Going straight

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Ragnar, Dec 6, 2007.

  1. Ragnar

    Ragnar Guest

    I have decided to 'go straight' and replace my slightly dodgy installation
    of Windows XP Pro with a legitimate version that I can authenticate online
    with Microsoft. So I bought an OEM version on Ebay.

    It has just arrived and comes with a COA as advertised. However it is a
    Fujitsu-Siemens recovery version and my computer is not a Fujitsu-Siemens.

    First question - can I do a format and install using this disk? (I suspect
    the answer is NO)

    Second question (if the answer was NO) - can I keep my present install
    (which works perfectly well by the way) and use my legitimately-acquired COA
    in some way to authenticate it? If so does anyone have a link to a good site
    that gives blow-by-blow instructions for doing this?

    If the worst comes to the worst I can just send the disk back and get a
    refund.

    TIA
    R.
    Ragnar, Dec 6, 2007

  2. Ragnar

    Ork . Guest

    NO,NO,NO,NO

    Sorry about that..
    Ork ., Dec 7, 2007

  3. Ragnar

    fruitbat Guest

    "Ragnar" <> wrote in message
    >I have decided to 'go straight' and replace my slightly dodgy installation
    >of Windows XP Pro with a legitimate version that I can authenticate online
    >with Microsoft. So I bought an OEM version on Ebay.
    >
    > It has just arrived and comes with a COA as advertised. However it is a
    > Fujitsu-Siemens recovery version and my computer is not a Fujitsu-Siemens.
    >
    > First question - can I do a format and install using this disk? (I suspect
    > the answer is NO)

    I do not know the answer to your question - but if it was me I would
    a. make a full image of my existing boot drive with software such as
    Acronis
    b. fully install the new XP Pro
    c. only restore the full image if there is now a problem
    fruitbat, Dec 8, 2007
  4. Ragnar

    JTJersey Guest

    On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 13:38:53 +0000, Ragnar wrote:

    > So I bought an OEM version on Ebay.

    Always an iffy situation. A lot of bogus software gets sold on EBay.

    > It has just arrived and comes with a COA as advertised. However it is a
    > Fujitsu-Siemens recovery version and my computer is not a
    > Fujitsu-Siemens.
    >
    > First question - can I do a format and install using this disk? (I
    > suspect the answer is NO)

    I've done this several time's with CD's I purchased from eDirect Software
    which were shrink wrapped Windows XP branded by Dell, but a full recovery
    disk? Back up your stuff and try it out.

    > Second question (if the answer was NO) - can I keep my present install
    > (which works perfectly well by the way) and use my legitimately-acquired
    > COA in some way to authenticate it? If so does anyone have a link to a
    > good site that gives blow-by-blow instructions for doing this?

    No

    > If the worst comes to the worst I can just send the disk back and get a
    > refund.

    Not unless the guy misrepresented the item. If he told you it was a legit
    copy of Windows XP and failed to mention it was a recovery disk for a
    particular computer that only works in that computer I'd contact him for a
    return.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Dec 8, 2007