Going rate / age of 1 GHz system

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Patrick Dunford, Aug 5, 2004.

  1. What is the going rate these days for a system with approx the following
    specs?

    Pentium 1000
    256 MB
    10 GB HDD
    100mbps NIC (may be onboard)
    onboard video
    onboard sound
    FDD
    USB
    Any version of Windows
    Keyboard and mouse (prefer wheelmouse)
    Optional CDROM or must be in a case that allows a standard CDROM to be
    installed.
    Prefer a low profile desktop (see above); can be a mini tower.

    Would this type of system be approx 3 years old (e.g. ex corporates)

    We are going to have to replace all of our machines 6 years and older
    with at least this spec machine in order to get computers that can run
    Windows XP satisfactorily, since Windows 98 is being phased out. Some of
    the replacement machines may be new but other second hands will be ideal
    for classrooms.

    Patrick Dunford, Aug 5, 2004

  2. Patrick Dunford

    EMB Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > What is the going rate these days for a system with approx the following
    > specs?

    I've been buying Compaq SFF machines of about that spec (PIII 733 - 933)
    at auction for about the $150 - 200+GST mark. All have had Win98SE or
    NT4 CoA's attached. Any that I have seen with a Win2K CoA have tended
    to fetch a bit more.

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply

    EMB, Aug 5, 2004

  3. Patrick Dunford

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >
    > > What is the going rate these days for a system with approx the following
    > > specs?

    > I've been buying Compaq SFF machines of about that spec (PIII 733 - 933)
    > at auction for about the $150 - 200+GST mark. All have had Win98SE or
    > NT4 CoA's attached. Any that I have seen with a Win2K CoA have tended
    > to fetch a bit more.
    >
    > --

    Yeah, given the prices of NEW systems are plummeting (and will probably fall
    further), then anything over $300 for those specs would be robbery.

    You can get a NEW System with a 2.4 processor, 256RAM, etc, for under $1000.
    Of course, like all things, you get what for pay for - but the OP only
    requires a low spec system.

    RJ out.

    Ryan Jacobs, Aug 5, 2004
  4. Patrick Dunford

    EMB Guest

    Ryan Jacobs wrote:

    > Yeah, given the prices of NEW systems are plummeting (and will probably fall
    > further), then anything over $300 for those specs would be robbery.
    >
    > You can get a NEW System with a 2.4 processor, 256RAM, etc, for under $1000.
    > Of course, like all things, you get what for pay for - but the OP only
    > requires a low spec system.

    I think they were for a school, and I know that budget is important but
    IMO buying at that level now is a false economy. They'll be "too slow"
    for some tasks practically before they're installed, unless they're just
    being used as thin clients.

    The only reason I've been buying them is for a business that's still
    running an old character based accounting/CRM package and wants to last
    until next year when they get new premises, server, software and desktops.

    EMB, Aug 5, 2004
  5. Daniel wrote:
    >> I've been buying Compaq SFF machines of about that spec (PIII 733 -
    >> 933) at auction for about the $150 - 200+GST mark. All have had
    >> Win98SE or NT4 CoA's attached. Any that I have seen with a Win2K CoA
    >> have tended to fetch a bit more.

    > Really? Not bad.
    > Which auctioneers sell them for that price?

    HEH, NONE ASSUMING WE ALL FIND OUT AND GO THERE.
    oops, caps, sorry.
    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 5, 2004
  6. Patrick Dunford

    Daniel Guest

    Daniel, Aug 5, 2004
  7. Patrick Dunford

    EMB Guest

    Daniel wrote:

    > Really? Not bad.
    >
    > Which auctioneers sell them for that price?

    Hymans if you find a quiet night with plenty of them available - but
    they seem to be selling more and more off pre-auction. I'm still
    waiting for some servers that I know went to Hymans to actually appear
    in an auction - after 3 months I don't hold much hope of them actually
    appearing.

    EMB, Aug 5, 2004
  8. Patrick Dunford

    Daniel Guest

    Ryan Jacobs wrote:

    > Yeah, given the prices of NEW systems are plummeting (and will probably fall
    > further), then anything over $300 for those specs would be robbery.
    >
    > You can get a NEW System with a 2.4 processor, 256RAM, etc, for under $1000.
    > Of course, like all things, you get what for pay for - but the OP only
    > requires a low spec system.
    >
    > RJ out.

    I'm curious to see how things play out in the next few months with the arrival
    of D3, and the commencement of the latest gen of 3D engines (HL2 and CS-Source
    are yet to be released).

    There's not many big retailers (in fact I can't think of any) who sell a stock
    PC that can actually play D3 (I personally wouldn't count GF4MX, FX5200, 9200).

    Apparently The Warehouse $999.99 PC doesn't even have an AGP slot, which could
    be interesting since they also sell D3 for $80.

    Daniel, Aug 5, 2004
  9. Patrick Dunford

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <ces2vp$18m$>,
    Daniel <> wrote:

    >Which auctioneers sell them for that price?

    You mean, which auction patrons bid them up to that price?

    At a recent Turners auction in Wellington, ex-lease 600-700 MHz class
    machines (mainly Compaq Deskpro) with 17 inch monitors (mainly Compaq and
    Philips) and mainly W98 CoA were going for about $250 inclusive.

    It's ironic that people who are too smart to engage in politics
    are governed by people who are not as smart.

    Don Hills, Aug 5, 2004
  10. Patrick Dunford

    Daniel Guest

    Don Hills wrote:
    > In article <ces2vp$18m$>,
    > Daniel <> wrote:
    >
    >>Which auctioneers sell them for that price?

    > You mean, which auction patrons bid them up to that price?
    >
    > At a recent Turners auction in Wellington, ex-lease 600-700 MHz class
    > machines (mainly Compaq Deskpro) with 17 inch monitors (mainly Compaq and
    > Philips) and mainly W98 CoA were going for about $250 inclusive.

    Apologies for the vagueness, I should've said which auctioneers sell them
    with those reserve prices.

    Daniel, Aug 5, 2004
  11. Patrick Dunford

    Daniel Guest

    Daniel wrote:
    > Don Hills wrote:
    >
    >> In article <ces2vp$18m$>,
    >> Daniel <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Which auctioneers sell them for that price?

    >> You mean, which auction patrons bid them up to that price?
    >>
    >> At a recent Turners auction in Wellington, ex-lease 600-700 MHz class
    >> machines (mainly Compaq Deskpro) with 17 inch monitors (mainly Compaq and
    >> Philips) and mainly W98 CoA were going for about $250 inclusive.
    >>

    > Apologies for the vagueness, I should've said which auctioneers sell them
    > with those reserve prices.

    ....or rather reserve prices at least as low if not lower

    Daniel, Aug 5, 2004
  12. In article <ces2pk$122$>, says...
    > Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    >

    > > Yeah, given the prices of NEW systems are plummeting (and will probably fall
    > > further), then anything over $300 for those specs would be robbery.
    > >
    > > You can get a NEW System with a 2.4 processor, 256RAM, etc, for under $1000.
    > > Of course, like all things, you get what for pay for - but the OP only
    > > requires a low spec system.
    > >

    > I think they were for a school, and I know that budget is important but
    > IMO buying at that level now is a false economy. They'll be "too slow"
    > for some tasks practically before they're installed, unless they're just
    > being used as thin clients.

    A 1G CPU is easily fast enough to do video editing, for example. I have
    done editing at full DV 28Mbps on a 1G pentium, the only problem was
    running out of HDD space.

    Running Windows XP and 99% of apps it is more than fast enough.

    Patrick Dunford, Aug 5, 2004