    --
    ----------------------------
    Michael Reinders
    Michael Reinders, Jul 1, 2006

  2. Michael Reinders

    bongo rule Guest

    "Michael Reinders" <> wrote in message
    news:qFipg.1746$-kc.rr.com...
    >I got a new, boxed Canon S3 on eBay about 3 weeks ago. I used an A-Open
    >Turbo 150x 4 GB SD for about a week and a half, it worked great, then all
    >of a sudden, I got a Memory Card Error and have since returned it to
    >zipzoomfly. A replacement should arrive tomorrow.
    >
    > Last week, I went to Best Buy, got a PNY 2 GB SD card, and just 10 minutes
    > ago, I took about 30 pictures. I shut it off. I turned it back on to
    > take a picture, and BAM!, Memory Card Error.
    >
    > What is more likely, I got 2 'bad' memory cards or the camera needs to be
    > replaced? Should I contact Canon, the eBay seller???
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > --
    > ----------------------------
    > Michael Reinders

    on the odd occasion this has happened to me, I plug the camera into my comp,
    then format the card using windows.
    bongo rule, Jul 1, 2006

  3. Michael Reinders

    Dave Cohen Guest

    bongo rule wrote:
    > "Michael Reinders" <> wrote in message
    >> I got a new, boxed Canon S3 on eBay about 3 weeks ago. I used an A-Open
    >> Turbo 150x 4 GB SD for about a week and a half, it worked great, then all
    >> of a sudden, I got a Memory Card Error and have since returned it to
    >> zipzoomfly. A replacement should arrive tomorrow.
    >>
    >> Last week, I went to Best Buy, got a PNY 2 GB SD card, and just 10 minutes
    >> ago, I took about 30 pictures. I shut it off. I turned it back on to
    >> take a picture, and BAM!, Memory Card Error.
    >>
    >> What is more likely, I got 2 'bad' memory cards or the camera needs to be
    >> replaced? Should I contact Canon, the eBay seller???
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> --
    >> ----------------------------
    >> Michael Reinders
    >>

    > on the odd occasion this has happened to me, I plug the camera into my comp,
    > then format the card using windows.

    On my A95, I've formatted in camera and in winxp both fa16 and fat32 and
    all seems well. Fat32 was just for test, the card capacity (256mb)
    clearly requires fat16.

    I would download cw103.zip from PhotoRescue (free), wipe card and format
    in camera. Make sure you only turn camera off when not writing data to
    card. While off brand cards are probably ok, I would stick with
    something with a name like Sandisk, Lexar, Kingston.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Jul 1, 2006
  4. My S3 IS is rock solid with 1GB, 2GB and 4GB SD cards. I have taken over
    2500 shots with it so far. If your replacement SD card shows any sign of
    malfunction, I'd say the camera is bad.

    Bye.

    David Sommers, Jul 1, 2006
  5. Michael Reinders

    tomm42 Guest

    Michael Reinders wrote:
    > I got a new, boxed Canon S3 on eBay about 3 weeks ago. I used an A-Open
    > Turbo 150x 4 GB SD for about a week and a half, it worked great, then all of
    > a sudden, I got a Memory Card Error and have since returned it to
    > zipzoomfly. A replacement should arrive tomorrow.
    >
    > Last week, I went to Best Buy, got a PNY 2 GB SD card, and just 10 minutes
    > ago, I took about 30 pictures. I shut it off. I turned it back on to take
    > a picture, and BAM!, Memory Card Error.
    >
    > What is more likely, I got 2 'bad' memory cards or the camera needs to be
    > replaced? Should I contact Canon, the eBay seller???
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > --
    > ----------------------------
    > Michael Reinders

    Did you format the card in the camera? If you did I'd take the camera
    back for a check up. If you didn't format the card in the camera, cards
    definitly work better when you do. I have seen cards work not formated
    and all of a sudden fail , as your did. Also get a card reader to
    transfer your images, especially if you have multiple cards. Cameras
    will down load to your computer, but the manufacturers don't want you
    to do drive utilities with them. I have had card failures that I had to
    format the card from a card reader, then do a camera format and that
    brought back the card.

    Tom
    tomm42, Jul 1, 2006
  6. Michael Reinders wrote:
    > I got a new, boxed Canon S3 on eBay about 3 weeks ago. I used an A-Open
    > Turbo 150x 4 GB SD for about a week and a half, it worked great, then all of
    > a sudden, I got a Memory Card Error and have since returned it to
    > zipzoomfly. A replacement should arrive tomorrow.
    >
    > Last week, I went to Best Buy, got a PNY 2 GB SD card, and just 10 minutes
    > ago, I took about 30 pictures. I shut it off. I turned it back on to take
    > a picture, and BAM!, Memory Card Error.
    >
    > What is more likely, I got 2 'bad' memory cards or the camera needs to be
    > replaced? Should I contact Canon, the eBay seller???
    >
    > Thanks!

    Like several others I feel that you may need to reformat the card. I do
    this in another camera. Usually I can download the images thru the other
    camera, then format. After reinserting the card in the offending camera
    I then format it again. Works for me, YMMV.

    EJ in NJ
    Ernie Willson, Jul 1, 2006