    learning the joys of working with a database that was state of the art
    in 1987.

    Thank you in advance for any help.
    Viller Ramone, Jul 24, 2003

  2. I'm not sure how late it's open till but you can try the Indianapolis Motor
    Speedway and Museum.

    David G. Stinner, Jul 24, 2003

  3. Viller Ramone

    NJ Guest

    Hey Tony,

    I'll be in Trafalgar in August (and staying in Franklin). Any
    recommendations for a 24hr trip? (just going to a wedding)

    NJ, Jul 24, 2003
  4. Viller Ramone

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On 24 Jul 2003 16:12:43 GMT, NJ <> wrote:

    >Hey Tony,
    >
    >I'll be in Trafalgar in August (and staying in Franklin). Any
    >recommendations for a 24hr trip? (just going to a wedding)

    Say "Hello" to Nelson's ghost for me and tell him I thought the Irish
    treated him rudely when they blew up his statue. Oh
    .....wait....different Trafalgar.

    My parents were married in Franklin.

    Don't worry about the length of time you have in Indianapolis. It
    will seem much longer.

    --
    Tony Cooper aka:
    Provider of Jots, Tittles, and Oy!s
    Tony Cooper, Jul 24, 2003
  5. Viller Ramone

    Glenn Shaw Guest

    Viller Ramone wrote in rec.photo.digital:

    > My company has decided to send me to Indianapolis for a week's
    > training starting next Monday. As I know little more about Indiana
    > than what could be gleaned from a former Indianan friend's collection
    > of wildly inappropriate (and doubtless wholly inaccurate) jokes
    > involving said state's inhabitants and various farm animals, I'd like
    > some recommendations as to things to do and things to photograph. A
    > web search has shown there to be what looks like a very good art
    > museum, which, schedule permitting, I'll be visiting.

    As mentioned before, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is always a good
    place to visit, especially the Hall of Fame Museum on the Speedway
    grounds.

    > Anything else I shouldn't miss? Any good parks or botanical gardens?

    There's the White River Gardens, located between the Indianapolis Zoo and the White River
    near Downtown. I've never been there myself, but I hear that it's a very nice place. (I
    also hear that they have butterflies flittering about in the arboretum this time of the
    year.)

    White River Gardens and the Indianapolis Zoo are also part of the White River State Park,
    one of the largest parks in the city, which also contains many popular venues like the
    Indiana State Museum, the NCAA Headquarters and Hall of Champions, Victory Field, the
    Eiteljorg Museum, and the Congressional Medal of Honor Memorial. Many of the locales
    within the park are also good locations for taking pictures of the Indy skyline. :)

    Other Downtown venues you might want to check out include the Indianapolis Artsgarden,
    Monument Circle and Conseco Fieldhouse. The Artsgarden -- a glass-domed structure
    suspended over Washington and Illinois Streets -- looks wonderful all lit up at night,
    and the Circle is always very brightly lit at night, with lights strung up in the trees
    surrounding the brick-paved Circle and it's centerpiece, the Soldiers and Sailors
    Monument. (Too bad you couldn't come over during the Christmas holiday season; that's
    when the Soldiers and Sailors Monument is strung up and lit up like a big Christmas
    tree.) Conseco Fieldhouse hosts a lot of concerts and special events, and is home court
    for the Pacers and Fever pro basketball teams.

    I hope this helps, and I hope you enjoy your stay here in Indy. :)

    --
    Glenn Shaw
    Indianapolis, IN
    Glenn Shaw, Jul 24, 2003
  6. Viller Ramone

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:23:36 -0500, Glenn Shaw
    <9.co.jp> wrote:

    >White River Gardens and the Indianapolis Zoo are also part of the White River State Park,
    >one of the largest parks in the city, which also contains many popular venues like the
    >Indiana State Museum, the NCAA Headquarters and Hall of Champions,

    I hope Bobby Knight and Branch McCracken are enshrined there.

    >Victory Field, the
    >Eiteljorg Museum,

    So the Eiteljorg's popped for a museum, hunh? I went to school with
    Harrison Eiteljorg's son Jack. They should put something back since
    they made their piles of money from strip mining coal and tearing up
    great parts of Southern Indiana and Kentucky. Probably stocked the
    museum with Indian artifacts they bulldozed out.

    >and the Congressional Medal of Honor Memorial. Many of the locales
    >within the park are also good locations for taking pictures of the Indy skyline. :)
    >
    >Other Downtown venues you might want to check out include the Indianapolis Artsgarden,
    >Monument Circle and Conseco Fieldhouse. The Artsgarden -- a glass-domed structure
    >suspended over Washington and Illinois Streets -- looks wonderful all lit up at night,
    >and the Circle is always very brightly lit at night, with lights strung up in the trees
    >surrounding the brick-paved Circle and it's centerpiece, the Soldiers and Sailors
    >Monument.

    Is the City Market gone? Gone the way of Blacker's Chili Parlor?
    (Something like 99 varieties of chili, and better than any Cincinnati
    chili) The Fireside Inn? Ayre's clock? St Elmo's Steak & Chop House?

    Tony Cooper, Jul 24, 2003
  7. On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 11:10:12 -0400, Tony Cooper
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 23:59:59 -0500, Viller Ramone
    ><> wrote:
    >First, learn to refer to us as Hoosiers and not as an "Indianan".

    You know, I was trying to remember that word, but I kept fixating on
    "cornhusker," which I knew was wrong. Decided to play it safe rather
    than try to get any Hoosier street cred and instead looking like a
    total tool..

    >Even if you are not an automobile racing fan, a visit to the
    >Indianapolis Motor Speedway - home of the Indianapolis 500 - is like
    >catching Big Ben in London even if you are not a clock fan.

    I'll likely do this.

    <a bunch of very funny stuff snipped>
    >The Children's Museum (my grandmother was one of the founders) is a
    >rare treat for one of any age. The Circle (a monument in the center
    >of downtown) is an obligatory photo opportunity.

    My Hoosier friend also said this museum was keen, and you've fully
    convinced me. If it's open at any point when I'm not learning about
    the wonders of db3 (and how it's the only database we as a society
    will ever need), I'll check it out as well.

    <more funny stuff snipped>
    Thank you for the info and the humor. This would've been a worthwhile
    response even if you hadn't given me any ideas (which you did).

    Cheers,
    Viller
    Viller Ramone, Jul 25, 2003
  8. On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:23:36 -0500, Glenn Shaw
    <9.co.jp> wrote:

    <my plea for advice on what to do in Indianapolis snipped>>
    >There's the White River Gardens, located between the Indianapolis Zoo and the White River
    >near Downtown. I've never been there myself, but I hear that it's a very nice place. (I
    >also hear that they have butterflies flittering about in the arboretum this time of the
    >year.)

    Sounds like someplace I need to visit.

    <more excellent ideas of what to do snipped>
    >I hope this helps, and I hope you enjoy your stay here in Indy. :)

    It will help a lot. Thank you very much for the assist. Based on what
    people who'd been there told me, I was planning on buying 4 or 5 books
    and spending my evenings wishing I was back in Minnesota. With the
    help provided by you and Tony, I think I'll have a great time.

    Regards,
    Viller
    Viller Ramone, Jul 25, 2003
  9. Viller Ramone

    Herb Kauhry Guest

    Fireside: gone by the wayside.

    other stuff Downtown:
    Walk the Canal, go to Shapiro's Deli for lunch, Indianapolis Museum of Art
    (west side of town), the Indiana War Memorial, Robert's Imaging (pro shop
    for camera stuff!!), Bazbeaux for EXCELLENT pizza and the rest of Mass
    Avenue for food, drink entertainment, Alcatraz or Rock Bottom for
    microbrewed beers, Shula's for steaks in the Westin Hotel, Indians baseball
    at Victory Field, Claddagh's Irish Pub for Guiness and awesome fish and
    chips, Slippery Noodle for beer and blues, Broad Ripple (northside),
    Indianapolis Raceway Park (westside) for racing, take a walk through
    Lockerby Square, Holcomb Observatory at Butler Univ., Indiana State Museum,
    Indiana Historical Society, Military Park, see a movie at Circle Center,
    White Castle (burgers, kind of), take a tour of the RCA dome (although
    essentially identical to the HHH dome in Minn.), dinner and closeup magic at
    Magic Moments, observation deck at Union Planter's tower, your choice of at
    least 10 Starbucks :), Long's donuts, Charlie and Barney's for chili.
    Take a horse-and-carriage ride in the evening. Malibu on Maryland for food
    of all sorts.

    Herb Kauhry, Jul 25, 2003
  10. Viller Ramone

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 20:25:56 -0500, Viller Ramone
    <> wrote:

    >It will help a lot. Thank you very much for the assist. Based on what
    >people who'd been there told me, I was planning on buying 4 or 5 books
    >and spending my evenings wishing I was back in Minnesota. With the
    >help provided by you and Tony, I think I'll have a great time.

    You didn't say you were from Minnesota. OK, you want photo
    opportunities in Indianapolis:

    Pick any outdoor place at random and take a picture of anything at
    random. Show this to your friends in Minnesota and say "This is an
    outdoor scene where there are no black flies." Your friends will be
    amazed, if only slightly disbelieving.

    Pick any outdoor place at random and take a picture of anything at
    random. Show this to your friends in Minnesota and say "This is an
    outdoor scene where there are no lakes visible." Your friends will be
    amazed, if only slightly disbelieving.

    Pick any Hook's or Haag's drugstore and take a picture of it. Show
    this to your friends in Minnesota and say "This is the largest indoor
    shopping mall in Indiana. Your friend will be amazed, and feel smugly
    superior.

    Now, this thing about their being five books about things to see and
    do in Indianapolis...I am amazed, and slightly disbelieving.

    Tony Cooper, Jul 25, 2003
  11. Viller Ramone

    Guest

    Hi there, Viller!
    Congratulations on being asked to go to Indy for a week's training. I
    live in Indiana, but have been to many cities and areas around this
    country. I'll tell you that Indy is one of my favorite places to go.
    Photography opportunities abound, as they will in any city. In
    particular, I love the White River State Park area a short mile from
    the
    circle. (easy walk!) There, you will find, not only the canal with
    walkway, but picnic areas all nicely landscaped. You will also find
    the
    Indianapolis Zoo (a great zoo which we think compares favorably to
    world-class zoos), the White River Gardens (a fine botanical garden
    which has a large and lovely indoor display area too), the Indiana
    State
    Museum, Eitlegorg museum of Native American Art, ... NCAA building..
    and
    probably more that I'm not remembering.
    Right downtown is the Circle Center Mall which sounds kinda ordinary,
    till you actually see it and walk around in it. It has corridors that
    pass right over the city streets with high glass architecture. I
    really
    like it. There are some nice restaurants in that area too.
    The Indianapolis Art Museum is lovely. The collections are superb, and
    the grounds are beautiful. The Lilly house is part of the museum and
    shouldn't be missed either.
    In what part of the city is your training? I probably can turn you on
    more recommendations. :) Indy's a great place. I wish you a great
    week!
    Always me, Janee
    (in Bloomington, Indiana)

    http://myjanee.com/
    , Jul 26, 2003
  12. On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 15:49:47 GMT, wrote:

    >Hi there, Viller!

    <good ideas snipped>
    >In what part of the city is your training? I probably can turn you on
    >to more recommendations. :) Indy's a great place. I wish you a great
    >week!

    I'm staying at the Marriott Downtown, which is (according to their web
    site) a mere .3 miles from the Circle Centre mall and only a mile from
    the zoo. I'll certainly check out the former, but I'll be unable to
    see the latter 9in training all day, alas). I'll certainly be checking
    out many of the other things that've been suggested, as well.

    Thanks again to everyone who replied.
    Viller Ramone, Jul 26, 2003