    can anyone here recommend? I'm not a real high power user, only web
    surfing, and some gaming. Thank you to all who can help!!

    RBS

    RoryBellows, Jul 19, 2004

  2. RoryBellows

    Justin Guest

    (RoryBellows) wrote in news:dc8b747e.0407191122.357bf3a2
    @posting.google.com:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > Looking to buy a new system soon. Right now I have a Gateway
    > G6-450, had it since "99". Looking to move up to something a little
    > more modern. I want to buy a Dell, don't want to go over 2K. What
    > can anyone here recommend? I'm not a real high power user, only web
    > surfing, and some gaming. Thank you to all who can help!!
    >
    > RBS

    Have you considered an Alienware machine? They have a very good reputation
    for reliability and good customer service. They have PC's from $900 up to
    $3000 and everything in between. If you're a light user (don't need to
    play the latest and greatest games), you might be able to get away with a
    $500-$600 PC, with built in sound, video, ethernet, etc..

    Justin, Jul 19, 2004

  3. RoryBellows

    Adam Steiner Guest

    "RoryBellows" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Looking to buy a new system soon. Right now I have a Gateway
    > G6-450, had it since "99". Looking to move up to something a little
    > more modern. I want to buy a Dell, don't want to go over 2K. What
    > can anyone here recommend? I'm not a real high power user, only web
    > surfing, and some gaming. Thank you to all who can help!!
    >
    > RBS

    Depending on your confidence in yourself, I would say try building it
    yourself. I think you'll get a lot out of the research of the various
    parts, you'll have a good time building it, and everyone on this newsgroup
    would love to help.

    --Adam

    Adam Steiner, Jul 20, 2004
  4. RoryBellows

    Michael-NC Guest

    A P4 3.0GHz CPU, 512 MB system ram, DVD combo drive, 120GB hard drive and
    nVidia5700 or ATI 9700 graphics as a baseline for your core components
    should be just fine. If you decide to not get a Dell, just substitute an AMD
    64 3000 for the CPU. You should be able to get a system like that for less
    than your budget.

    Michael-NC, Jul 20, 2004
  5. RoryBellows

    Ionizer Guest

    > Hi All,
    >
    > Looking to buy a new system soon. Right now I have a Gateway
    > G6-450, had it since "99". Looking to move up to something a little
    > more modern. I want to buy a Dell, don't want to go over 2K. What
    > can anyone here recommend? I'm not a real high power user, only web
    > surfing, and some gaming. Thank you to all who can help!!

    There's not much that the second system on this page won't be able to
    handle, and at a price of $1,089 after rebates, you'll have plenty of cash
    left over from your $2,000 budget:
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/advertised_dimen8400?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

    It's got 1GB of SDRAM, a huge hard drive, a fast graphics card, a
    SoundBlaster Live sound card, and speakers with a subwoofer. Note that a
    floppy drive is a $30 option.

    My brother and I have had consistently good experiences with Dell- their
    systems and their service. YMMV.

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Jul 20, 2004
  6. John H. Power, the nameless dolt wrote:

    > Do not listen to anything this nameless dolt

    Ok.

    *plonk*

    <aside>
    Three over the edge in a week.

    John H. Power, the nameless dolt, Jul 20, 2004
  7. RoryBellows

    Keyser Soze Guest

    John H. Power, the nameless dolt wrote:
    > John H. Power, the nameless dolt wrote:
    >
    >> Do not listen to anything this nameless dolt

    > Ok.
    >
    > *plonk*
    >
    > <aside>
    > Three over the edge in a week.

    LOL

    engrish is not their first language, *obviously*. <relic, see how I'm hinged
    on your every word?>

    Keyser Soze, Jul 20, 2004
  8. RoryBellows

    RoryBellows Guest

    Thank you to all who have replied!! I went with the DELL!!

    RoryBellows, Jul 20, 2004
  9. On 20 Jul 2004 06:31:49 -0700, (RoryBellows) wrote:

    >Thank you to all who have replied!! I went with the DELL!!
    >

    >"Michael-NC" <> wrote in message news:<0z_Kc.142835$>...
    >> A P4 3.0GHz CPU, 512 MB system ram, DVD combo drive, 120GB hard drive and
    >> nVidia5700 or ATI 9700 graphics as a baseline for your core components
    >> should be just fine. If you decide to not get a Dell, just substitute an AMD
    >> 64 3000 for the CPU. You should be able to get a system like that for less
    >> than your budget.
    >>

    >> "RoryBellows" <> wrote in message
    >> > Hi All,
    >> >
    >> > Looking to buy a new system soon. Right now I have a Gateway
    >> > G6-450, had it since "99". Looking to move up to something a little
    >> > more modern. I want to buy a Dell, don't want to go over 2K. What
    >> > can anyone here recommend? I'm not a real high power user, only web
    >> > surfing, and some gaming. Thank you to all who can help!!
    >> >
    >> > RBS

    That's a good choice. I have had a number of Dells and have always
    had good luck with them. I currently have 7 computers and 2 are
    Dells. They are my oldest ones and I have never had a problem with
    either. However, since I prefer Memory Stick as my storage media I
    have been using Sonys lately and they too have served me well.

    John H. Power, Jul 20, 2004
  10. RoryBellows

    Justin Guest

    > My brother and I have had consistently good experiences with Dell-
    > their systems and their service. YMMV.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ian.

    Yeah, Dells are alright but are starting to become the Wal-Mart Supercenter
    for PC's. I tend to aviod huge corporations and go with mom and pop PC
    stores (for complete systems and to buy parts). I've bought about 5
    systems from mom and pops and only had minor problems with 2 of them. both
    solved by a quick trip down to the store and they fixed the problem while I
    waited. Local stores keep your money locally. And the prices are
    comparable, if not better, than Dells. Resist the Borg. Fight the Power.

    Justin, Jul 20, 2004
  11. RoryBellows

    ProfGene Guest

    If you don't need anything for highpowered games say just low requirement
    games then you could get a good enough system for about four or five hundred
    dollars even a Dell unless you want a flat panel but even then it should be
    less than or near a thousand dollars. For two thousand you can get a pretty
    high powered systemt that would go beyond what you are talking about. I
    have not really used many name brand since I build most of my own systems
    but there are some good buys at sites like Tigerdirect which has their own
    systems and also sells name brands. At least at their site you can see lots
    of features that the machines can do. There are certain convenience things
    you might look at such as front panel USB and other type ports. For the 2k
    price you should get a DVD burner but if you have no use for it go with the
    lower priced systems.

    ProfGene, Jul 20, 2004
  12. RoryBellows

    RoryBellows Guest

    Thanks for the input Ian! Here is the system I went with.

    Dimension 8400
    Pentium® 4 Processor 530 with HT Technology (3GHz, 800 FSB),
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional Qty: 1
    Unit Price: $1,766.00
    Dimension 8400 Pentium® 4 Processor 530 with HT Technology (3GHz, 800
    FSB)
    S308H
    Memory 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz (2x512M) 1GB4

    Keyboard Dell ® Quietkey ® Keyboard
    QK

    Monitor 17 in E172FPb Flat Panel Display
    E172FP

    Video Card 128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X300 SE
    X300SE

    Hard Drive 250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
    250S

    Floppy Drive and Additional Storage Devices No Floppy Drive Included
    NFD

    Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional
    WPXP

    Mouse Dell® 2-button scroll mouse
    SM

    Network Interface Integrated Gigabit Ethernet
    IN

    Modem 56K PCI Data/Fax Modem
    DFAX

    CD ROM/DVD ROM Dual Drives:48xCD-RW Drive + SAVE $109! 12x DVD+RW/+R
    w/ double layer write
    CDR2DVP

    Sound Card Sound Blaster Audigy™2 (D) Card w/Dolby 5.1, and IEEE 1394
    capability
    SBA2

    Speakers No Speaker Option

    Productivity Software Productivity Pack including WordPerfect®
    CORELM

    Security Software Norton Internet Security™, 90 day trial
    NIS90

    Digital Music Dell Jukebox powered by MUSICMATCH
    MMBASE

    Digital Photography Paint Shop™ Pro® Trial plus Photo Album™ Starter
    Edition
    DPS

    Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options 1 Year Limited Warranty
    plus 1 Year At-Home Service
    S111OS

    Dial-up Internet Access 6 Months of America Online Membership Included
    AOLEPP

    Mail-In Rebate Offer Save $150 with mail-in rebate. Price shown before
    rebate.

    Personal Finance Software Microsoft® Money 2004 Standard
    MNY

    Dell Media Experience Dell Media Experience™
    DMX

    RoryBellows, Jul 21, 2004
  13. On 21 Jul 2004 06:41:11 -0700, (RoryBellows) wrote:

> [...]
    >> >
    >> > Looking to buy a new system soon. Right now I have a Gateway
    >> > G6-450, had it since "99". Looking to move up to something a little
    >> > more modern. I want to buy a Dell, don't want to go over 2K. What
    >> > can anyone here recommend? I'm not a real high power user, only web
    >> > surfing, and some gaming. Thank you to all who can help!!
    >> >

    >> There's not much that the second system on this page won't be able to
    >> handle, and at a price of $1,089 after rebates, you'll have plenty of cash
    >> left over from your $2,000 budget:
    >> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/advertised_dimen8400?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
    >>
    >> It's got 1GB of SDRAM, a huge hard drive, a fast graphics card, a
    >> SoundBlaster Live sound card, and speakers with a subwoofer. Note that a
    >> floppy drive is a $30 option.
    >>
    >> My brother and I have had consistently good experiences with Dell- their

    Congratulations. That will serve you well. Have fun with it.

    John H. Power, Jul 21, 2004