
    DVD. The famous green dress which Mammy makes for Scarlett out of Miss
    Ellen's portieres is a washed out green-gray mess on the DVD. Other
    colors suffer as well on the DVD.

    In addition, MGM has left out some of the extras which were promised in
    the enclosed booklet. Of the five Special Features, only two made it to
    the disk. The enclosed _Gone With The Wind_ booklet promises:

    1. Theatrical Trailer

    2. Premier Footage

    3. Reissue Premier Footage

    4. Screen Tests

    5. Film Trivia

    Only items 1 and 5 made it to the disk.

    It looks like the new DVD will solve all of these problems.
    One-Shot Scot, Aug 2, 2004
  6. "TOM RICCI" <> wrote in message
    > Sounds great to bad there no deleted scenes, guess they been lost,

    such
    > as Bonnie serving her mother Scarlet in bed.

    Yes, the magically-appearing breakfast tray was never explained.

    There's no telling what else got thrown out. Here is the caption from a
    picture appearing on page 58 of Ronald Haver's _David O. Selznick's Gone
    With The Wind_:

    "Film editor Hal Dern (center) is bent over a Movieola examining a
    sequence from _Gone With The Wind_ with his associate, James Newcom (far
    left), while assistant film editors Richard van Enger and Ernest Leadly
    and an unidentified associate editor continue trying to reduce the
    160,000 feet of printed film to its final 18,000-foot length."

    _Gone With The Wind_ is the most popular of all Civil War soap operas.
    Considering that in the book, Scarlett not only had the three husbands
    mentioned in the movie, she also had a whole litter of other kids, in
    addition to Bonnie. The book also had numerous important characters
    whose stories never made it into to the movie. An expanded Belle Watling
    epic would be a good supplement, what with her bastard child being Rhett
    Butler's son and all.

    With over 30 hours of filmed material available, _Gone With The Wind_
    could have been one of the best 10-disk DVD set ever. But, it appears
    that all 142,000 feet of the unused printed film was destroyed.
    One-Shot Scot, Aug 2, 2004